post #91 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

LOL. Nobody gives a crap what you're watching it on.

ron

I give a crap.

Perhaps I misremembered.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

rough day?

Nah, that's just our boy Ron. And get off his lawn, willya?

Actually, he speaks the truth by and large. Far too much complaining around here where genre shows are concerned. (Sci-fi fans tend to eat their young.) But in this case, the writing really is kinda' trite and weak IMO. Not what I was expecting from a JJ show. Feels sort of second string compared to LOST or 'Fringe'. Gives me no pleasure to say that as I want all these shows to succeed. Best thing about this show so far?

Charlie frakkin' Jade! Woot! Always good to see Jeffrey Pierce getting some work. Hope they make him a regular.

However, if this show has to die for 'Fringe' to live one more season, I'm fine with that.
post #93 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Well the three main mystery points behind this story are HOW, WHO and WHY?

How was it done?
Who is behind it?
Why did/are they do(ing) it?

I love that the Hurley character (give me time with new role names) asked why every one is not amazed at the time travel aspect of this mystery

Notice that the two returned convicts we have seen each has stepped out of his M.O. for one action. The first guy did revenge kilings but then went after the key and the sniper, while killing like he did before also stepped out of his M.O. by setting up and shooting Sam Neil's assistant.

Wonder if we will see or find out something about the guards that went missing in 1963?

Why did they recreate the Alcatraz cell block in that underground bunker they have brought the two captured cons to?

The lead detectives uncle or whomever he is to her it (the bartender) and was a guard on the rock...I bet he knows a lot more than he is letting on.

There is enough there for me to watch it and see if we get some answers (probaly with more questions as well).

Argee
post #94 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

I love that the Hurley character (give me time with new role names)
......setting up and shooting Sam Neil's assistant.
......the lead detectives uncle or whomever he is to her it (the bartender) and was a guard on the rock...I bet he knows a lot more than he is letting on.

When folks can't think of a principal character's name, they can refer to this post. Consider it a public service.

Sam Neill = Emerson Hauser
his ageless, wounded hot colleague = Lucy Banergee
Hurley = Diego Soto
Hot blond cop = Det. Rebecca Madson
Charlie Jade = Jack Sylvane
Loner sniper = Ernest Cobb
1963 Warden = Chief Warden Edwin James
Robert Forster = Ray Archer
post #95 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Actually, he speaks the truth by and large. Far too much complaining around here where genre shows are concerned. (Sci-fi fans tend to eat their young.) ?

But it was the fracking pilot Anyone who has complained was at least giving the show a look see. Other than that, I agree. I've always wondered why those who post repeatedly about how bad a show is just don't do something else-see the WD thread for example. But anyways, there were some good things about this show. They need to address some gaping errors in logic but the overall concept isn't bad. Can't help wondering about Hur...er, Diego, and what is his role in the overall story. I'm sure he knows a lot more than he seems and could easily turn out to have a sinister interest in the investigation, methinks...Having the character being so similiar to someone everyone liked could be a clever set up for a big reveal..and I do want to see more of Sarah Jones

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #96 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

They need to address some gaping errors in logic but the overall concept isn't bad.

If you can accept the premise, I would think any subsequent errors in logic would be moot.

I'm just sayin' ...
post #97 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I wonder if the lead FBI guy (older gentleman, name escapes me) knows his partner was also the doctor at alcatraz back then. Maybe he knows way more to why/what and that she has been around a long time or something. Hmmm, wonder how much detail she knows since she was at Alcatraz and also in 2012.

post #98 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Partially annoying.. having to watch the searchlight-animated logo bumping into every commercial break. Unless there's something to that.. code or something as there is in "Fringe." Been months since I saw the advance screener and it was bumper-free.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #99 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

If you can accept the premise, I would think any subsequent errors in logic would be moot.

I'm just sayin' ...

I keep wondering about the guards...did their families just accept they had been transferred without taking them along? Or did I miss something? If they do explain why there wasn't an outcry about those who worked at the prison vanishing I can overlook my other concerns

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #100 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

I keep wondering about the guards...did their families just accept they had been transferred without taking them along? Or did I miss something? If they do explain why there wasn't an outcry about those who worked at the prison vanishing I can overlook my other concerns

Well give it time. They have 12 episodes to flesh out some of these things.

Argee
post #101 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 01:39 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

You really shouldn't be so self-conscious. No one should lack self-esteem to the point where they're calling themselves "Nobody."

All kidding aside, if you don't think the environment where you're watching HD broadcasts matters, or the equipment and lighting conditions, then you need a crash course in Home Video 101. I know people who have fantastic Home Theater equipment and they watch it in a sun-drenched room with the TV on Torch Mode (to make up for all the light coming in). That is bound to affect one's viewing experience. If you have ideal conditions and a good, calibrated TV monitor, you can expect the best viewing conditions possible. This is what I have and yet I still thought the PQ was lacking in Alcatraz.

You can spare me the home theater lessons . I know a little about quality HD and I've also been a frequent and unabashed complainer about lousy PQ (when it's warranted) over the last decade. Now I understand that some Kuro Owners like to think that only they are privileged to see images as they were meant to be seen and that their displays are god's gift to video , but it doesn't take optimum conditions or the highest end TV to see that claims of Alcatraz being "horrible and just barely better than SD" are wild exaggeration. Alcatraz may not have had top shelf HD, but let's be real. It was far better than SD. I actually thought it was pretty decent considering it was a FOX feed.

ron
post #102 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
There is enough there for me to watch it and see if we get some answers (probaly with more questions as well).

This is another one of those shows that promises "the big reveal" to tease you along for week after week. I think sometimes those shows don't know where they are headed and figure they'll figure it out along the way as they write it.

Jorge Garcia is good. It's nice to see him not always being a loser or villain.

This is kinda intriguing, I will admit. But it needs to go somewhere.

CW Hinkle
post #103 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Totally agree! Looked like a good upconverted DVD to me. I don't have AMC but my standard is most of CBS's primetime which put Alcatraz to shame. Don't get me wrong, close ups looked fine but even with DVD close ups can look good. 46" calibrated 1080p Sony LCD in a darkened room(with a slight back light)
I'll give it a few more weeks, don't think it was as bad as some thought but not the best either. If it were better picture quality that might be a selling point but not on my setup. Oh, 1 OTA SD sub so that's not to blame.

Quote:

You can spare me the home theater lessons . I know a little about quality HD and I've also been a frequent and unabashed complainer about lousy PQ (when it's warranted) over the last decade. Now I understand that some Kuro Owners like to think that only they are privileged to see images as they were meant to be seen and that their displays are god's gift to video , but it doesn't take optimum conditions or the highest end TV to see that claims of Alcatraz being "horrible and just barely better than SD" are wild exaggeration. Alcatraz may not have had top shelf HD, but let's be real. It was far better than SD. I actually thought it was pretty decent considering it was a FOX feed.

ron

I thought it would be prudent to include jjeff's post, for he too was underwhelmed by the PQ in Alcatraz. Let me ask you this, "What did you think of the PQ in Fox's series "24?" In a previous post I compared it to that, for IMHO they were both comparable to an upconverted DVD. If you believe the 24 series had good PQ, we have nothing more to say to one another.

Regarding your comments about KURO owners, I am very thankful to have what I consider to be the best plasma ever, but I also believe there are MANY excellent panels (and projectors) out there. My comments were more geared towards the environment and mode setting that some people use for their HD viewing, not the particular display one is using.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #104 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
You were probably addressing ron but I never got into 24 so I can't compare PQ. I've seen some pretty decent HD on FOX but truthfully not as good as other networks.
Oh and when I compare Alcatraz HD to "a good upconverted DVD" it's not meant to be a total slam. I've actually seen some pretty good looking DVDs, as good as some BD's I've seen....but that's a different story
My guess is the PQ of Alcatraz is the way the director wanted it to look and not because of using low quality cameras and such. I'm not a particular fan of this effect and would rather have sharp HD like some other programs but I guess it's the directors call on how they want the end product will look
Nice HD won't make me watch a program I don't like but it does make a good program even more enjoyable.
post #105 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 04:13 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought it would be prudent to include jjeff's post, for he too was underwhelmed by the PQ in Alcatraz. Let me ask you this, "What did you think of the PQ in Fox's series "24?" In a previous post I compared it to that, for IMHO they were both comparable to an upconverted DVD. If you believe the 24 series had good PQ, we have nothing more to say to one another.

Regarding your comments about KURO owners, I am very thankful to have what I consider to be the best plasma ever, but I also believe there are MANY excellent panels (and projectors) out there. My comments were more geared towards the environment and mode setting that some people use for their HD viewing, not the particular display one is using.

For brevity's sake, I won't quote the various other posters who disagreed with you . You originally said the Alcatraz PQ was terrible and barely better than SD. A good upconverted DVD is already significantly better PQ than SDTV, so now you're talking about something different. As far as 24 goes, it's been quite some time since I saw the last ep, but as I recall it was middle of the road HD PQ to me. What I do remember very distinctly though was how dramatically better it looked when our local fox affiliate finally went HD during the 03-04(?) season. Even the middle of the road HD was night and day better than the old SD.

ron
post #106 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

P.S. Did anyone think to try to capture the QR code on Jake's cell in "New Alcatraz"? Just curious if it really led anywhere. I deleted the show before I remembered to go back and try.

I tried but my phone couldn't capture it; I couldn't pause it to make it clear enough (maybe lending credence to the PQ complaints...)
post #107 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Being an Abrams production, one thing I haven't heard anyone complain about yet is lens flare. So at least it's got that going for it.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #108 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 04:25 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You were probably addressing ron but I never got into 24 so I can't compare PQ. I've seen some pretty decent HD on FOX but truthfully not as good as other networks.
Oh and when I compare Alcatraz HD to "a good upconverted DVD" it's not meant to be a total slam. I've actually seen some pretty good looking DVDs, as good as some BD's I've seen....but that's a different story
My guess is the PQ of Alcatraz is the way the director wanted it to look and not because of using low quality cameras and such. I'm not a particular fan of this effect and would rather have sharp HD like some other programs but I guess it's the directors call on how they want the end product will look
Nice HD won't make me watch a program I don't like but it does make a good program even more enjoyable.

I agree that as a rule most FOX programming is generally a step down in PQ from what's on many other channels. Some people always discount the argument but to me their lower resolution is the main factor for it, especially if you're watching on a larger TV from closer distance. But it still looks better than SD

ron
post #109 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Agree with R11, Alcatraz looked fine here in Portland. I'm OTA. Our Fox has no subchannels, so that helps. Fringe is a better example of taking full advantage of color and sound, but no complaints about Alcatraz PQ at all.
post #110 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Being an Abrams production, one thing I haven't heard anyone complain about yet is lens flare. So at least it's got that going for it.

Thankfully! I recently purchased and watched Super 8 and the lens flares were SO distracting, even worse than Star Trek.

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #111 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For brevity's sake, I won't quote the various other posters who disagreed with you . You originally said the Alcatraz PQ was terrible and barely better than SD. A good upconverted DVD is already significantly better PQ than SDTV, so now you're talking about something different. As far as 24 goes, it's been quite some time since I saw the last ep, but as I recall it was middle of the road HD PQ to me. What I do remember very distinctly though was how dramatically better it looked when our local fox affiliate finally went HD during the 03-04(?) season. Even the middle of the road HD was night and day better than the old SD.

ron

Alright...already...I confess to "backpedaling." You are right, I did resort to a bit of hyperbole in saying it was only *barely* better than SD. I guess my recent viewings of Hell on Wheels on AMC, which have been nothing short of phenomenal (PQ-wise), have resulted in me being too judgmental of other broadcasts.

Also, I do agree with jjeff that other major channels offer better HD broadcasting. Take, for example, Hawaii 5-0; the details (especially facial close-ups) and colors are, at times, jaw-dropping. When I watch something like that and then turn to Fox, well....it's NOT GOOD!

post #112 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are probably right about the director's intent on Alcatraz, though in fairness there were some pretty amazing shots sprinkled throughout the Premiere (which I alluded to in an earlier post) so why the inconsistency? Fox, in general, is not as good as other major channels, though there are some programs on Fox that fare better than others.

post #113 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I guess my recent viewings of Hell on Wheels on AMC, which have been nothing short of phenomenal (PQ-wise), have resulted in me being too judgmental of other broadcasts.

AMC's two dramas 'Hell on Wheels' and 'Breaking Bad' are two of the best looking HD shows I've ever seen. Maybe some of it has to do with the breathtakingly beautiful prairie and southwestern vistas they get to shoot, maybe some with the talent of the choreographer, maybe some with the decisions they make in post.

Yet the 'Mad Men' broadcasts have never looked that good to me and they shoot with such bright colors on perfectly lit sets. Bet it looks good on BD, though.
post #114 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 06:25 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alright...already...I confess to "backpedaling." You are right, I did resort to a bit of hyperbole in saying it was only *barely* better than SD. I guess my recent viewings of Hell on Wheels on AMC, which have been nothing short of phenomenal (PQ-wise), have resulted in me being too judgmental of other broadcasts.

Also, I do agree with jjeff that other major channels offer better HD broadcasting. Take, for example, Hawaii 5-0; the details (especially facial close-ups) and colors are, at times, jaw-dropping. When I watch something like that and then turn to Fox, well....it's NOT GOOD!

No worries man. I was a little harsh in my first reply . When you played the Kuro card it struck a chord and took me back several years when I was spending a fair amount of time in the display section researching a new panel. There were a number of kuro zealots who would go into every friggin' thread just so they could post how superior their TV's were . It got really old and made you wish you could just reach right through the internet and smack them upside the head .

ron
post #115 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No worries man. I was a little harsh in my first reply . When you played the Kuro card it struck a chord and took me back several years when I was spending a fair amount of time in the display section researching a new panel. There were a number of kuro zealots who would go into every friggin' thread just so they could post how superior their TV's were . It got really old and made you wish you could just reach right through the internet and smack them upside the head .

ron

I'm glad we "worked things out" R11.

Your experience with "KURO zealots" explains why you reacted as you did to my remarks. I truly *hope* I'm not guilty of being one, though I'm very thankful I was able to buy one at an affordable price (when Pioneer dropped their plasma line). I'm not PROUD, just THANKFUL!

Have a good one!

post #116 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 237
I'll stick around for now but the thing that really annoys me is how they tried to create some compassion for the 2 inmates. They guy in the first hour seemed to be abused by the warden and lost his wife, the 2 hour guy's mommy didn't love him and his sis tried to reach out to him. Sorry but that is going to get old if they are going to try and make us feel sorry for every single inmate. These are suppose to be some of the worst criminals of there time, why do we need to feel sorry for them? Just annoyed me.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #117 of 482 Old 01-19-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

AMC's two dramas 'Hell on Wheels' and 'Breaking Bad' are two of the best looking HD shows I've ever seen. Maybe some of it has to do with the breathtakingly beautiful prairie and southwestern vistas they get to shoot, maybe some with the talent of the choreographer, maybe some with the decisions they make in post.

Yeah, the cinematography is gorgeous on Hell on Wheels. But equally impressive are the MANY close-ups of actors, revealing facial texture that is reference quality all the way. Details in general are superb and the depth is so good at times I have to check to see if I'm wearing those funny glasses!

post #118 of 482 Old 01-20-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Watched ep 01 and ep 02...
Only saw two good reasons to continue watching future episodes

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #119 of 482 Old 01-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

...Only saw two good reasons to continue watching future episodes

But, those are two BIG reasons.

Steve
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
My DVDs
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

post #120 of 482 Old 01-20-2012, 06:41 PM

Liked: 15
Speculation. We'll see what the writers decided. The 63's disappeared either through supernatural means, or conventional means. I'm figuring conventional, such as knockout gas; it would explain all those unlocked doors.

I don't know how Sylvane got placed where he was found. Maybe from the night before so he simply woke up.

Why hasn't he aged? Maybe was in suspended animation? It seems likely he was "programmed" for a mission at Present Day though.

First two episodes raised a lot of questions. Let's see what happens, even if it is a Crook of the Week format.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page