Strike Back on Cinemax - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 370 Old 10-18-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 574
I've been catching up on this season the last few days .. had it stacked on the DVR .. I did not realize Andrew Lincoln was in the prequel until I saw the teasers .. I guess he was working in Strike Back and Walking Dead back in 2010 ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 370 Old 10-18-2013, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 69
A+++ season finale

Richmond and Scott!!

Why did they release the diamonds?
post #273 of 370 Old 10-19-2013, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Why did they release the diamonds?

Because Locke figured out that they had taken them.
post #274 of 370 Old 10-19-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 48
It seems like the simplest way to ground that airplane would have been to shoot the tires out.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #275 of 370 Old 10-19-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

It seems like the simplest way to ground that airplane would have been to shoot the tires out.

But that's nearly as much fun!

Bobby 

post #276 of 370 Old 10-19-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

Keep it in this thread, but hopefully we can keep the spoilers to the episodes as they air on Cinemax, as the series is already released as Chris Ryan's Strike Back.
I think that the few of us who've seen the original 6 Strike Back episodes (featuring John Porter) can manage to contain ourselves biggrin.gif
At any rate- I'm positive that fans who've only seen the Cinemax Strike Back episodes (with Scott and Stonebridge) will appreciate the original first season.

First timers who started the show with Cinemax' bacled season 2 will get to see the events that led up to season one lead's (Porter) fate in the season 2 opener.

It reminds me of the classic Doctor Who. After Star Wars exploded in 1977, PBS stations picked up the show, with the BBC starting with the 4th Doctor (season 12 for the show that began in 1974), Tom Baker. His first story opened with the previous Doctor-actor Jon Pertwee unconscious and regenerating into Baker. For years, I wondered what happened in the previous serial. It wasn't until the Colin Baker era-years later (and a production hiatus lasting 18 months), that the Beeb imported the earlier Doctor's seasons. My PBS station ran the show only once a week, and would not break into the rerun cycle when the older eps were added to the package. It was at least 10 years before I got to see how the 3rd Doctor came to be!! :D

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #277 of 370 Old 10-20-2013, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Great wrap up to the season,looking forward to see how they improve next years season. The way Scott's luck goes I have a bad feeling that Richmond will meet her demise,hope not I really like her.

JERRY
post #278 of 370 Old 10-20-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
HBO recently started showing The Hobbit, and I was really surprised to notice that the Dwarf Thorin was played by the same actor that plays John Porter! eek.gif I would never have recognized him by appearance, but there was SOMEHTING familiar. Then, I was looking away from the picture when he was talking, and the vocal patterns and inflections were unmistakable. Sure enough, when the credits rolled at the end, there it was--Richard Armitage. They do an incredible job of masking his real appearance.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #279 of 370 Old 10-20-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #280 of 370 Old 10-21-2013, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Fantastic season finale. Like someone else here said, the production values for the last two episodes rivaled some movies. Much improved over the south African baddie from last season, who's death was largely anti-climatic.
post #281 of 370 Old 10-21-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The addition of Locke this season, I thought added a lot to the show .. hope he's a continuing character .. the whole season I thought was the best yet and the finale was just excellent .. they really did a nice wrap up ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #282 of 370 Old 10-21-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Sorry guys but I thought the season finale of Strike Back was biblically awful. It seemed as if battalions of trapped actors were jumping squadrons of sharks. Let me count the ways. First, when Richmond was next to the plane, why didn't she simply shoot out and disable a couple of engines of the evil Kamali's plane instead of preposterously opening a door to the stairs and climbing aboard? Then, Our Heroes, Stonebridge and Scott drove into the plane with a jeep, although the plane had to be approaching takeoff speed and the rear ramp was at least a couple of feet above the surface of the runway. Sure they did. smile.gif Somebody please tell me that Strike Back has not been renewed. Anyway, this finale so disgusted me, I am out for all all future seasons.

Despite my, admittedly, nearly pathological negative reaction to this season's finale, I ail watch the Brit series that spawned this mess but only because there must have been something good enough there to give rise to the long running US series. OK, now I'm ducking for cover!
post #283 of 370 Old 10-21-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

gwsat,

wow, I haven't seen you this disgusted in a long time. Maybe never. Funny how you mentioned you're ducking for cover tongue.gif

That's harsh that you want to see it cancelled frown.gif

Very cool to see you be so honest though.
post #284 of 370 Old 10-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 43
gswat, I agree completely with everything you mentioned concerning the actors, stunts, implausible situations, heck I saw every one of them as they happened and my eyes did roll but this is Strike Back we're talking about here not Shakespere. It's not like we haven't seen this type of thing every single season...the bullets flying and neither one of them get hit even in a open air jeep, multiple car roll-overs with little or no injury, the list goes on. This show is The A Team and Burn Notice all rolled into something even more outlandish....
but we love it. I think you should just cancel Cinemax, we'll keep watching;)
post #285 of 370 Old 10-22-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Despite my, admittedly, nearly pathological negative reaction to this season's finale, I ail watch the Brit series that spawned this mess but only because there must have been something good enough there to give rise to the long running US series. OK, now I'm ducking for cover!
The best way to compare the original 6 episodes of Strike Back (pre Scott and Stonebridge episodes) to the modern series is to think back to the original "First Blood" (which had believable action sequences) in the Rambo franchise then think of the over the top non-sense action of the later Rambo movies.

I've often wished the producers and writers of the current Strike Back would go back to the original episodes and try to re-create the feel of the early series and can the over the top silliness (like not just shooting out an engine on the plane to disable it) we currently see.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #286 of 370 Old 10-22-2013, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Agree with gwsat....that the last couple of episodes just dont make sense....& was pretty weak writing. But as mentioned above...its Strikeback....& the show does what its do quite well....ie...entertain me. Hoping that next season...the story & writing is tighter. took Cinemax for this show & Banshee
post #287 of 370 Old 10-22-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:

gwsat,

wow, I haven't seen you this disgusted in a long time. Maybe never. Funny how you mentioned you're ducking for cover tongue.gif

That's harsh that you want to see it cancelled frown.gif

Very cool to see you be so honest though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post

gswat, I agree completely with everything you mentioned concerning the actors, stunts, implausible situations, heck I saw every one of them as they happened and my eyes did roll but this is Strike Back we're talking about here not Shakespere. It's not like we haven't seen this type of thing every single season...the bullets flying and neither one of them get hit even in a open air jeep, multiple car roll-overs with little or no injury, the list goes on. This show is The A Team and Burn Notice all rolled into something even more outlandish....
but we love it. I think you should just cancel Cinemax, we'll keep watching;)

I know that these original Cinemax shows are based on over the top situations and violence and I have mostly loved them. As many of you know, I tend to enjoy stuff that is loud and dumb but the season finale of Strike Back was a bridge too far for me. I think my harsh reaction arose mostly from my having loved the show for a long time and then being bitterly disappointed by the lazy obviousness of the season finale, I just hope that Banshee doesn't end up doing the same thing to me. I loved Season 1 and have high hopes for the upcoming season. Maybe I was just having a bad day last night, at least I hope so. smile.gif
post #288 of 370 Old 10-22-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27

To me, the show has been a better written, acted and budgeted version of Burn Notice.  Many of the same miracles to save the day and implausible plot points like the airplane chase on the "US Air Force Base" - almost as unsecured as CTU at "24"!  But, the overall story and actors are at movie scale and cinematic quality and I much prefer this (cartoon style and all) to the way Burn Notice went.  It's almost like the James Bond movies - you know going in that some of this is just impossible hero stuff, but done well enough to check your right side brain at the door.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #289 of 370 Old 10-22-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ever watched a James Bond film .. ?? I could name literally dozens of eye rolling moments, but one of my favorites was "Die Another Day" when Pierce Brosnan (Bond) escaped a giant space laser by para surfing on a tsunami filled with icebergs .. the massive wave mysteriously disappears and we're left wondering what town it crashed into and destroyed ..

I'm more than willing to forgive "Strike Back" a few mis-steps ... after all, they blow something up about every episode, it's one of the few real action series out their these days, Stonebridge and Scott are a great buddy team, there are bits of gratuitous sex, the villains are, well, villians, the camera work is very good .. all in all, it's like a very long movie .. I stack it on the DVR and then do a marathon watch when it ends .. "Die Hard" meets "G.I. Joe" meets "Lethal Weapon"

Bring it on .. wink.gif

Uncle Willie

post #290 of 370 Old 10-23-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27

I think we agree but you seem to think I meant something else.  I like Strike Back the same way I like Bond and willingly check my brain at the door over the entertaining miracles.  Burn Notice did not inspire that kind of enjoyment in its last seasons.  Strike Back is exciting and "stuffs gonna 'splode".

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #291 of 370 Old 10-23-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

I think we agree but you seem to think I meant something else.  I like Strike Back the same way I like Bond and willingly check my brain at the door over the entertaining miracles.  Burn Notice did not inspire that kind of enjoyment in its last seasons.  Strike Back is exciting and "stuffs gonna 'splode".

If you're responding to my post, it had nothing to do with yours .. mine was simply a random post that just happened to have a Bond reference ..

Uncle Willie

post #292 of 370 Old 10-25-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just setup a "season pass" for Strike Back: Origins that's premiering tonight. Looking forward to it.
post #293 of 370 Old 10-25-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just setup a "season pass" for Strike Back: Origins that's premiering tonight. Looking forward to it.

DVR is set for the season .. I' don't remember seeing Andrew Lincoln in anything but Walking Dead, so I'm kinda curious to see how it goes ..

Uncle Willie

post #294 of 370 Old 10-25-2013, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Strike Back: Origins

Was different. Seemed a bit of a slower pace and less sex and violence. I'm tuned into next week's episode.
ltownsend likes this.
post #295 of 370 Old 10-27-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 48
It was OK. Will stick w/ it for awhile. Is it just six episodes?

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #296 of 370 Old 10-27-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Yes just 6
post #297 of 370 Old 10-28-2013, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

'Strike Back' Renewed for Fourth and Final Season at Cinemax
7:16 AM PDT 10/28/2013 by Lesley Goldberg / hollywoodreporter.com

Cinemax is closing its doors on Strike Back, renewing the action drama for a fourth and final season.

The cable network announced Monday that the U.K. co-production will wrap its run with 10 new episodes set for 2014.

Left Bank's Andy Harries will return as executive producer, producer Michael Casey and head of production Marigo Kehoe; Sky's Cameron Roach will executive produce. Michael J. Bassett will also return as co-EP, writer, director, and James Dormer as co-EP and writer. Returning cast and crew will be announced at a later date.

The Cinemax version was inspired by the British version, Strike Back: Origins, which starred The Walking Dead's Andrew Lincoln and The Hobbit's Richard Armitage. Cinemax recently picked up the six-episode Origins for a stateside run that started Oct. 25.

Strike Back was the first collaboration between Cinemax/HBO and Sky. The series was the cable network's first foray into original primetime scripted programming. The network now has originals Banshee (which will return for its second season in 2014) and Steven Soderbergh's Clive Owen original drama The Knick, also set for 2014. On the development side, Cinemax is prepping drama pilot Quarry.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/strike-back-renewed-fourth-final-651148

I'm super excited to see it renewed! yay! biggrin.gif

Not happy with it being the final season though. Bummer!
I guess gwsat will be happy to see it's "cancelled" after next season. haha tongue.gif
post #298 of 370 Old 10-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

'Strike Back' Renewed for Fourth and Final Season at Cinemax
7:16 AM PDT 10/28/2013 by Lesley Goldberg / hollywoodreporter.com

Cinemax is closing its doors on Strike Back, renewing the action drama for a fourth and final season.

The definition of 'bittersweet'.

Steve
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
My DVDs
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

post #299 of 370 Old 10-28-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member