'Suits' on USA HD - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
post #301 of 326 Old 08-05-2016, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The only fault I find in looking at Donna on the screen is that she seems stiff when walking as if she has a back problem in real life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 326 Old 08-05-2016, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Couldn't agree more! Donna is an elegant beauty but has reached a "certain age." Perhaps some of the younger cohort don't appreciate her as much as those of us who are also of "a certain age" do.
Naw, they are just intimidated by a real woman.
gwsat and 73shark like this.
post #303 of 326 Old 08-05-2016, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 1718
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpileggi View Post
The only fault I find in looking at Donna on the screen is that she seems stiff when walking as if she has a back problem in real life.
My reaction to the way Donna walks is positive. She has the model's "runway strut" down cold. With it she demonstrates both confidence and sexiness.
73shark likes this.
post #304 of 326 Old 08-05-2016, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Donna definitely has her xxxx together.
post #305 of 326 Old 08-05-2016, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Just watched the last episode and the only thing I liked was Jessica putting the trader in his place. The rest didn't do anything for me.

My guess is Mike is going to get out of prison and then try and help his roomie get released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Naw, they are just intimidated by a real woman.
Actually, I am not obsessed with average looking women on TV.

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from AVScience
post #306 of 326 Old 09-14-2016, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 246
What? No more Jessica? I always liked her cool, aristocratic beauty. Hope it isn't so...

According to Hollywood reporter it is:

Actor Gina Torres had asked to leave the series in order to spend more time in L.A. (Which may explain to viewers why Torres booked an ABC pilot this past development season despite Suits' continued run on USA.) Behind the scenes, the producers had been strategizing that exit for two seasons — but it didn’t quite pan out the way they had originally hoped.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...crapped-928128

Last edited by Matt L; 09-14-2016 at 09:16 PM.
post #307 of 326 Old 09-14-2016, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Donna and Harvey a thing next season??? Pretty good season finale.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #308 of 326 Old 09-15-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Donna and Harvey a thing next season??? Pretty good season finale.
I don't think so, at least I hope not. I'm thinking its just them acknowledging
that they are facing the future of their friendship and continuance of the firm together. Its going to be a whole new deal.
post #309 of 326 Old 09-17-2016, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Unhappy

http://www.ibtimes.com/suits-season-...series-2417577

Going to be a different series next year without our leader!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #310 of 326 Old 09-17-2016, 12:59 PM

Torres character never did much for me until this season. For me she pretty much was a fashion statement for the show and not much else.
post #311 of 326 Old 09-18-2016, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Gina Torres was good because even when she wasn't there, she was there. The actress has enough of a presence that they could just mention "Jessica" or show "Pearson" on the wall and she was there. That's a hard thing to replace.

IF I had not known the show was coming back for sure and IF they hadn't shown the "coming this winter" reel afterwards... that episode played a LOT like a series ender. Felt like they were closing a lot of loose ends and setting a bunch of people up for happy endings basically.
Dmon4u likes this.

The Doctor... the Original, you might say!
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #312 of 326 Old 09-18-2016, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not only this winter, but next year too. It's been renewed for a 7th season.....
post #313 of 326 Old 09-18-2016, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

IF I had not known the show was coming back for sure and IF they hadn't shown the "coming this winter" reel afterwards... that episode played a LOT like a series ender. Felt like they were closing a lot of loose ends and setting a bunch of people up for happy endings basically.
I agree. I think this would have been a good place to go out.
TeeJay1952 likes this.

post #314 of 326 Old 09-20-2016, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I enjoyed the season, but it got to serial. I've been watching since the beginning, but wouldn't be upset if I missed it next season. It would be nice if a law firm had some legal cases to deal with. Maybe Gina is actually leaving to revive Firefly!
post #315 of 326 Old 09-20-2016, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftcoastdave View Post
My wife and I truly enjoyed Suits over the first three seasons. With seasons 4 and 5, not so much.

What drew us to the program in the first place were the story lines revealing the complexities of law with good writing and as portrayed by an excellent ensemble cast .

What we liked were the good guys Mike, Harvey, the Donna, Grandma Edith, and the always evil Trevor and Daniel Hardman. Guest characters like Sheila Sazs, Travis Tanner, Katrina Bennett, Charles Forstman, added spice and compelling side stories.

What started to push us over the edge was some of the writing in the recent episodes. I don't have to be a lawyer to know that whether your law firm is on the 50th floor of a Manhattan skyscraper or in a strip mall in Scranton, Pennsylvania, no lawyers would indulge in profane laced shouting matches and personal attacks on each other in the hallways and offices of the law firm in full view of clients, office staff, and other attorneys.

Worse yet, is the revolving door behavior of all the characters, particularly Jessica, Louis Litt, Jeff Malone, Jack Soloff and Robert Zane, just to name a few. Friends one minute and mortal enemies the next. Lately we see Mike/Rachel, Jessica/Louis, Harvey/Donna, Louis/Shelia, Trevor/Mike flip flopping like out of control schizophrenics. Jessica's interaction with Jack Soloff resembles Charlie Brown and Lucy with the football.

Is it reasonable to assume that the law professors at both Harvard and Columbia are degenerate dirtbags? Is it reasonable for named partners to turn on each other at the drop of a hat? Is it reasonable to believe the adversarial characters like Cameron Dennis and Anita Gibbs appear like Ninjas in the night in the lawyer's homes, offices, park benches, and conference rooms bypassing security guards and receptionists as if they were teleported by a Star Trek transporter?

We will be back for the 6th season but if the writing continues as it has recently, we will probably opt out and move on to other content. Not to pile on, but if you want to see credible portrayal by lawyers, tune in the riveting episodes of AMC's Better Call Saul. Jimmy and Chuck McGill with Kim Wexler and Howard Hamlin are among the best you will see on TV.

It's funny, I still like the show, but I agree with a lot of what you said. I think of it as a kind of smart and sophisticated soap opera.

So much of the conflict seems obviously manufactured and unnecessary, with the characters constantly flip-flopping in their allegiances and animosities. One moment they are swearing to never betray or to distrust each other again, and the next moment they are lying to or manipulating each other again, when they really don't have to. And the viewer is watching thinking: this really isn't going to turn out well. And it doesn't, and then miraculously does, after all.

I actually enjoy most of the characters, but it does seem to me that the writers are making up a lot of it as they go along, as opposed to having a definite story arc in mind when they start the season, or even some episodes within a season. Oh well, I still like it anyway, no matter how often I say to the screen: "Just act like an adult. Or just level with the other person. Don't try to be so clever and devious." But, then, cleverness and deviousness are part of the charm, I guess, and more adult behavior would probably be boring.
post #316 of 326 Old 09-20-2016, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 781
I gave up two episodes before the season finale. Then last week thought it over and watched the finale. Not bad and an opportunity to reinvent itself, somewhat. I'll check it out again next season. Hope there will be less of the overwrought shouting matches.
post #317 of 326 Old 09-21-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Maybe I missed it but is there a reason that Mike doesn't go to law school and get legal?

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #318 of 326 Old 09-21-2016, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've often wondered that too. Also, do you really have to go to law school to pass the bar? apparently not in CA, VT. WA. Wy.. So if the show was set in CA Mike cuold technically pass the bar after some time working under an accredited lawyer.
post #319 of 326 Old 09-21-2016, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I was kind of hoping that Mike and Rachel would ride off into the sunset like Tom Cruise in The Firm.

post #320 of 326 Old 09-21-2016, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Maybe I missed it but is there a reason that Mike doesn't go to law school and get legal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
I've often wondered that too. Also, do you really have to go to law school to pass the bar? apparently not in CA, VT. WA. Wy.. So if the show was set in CA Mike cuold technically pass the bar after some time working under an accredited lawyer.
You're both missing the obvious... He has a conviction for practicing law without a license AND was exposed as having taken the BAR exam for other people.

So... even if he could somehow get a degree in law from a University somewhere... there's no way the BAR would allow him to take the exam and practice law again.

Same would be true for a person who got caught practicing medicine without a license... no way they could ever become legal. It's one of those things that IF you get caught at it, you're pretty much screwed long-term.

Had he fought and won... or had he never been tried at all... then he always, up until then, had the option of going to college in the background like Rachael is doing, and passing the BAR on the sly... although doing so would potentially have called attention to himself since he shouldn't have needed to do all that if he already was a lawyer.

Basically... the scam was only effective as long as he wasn't caught. Once he gets caught, the cat's out of the bag and he's basically blacklisted.

He could, however, as Harvey offered work as a consultant OR probably even as a Paralegal... and be just as useful to them for what his skillset allowed.

post #321 of 326 Unread 09-22-2016, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 542
But, if he took the bar, and passed, even if under a different name, then it can be argued that he is, in fact, a lawyer.
post #322 of 326 Unread 09-23-2016, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
But, if he took the bar, and passed, even if under a different name, then it can be argued that he is, in fact, a lawyer.
If he took the Bar under a different name (and he did) that would be fraud... which is what he was convicted of doing... thus, can't be a lawyer.

post #323 of 326 Unread 09-24-2016, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 1718
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
If he took the Bar under a different name (and he did) that would be fraud... which is what he was convicted of doing... thus, can't be a lawyer.
Correct. Also, he is not a law school graduate, which would disqualify him from even sitting for the bar exam in any state I am familiar with.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu Bookshelf speakers 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker 4 Focal in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo BDP-103 BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
post #324 of 326 Unread 09-24-2016, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think the "what if's" are more referring to Mike prior to going to prison.
post #325 of 326 Unread Today, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
I think the "what if's" are more referring to Mike prior to going to prison.
I've said before, regarding that... the problem created was Mike practicing law without a law degree or having passed the BAR under his own name. So... IF he had "on the sly" taken classes to get a law degree for real and then pass the BAR... the problem would be ALL the cases he worked for the firm prior to that... thus he would still end up disbarred!

The whole house-of-cards was completely dependent on not ever being caught. That's why they faked his history at Harvard... the problem was, they underestimated how far someone might go to "get them" which is ironic given how Harvey creates SO many enemies by going after them hard... so it was only a matter of time before someone dug enough and discovered that while Mike "seemed" to have history at Harvard, there was NOBODY there who actually remembered him ever taking a class... which isn't likely to happen. Mike isn't a wallflower, he stands out... there's no way he'd have gone through school and not had a few people remember him, especially professors.

So... it was just a matter of time before he got caught. The ONLY way out of it was IF they had been smart from the beginning... In REAL life, real-life Harvey would recognize talent and want to help Mike turn his life around... would hire him as a consultant/paralegal and help him go through law school over those years INSTEAD of hiring him as a lawyer, promoting him to partner, and having him illegally practice law. Mike would have been every bit as helpful all those years with his brains/recall ability without compromising the firm or any cases by practicing law illegally, and perhaps by now could have graduated law school and passed the BAR to be legit.

post #326 of 326 Unread Today, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Of course, with his memory skills he does not need the law to make a buck. He could use his skills in many different ways. Perhaps, he can take part in the world poker tour in Las Vegas and win, collect the 8 million dollar first prize and call it a career.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming