post #181 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

if this show has to die for 'Fringe', a much better show IMO, to live then I'm fine with that.

At the time Fringe started, we had spent 4+ yrs with BSG, were heavily involved in Lost winding up and I didn't want to get sucked into a new serial right away that *could* have been cancelled after its 1st season, like so many others.

After V & The Event, I'm ready! Sometime this quarter, I'll start Fringe season 1 on BD. I hope it doesn't get cancelled since I've read pretty good things about it for scifi fans.

Glad to read your endorsement for Fringe.

Alcatraz hasn't hooked us yet like Lost did out of the gate, but the acting is OK, it isn't bad per se and I can hang with it to see more of the mystery revealed.

After all my criticism of Terra Nova, I thought it was time to post some positive things about a network show

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

After all my criticism of Terra Nova, I thought it was time to post some positive things about a network show

I'd rate TN ahead of 'Alcatraz' so far. I can see this "killer of the week" format getting old after awhile. Dinosaurs never get old. When Rebecca looked at the wall of prisoners still to show up and talked about how many of them there were, I couldn't help but think: one per week, that's a long run - JJ's being pretty optimistic.
post #183 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I'd rate TN ahead of 'Alcatraz' so far. I can see this "killer of the week" format getting old after awhile. Dinosaurs never get old. When Rebecca looked at the wall of prisoners still to show up and talked about how many of them there were, I couldn't help but think: one per week, that's a long run - JJ's being pretty optimistic.

My thoughts exactly!

I've been pretty critical of the PQ in previous posts; last night's episode was much better, perhaps because there were more daytime and outdoor scenes.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #184 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 43
This show feels like it is getting worse by the week. This lead actress is average at best. Maybe they should kill her off and bring back her partner.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #185 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Something about the last episode just really irritated me. I found my self fast forwarding a lot and eventually just deleted the episode.
post #186 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Unfortunately this show hasn't impressed me the way I was hoping. Pretty much on par with everyone's thoughts here, it just seems like a standard uninspired man-hunt cop show til the end of the episodes. Given the short season we'll stick with it for this year, but unless it improves, we'll likely dump it from our list next year.
post #187 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Terra Nova to me could almost be on saturday afternoons with the cartoons for the kids. Sort of "land of the lost" stuff. Don't get me wrong, I watch it, but a lot is really kiddie material.
post #188 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
It's only been 4 episodes right? I'm finding it watchable and interesting. The girl is a cypher at the moment and not adding much, but that's how I felt about Anna Torv in the first season of Fringe only to discover that's how she was written and she opened up greatly as time passed.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #189 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Those last two minutes were awesome. Did the warden say a subterranean visitor wants to talk to you? What the heck was that????

post #190 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 11:36 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

My thoughts exactly!

I've been pretty critical of the PQ in previous posts; last night's episode was much better, perhaps because there were more daytime and outdoor scenes.

The PQ of Alcatraz has been virtually the same every week via comcast here in Portland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

Terra Nova to me could almost be on saturday afternoons with the cartoons for the kids. Sort of "land of the lost" stuff. Don't get me wrong, I watch it, but a lot is really kiddie material.

Yeah, that's my feeling as well. I still enjoy TN even with it's obvious aim at the younger audience, but Alcatraz just has a far more mature feel to it. That's not to say it doesn't have it's own weaknesses as well of course.

Hausers comment that analyzing the key might shed some light on how the prisoners "jumped" was interesting. Assuming he actually does know for sure, it would seem to rule out other theories about cryogenics, non-aging or cloning etc, and narrow it down to some kind of time jumping. Especially since the laser cut keys apparently used in the past came from more current times indicating movement both ways. Just who/what is the "subterranean visitant" that wanted the parley with the rat prisoner at the end? Were they sending him in to play a round of Riddles in the Dark with Gollum? Or maybe it was just Tiller's "gimp sister" showing up via the underground tunnel for her regular session and the guy was being sent in to, uh, "keep her company" for a while

ron
post #191 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Those last two minutes were awesome. Did the warden say a subterranean visitor wants to talk to you? What the heck was that????

Yeah, it ended on a high note, for sure. The warden needed 3 of those "special" keys to open that door. And didn't he say to that prisoner, your future just got brighter?

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #192 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

...Were they sending him in to play a round of Riddles in the Dark with Gollum? Or maybe it was just Tiller's "gimp sister" showing up via the underground tunnel for her regular session and the guy was being sent in to, uh, "keep her company" for a while

ron

Tiller's gimp sister is played by Geri Jewell, an actress who actually has cerebral palsy. She wasn't ACTING that part at all.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #193 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 02:03 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Tiller's gimp sister is played by Geri Jewell, an actress who actually has cerebral palsy. She wasn't ACTING that part at all.

Down boy! You might have noticed the quotation marks I used? The inmate Cal Sweeny character referred to her with that name when explaining who she was to the other inmate at the dinner party. No disrespect on my part as I am know her story well from back in the Deadwood days. Is it possible that your ChurchAV guy status has made you a bit too trigger happy on the PC patrol perhaps? BTW, I eat babies for lunch and kick my dog when I get home too

ron
post #194 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

No disrespect on my part as I am know her story well from back in the Deadwood days

Well, I'll be dipped! She was Jewel on Deadwood? It's weird how I never placed her when I watched that, but I immediately recognized her here, not only from her standup days, but also from Facts of Life (don't judge me ...).
post #195 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Down boy! You might have noticed the quotation marks I used? The inmate Cal Sweeny character referred to her with that name when explaining who she was to the other inmate at the dinner party. No disrespect on my part as I am know her story well from back in the Deadwood days. Is it possible that your ChurchAV guy status has made you a bit too trigger happy on the PC patrol perhaps? BTW, I eat babies for lunch and kick my dog when I get home too

ron

Perhaps my use of caps and bold text made my comment seem more harsh than I had intended. My apologies for the unintended tone. Most people are unaware that she really has cerebral palsy, and isn't just acting like she has it.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #196 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The PQ of Alcatraz has been virtually the same every week via comcast here in Portland.

ron

Yeah, but like I said, last night's episode had more daytime and outdoor scenes, which even in earlier episodes fared better than those at night or indoors.

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #197 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

She was Blair's cousin or something on Fact of Life, correct?

Yes, I really did type that. Man card revoked.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #198 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

I think someone mentioned that earlier.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #199 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 04:35 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Perhaps my use of caps and bold text made my comment seem more harsh than I had intended. My apologies for the unintended tone. Most people are unaware that she really has cerebral palsy, and isn't just acting like she has it.

No harm done! I've got pretty thick skin and I understood it would have been seemed pretty base if a person didn't happen to catch the character using the name in the show anyway.

ron
post #200 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No harm done! I've got pretty thick skin and I understood it would have been seemed pretty base if a person didn't happen to catch the character using the name in the show anyway.

ron

What I didn't catch was that your quote was in face a quote from the show itself. My memory isn't quite that specific about a show I was watching while falling asleep.

Luke

post #201 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
so if the keys were laser cut, and the warden had them, it means they were doing some time travel back in '63, before the prisoners vanished, correct?

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #202 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

so if the keys were laser cut, and the warden had them, it means they were doing some time travel back in '63, before the prisoners vanished, correct?

Or the same group that Manchurianed the prisoners have access to top secret advanced government technology and just made the keys back in 1963.

We might just be watching The Event Pt.2

post #203 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 327
^^
if the other Sarah shows up with her spacy stares, we heard it here 1st

Steve
post #204 of 482 Old 02-01-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The girl playing the cop is still not bringing much to the role.
post #205 of 482 Old 02-02-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
But she real easy on the eyes . . .

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #206 of 482 Old 02-06-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I actually enjoyed this last episode more than most; it was more intriguing than the typical "crook of the week" fare we've been having and now we finally learned something about the "uncle."

The PQ still sucked though!

post #207 of 482 Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

I actually enjoyed this last episode more than most; it was more intriguing than the typical "crook of the week" fare we've been having and now we finally learned something about the "uncle."

Much more interesting than last week's formulaic excursion. At this point I would say the show should go completely Fringe because I had trouble following this episode and I've been watching from the beginning. Any new viewers would have little chance of following what was happening.

It doesn't help that apart from the warden everyone from the flashbacks looks almost identical. The clean cut guards and the clean cut inmates just blend together to me.

The family tree of the female lead is very confusing. Her grandfather's friend (Tommy, Ray? I couldn't keep up) is actually her uncle and her uncle was the friend of the lead guard. The lead guard is back to the future as is her grandfather. Her uncle took care of her when the father died and knew about the returnees. Who was her father? What happened to him?

So my earlier thought about everyone being gassed and sent to a facility seems more likely now. The question remaining is did they send them through time using something which creates earth tremors or did they just revive them?

post #208 of 482 Old 02-07-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
I agree with the Fringe analogy. I have to concentrate and over extend my brain function during the day to do my job.
I am finding in my 50+ years that I do not like to have to concentrate that hard to follow a television program.
For God's sake can we just make it enjoyable to watch without having to come here to find out what the hell happened?
Thank-you.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #209 of 482 Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I'm beginning to suspect this show thinks its a lot more clever than it really is. Its almost like a parody of Lost, without the fascinating characters and good writing that made Lost stand out in the early seasons.Not giving up yet, but with comic book guy being the only character I even remotely care about I don't think I'll be sticking around much longer. Its starting to seem kinda silly

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #210 of 482 Old 02-07-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

The family tree of the female lead is very confusing. Her grandfather's friend (Tommy, Ray? I couldn't keep up) is actually her uncle and her uncle was the friend of the lead guard. The lead guard is back to the future as is her grandfather. Her uncle took care of her when the father died and knew about the returnees. Who was her father? What happened to him?

I'm glad you said this. I don't feel so dumb anymore.

I thought I was keeping up fine until the end when Tommy said something about being a grandfather. The blond's? I thought William was her grandfather. If it is Tommy, and Ray and Tommy are brothers, then Ray is the blond's great-uncle.

As clear as SF fog ...
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page