AVS Forum banner

Alphas on Syfy HD

18K views 227 replies 60 participants last post by  DaveFi 
#1 ·
Surprised there isn't a thread on this show yet.

Anyway, watched the pilot last night and really enjoyed it. Looks like a promising show.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1183865/

#178 ·
I'm surprised this show isn't better received on AVS. The character development in S2 has been really good. Nina, Hicks, Danielle, and Dr Rosen's characters have been fleshed out a lot more in recent episodes. Gary is dropping humorous quips in every episode. They've gone away somewhat from the blatant monster of the week format toward something more like Fringe where there's an underlying plotline that each episode attempts to advance. For a tv serial, the special effects are more than adequate, at times they're actually pretty good. I've noticed their powers getting stronger and it doesn't bother me that they're inching closer to Xmen territory. As long as nobody starts flying or teleporting, I'm ok with it. This is the only show on SyFy that I watch now that SGU is dead but I think it's pretty solid.

#179 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris  /t/1347169/alphas-on-syfy-hd/150#post_22443132

I'm surprised this show isn't better received on AVS.
I think SyFy has degraded their brand so much that many here simply ignore them completely now. Kind of like their "mega/super/ultra" whatever- crappy Asylum produced movies which most avoid like the plague because they're past the point of being cheesy fun now.

It's too bad SyFy has become it's own worst enemy because Alphas is a hidden gem on a throw-away network.

#180 ·
Maybe people would take it more seriously if our "heroes" didn't ride around in a MINIVAN!!!

I do watch the show, but I haven't made up my mind yet if I like it. This just seems to be a low-rent X-men. The powers that this elite team have would make them the sidekicks in the kid movie "Sky High." I know that they purposely make the members flawed somehow, but I just get tired of seeing the bad guys with bad-a** powers that they know how to use and are not afraid to use them. This was the same flaw in the first X-Men movie. Here are these superheros that have been training at the Mutant Academy for any situation and they're beaten by the Toad whose powers consist of jumping around and hurling phlegm.

The chemistry between the Alphas is coming together but cut down on the angsty stuff.

#181 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01  /t/1347169/alphas-on-syfy-hd/120_60#post_22447735

Maybe people would take it more seriously if our "heroes" didn't ride around in a MINIVAN!!!

I do watch the show, but I haven't made up my mind yet if I like it. This just seems to be a low-rent X-men. The powers that this elite team have would make them the sidekicks in the kid movie "Sky High." I know that they purposely make the members flawed somehow, but I just get tired of seeing the bad guys with bad-a** powers that they know how to use and are not afraid to use them. This was the same flaw in the first X-Men movie. Here are these superheros that have been training at the Mutant Academy for any situation and they're beaten by the Toad whose powers consist of jumping around and hurling phlegm.

The chemistry between the Alphas is coming together but cut down on the angsty stuff.

I kinda thought that was the point (low rent powers) but this season is going bonkers on big powers. And I think Dr. Rosen is going bonkers himself. I hope it ain't jumping the shark.

#182 ·
Try not to compare Alphas to X-men or any other movie/series about superhumans. I'm glad this show takes the tack that there's a clandestine government program to help/hinder (depending upon the government offical's viewpoint) the Alphas. However, like many government agencies, it's ill-funded. Thus, they have to drive in an old minivan, and they rent bland offices in a 70s'-era ugly office building.

Also, Rosen's original intent was to help the individuals with their psychological issues, but he's increasingly dragged in to the government agendas on one hand, and the rebellious Alpha elements such as Parrish on the other hand.

#184 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris  /t/1347169/alphas-on-syfy-hd/180_60#post_22519816

Season finale was pretty solid. I can't help but wonder if that's it for this show. I still find it surprising that Alphas wasn't better received here.

Its a show I always catch. Its been a bit shrill this season as it tried to amp up the danger. I agree that the finale was solid.

#186 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark  /t/1347169/alphas-on-syfy-hd/180#post_22521090

I guess I misunderstood but I thought the Alphas weren't supposed to be affected by the lites.

Any word on a second season?

It would be the third season if it gets renewed. I think its a bubble show. Ratings aren't great, but not terrible. I happen to really like it. It became somewhat darker this year and I agree a pretty solid finale.

#190 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi  /t/1347169/alphas-on-syfy-hd/160_40#post_22523644

GARY!!! OH NOES!!!

Of course Gary is unaffected by the strobes, because of his autism and his abilities (or both). Does that mean "normals" with autism are also unaffected?

Hopefully the show will be around next year for us to find out.

Blind people, people in total darkness, and areas with no technology. They could say Rosen was temporarily immune because of alpha healing or do a cop out and say he passed out from his injuries just before the attack.

#191 ·
Great season ending cliff-hanger. That old generator was only good for powering that building. There was no way it was going to power New York. Plus, the building would be on breakers as well.

I know, we had to suspend belief for the storyline.

Here's hoping for a season three.

#192 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo  /t/1347169/alphas-on-syfy-hd/180#post_22525056

Great season ending cliff-hanger. That old generator was only good for powering that building. There was no way it was going to power New York. Plus, the building would be on breakers as well.

I know, we had to suspend belief for the storyline.

Here's hoping for a season three.

Very good cliff hangar. Suck we have to wait to see if there is a season 3 and what happend (or did not) to Gary.

#193 ·
So there are people that watch this show.

My thoughts on the season:

- I liked how Nina pushed away Tyler, went rogue, tried to end it all, and eventually learned to control her instinctive impulse to push people. I really want her and Tyler to work it out. She was fairly cold emotionally the first 1.5 seasons but I find her very sympathetic now.

- I thought the addition of Kat as a "jack of all trades" alpha was a great addition to the team. She's the ultimate alpha yet flawed.

- Rosen and Tyler's shift toward the dark side the second half of this season was handled pretty well.

- Gary is like a cross of Rainman and Sheldon Cooper from BBT. He's perfect!

- I go back and forth every episode regarding who is hotter, Rachel or Nina. Nina has legs for days and Rachel's an Afghan goddess sans excess body hair.

The Finale:

- Pretty sure Skylar said the strobes would amplify alpha abilities and kill all normal humans. I believe Rachel passed out when she was hit with the coma therapy strobe a few eps back. Considering Rosen's daughter was an alpha, I'm wondering if the strobe could've triggered a gene in Dr Rosen's dna to activate so far undiscovered latent alpha abilities. Lookout Dr Xavier you've got competition.

- Leaving Gary as the only person standing was the mark of some imaginitive writers. It didn't even occur to me until after the fact, that Gary's brain was wired different.

- I fully expected Stanton Parish to be gone by the time Gary reached the team on the platform.

- Danielle seems like too significant of a character to write off for good. I wouldn't be surprised to see her ghost in future episodes should the series be continued.

What's the verdict from AVS members? Was that the series finale or season finale? Personally I thought the writers had done an excellent job with character development. The relationships between alpha team members felt real. They pretty much dropped the monster of the week format completely. Each episode had a nice blend of serious drama, comedy, action, and decent special effects. The wife and I are still laughing about the episode where Rachel and John are making out in the livingroom of her parents apartment and she runs off and leaves him with her dad. Just wrong on so many levels. I certainly hope this show returns for a 3rd season. I wouldn't mind seeing Summer Glau added as the teams technical expert; Think Q from the Bond series.

#195 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris  /t/1347169/alphas-on-syfy-hd/160_40#post_22526113

-

What's the verdict from AVS members? Was that the series finale or season finale? Personally I thought the writers had done an excellent job with character development.
My thoughts on the season:

this season was even better than last ,Plots were well written , Characters were fleshed out nicely , Character personally arcs are progressing nicely with interactions between the team members .

I wouldn't mind seeing Summer Glau added as a regular , she was a Great asset to the short lived SyFi Classic @ Fox " FireFly "

I JUST HOPE this will be back & not die on the Vine , . . . . . .

#196 ·
I very much enjoyed this season, as well. I can see how Rachel could be overwhelmed by the strobes again, but not sure why everyone else passed out. I too hope it is renewed. I originally thought of it as X-men lite, but it has taken on it's own character.

Personally, I find Rachel MUCH hotter. She has gorgeous legs and skin. The scene with her finally in bed with her boyfriend really revealed her beauty.

Love the rock riff from the theme song, too.

#198 ·
I thought this was a great season. I had DVRd most of it and just caught up. I liked (and was surprised by) the dark turn the team took. Lots of infighting, lack of trust etc.... And despite all that, they literally all came together in the end. As with the first season's finale, I'm pleased to see that this show is willing to take chances. If we get a season 3, I'd love to see how things turn out.

#199 ·
I finally caught up w/ the finale today. I thoroughly enjoyed this season, too, even better than the first one.

Why are we wondering if it's the end? Are the ratings that bad? It's the only thing This and Warehouse 13 are the only things I watch on Syfy, so maybe the rest of Alphas' audience are also not Syfy's target demographic.

#200 ·
My wife and I really like this series but we both (apparently unlike everyone else on this forum) thought the finale sucked. We were hoping the Stanton Parish story line would come to a conclusive end. However, nothing was resolved. Now we have to wait months to find out what really happened. Not sure I really care at this point.

#201 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOPA  /t/1347169/alphas-on-syfy-hd/180#post_22527154

Forgot this. Did I see that Peter Weller directed the last episode? Not sure if I recorded show. Credits were at beginning.

Matt Hastings directed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.