post #181 of 270 Old 04-05-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Hmmm...now where have we seen this before?

Where haven't we seen it before? Lost, Alias, and 24 kept going by introducing yet another mysterious organization every few episodes.

I hope this show will avoid the conspiracy after conspiracy plot device (oops too late, both his wife and kid are dead! ) and will be more like Dexter: a guy with a strange mind who is trying to do what he wants to do in a world (or two worlds) where things are changing around him. Every episode should challenge his condition and his ability to maintain it, otherwise it's just the cop who got gnarly investigative powers from a car accident.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 270 Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Where haven't we seen it before? Lost, Alias, and 24 kept going by introducing yet another mysterious organization every few episodes.

I hope this show will avoid the conspiracy after conspiracy plot device (oops too late, both his wife and kid are dead! ) and will be more like Dexter: a guy with a strange mind who is trying to do what he wants to do in a world (or two worlds) where things are changing around him. Every episode should challenge his condition and his ability to maintain it, otherwise it's just the cop who got gnarly investigative powers from a car accident.

What I was getting at is more like the Complete Rendering of Mootness . Like the infamous Dream season in Dallas etc. Although I agree it would still be unfortunate if it's something like the continual "reboots" from 24 as well. To me LOST was different because the main elements and original focus was there, threaded all the way through, even if they proceeded through various phases dealing with different things in the seasons. I never watched Alias but I have read complaints about it changing up a lot though. I do have a fair amount of sympathy for show runners though, since it's pretty much a herculean task to do any kind of original serialized show (on network TV in particular), when you're working with the uncertainty of an open ended timeline, dealing with the whims of the suits, and increasingly impatient viewers etc.

ron
post #183 of 270 Old 04-06-2012, 02:53 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Good ep last night. Some interesting ideas regarding the schizophrenia (and the parallels of his conspiracy theory as well) of the mental patient relating to Britton. Based on the preview for the next ep there's some major stuff about to blow.

ron
post #184 of 270 Old 04-06-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I enjoyed it as well. I think it's smartly written. It seems more and more the "procedural" element is there to serve the broader psychological one which is the show's real intrigue for me. And, added to that, a personal element -- the guy who plays the evidence tech is an old friend. I haven't seen him in years and didn't even know he was still acting. Another reason I hope the show gets picked up. ;-)
post #185 of 270 Old 04-06-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

I enjoyed it as well. I think it's smartly written. It seems more and more the "procedural" element is there to serve the broader psychological one which is the show's real intrigue for me. And, added to that, a personal element -- the guy who plays the evidence tech is an old friend. I haven't seen him in years and didn't even know he was still acting. Another reason I hope the show gets picked up. ;-)

With its ratings, don't get yout hopes up. I really have been enjoying the show, but at this point, renewal is looking very unlikely.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #186 of 270 Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

With its ratings, don't get yout hopes up. I really have been enjoying the show, but at this point, renewal is looking very unlikely.

I'm not. I'm just hoping we get a decent resolution to the season.
post #187 of 270 Old 04-08-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Another vote for 'The Brotherhood" for acting.. Everyone who is into this show should check out that mini series.. I ll stick with this a few more episodes just for the main character

post #188 of 270 Old 04-09-2012, 12:38 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Anybody who saw Showtime's outstanding 2-season drama about crime and politics in the Irish neighborhoods of Boston: 'Brotherhood'. He was terrific in it, in a role far different from this one.

Brotherhood was terrific, but (a) it was set in Providence RI and (b) had a 3 season run.
post #189 of 270 Old 04-09-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post

Brotherhood was terrific, but (a) it was set in Providence RI and (b) had a 3 season run.

You're right on all counts. Been awhile since it finished its run and I had forgotten some details.
post #190 of 270 Old 04-16-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I just got caught up on the last two episodes. The one where he's imaging the penguin was very good. I wish the whole show was like that one. The most recent one was okay, more spinning its wheels than anything else.
post #191 of 270 Old 04-20-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

This episode was what I was afraid of. It was 99.9% generic cop show and 0.1% [checking math...it's good] what the show was supposed to be about. No shrinks, no conflicts between the two realities, nothing about Britten living in two separate realities. Just a cop working two cases with a single connection between them which once again he saw with his new gnarly powers.

post #192 of 270 Old 04-20-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hope the ratings go up and give it time to grow. Not going to hold my breath however.
post #193 of 270 Old 04-26-2012, 12:34 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

This episode was what I was afraid of. It was 99.9% generic cop show and 0.1% [checking math...it's good] what the show was supposed to be about. No shrinks, no conflicts between the two realities, nothing about Britten living in two separate realities. Just a cop working two cases with a single connection between them which once again he saw with his new gnarly powers.

I'm with you on all that. After watching that one I couldn't figure out what the point of the ep even was. Apparently Brittan is quite happy with his dual situations combining to provide him everything he used to have in one. It seems like the producers also want to be happy with the status quo as well. But the only problem is that viewers are asked to somehow put this giant overriding question/mystery on the back burner like it's just another minor factor to ignore while they explore whether or not he's fully committed to moving with his wife? That may be a good tropic for a straight drama if the viewer is in to that kind of thing. But in a situation where nobody even knows what the two situations even are, it instantly drops to the bottom of the list of intrigue I'm afraid. The starting premise of this show is/was interesting, and could be a good point to branch off from if done right. But to expect the audience to care about mundane everyday life type issues when there's a huge elephant in the room is asking a bit much IMO...

ron
post #194 of 270 Old 04-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

I can't believe that writers, unimaginative as they appear to be do not have enough of an imagination to realize they are writing two generic cop show for the price of one.

What are they, Chinese workers?

NBC Entertainment bean counters acting as a backstop in case anything goes wrong in their continued failure to pay retail and have a hit.
post #195 of 270 Old 04-26-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Some questions that are not addressed. Does he live the same day/date twice, once in each reality. (If so, hello Lotto!)
What happens if he stays up all night?

Argee
post #196 of 270 Old 04-27-2012, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I agree....this show needs to get more into the "back story" of the captain and whoever she's in league with. Thirty seconds of this every couple episodes isn't going to do it....it'll get the boot before anything is resolved.
post #197 of 270 Old 04-27-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

Some questions that are not addressed. Does he live the same day/date twice, once in each reality. (If so, hello Lotto!)
What happens if he stays up all night?

This last episode shows that there is variations in the day -- the same football game is won or lost by inches. I don't think the Lotto would work in this supposed universe. I've wondered about the staying up all night business.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #198 of 270 Old 04-27-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

I agree....this show needs to get more into the "back story" of the captain and whoever she's in league with. Thirty seconds of this every couple episodes isn't going to do it....it'll get the boot before anything is resolved.

I'm sure they still believe doing a by-the-book cop procedural is the key to ratings and financial success, aping the CBS formula. They're just trying to shoehorn in an overall plot mystery to try and hook a different demographic who normally would prefer to pluck their eyes out than be caught watching typical procedural pablum. It's an unfortunate pattern we'll be seeing more and more of, I'm afraid. Pure serials with a complex and densely plotted storyline on broadcast TV = fail (especially if they have a sci-fi-ish component). We've seen it time & time again. People today just don't have the necessary attention span.

But you're right, it's not nearly enough to make it interesting enough to devote an hour a week to it. It wasn't for me (I dropped out after 3 eps), and I'm surprised some of you guys are still hanging in there. Of course, if it turns out to be brilliant, I'll probably be sad & sorry I bailed. But, based on what I saw those first few weeks, I'm not terribly worried.
post #199 of 270 Old 04-27-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:

But you're right, it's not nearly enough to make it interesting enough to devote an hour a week to it. It wasn't for me (I dropped out after 3 eps), and I'm surprised some of you guys are still hanging in there. Of course, if it turns out to be brilliant, I'll probably be sad & sorry I bailed. But, based on what I saw those first few weeks, I'm not terribly worried.

My reaction was the same. I have only managed to get through the first couple of episodes, although I have recorded the rest of them. I'm trying to make up my mind whether to try and catch up or, more likely, delete my season pass and move on.
post #200 of 270 Old 04-27-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I feel like they tried to bait and switch me into watching another generic cop show. I don't even watch the CSIs any more.

My guess is that their plan was to attract a huge audience with the strange and intriguing premise. Once the viewers have invested in Britten's character, they intended to coast through the middle of the season with easy recycled Law and Order plots and put the difficult backstory on hold. If the show makes it to the end of the season, it will suddenly "remember" what it's about and the premise will suddenly return out of nowhere. I guess you can blame the 20+ episode seasons that networks demand.

post #201 of 270 Old 04-27-2012, 10:41 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

The problem is, the audience doesn't really know if any of the "back story" stuff with the captain is even real on not anyway . You'd hope it is since that seems to be the intriguing part, but so far it's just something we've seen in one (I think) of his existences which may or may not actually be happening.

ron
post #202 of 270 Old 04-27-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Wasn't the captain in that short series "The Event"?.. Thursday is turning into a rough viewing night with Keifer in Touch and Awake. The football game was a good angle showing his 2 different lives.. So the is the son a daddy or isn't he?

post #203 of 270 Old 04-27-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

So the is the son a daddy or isn't he?

He is. The point of this last show was to show the variations in the two worlds as if they were parallel universes. The mysteries themselves were not that interesting -- it was more to set up the premise which was the big payoff. In his wife's world, the son left a pregnant girlfriend which is also a reason not to leave LA.

To get a little off point, many of the shows this season have a twist which is disclosed to the viewers before they ever see the show. The twist is used as an overarching plot device to make the shows work. The stories are all about the discovery of the plot device by others such as Once Upon A Time, Revenge and this show. The issue is whether these shows can make the reveal of these twists interesting enough to last a season and then beyond in other seasons. The shows get frustrating when they slow down the reveal process in order to prolong the conflict. I think "Lost" did it really well by changing the structure of the show almost every season. I'm not sure that these other shows are going to be successful in keeping the story new and fresh if they are renewed.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #204 of 270 Old 04-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

.. Pure serials with a complex and densely plotted storyline on broadcast TV = fail (especially if they have a sci-fi-ish component). We've seen it time & time again. People today just don't have the necessary attention span..

Stop blaming the viewer for the failures like there is something wrong with them, i.e. "attention span"

NBC Entertainment is where good creative ideas go to die by the hands of the non creative account who's see technology as a means to sell more soap. You cannot ignore the success of people for science fiction at the movies and then cry attention span for TV and blame people as the reason why science fiction disappears when it's on TV. It's not fair and it's not reality to blame it on the viewer.

The TV suits hate good science fiction because it's not cheap amusement. Never the less, oh how they love being seen with creative people, but they are non creative and they are cowards in investing anything artistically redeemable. You know, just like Satan.
post #205 of 270 Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Just watched 4 episodes this week. I'm thinking that his wife being alive is "the real life" and the "dream sequence/fantasy life" is the one with his son being alive. How he's able to dream this stuff and tie into into solving things in the wife life is beyond me....maybe that's the reveal. How the Captain ties into this in the real/wife life and what happened to cause the death of his kid is beyond my reach.

I'll keep watching...again, on my own schedule. My wife only wants to watch this at the kitchen table because if we watch it on the couch/in bed one/both of us fall asleep! How's that for an ironic twist on the show's title?
post #206 of 270 Old 04-30-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 457
From TV Week,

Quote:

In Another Bad Sign for NBC Show, the Network Shuffles Its Finale Out of May Sweeps

NBC has tweaked the schedules for a couple of its season finales, moving the finale of a low-rated series out of the May sweeps period and moving another season finale into sweeps, TVLine.com reports.

The freshman series Awake, which has been performing poorly, gets bumped from the sweeps lineup, while fan favorite Community gets an upgrade to sweeps, the story reports.

The finale of "Community" moves up a week to May 17. The finale is a double-episode program, which will be added to a night that already has a previously scheduled "Community" episode, meaning that NBC will air three episodes of the show on May 17, the story says. The regular episode will air at 8 p.m., followed by the season finale of 30 Rock, then the back-to-back Community episodes.

The loser in the scheduling change is "Awake," which was supposed to have a double-episode finale on May 17. Instead, the freshman drama will air its second hour of its finale on May 24, the night after the sweeps period ends, the piece notes.

Apparently NBC announces renewals/cancellations in 2 weeks.
post #207 of 270 Old 04-30-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought the recent episode was pretty good, especially the back story with the son and the girl. They have one good episode followed by one mediocre one.
post #208 of 270 Old 05-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am now 2 episodes behind, but I enjoy the show - don't love it but still pretty solid 3/5. I like the parts with BD Wong and the other shrink. The detective stories are generally acceptable but yes, there needs to be a focus in every episode of the overarching question (i.e. the large elephant in the room).

Maybe Detective Britton can focus better than I can, but I'd be trying to get both lifes to cross, etc and worry less about some of these cases that affect other people.

This projection doesn't bode well for its renewal, nor for Alcatraz which was another drama I picked up and also liked fairly well.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...candal/128020/

"Awake NBC Certain Cancellation "

How many episodes are left now? I wonder if it is worth finishing out this season, since renewal is doubtful?

EDIT - OK, I looked it up on wikipedia and there are 3 new episodes left, finale on May 24th. It has earned my viewership for five more episodes. Wonder how much they reveal though.
post #209 of 270 Old 05-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I've grown to like this show. I would be sad to see it go. Not 'Journeyman' sad, but I think it's begun to get much more interesting lately, what with the pregnancy and all.
post #210 of 270 Old 05-11-2012, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Last night's episode was the best one so far. This is what I thought the show was going to be like all along.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page