'Suits' on USA HD - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #271 of 286 Old 03-08-2016, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper57 View Post
i'm wondering what type of work will mike be doing when he gets out of prison ? he can't go back into law after he plead guilty to fraud.
A couple of seasons back, if you remember, he quit the law firm and went to work as an Investor. IF he could get some backing (and Harvey might help with that) he could do that kind of work again. He's still as capable as he ever was, he just wouldn't be able to practice law. He could also work as a Consultant for people... while not being an actual lawyer, he could help people to figure out a strategy and then represent themselves or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Could Mike even get a law license even if it got a law degree and passed the bar exam?
If they go realistic, my guess would be no. I don't know what kinds of things a lawyer might be able to do, be banned, and then get reinstated... but it seems like if you were guilty of fraud at pretending to be a lawyer and taking bar exams for other people like Mike admitted to doing... that he'd be hard pressed to find a bar association in any state that would allow him to practice again.

The Doctor... the Original, you might say!
Where I am when I'm not here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 286 Old 03-08-2016, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Well, no one said he can't be a consultant. Mike never really spent that much time in the courtroom, his strength was digging through documents and legal briefs to find clues and outs. I can see him doing this in whatever form PSL ends up in.
post #273 of 286 Old 03-09-2016, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Maybe they'll find some dirty laundry on the prosecutor (wow, she was underhanded!) and the conviction/plea bargain will get tossed. Then it's back to normal. Well, as normal as can be after everyone jumped ship. Don't let Soloff come back and please throw that whiney Louis out the window.
post #274 of 286 Old 03-09-2016, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael252 View Post
Maybe they'll find some dirty laundry on the prosecutor (wow, she was underhanded!) and the conviction/plea bargain will get tossed. Then it's back to normal. Well, as normal as can be after everyone jumped ship. Don't let Soloff come back and please throw that whiney Louis out the window.
My wife and I keep going between Louis is such a piece of garbage to hey, he's not such a bad guy after all.
post #275 of 286 Old 03-09-2016, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Could Mike even get a law license even if it got a law degree and passed the bar exam?
I'm not a lawyer but it's my understanding that, in addition to passing the bar exam, you have to pass a "Moral Character and Fitness" examination before admittance into the state bar. I believe Rachel's father mentioned something about this when urging her not to marry Mike, because the Moral Character board would judge her poorly for marrying a felon who defrauded them.

So no, if this were reality, there'd be basically no chance Mike could become an actual lawyer after this. He might be able to become a paralegal, however.

With that said, this show isn't reality, and I'm sure Harvey will find some ridiculous way to void the conviction and get Mike reinstated.
Garrett Adams likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #276 of 286 Old 04-25-2016, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 53
My wife and I truly enjoyed Suits over the first three seasons. With seasons 4 and 5, not so much.

What drew us to the program in the first place were the story lines revealing the complexities of law with good writing and as portrayed by an excellent ensemble cast .

What we liked were the good guys Mike, Harvey, the Donna, Grandma Edith, and the always evil Trevor and Daniel Hardman. Guest characters like Sheila Sazs, Travis Tanner, Katrina Bennett, Charles Forstman, added spice and compelling side stories.

What started to push us over the edge was some of the writing in the recent episodes. I don't have to be a lawyer to know that whether your law firm is on the 50th floor of a Manhattan skyscraper or in a strip mall in Scranton, Pennsylvania, no lawyers would indulge in profane laced shouting matches and personal attacks on each other in the hallways and offices of the law firm in full view of clients, office staff, and other attorneys.

Worse yet, is the revolving door behavior of all the characters, particularly Jessica, Louis Litt, Jeff Malone, Jack Soloff and Robert Zane, just to name a few. Friends one minute and mortal enemies the next. Lately we see Mike/Rachel, Jessica/Louis, Harvey/Donna, Louis/Shelia, Trevor/Mike flip flopping like out of control schizophrenics. Jessica's interaction with Jack Soloff resembles Charlie Brown and Lucy with the football.

Is it reasonable to assume that the law professors at both Harvard and Columbia are degenerate dirtbags? Is it reasonable for named partners to turn on each other at the drop of a hat? Is it reasonable to believe the adversarial characters like Cameron Dennis and Anita Gibbs appear like Ninjas in the night in the lawyer's homes, offices, park benches, and conference rooms bypassing security guards and receptionists as if they were teleported by a Star Trek transporter?

We will be back for the 6th season but if the writing continues as it has recently, we will probably opt out and move on to other content. Not to pile on, but if you want to see credible portrayal by lawyers, tune in the riveting episodes of AMC's Better Call Saul. Jimmy and Chuck McGill with Kim Wexler and Howard Hamlin are among the best you will see on TV.
TeeJay1952 likes this.
post #277 of 286 Old 04-25-2016, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Keep in mind you're nitpicking on the behavior of fictional lawyers on a show where they have a kid play-acting at being a lawyer illegally all this time... so, IF the people running the firm are willing to do that, the rest of the behavior isn't really a stretch, is it?

post #278 of 286 Old 04-27-2016, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Yeah, good point. Also, expecting Harvard and Columbia professors to be dirtbags is not that great of a leap.. After all, they teach the incredibly rich and self-entitled children of dirtbag "businessmen".
post #279 of 286 Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Anyone watch the premiere last night? I wasn't very impressed. I couldn't believe they actually sent him to prison in the finale.
post #280 of 286 Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post
Anyone watch the premiere last night? I wasn't very impressed. I couldn't believe they actually sent him to prison in the finale.
I watched. I would have waited for the verdict. For such a smart guy they made kind of dumb

Comcast Xfinity with 150MB/s download speed
LG OLED65E6P 65" OLED 3D DISPLAY
Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K UHD Bluray Player
Playstation 4/Blu-Ray 3D/Playstation 3/Playstation 2/Playstation
Xbox One/Xbox 360 with HD-DVD/Xbox
Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc
post #281 of 286 Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 178
That was a good setup of Mike, did not see that coming. It will be interesting to see how things develop. Read an article from the producers said they are planning a 7th season, said it's almost guaranteed.
post #282 of 286 Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I was just glad to see the season start again. And then there's Donna . . .
RayGuy likes this.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #283 of 286 Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post
I thought the episode was pretty slow and drawn out. Too much sitting around and moaning. The only interesting part was Mike's cellmate putting the screws to him.
post #284 of 286 Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I actually liked it... and it looks like they are going to actually keep Mike in jail for a while. Seems like an uphill battle to save the firm, though.

post #285 of 286 Old Today, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
I actually liked it... and it looks like they are going to actually keep Mike in jail for a while. Seems like an uphill battle to save the firm, though.
Yeah, it does look that way. I'm not sure how they can realistically get back to the essence of the show—Harvey and Mike practicing law together. Hopefully, things pickup; the show was kind of slow for a season premiere. I guess the jail aspect could be interesting. I used to watch House, and he did a brief stint in the slammer, but it wasn't a whole season.
post #286 of 286 Old Today, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was just glad to see the season start again. And then there's Donna . . .
There is that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page