Strike Back on Cinemax - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 370 Old 12-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Ok, I am officially bummed. All six episodes of Origins left when I had to replace my cable co. DVR . We finally went down last night to catch up on Cinemax on demand and found out only the American version is available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 370 Old 12-08-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post

Ok, I am officially bummed. All six episodes of Origins left when I had to replace my cable co. DVR . We finally went down last night to catch up on Cinemax on demand and found out only the American version is available.

Origins is available on Maxgo.com. Most cable systems can get it....

Bobby 

post #363 of 370 Old 12-10-2013, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

It was great discussing Origins with everyone and I'm pleased, of course, that it found so much favour.  Hope we can find something else in common to chat about in the future.

Mylan - and anyone else who is interested - I'm sorry you missed this, but some American friends decided to buy the blu-ray.  It should play, but read the crabby comments first on Amazon.com because it doesn't work on all machines.  A few people have bought it from Amazon.co.uk because it's only about $16 on that site and other friends have invested in a multi-region player ($50) and bought the straight DVD at $12.  They reckon they have got their money back quite quickly because of buying DVDs from the UK (although this works both ways.) Anyway, hope you get to see it in the end, mylan, and decide that it was worth the effort.

Now getting ready to see Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield in The Desolation of Smaug: another great piece of acting that reminds me of John Porter in some ways, LOL

post #364 of 370 Old 12-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
LOVE Richard Armitage!biggrin.gif

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #365 of 370 Old 12-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricrac View Post

Yes, I remember people saying that he had been presented in Origins as a person who could escape from any hole - so why hadn't he escaped here?  It also seemed a case that he had let his captors use him to televise a political message.  People just couldn't believe it and it seemed a mean and unheroic way for Porter to finish his days.  But, of course, those of us who didn't switch off in disgust at this point, discovered that he had hidden a secret message in his last transmission and so did, after all, die a hero.  But, it wasn't what the audience wanted and I know a lot of people who refused to tune in to the new series because of it.  

Also, by killing off JP, the makers of the series were closing the door on a chance for Porter (Armitage?) to return. which is a shame because it would have been good fun to have Porter, Scott and Stonebridge go on a mission together now that The Hobbit has finished filming.  Armitage has said that he was very attached to this character but that he really had to wriggle to get out of the contract.  Perhaps they killed off JP in order to 'punish' Armitage in some way.

It would be great to see the three of them united on this show. JP could be written back in with some kind of plot causing him to wriggle out of the execution ... I think it could be done if they want to do it. I know I want them to do it!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #366 of 370 Old 01-06-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 469
As noted in my recent posts to this thread, I loved Strike Back Origins. I liked it so much that I have rewatched all of Seasons 2-4, the ones starring Sullivan Stapleton and Philip Winchester. Because I had come to understand the show's silliness and over the top nature, I was better prepared for it the second time around. Armed with this foreknowledge, I came to celebrate the show's utter preposterousness, which let me better enjoy its breathtaking excitement and bloodthirstiness. Now, for the first time I am really looking forward to Season 5, even if at least half of Stonebridge and Scott's dialog consists of exclamations of "S*it!" and "F*ck!" smile.gif
post #367 of 370 Old 01-06-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

As noted in my recent posts to this thread, I loved Strike Back Origins. I liked it so much that I have rewatched all of Seasons 2-4, the ones starring Sullivan Stapleton and Philip Winchester. Because I had come to understand the show's silliness and over the top nature, I was better prepared for it the second time around. Armed with this foreknowledge, I came to celebrate the show's utter preposterousness, which let me better enjoy its breathtaking excitement and bloodthirstiness. Now, for the first time I am really looking forward to Season 5, even if at least half of Stonebridge and Scott's dialog consists of exclamations of "S*it!" and "F*ck!" smile.gif

In iambic pentameter no less.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #368 of 370 Old 01-07-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

In iambic pentameter no less.

Not hardly. Neither the boys nor the Strike Back writers will ever be compared to Ian McShane or David Milch. smile.gif
post #369 of 370 Old 03-08-2014, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I miss this show frown.gif

LOL
post #370 of 370 Old 06-13-2014, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Tonight's VICE made me think of Strike Back. **** made me a bit sad.. Poor people
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page