AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

I'm super excited to see it renewed! yay! biggrin.gif

Not happy with it being the final season though. Bummer!
I guess gwsat will be happy to see it's "cancelled" after next season. haha tongue.gif

Because the upcoming season will be the last, I guess I'll stick around if for no other reason than to see if the show can improve some on its way out. I really enjoyed the first episode of the Strike Back prequel and am looking forward to seeing the rest of the series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 370 Old 11-01-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I'm not as hyped for tonight's Origin episode :shrug:

Sure, it's military action against terrorists which is awesome but it's just not the same. I'm more interested in watching It's Always Sunny that's on the DVR from earlier in the week. Can't wait!

Now the decision if I should do the typical beer and pizza biggrin.gif
post #303 of 370 Old 11-01-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

I'm not as hyped for tonight's Origin episode :shrug:

Sure, it's military action against terrorists which is awesome but it's just not the same. I'm more interested in watching It's Always Sunny that's on the DVR from earlier in the week. Can't wait!

Now the decision if I should do the typical beer and pizza biggrin.gif
Hang in there.... It gets better as it goes on.
By the end of the (6 episode) series you'll be loving John Porter!

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #304 of 370 Old 11-01-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

I loved Porter from the get go. He proved what a compelling fellow he is in Episode 1. Collinson seems a bit bland so far but has time for improvement. I know Andrew Lincoln must have done something with the role if the writers gave him half a chance.
post #305 of 370 Old 11-01-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Very good episode tonight. Looking forward to the
Next 4 episodes.
post #306 of 370 Old 11-01-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great episode indeed.
Quote:

I'm sure
post #307 of 370 Old 11-05-2013, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Enjoyed the 2nd show much more than the first. I guess I was comparing it to the other one instead of being objective and watching it for it's own merits. I ALMOST feel sorry for Porters "former friend"biggrin.gif Things aren't looking just real positive for him.

JERRY
post #308 of 370 Old 11-05-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 111
The show seems to stick to the 2 show arc that British tv seems to use as a blueprint (see also Luther). So odd shows have a cliff-hanger and even shows are resolution of the short arc.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #309 of 370 Old 11-06-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

The show seems to stick to the 2 show arc that British tv seems to use as a blueprint (see also Luther). So odd shows have a cliff-hanger and even shows are resolution of the short arc.
Yes, the original six episodes w/Porter stick to that format....

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #310 of 370 Old 11-08-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

wow! That was spectacular eek.gif

Enjoying this series now. Ha

Can't wait till next week!
post #311 of 370 Old 11-08-2013, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Yeah, it was pretty good. I wonder why the ratings in the UK were so bad that they cancelled it? It looks pretty well done to me. When Porter gets his hands on Collinson... well, I am waiting for that showdown.
Young C likes this.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #312 of 370 Old 11-09-2013, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Yeah, it was pretty good. I wonder why the ratings in the UK were so bad that they cancelled it? It looks pretty well done to me. When Porter gets his hands on Collinson... well, I am waiting for that showdown.

tongue.gif
post #313 of 370 Old 11-09-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which episode did they air last night?
Here's the episode guide...
http://www.tvrage.com/Strike_Back/episode_guide/all

post #314 of 370 Old 11-09-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Which episode did they air last night?

3 :01x03 - Zimbabwe - Part 1

This is the third episode of Strike Back Origins. Three more to go, and then ten next year, and that's all.
Young C likes this.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #315 of 370 Old 11-09-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

3 :01x03 - Zimbabwe - Part 1
Great, did you all recognize David Harewood (as David Estes) From Homeland?

post #316 of 370 Old 11-09-2013, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I did.

I think he has muscle definition in his arms. LOL tongue.gif
post #317 of 370 Old 11-10-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I did recognize Harewood from Homeland. Nobody does a better job of portraying sleazy bureaucrats than Harewood.
post #318 of 370 Old 11-11-2013, 07:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I'm a Brit and saw SB in 2010 and followed the Sky ratings. It was, in fact, a great success, with Sky getting at least three times its regular viewing numbers for that slot. Sky didn't cancel it: they wanted to make more but Richard Armitage wriggled out of his contract to play Thorin Oakenshield in The Hobbit. No contest really, although he was sorry to let the character of John Porter go.

It's a different beast from the Cinemax version which I have watched and liked. But it needs to be enjoyed in its own right. I would say that it is more of an absorbing drama with violence but no sex (so don't hold your breath, LOL). JP is a great character and Richard Armitage and the supporting cast put in some outstanding performances. I really enjoyed the final showdown between Porter and Collinson although the scriptwriters have changed the rather crass ending in the book to make it more intelligent and thoughtful.

The third story is the best, IMO, providing you can understand the Scottish accent of Ewan Bremner, the guy who needs extracting. I know that some Americans were also offended by this story and I hope that you can rise above this.
replayrob likes this.
post #319 of 370 Old 11-12-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricrac View Post

I'm a Brit and saw SB in 2010 and followed the Sky ratings. It was, in fact, a great success, with Sky getting at least three times its regular viewing numbers for that slot. Sky didn't cancel it: they wanted to make more but Richard Armitage wriggled out of his contract to play Thorin Oakenshield in The Hobbit. No contest really, although he was sorry to let the character of John Porter go.
Thanks, that makes more sense than what we've been lead to believe that it had poor ratings in GB and was not renewed.

Quote:

It's a different beast from the Cinemax version which I have watched and liked. But it needs to be enjoyed in its own right. I would say that it is more of an absorbing drama with violence but no sex (so don't hold your breath, LOL). JP is a great character and Richard Armitage and the supporting cast put in some outstanding performances.
Agree 100%, I started watching Strike Back with the Brit series- so to me the first six episodes set the pace and I actually prefer them compared the the over-the-top action in the US version. To be fair... there is some (implied) sex... Porter gets a mercy shag from the ultra cute Shelly Conn in ep 1 to raise his self esteem, but nothing like the level seen in the US series where Scott nails anything with a heartbeat.

Quote:

The third story is the best, IMO, providing you can understand the Scottish accent of Ewan Bremner, the guy who needs extracting. I know that some Americans were also offended by this story and I hope that you can rise above this.
I agree here too- excellent two episode story- but I had to constantly skip back to understand Ewan Bremner's heavy accent. I also put the CC on a few times- it was just easier than constantly rewinding every time he spoke.
The shame is- my father is a Scott-right off the boat... er plane- and I still was confounded by Bremner's brogue... tongue.gif

post #320 of 370 Old 11-12-2013, 03:53 PM

I think that which version you prefer all depends on the one you watch first - probably.  I watched the John Porter one first and, although the Cinemax one is a bit of a laugh, I still think that SB: Origins is a superior product.  But, I suppose it's also what type of show appeals to you more.  Since most Americans will be watching Origins second, I'm guessing that they will also regard it as second best.  The critics seem to be enjoying it very much and are writing some insightful comments but I doubt if many SB followers will agree with them.  I am curious to hear the assessment of this forum once it has finished.

post #321 of 370 Old 11-12-2013, 05:55 PM

Liked: 12
I watched the original John Porter episodes first and even though I enjoyed the Cinemax Strike Back very much I prefer the original series.
post #322 of 370 Old 11-12-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

I think that which version you prefer all depends on the one you watch first - probably.  I watched the John Porter one first and, although the Cinemax one is a bit of a laugh, I still think that SB: Origins is a superior product.  But, I suppose it's also what type of show appeals to you more.  Since most Americans will be watching Origins second, I'm guessing that they will also regard it as second best.  The critics seem to be enjoying it very much and are writing some insightful comments but I doubt if many SB followers will agree with them.  I am curious to hear the assessment of this forum once it has finished.

To me, they're just different.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #323 of 370 Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

It's a different beast from the Cinemax version which I have watched and liked. But it needs to be enjoyed in its own right. I would say that it is more of an absorbing drama with violence but no sex (so don't hold your breath, LOL). JP is a great character and Richard Armitage and the supporting cast put in some outstanding performances. I really enjoyed the final showdown between Porter and Collinson although the scriptwriters have changed the rather crass ending in the book to make it more intelligent and thoughtful.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was led to believe it was cancelled because of ratings, hence my comment, I wonder why the ratings were bad. It made no sense t me as this was a really good show. I'm glad to have the correct story, and now I wonder how/why the misinformation was being told.

Yes, I fully agree; the two are really, different shows. I also prefer the Origins show and I'm really glad that Cinemax has decided (or managed) to show it.

Luke

post #324 of 370 Old 11-13-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

A bit OT...

ricrac...
We were also told another very good (IMO) Brit series "Hunted" (with Melissa George) was also not renewed because of "low ratings" in GB.
Is this another fabrication?

post #325 of 370 Old 11-13-2013, 10:22 AM

Sorry, I can't help you there because I didn't watch it.  But I do have a vague feeling that the ratings were, indeed, poor.  I've checked it out on IMDb and it was produced by Kudos who had a hand in Origins, I believe.  And if I had known that Dhaffer L'Abidine was in it, I might have made the effort.  He was that excellent actor who played Al Nazeri and got his neck broken by JP in the first two episodes.  He and RA discussed that fight in an interview at the time and the two of them said they really went for it.  Certainly, I felt it was very realistic - more so than some fights you see.  They were trained by ex SAS men and army friends say that they all know how to handle their weapons, especially RA.  Armitage said, I believe, in a clip that you were shown before or after the last episode that, 3 years later, he can still strip down an AK-47 because they were trained so thoroughly.

post #326 of 370 Old 11-13-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, I can't help you there because I didn't watch it.  
Thanks anyway.
I just like Melissa George, and was sad to see it not picked up for renewal..

post #327 of 370 Old 11-13-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A bit OT...

ricrac...
We were also told another very good (IMO) Brit series "Hunted" (with Melissa George) was also not renewed because of "low ratings" in GB.
Is this another fabrication?

I remember watching at least part of it and I didn't think it was that good. It was a while back though, so I can't tell you why exactly.

Luke

post #328 of 370 Old 11-17-2013, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Spectacular Origins episode this week! So much better than Homeland. I want more already.

A+
post #329 of 370 Old 11-18-2013, 02:53 PM

Glad you're really enjoying it now after a 'meh' start.  What I'm really interested in is American reaction to the last two episodes.  Lots of excitement and gore, but......!  You'll know what I mean when you see the path that the story goes down.  A couple of my American friends got quite upset.

Don't forget to use closed captioning in these episodes.  The Scot in this is very entertaining but his Glaswegian accent is absolutely impenetrable, even to the rest of us Brits.

post #330 of 370 Old 11-19-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Glad you're really enjoying it now after a 'meh' start.  What I'm really interested in is American reaction to the last two episodes.  Lots of excitement and gore, but......!  You'll know what I mean when you see the path that the story goes down.  A couple of my American friends got quite upset.

Don't forget to use closed captioning in these episodes.  The Scot in this is very entertaining but his Glaswegian accent is absolutely impenetrable, even to the rest of us Brits.

I use closed captioning with every British show I watch. I got my Series 4 Downton Abbey BDs from Amazon.uk yesterday, I used them for every episode, which I watched in binge watching sessions yesterday and today. I tired to do without them when I watched the extra features but soon realized that my trying to understand Brits in documentary programming was just as hopeless as I had alway know it was in dramatic shows. smile.gif

I suspect I will like the last episodes of Series 1 of Strike Back. I have really enjoyed episodes 1-4 of Series 1 and suspect that I will like episodes 5 and 6 at least as well.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page