post #181 of 228 Old 09-30-2012, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

Maybe people would take it more seriously if our "heroes" didn't ride around in a MINIVAN!!!
I do watch the show, but I haven't made up my mind yet if I like it. This just seems to be a low-rent X-men. The powers that this elite team have would make them the sidekicks in the kid movie "Sky High." I know that they purposely make the members flawed somehow, but I just get tired of seeing the bad guys with bad-a** powers that they know how to use and are not afraid to use them. This was the same flaw in the first X-Men movie. Here are these superheros that have been training at the Mutant Academy for any situation and they're beaten by the Toad whose powers consist of jumping around and hurling phlegm.
The chemistry between the Alphas is coming together but cut down on the angsty stuff.

I kinda thought that was the point (low rent powers) but this season is going bonkers on big powers. And I think Dr. Rosen is going bonkers himself. I hope it ain't jumping the shark.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 228 Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Try not to compare Alphas to X-men or any other movie/series about superhumans. I'm glad this show takes the tack that there's a clandestine government program to help/hinder (depending upon the government offical's viewpoint) the Alphas. However, like many government agencies, it's ill-funded. Thus, they have to drive in an old minivan, and they rent bland offices in a 70s'-era ugly office building.

Also, Rosen's original intent was to help the individuals with their psychological issues, but he's increasingly dragged in to the government agendas on one hand, and the rebellious Alpha elements such as Parrish on the other hand.
post #183 of 228 Old 10-23-2012, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Season finale was pretty solid. I can't help but wonder if that's it for this show. I still find it surprising that Alphas wasn't better received here.
post #184 of 228 Old 10-23-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris View Post

Season finale was pretty solid. I can't help but wonder if that's it for this show. I still find it surprising that Alphas wasn't better received here.

Its a show I always catch. Its been a bit shrill this season as it tried to amp up the danger. I agree that the finale was solid.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #185 of 228 Old 10-23-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I guess I misunderstood but I thought the Alphas weren't supposed to be affected by the lites.

Any word on a second season?

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #186 of 228 Old 10-23-2012, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

I guess I misunderstood but I thought the Alphas weren't supposed to be affected by the lites.
Any word on a second season?

It would be the third season if it gets renewed. I think its a bubble show. Ratings aren't great, but not terrible. I happen to really like it. It became somewhat darker this year and I agree a pretty solid finale.
post #187 of 228 Old 10-24-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 200
This is one of my don't miss shows. I realy like the team as a whole too, good chemistry.

post #188 of 228 Old 10-24-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
GARY!!! OH NOES!!!eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Of course Gary is unaffected by the strobes, because of his autism and his abilities (or both). Does that mean "normals" with autism are also unaffected?

Hopefully the show will be around next year for us to find out.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #189 of 228 Old 10-24-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 615
I don't like horses. They always look confused. biggrin.gif

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #190 of 228 Old 10-24-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

GARY!!! OH NOES!!!eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
Of course Gary is unaffected by the strobes, because of his autism and his abilities (or both). Does that mean "normals" with autism are also unaffected?
Hopefully the show will be around next year for us to find out.

Blind people, people in total darkness, and areas with no technology. They could say Rosen was temporarily immune because of alpha healing or do a cop out and say he passed out from his injuries just before the attack.
post #191 of 228 Old 10-25-2012, 03:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Great season ending cliff-hanger. That old generator was only good for powering that building. There was no way it was going to power New York. Plus, the building would be on breakers as well.

I know, we had to suspend belief for the storyline. biggrin.gif

Here's hoping for a season three.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #192 of 228 Old 10-25-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Great season ending cliff-hanger. That old generator was only good for powering that building. There was no way it was going to power New York. Plus, the building would be on breakers as well.
I know, we had to suspend belief for the storyline. biggrin.gif
Here's hoping for a season three.

Very good cliff hangar. Suck we have to wait to see if there is a season 3 and what happend (or did not) to Gary.
post #193 of 228 Old 10-25-2012, 10:15 AM

Liked: 16
So there are people that watch this show. tongue.gif

My thoughts on the season:
- I liked how Nina pushed away Tyler, went rogue, tried to end it all, and eventually learned to control her instinctive impulse to push people. I really want her and Tyler to work it out. She was fairly cold emotionally the first 1.5 seasons but I find her very sympathetic now.
- I thought the addition of Kat as a "jack of all trades" alpha was a great addition to the team. She's the ultimate alpha yet flawed.
- Rosen and Tyler's shift toward the dark side the second half of this season was handled pretty well.
- Gary is like a cross of Rainman and Sheldon Cooper from BBT. He's perfect!
- I go back and forth every episode regarding who is hotter, Rachel or Nina. Nina has legs for days and Rachel's an Afghan goddess sans excess body hair. biggrin.gif

The Finale:
- Pretty sure Skylar said the strobes would amplify alpha abilities and kill all normal humans. I believe Rachel passed out when she was hit with the coma therapy strobe a few eps back. Considering Rosen's daughter was an alpha, I'm wondering if the strobe could've triggered a gene in Dr Rosen's dna to activate so far undiscovered latent alpha abilities. Lookout Dr Xavier you've got competition.
- Leaving Gary as the only person standing was the mark of some imaginitive writers. It didn't even occur to me until after the fact, that Gary's brain was wired different.
- I fully expected Stanton Parish to be gone by the time Gary reached the team on the platform.
- Danielle seems like too significant of a character to write off for good. I wouldn't be surprised to see her ghost in future episodes should the series be continued.

What's the verdict from AVS members? Was that the series finale or season finale? Personally I thought the writers had done an excellent job with character development. The relationships between alpha team members felt real. They pretty much dropped the monster of the week format completely. Each episode had a nice blend of serious drama, comedy, action, and decent special effects. The wife and I are still laughing about the episode where Rachel and John are making out in the livingroom of her parents apartment and she runs off and leaves him with her dad. Just wrong on so many levels. I certainly hope this show returns for a 3rd season. I wouldn't mind seeing Summer Glau added as the teams technical expert; Think Q from the Bond series.
post #194 of 228 Old 10-25-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm hoping for season finale but expecting series finale. frown.gif

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #195 of 228 Old 10-25-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris View Post

-
What's the verdict from AVS members? Was that the series finale or season finale? Personally I thought the writers had done an excellent job with character development.

My thoughts on the season:
this season was even better than last ,Plots were well written , Characters were fleshed out nicely , Character personally arcs are progressing nicely with interactions between the team members .

I wouldn't mind seeing Summer Glau added as a regular , she was a Great asset to the short lived SyFi Classic @ Fox " FireFly "
I JUST HOPE this will be back & not die on the Vine , . . . . . . rolleyes.gif

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #196 of 228 Old 10-25-2012, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I very much enjoyed this season, as well. I can see how Rachel could be overwhelmed by the strobes again, but not sure why everyone else passed out. I too hope it is renewed. I originally thought of it as X-men lite, but it has taken on it's own character.

Personally, I find Rachel MUCH hotter. She has gorgeous legs and skin. The scene with her finally in bed with her boyfriend really revealed her beauty.

Love the rock riff from the theme song, too.
post #197 of 228 Old 10-25-2012, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Forgot this. Did I see that Peter Weller directed the last episode? Not sure if I recorded show. Credits were at beginning.
post #198 of 228 Old 10-30-2012, 03:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I thought this was a great season. I had DVRd most of it and just caught up. I liked (and was surprised by) the dark turn the team took. Lots of infighting, lack of trust etc.... And despite all that, they literally all came together in the end. As with the first season's finale, I'm pleased to see that this show is willing to take chances. If we get a season 3, I'd love to see how things turn out.
post #199 of 228 Old 10-30-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I finally caught up w/ the finale today. I thoroughly enjoyed this season, too, even better than the first one.

Why are we wondering if it's the end? Are the ratings that bad? It's the only thing This and Warehouse 13 are the only things I watch on Syfy, so maybe the rest of Alphas' audience are also not Syfy's target demographic.
post #200 of 228 Old 10-30-2012, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
My wife and I really like this series but we both (apparently unlike everyone else on this forum) thought the finale sucked. We were hoping the Stanton Parish story line would come to a conclusive end. However, nothing was resolved. Now we have to wait months to find out what really happened. Not sure I really care at this point.
post #201 of 228 Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOPA View Post

Forgot this. Did I see that Peter Weller directed the last episode? Not sure if I recorded show. Credits were at beginning.

Matt Hastings directed.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #202 of 228 Old 10-31-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

I finally caught up w/ the finale today. I thoroughly enjoyed this season, too, even better than the first one.

Why are we wondering if it's the end? Are the ratings that bad? It's the only thing This and Warehouse 13 are the only things I watch on Syfy, so maybe the rest of Alphas' audience are also not Syfy's target demographic.
Yes, the ratings on the entire season were pretty bad. Though SyFy has such low standards that it might still come back. I think it will come back if they can somehow pare down the cast and cut the overall budget. By the end of season two, Alphas had a huge ensemble cast for its mediocre ratings.

I wholeheartedly endorse making Summer Glau a permanent cast member, I think she has given up on the hopes of being a major network star and she fits right into the show.
post #203 of 228 Old 11-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

Yes, the ratings on the entire season were pretty bad. Though SyFy has such low standards that it might still come back. I think it will come back if they can somehow pare down the cast and cut the overall budget. By the end of season two, Alphas had a huge ensemble cast for its mediocre ratings.
I wholeheartedly endorse making Summer Glau a permanent cast member, I think she has given up on the hopes of being a major network star and she fits right into the show.

I'd love to see Summer Glau as a regular. I've enjoyed her acting in several shows like the The Sarah Connor Chronicles and especially Fire Fly!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #204 of 228 Old 01-16-2013, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
post #205 of 228 Old 01-16-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by baja7475 View Post

Alphas cancelled mad.gif

http://tvline.com/2013/01/16/alphas-cancelled-syfy/
Well that sucks.
baja7475 likes this.
post #206 of 228 Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by baja7475 View Post

Alphas cancelled mad.gif

Ah, crap. Bummer. It wasn't perfect, but it was entertaining enough for me to miss it. I appreciated the risks they took (like having what amounted to total resets at the end of both seasons) and it's a shame we won't see where it goes.
baja7475 likes this.
post #207 of 228 Old 01-16-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

Ah, crap. Bummer. It wasn't perfect, but it was entertaining enough for me to miss it..

I think you meant to say that you didn't miss it.

As usual, Syfy's true a-hole colors are on display.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #208 of 228 Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 615
What?! This is lame. I really liked Alphas. Thought they were doing better in the rating too.frown.gif
baja7475 likes this.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #209 of 228 Old 01-16-2013, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I think that it is clearly evident that we need a new ratings system. I know a lot of people that love low rated shows. It seams that the Nielsen families only "Occu-Dramas", Sitcoms and Reality shows.
post #210 of 228 Old 01-16-2013, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I am not TOO surprised. I liked the first season better than the second. I expect that some viewers were put off by the retooling between the seasons. En what that said, I enjoyed it and am sorry it won't be returning.

Any chance for a movie or something to resolve the cliff hanger ending of season 2? It's just wasteful to leave so many people unconscious on the ground... smile.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page