Web Therapy on SHO - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 07-19-2011, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I saw the commercial for this show. I think it looks OK.
Tonight is the premier.

Television review: 'Web Therapy'
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 by Mary M.

Lisa Kudrow and Maulik Pancholy in Showtime's "Web Therapy." (Showtime / July 19, 2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATimes View Post

Of all the "Friends" alumni, Lisa Kudrow has certainly had the most interesting career. In the seven years since the show ended, Kudrow had done film roles, a star turn in the fabulous and tragically short-lived series "The Comeback," and executive produced the American version of the popular British show "Who Do You Think You Are?" Three years ago, she even ventured into the brave new world of webisodes, with" Web Therapy," a semi-improvised series in which Fiona Wallice (Kudrow), Wharton grad turned "therapist," sees her patients via three-minute video chats. Because who needs to sit through a 50-minute hour listening to patients natter on about their dreams and feelings?

Innovative and hilarious, "Web Therapy" was clearly a labor of love by creators Kudrow, Don Roos and Dan Bucatinsky. Kudrow has worked with writer/director Roos and partner Bucatinsky (who also stars in "Web Therapy") on several films and they all share the same fine ear, and eye, for the absurd, as well as the nerves of steel required by improv. Running from four to 11 minutes, each episode provided a perfect showcase for Kudrow's deadpan talents and drew a panoply of characters played by stars including Jane Lynch, Bob Balaban, Alan Cumming, Phylicia Rashad, Meryl Streep and (of course) Courteney Cox.

Now Showtime has scooped up the series and stitched the episodes together into a half-hour comedy of the same name. Though hamstrung by its format as most early hybrids of any sort tend to be, "Web Therapy" retains much of its sting and most of its comedy. The small-screen format remains we only see the characters as they interact with Fiona through computer screens but Fiona's back story is more clearly drawn. Though he is only referred to in the Web series, Fiona's husband Kip (Victor Garber) is introduced early on, as is her nightmarish mother, played, because the gods were smiling that day, by Lily Tomlin.

The notion of a therapist who is clearly more troubled than his or her patients is as old as talk therapy itself, and has been mined repeatedly on the large screen and small, with both comedic and dramatic result HBO's "In Treatment" and Starz's "Head Case" are the two most recent. Though "Web Therapy" owes a lot to "Head Case," which featured Alexandra Wentworth as Dr. Elizabeth Goode, another narcissistic, insensitive shrink, "Web Therapy" takes the premise one step further Fiona is much more interested in leveraging her new "modality" than even pretending to be a therapist. She is all medium and no message.

Although there are many laughs to be had in the new format watching Kudrow and Lynch go head to head works in any genre in making the move to TV, the creators had to choose between the lesser of the two evils. A more traditional, and less interesting, show would follow Fiona through her daily life, which would include but not be defined by her Web therapy practice.

This might have cut down on some of the airlessness caused by bringing a Web show to TV, but it would have been a sellout. As it is, some of the sharpness, the performance-art humor of the Web series is lost in translation, but even in the new form, it remains something remarkable, if not revolutionary, anchored by Kudrow, who is not so much inhabiting a character but an ethos the self-help movement by way of Merrill Lynch and YouTube, with outtakes thrown in at the end for good measure.

Not surprisingly, the outtakes are just as funny as the show.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...0,177157.story

Please see the official website for "Web Therapy" below.
http://www.sho.com/site/webtherapy/home.sho

You can watch "Web Therapy" on Tuesday night's at 9:00 PM CST only on Showtime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-20-2011, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I did not enjoy this show. I don't want to discourage anybody though.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-20-2011, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I wanted to like it but it was just extremely boring.
post #4 of 20 Old 07-21-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I enjoyed it enough to watch a couple more episodes. The concept requires consistently sharp writing, which may be difficult to maintain.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I made it through about 10 minutes then I was very bored and irritated. I might try to finish it at a later date.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-27-2011, 01:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I love it.
post #7 of 20 Old 07-27-2011, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I tried to watch the second episode and that voice that she is trying to do is just painful. I don't know how you make it through 30 minutes of that.
post #8 of 20 Old 07-27-2011, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

I love it.

Glad to hear it.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-05-2011, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

TV Notes
Lisa Kudrow's 'Web Therapy' Gets Second Season on Showtime
By Michael O'Connell, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - December 3rd, 2011

Showtime decided it needs more therapy.

The network announced Monday that it will air a second season of Lisa Kudrow comedy Web Therapy, set to air in 2012.

Transitioning from the web to the tube in summer of 2011, Web Therapy follows psychotherapist Fiona Wallice as she treats a variety of patients via webcam.

We are thrilled that Showtime will air more of the half-hour format of Web Therapy, we really love this version of the show, Kudrow said in a statement. Of course, we are over the moon that Meryl Streep will be in this coming season. She was effortlessly hilarious, and it's a great story. We have Lily Tomlin back who always fantastically funny. Conan O'Brien is beyond, fantastic, he's a perfect improviser. We're honestly giddy over the people we have for this season.

Rosie O'Donnell, Molly Shannon, Minnie Driver and Selma Blair are also among the guest actors appearing for the sophomore outing.

Created by Kudrow, Don Roos and Dan Bucatinsky, Web Therapy is produced by Is or Isn't Entertainment.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-streep-269604
post #10 of 20 Old 12-06-2011, 01:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Terrific!

Love this show.
post #11 of 20 Old 12-06-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Saw all of Season 1 one Saturday afternoon on SHO On Demand. Was surprised that there's an actual plot/thread going on from beginning to end involving marital/corporate blackmail along with the usual crazy family/friends/co-worker hijinks. I was sure the show's premise would allow for just one-off celebrity cameos (and there are a few of these: Jane Lynch, Courteney Cox, etc.) but most of the stars that show up (Bob Ballaban, Steve Weber, Alan Cummings, etc.) play characters directly related to the ongoing backstory of the show. Bottom line is that "Web Therapy" made me laugh more than it didn't and I love the slow-burn repressed angry WASP take that Lisa Kudrow brings to Fiona's personality. Any time Fiona chatted with her crazy mother (Lily Tomlin) was LOL nutty. Can't wait for Season 2 to air on SHO and even bought Kudrow's "The Comeback" on DVD to help me pass the time.
post #12 of 20 Old 06-30-2012, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I heard about this show and watched the pilot. I think I looked at the time remaining more than the show... It's a train wreck in progress and not in any good ways... PASS.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #13 of 20 Old 07-23-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Season premier tonight.

Don't want to be negative but I'm not sure how this show is still going tongue.gif
Bring back United States of Tara. Ha

Edit:
DSperber,
Hope you enjoy! biggrin.gif
post #14 of 20 Old 07-23-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Don't want to be negative but I'm not sure how this show is still going tongue.gif

My guess? Because it has got to be one of the cheapest shows on television to produce. It's also pretty funny. It gets enough ratings to justify its very low cost, even if the ratings aren't as high as other shows. Thanks for the reminder, I hadn't realized another season starts tonight. I, for one, will watch it.

-Mark
post #15 of 20 Old 07-23-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I hadn't realized another season starts tonight.
I saw a news item about Schwimmer and Kudrow, publicizing tonight's premiere. So I had already set my "series recording" yesterday.

Glad it's back.

Quote:
I, for one, will watch it.
As will I. I love this type of cerebral improv humor, like the recently ended 1st season of "Family Tree" (Christopher Guest's gem). Bea and Monk were hilarious characters.

Also looking forward to the Larry David movie "Clear History" on HBO August 10.

And love "Veep". Can't get enough.

If it doesn't have a laugh track or squealing audience members, and if I have to rewind several times to hear/see something hysterical again because I was laughing too hard the first time to pick up every nuance, I'm in.
post #16 of 20 Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

DSperber,
Hope you enjoy! biggrin.gif
Ironically, just last week I had made a mental note to check the web site from the studio that produces it, where they've got Season 1-5 posted. It's a series of 3-10 minute "webisodes". I believe the Showtime TV version is essentially re-created from these.

Anyway, ironically this week the 3rd season on Showtime begins!

I like her and her delivery, same as in the ill-fated "The Comeback" which I thought was terrific.
post #17 of 20 Old 07-24-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Fortunately my FIOS DVR recognized and captured this new-season show. Enjoyed the sly humor in most of the 1st-season.. But thought Steve Carell, wasn't used very effectively in this opener. -- John .
post #18 of 20 Old 07-26-2013, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Odd how this thread hasn't even made it past page 1 in 3 years. Guess that tells you something about the viewership.
post #19 of 20 Old 07-27-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I was a little wishy-washy on this show at first, but since then it has grown on me.
post #20 of 20 Old 07-28-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Finally got to watch this week's episode.

I also thought the Steve Carrell piece was lacking. He was almost a non-participant. I don't think he was properly prepared.

But the Alan Cummings piece was hilarious! I love both of the characters, Austen and Gina. And of course Fiona was thrilled to receive a gift of a $12 million dollar penthouse IN HER NAME, and then seemed quite amenable to Austen's plan for the day-after post-divorce-filing shenanigans.

And the Megan Mullally bit was similarly amusing.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page