Alphas on Syfy HD - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 228 Old 01-17-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I, too, enjoyed the first season better than the second, but am sorry it won't return.

It seems like every show now has to create a huge apocalyptic story arc, instead of focusing on smaller character-based stand alone plots. I'm afraid it's happening to Warehouse 13, too. When they get too overblown, some viewers (like me) start to burn out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 228 Old 01-17-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It had the weakest ratings of all the Syfy series. Not too surprised.

Argee
post #213 of 228 Old 01-17-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

As usual, Syfy's true a-hole colors are on display.
Agreed!
It's like their parent company NBC- I try to avoid their shows whenever I can. Have been burnt by them too many times mad.gif

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #214 of 228 Old 01-18-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 245
At least this makes room on a science fiction channel to add more wrestling!!

SyFy execs are idiots.
baja7475 likes this.

post #215 of 228 Old 01-18-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

SyFy execs are idiots.

I'm sure it's a lot more profitable than producing a real drama with real actors. They'll probably fill the time w/ Ghost Hunters. This requires only a few 20-something people w/ a couple a digital handycams to wander around a dark building and mutter things like: "Did you hear that?" followed by "No."
post #216 of 228 Old 01-18-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:

SyFy execs are idiots.
No, they aren't idiots.

They may not be serving the core theme of the channel, but their obligation is to serve the real customers: the advertisers and the stock holders. That may suck for the viewer wanting real scifi content, but it's good business for the channel.

As a viewer, I don't like it any more than you do, but these channels are obligated to make money. If more people watched scifi programming, that's what they would program with. There just aren't enough of us to be viable.
post #217 of 228 Old 01-18-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

No, they aren't idiots.

They may not be serving the core theme of the channel, but their obligation is to serve the real customers: the advertisers and the stock holders. That may suck for the viewer wanting real scifi content, but it's good business for the channel.

As a viewer, I don't like it any more than you do, but these channels are obligated to make money. If more people watched scifi programming, that's what they would program with. There just aren't enough of us to be viable.

So in other words, these days it's all about claiming billboard space (and maximizing the amount of cash, in the form of carriage fees, extracted from cable/satellite customers.) The original purpose for having "genre" channels has been forgotten and left in the dust.

Where does it all end? 500 Channels of "Honey Boo Boo" playing 24/7? biggrin.gif
post #218 of 228 Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 245
At least they will have more time/money to make another great movie classic like Giant Space Croc vs. Alien Twisters. rolleyes.gif

post #219 of 228 Old 01-18-2013, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Where does it all end? 500 Channels of "Honey Boo Boo" playing 24/7? biggrin.gif
(shhhhhh...don't give them any ideas)eek.gif
post #220 of 228 Old 01-18-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

Yeah, that followed by "Ow! My Balls!" and "The Masturbation Channel"...

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #221 of 228 Old 01-19-2013, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Quote:

SyFy execs are idiots.
No, they aren't idiots.

+1
I have to agree. I would have posted something similar, but I expected to get a lot of flack for it. You are correct. They are obligated to stay in business as long as possible. smile.gif Here have a Twinkie on me. biggrin.gif
Quote:

So in other words, these days it's all about claiming billboard space (and maximizing the amount of cash, in the form of carriage fees, extracted from cable/satellite customers.) The original purpose for having "genre" channels has been forgotten and left in the dust.

Unfortunately, that seems to be what it is coming to. On the other hand, even American Idol has had a drastic reduction in ratings the last two years, so there is a limit to what people are willing to take. tongue.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #222 of 228 Old 01-19-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 550
I simply won't watch reality TV. No how, no way. Don't know what i will do when and if every (expensive) scripted show on TV is replaced by a new (cheap) reality show.
post #223 of 228 Old 01-19-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I simply won't watch reality TV. No how, no way. Don't know what i will do when and if every (expensive) scripted show on TV is replaced by a new (cheap) reality show.

I don't watch any reality TV either. I have a lot better things to do with my time.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #224 of 228 Old 01-19-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I don't watch any reality TV either. I have a lot better things to do with my time.
What's "reality TV", is that where they manufacture things like the Kardashians?
post #225 of 228 Old 01-20-2013, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

What's "reality TV", is that where they manufacture things like the Kardashians?

That's a good question. I used to say, it was unscripted, but with the realization that almost all of "reality TV" is in fact scripted, I don't have a good closed-form answer anymore. All I can say is, I know it when I see it!rolleyes.gif

Luke

post #226 of 228 Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Cancelled. No season 3.
DRAT.
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/16/alphas-cancelled/

The network has decided to not renew the show, about a group of people with various superhuman abilities, for a third round. The axing isn’t too surprising since Alpha‘s second season debut last summer only delivered 1.7 million viewers, which was down significantly from its series debut the prior year. Syfy tried switching showrunners between the show’s first and second season in hopes of improving the numbers. Guess none of the Alphas team had the power to conjure up Nielsen ratings.

Syfy released this statement: “Syfy has decided not to renew Alphas for a third season. We’ve been proud to present this entertaining, high-quality series for two seasons and to work with an incredible ensemble of talented actors, producers and creatives as well as our partners at BermanBraun Television. We’d like to thank the show’s dedicated regular viewers for their tremendous support.”
post #227 of 228 Old 01-21-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Cancelled. No season 3.
DRAT.
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/16/alphas-cancelled/

The network has decided to not renew the show, about a group of people with various superhuman abilities, for a third round. The axing isn’t too surprising since Alpha‘s second season debut last summer only delivered 1.7 million viewers, which was down significantly from its series debut the prior year. Syfy tried switching showrunners between the show’s first and second season in hopes of improving the numbers. Guess none of the Alphas team had the power to conjure up Nielsen ratings.

Syfy released this statement: “Syfy has decided not to renew Alphas for a third season. We’ve been proud to present this entertaining, high-quality series for two seasons and to work with an incredible ensemble of talented actors, producers and creatives as well as our partners at BermanBraun Television. We’d like to thank the show’s dedicated regular viewers for their tremendous support.”

Read above you... smile.gif

Robert Clark
post #228 of 228 Old 01-21-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Oh goody. They cancelled Alphas, that leaves plenty of space in the schedule for more reality shows and wrestling.mad.gif

"SyFy" indeed. No wonder they changed their name.rolleyes.gif

At least there is one new scripted sci-fi show coming up this season (although the name fails me at the moment), although with SyFy's record I don't expect that one to last long either.

Alphas would be the perfect show for Netflix to pick up.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page