Jesse Stone: Innocents Lost - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-15-2011, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
For those of you who are fans of the late Robert B. Parker's detective stories (Spenser, Jesse Stone, Sunny Randall, etc.), the seventh Jesse Stone movie Jesse Stone: Innocents Lost will be broadcast in HD on Sunday May 22 on primetime CBS.

Unlike the first four films, the fifth through seventh movies are original scripts, not based on a Parker novel.

Tom Selleck reprises his role as Jesse Stone, the Chief of Police in the New England small town of Paradise, Mass. The stories are beautifully filmed in HD with a solid supporting cast that includes Viola Davis and Kathy Baker as deputies. The Jesse Stone novels are tight and stylish "police procedural" stories, fully adult in nature and well written. Jesse Stone is a complex character who struggles with an alcohol addiction, his feelings for his ex-wife, his demanding job, and a series of beautifull girlfriends. Tom Selleck is at least 20 years older than the Jesse Stone character in the novels, but I'll have to say he has been uniformly excellant in the first six films.

No, these are not action films. Most often, Jesse fires a single shot in a scene near the end of the film.

If you missed the prior broadcasts these were the earlier films:

Stone Cold (2005, available on DVD)
Jesse Stone: Night Passage (2006, available on DVD)
Jesse Stone: Death In Paradise (2006, available on DVD)
Jesse Stone: Sea Change (2007, available on DVD)
Jesse Stone: Thin Ice (2009, available on DVD)
Jesse Stone: No Remorse (2010, available on DVD)

Note: If you want to catch up, view Jesse Stone: Night Passage first, as the novels were filmed out of order, and Night Passage is the series beginning, relating how a drunken Los Angeles homicide cop got his job after a painfull divorce.

For reference, the Robert B. Parker novels are:

Night Passage (1997)
Trouble In Paradise (1998)
Death In Paradise (2001)
Stone Cold (2003)
Sea Change (2006)
High Profile (2007)
Stranger in Paradise (2008)
Night and Day (2009)
Split Image (2010)

Don't forget to set your DVRs for Sunday night's HD broadcast.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-15-2011, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 530
I share Gary's enthusiasm for the late Robert B. Parker's Jesse Stone. I have also long been a fan of Tom Selleck, so I have watched all of the made for TV movies featuring Selleck as Jesse Stone. Although Selleck is far too old for the Jesse Stone character created by Parker, 60s versus 30s, Selleck is a delight in the role. Needless to say, my DVR is setup to record Jesse Stone: Innocents Lost.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-15-2011, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 235
DVR set. Although this series has been a bit uneven, it's always very watchable thanks to an outstanding ensemble cast.
post #4 of 12 Old 05-16-2011, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I share Gary's enthusiasm for the late Robert B. Parker's Jesse Stone. I have also long been a fan of Tom Selleck, so I have watched all of the made for TV movies featuring Selleck as Jesse Stone. Although Selleck is far too old for the Jesse Stone character created by Parker, 60s versus 30s, Selleck is a delight in the role. Needless to say, my DVR is setup to record Jesse Stone: Innocents Lost.

I agree. Saddened to hear of Parker's death but recently his widow announced that the series would live on in print as his long-time friend would continue the series.

http://www.newser.com/article/d9ms5i...ne-novels.html

Well, Here's my Sig!!!
post #5 of 12 Old 05-21-2011, 07:05 PM
KOA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I love it when I stumble upon some thread and discover a show I knew nothing about. Just got done watching three of them, Night Passage, Death in Paradise, and Sea Change. I'm hooked. Got the DVR set for tomorrow. Great atmosphere and acting. Thanks guys.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-23-2011, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I needed one of those cups of coffee Jesse Stone had so I could have stayed awake through this slow movie.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #7 of 12 Old 05-23-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post
I needed one of those cups of coffee Jesse Stone had so I could have stayed awake through this slow movie.
This was the first Jesse Stone movie I've seen. Yeah, it was a bit slow which would have been fine if the plot was intriguing, but it wasn't for me.

I kept hoping the relationship between Stone and Reggie would gel.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-23-2011, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Innocents Lost was a bit slow compared to some of the other's, but not too bad .. after all, it is a series ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #9 of 12 Old 05-23-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 530
I thought Innocents Lost was by far the weakest of the Jesse Stone movies to date. There just wasn't much there there. By far the most hateful character in the film was the young, arrogant, and not very bright new police chief, who is the creature of Jesse's mortal enemy, the equally arrogant and not very smart Paradise city councilman. I was hoping against hope that Jesse would bring down at least the new police chief. Unfortunately, though, little was seen of the chief in the second half of the film and we were left to follow Jesse's pursuit of a not very interesting Russian pimp. Yawn. If the next Jesse Stone movie disappoints me as much as Innocents Lost did, I will be through with the franchise, the estimable Tom Selleck notwithstanding.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-23-2011, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

This was the first Jesse Stone movie I've seen. Yeah, it was a bit slow which would have been fine if the plot was intriguing, but it wasn't for me.

I kept hoping the relationship between Stone and Reggie would gel.

Yeah, the dog is the best actor on the show. Sorry Tom.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-23-2011, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Dangit, when I first heard of the film I tried to set the DVR but it was too far ahead of time. So guess who was reading lastnight instead of watching or recording? How can I get to see it?

TerryB
post #12 of 12 Old 05-23-2011, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryB View Post

Dangit, when I first heard of the film I tried to set the DVR but it was too far ahead of time. So guess who was reading lastnight instead of watching or recording? How can I get to see it?

TerryB

It'll be out on DVD soon, available for pre-order now.

I quite enjoyed this installment. For anyone familiar with the characters it was perfect. Most of the story is between the lines, and the dialog between these people is in "shorthand". No complaints here.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page