Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

You might not like it, but the 18-49 audience is all that matters.

Not really. It's simply one factor among many which goes into setting an ad rate. As an example live programming rates get a bump since they are less likely to be skipped over via a DVR.

Nor were were discussing how long the show will be aired. Rather the fact the audience is now larger (not some subset) than it was during Charlie's last years. Which it is clearly by several million. Don't like it too bad.

Might be of interest...

When it was pointed out that ABC, NBC and even Fox are creeping ever closer to CBS’ demographic base aged 50-plus, Moonves reiterated that he’s always seen the slavish reverence of Madison Avenue for the 18-49 demo as highly flawed. “Just basing the world on 18-49 is an untrue measure,” he emphasized. “I keep seeing it said in the press and from analysts that it’s the only demographic that matters to advertisers. We don’t sell our schedule solely on 18-49. We sell it all sorts of different ways…Baby Boomers have gotten older. But our attitude is that a big hit — even a big 18-49 hit — is watched by everybody. So the idea of a broadcaster programming just for a niche audience is silly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Not really. It's simply one factor among many which goes into setting an ad rate. As an example live programming rates get a bump since they are less likely to be skipped over via a DVR.

Nor were were discussing how long the show will be aired. Rather the fact the audience is now larger (not some subset) than it was during Charlie's last years. Which it is clearly by several million. Don't like it too bad.

Might be of interest...

When it was pointed out that ABC, NBC and even Fox are creeping ever closer to CBS' demographic base aged 50-plus, Moonves reiterated that he's always seen the slavish reverence of Madison Avenue for the 18-49 demo as highly flawed. Just basing the world on 18-49 is an untrue measure, he emphasized. I keep seeing it said in the press and from analysts that it's the only demographic that matters to advertisers. We don't sell our schedule solely on 18-49. We sell it all sorts of different waysBaby Boomers have gotten older. But our attitude is that a big hit even a big 18-49 hit is watched by everybody. So the idea of a broadcaster programming just for a niche audience is silly.

Talk about a biased source-Les Moonves has a vested interest in trying to sell that narrative, as over the last decade his network has had many shows with high total viewers and dramatically lower 18-49. Why doesn't Moonves name all the shows that he has retained despite cancellation level 18-49 ratings, though good "overall" ratings? After all of these years at CBS, he should have plenty of examples, right?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

After all of these years at CBS, he should have plenty of examples, right?

The head of their network stated what you suggested was silly. Move on.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

The head of their network stated what you suggested was silly. Move on.

I don't care if he is the head of the network or the CBS janitor. The few dollars they make for selling Depends diaper ads during The Mentalist isn't going to change the fact that the 18-49 demo drives the vast majority of television ad revenue.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The few dollars they make for selling Depends diaper ads during The Mentalist isn't going to change the fact that the 18-49 demo drives the vast majority of television ad revenue.

Last fall Two and a Half Men had the highest ad rate of their night. Which placed them in the Top Ten and exceeded the previous year by roughly 25%. If you want to rant about rating myths... why not start a thread.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

Don't you like gross slapstick?

For me, the vomiting gag was good once, maybe twice. But it seems to me they just kept going back to that gag throughout the episode. It certainly WAS NOT funny the third time.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

My issue with the show (although I hated the gross theme) is Alan. They have turned him into more of a caricature than ever. So much so it sucks a lot of the humor right out of the show... it comes across as a bad SNL skit.

It may have been that Alan was always a caricature. The episode where he had the neurotic breakdown comes to mind, but that episode was hilarious. Probably one of the best outings for the show.

I think the other thing missing about Alan, however, is that he's no longer playing off of Charlie's constant derision. And they've reduced the interactions with Berta which were also usually very funny. And I guess the actress who was playing his mother has a hit play, so she never stops by now. And of course, Jake is grown now, so...

To me, the show was not just Alan, Charlie, and Jake. It was their interactions with Evelyn and Berta that set things off.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post

It may have been that Alan was always a caricature.

No doubt. Just of late it's so overboard (for me) it detracts from the storyline. Where's Kandi, Herb, or even his practice? It looks like he has been reduced to sitting in a chair waiting for Walden to walk by. Even then he's about as interactive as Siri.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Topic title edited.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 02-22-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Sorry, it hasn't been the same wo Charlie. The new modern/cold decor doesn't help. I miss Evelyn and Rose. If they are still getting high rating I say is because ABC and NBC got nothing better Monday night.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
They started making Alan super-pathetic long before Charlie left, so I don't see much change in him--but I do notice the other characters missing from the show--like Rose, Evelyn, Herb, and Judith.

Walden still feels like the new guy--the other characters are still adjusting to him, so it's going to take a while to develop a "new" familiar feeling. Everyone knew what to expect from Charlie, so the jokes about booze and women were plentiful...I don't think they've locked down Walden's character enough--other than his child-like nature--but if given enough time, I think this show could survive a few more seasons...and hopefully by next season, he won't just be "the new guy".

thread closed
Old 02-23-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I would really like to know why the 18-49 group is so important. I am 65 now and I have MUCH more money to spend on stuff than I ever had when I was younger. Think 4 HDTVs in my house with only 2 people plus several vacation a year etc etc.

Rick R
Old 02-23-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post

I would really like to know why the 18-49 group is so important.

Old articles but I'm guessing the info is still relevant...

But, says Bowen, it's long been the reality for those who make and sell commercials, based on the belief that the 18 to 49 year old population, some 120 million Americans, is where the money is. Advertisers also believe younger viewers are more impressionable, more susceptible to advertising, and more willing than their parents to try new things.

"Advertisers want to reach a young audience early, and then hopefully lock them into brands. And hopefully hook them for life," remarks Kelly Kahl, CBS senior executive vice president for programming and operations. He's part of the inner-circle that decides which shows live or die on the network; which shows are likely to draw that audience coveted by advertisers.

"I think a lot of it is just simply institutional," Kahl reflects. "Back when people-meters in the early 80's came out, advertisers were able to actually see not just how many people were watching, but who was watching. They were able to target shows that reached a younger audience. And they've been funneling their dollars that way ever since."

Bowen says the idea that the 18-to-49-year-olds represented the most valuable demographic was the creation of the then last-place ABC network back in the 1970s. Unable to win the overall audience, ABC sold what it had, younger viewers, and 'the demo,' as it's called, became the gold standard for advertisers and all network programmers.

Another trending away from such...

U.S. TV demographics, particularly the coveted 18-49 age bracket, are losing relevance as networks are succeeding without focusing on them, experts say.

Steve Sternberg of the media firm Magna said while demographic brackets such as the 18-49 range will likely always play a part in TV marketing, they are less important than U.S. TV networks think, the Los Angeles Times reported Sunday.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I know I believe everything the media tells me these days, especially the LA Times! The show is not the same as it was and will never be as popular as before with Charlie Sheen.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

The show is not the same as it was and will never be as popular as before with Charlie Sheen.

The last non-repeat was #4 for the week (18-49). You're right it's much more popular than Charlie was for many years. With the old folks included it was #8.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...iewing/130482/
Old 05-12-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

CBS has closed a deal with Ashton Kutcher and officially renewed Two and a Half Men for a tenth season.

CBS announced Saturday it will renew the show following the comedy's successful season nine, which nabbed impressive ratings and attracted millions of viewers even after one heck of a drama-filled shake-up with its former star.

In its ninth season, Two and a Half Men ranked second in prime-time comedies for viewers and adults 25-54 and third among adults 18-49. Ratings were also up from season eight by 13 percent.

http://www.eonline.com/news/cbs_pick..._season/315785
Old 04-26-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
UPDATE: Ashton Kutcher & Jon Cryer Set For Just-Ordered Season 11 Of ’2.5 Men’, Angus T. Jones Won’t Return As Regular
By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Friday April 26, 2013 @ 3:15pm PDT

UPDATE, 3:25 PM: CBS just confirmed on Twitter that the show has been renewed for the 2013-2014 season.

PREVIOUS, 3:15 PM: CBS’ veteran comedy Two And A Half Men is dropping the “Half” for the upcoming 11th season. I’ve learned that co-star Angus T. Jones won’t return to the veteran comedy, at least not as a regular. He may do guest-starring appearances. Meanwhile, I’ve learned that stars Ashton Kutcher and Jon Cryer have closed new one-year deals to return.

paving the way for an 11th season renewal of Two And A Half Men, which is now pending. I hear the duo are returning at salaries close to what they earned last season, about $700,000 per episode for Kutcher and just a bit less for Cryer. They remain as the highest-paid TV actors.

Jones’ departure is not surprising. He had indicated his desire to go to college and originally planned to leave after last season until he had a change of heart at the last minute and signed on to return. But with his character Jake in the Army, Jones has appeared only sporadically on the show this season. And then there was the young actor’s ill-advised comments in a religious video testimonial, in which he called Two And A Half Men “filth,” which went viral in November. Jones later apologized and subsequently returned to work.

Two And A Half Men, which was moved away from Mondays for the first time last fall, has helped rejuvenate CBS’ Thursday lineup, proving a very compatible companion to blockbuster The Big Bang Theory and providing a strong lead-in for Person Of Interest. Based on the show’s strong performance, CBS’ entrainment president Nina Tassler in January reached out to Two And A Half Men producer Warner Bros TV to start talks about Season 11. Since the network is shouldering the cost for a show in its 10th season on the air, dealmaking took awhile, with the initial focus on securing the two leading Men. But the process went smoothly, leading to another likely early renewal of the show, a far cry from the down-to-the-wire drama with previous Men star Charlie Sheen.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/ashton-kutcher-jon-cryer-returning-two-and-a-half-men/
Old 04-27-2013, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So who will be the 1/2 Man? Some good episodes this season, some not. The ones where Jaime Pressley played Jake's cougar girlfriend were really good. Still I was tired of Charlie's "drinking/gambling/womanizing" shtick.
Ashton is actually pretty good. Wish they get Alan and Melissa (Kelly Stables) back together.

Jeffer65
Old 08-06-2013, 07:51 PM

Liked: 10
Does any one know the name of the "actress" who played the tattooed Fraulein in the episode where Alan pretends to be Charlie. Brings girl from bar home. Knew he was not Charlie. They are about to sleep together when she appears out of the bathroom in a S&M Nazi Fraulein with a riding crop. Seen her in other TV sitcoms. Don't recall her name. Name this actress. smile.gif
Old 08-07-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD888 View Post

Does any one know the name of the "actress" who played the tattooed Fraulein in the episode where Alan pretends to be Charlie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1736236/fullcredits ?

Old 08-07-2013, 11:42 PM

Been there done that. smile.gif Doesn't say. Do you know the episode I'm talking about?? Some one must. smile.gif
Old 08-08-2013, 01:09 AM

She's right there second from the bottom of the episode cast. Erinn Hayes as Gretchen. Also the episode name is at the top. The Immortal Mr. Billy Joel.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:31 AM

Thanks John. I guess I didn't think Charles R actually posted the link to the actual episode. I assumed he just posted the main Two And A Half Men webpage. Didn't even bother looking at the smaller "The Immortal Mr. Billy Joel". smile.gif And thanks Charles R. I just took a quick look...saw Two & A Half Men" in large font...assumed "episode cast" only included the "main" cast members...sheen, cryer...etc.

Any how they should make a poster of Erinn Hayes in the Nazi S&M outfit. smile.gif She looked so hot. smile.gif

Have a good weekend guys.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:36 AM

Isn't that the one where CBS made them CGI smiley faces over the swastikas? Thought that was pretty silly.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:42 AM

That's the one!! I thought I saw some swastikas. Maybe it was only the "SS" (double lighting bolt).

I wouldn't be surprised. This is a prime time show not something from HBO. Or similar channels we have to subscribe to. Shown only after midnight.

In Toronto it's played twice from 7PM to 8 PM. When the whole family might be home (assuming you have a family).

What I'm surprised at is how they manage to get away with some language. Innuendoes possibly not suitable for young or highly impressionable teens. All it needs is cursing and nudity. Then it would have to be an HBO only show. smile.gif Like Californication.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 119
New season starting soon, I've seen some bits with Amber Tamblyn, she's the one as Charlie's daughter...

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Old 09-27-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I've seen some bits with Amber Tamblyn, she's the one as Charlie's daughter...

I thought she out acted (outclassed?) the rest of the cast. I'm still getting her role in Joan of Arcadia out of my head however she appeared to sink right into the part. Hopefully, she will join the cast full time.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I didn't really like her, but hopefully she will get better. The best part was where she stopped Ashton from going upstairs. Of course that is also the annoying part. I would have drop kicked her a$$ out if she had said that to me. I hope Holland is back this year. I would also like to see more of Ryan and Marin.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Old 09-27-2013, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 86
This is quite a departure for Amber and show she has some acting chops.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The only thing I liked about this show a longggg time ago was the humor and maybe the crazy stocker brunette girl (can't remember her name). I tuned in this time only for Amber. Didn't disappoint and it looks like she'll be a regular. I dunno if I watch again.

Being in Japan is like being in the future - lolol

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"