post #361 of 1775 Old 12-13-2011, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Then who called the college professor's girl just before he got home when he was being followed? That HAD to be someone in the CIA since it was a rushed job to be following him in the first place.

man, you're good!

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1775 Old 12-14-2011, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I had my eye on that agent who came from overseas to America, can't remember his name, he had a conversation a while back with the CIA head about it. There have been a couple of camera shots which kind of hinted at something there. But, then I couldn't figure out his connection with the razor blade so I stopped looking for it. Could be something, though.
post #363 of 1775 Old 12-14-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Off topic, but Morena was on Craig Ferguson last night, and I was struck again by how strikingly beautiful she is. Craig observed how she had the "Hepburn" thing working for her. That had never occurred to me until he mentioned it, but once he did it seems obvious. It even looks like its a conscious choice on her part, with the short straight hair and demure manner...bigger boobs though

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #364 of 1775 Old 12-14-2011, 09:31 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Then who called the college professor's girl just before he got home when he was being followed? That HAD to be someone in the CIA since it was a rushed job to be following him in the first place.

I agree that that's the toughest thing to explain if there's no mole-- it's possible though that Walker was watching the professor and spotted the tail and alerted his wife. We know Walker was getting ready to visit the couples home, we know he already keeps tabs on his cohorts (looking for signals in the Diplomat's window) and we know he's a very cautious operator. So I'd say it's possible but still the toughest of the three leak-type events to explain if there's no mole.
post #365 of 1775 Old 12-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

I don't think the writers have the freedom (or the creativity) to have Brody flip the switch and blast himself out of next season. Thus, given that the series is being renewed, the finale doesn't hold much suspense for me (I hope I'm wrong, of course).

OTOH, if they could somehow make Brody the hero (given that he's apparently wearing that vest I don't see how they'd do it); e.g. kill Walker and save the VP, et. al., then the story might become that Brody is being saved for something even bigger. This would explain the existence of a handler (if indeed that's the case) and make this whole sniper/vest incident the real diversion.
post #366 of 1775 Old 12-14-2011, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

I think it was 14 agencys knew about the meeting in the park, not access to the prisoner. But the "no mole" theory sounds plausible. If nothing else, the idea of the mole diverted suspicion from Brody as far as the razor goes. Maybe that was its only purpose, and has been discarded by the writers?

Ok. It was a comment in passing and I thought they were talking about the mole.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #367 of 1775 Old 12-14-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Off topic, but Morena was on Craig Ferguson last night, and I was struck again by how strikingly beautiful she is. Craig observed how she had the "Hepburn" thing working for her. That had never occurred to me until he mentioned it, but once he did it seems obvious. It even looks like its a conscious choice on her part, with the short straight hair and demure manner...bigger boobs though

Morena "spottings" can never be off topic.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #368 of 1775 Old 12-14-2011, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

Morena "spottings" can never be off topic.

May as well post them here. If not, someone will just resurrect the Firefly thread in order to post them.

Although, posting about her striking beauty during an appearance without a screenshot seems unnecessarily cruel.
post #369 of 1775 Old 12-14-2011, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Ha. I agree, you should post them here.
post #370 of 1775 Old 12-14-2011, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I read that this is one of Obama's fave shows...FWIW.
post #371 of 1775 Old 12-15-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Have you seen Boss on Starz? Kelsey Grammer in the title role has been unbelievable, in my opinion a shoe-in for the Emmy.

By the way, just to go OT for a second, thanks for the tip here from you and others regarding Boss. I just did the season this week on VOD. Great show, excellent writing. Will head over to that thread now.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #372 of 1775 Old 12-15-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Claire Danes should take that Golden Globe... no question there..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #373 of 1775 Old 12-15-2011, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Claire Danes should take that Golden Globe... no question there..

Yes, after her being on her manic pole of her bi-polar condition it should be a no brainer. But ya never know... The only other show I've seen is The Killing, and Ms Enos has nothing on Ms Daines wrt acting in their respective shows. Part of it is due to how the character is written.
larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #374 of 1775 Old 12-15-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds54 View Post

I read that this is one of Obama's fave shows...FWIW.

That's very cool. Thanks for the posting.
post #375 of 1775 Old 12-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I concur with the President, Homeland and Nucky... I would also add Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy and the Walking Dead to the list of Best Shows....
post #376 of 1775 Old 12-15-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I think that we have good taste in shows. I have never been drawn into a show and characters as quickly as Homeland has done to me. I started three episodes into the season and went back to the begining to catch up! Thanks Directv for VOD.

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #377 of 1775 Old 12-15-2011, 11:58 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray lucca View Post

i concur with the president, homeland and nucky... I would also add breaking bad, sons of anarchy and the walking dead to the list of best shows....

+1

Love sports, movies, and games. Slowly some day I'll add a projector and screen. Until then, I'll build up my library.
post #378 of 1775 Old 12-16-2011, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I thought it was awesome how the visit to Gettysburg was set up as Brody's swan song to his family. The things he discussed, the history of it all, the standing up for what you believe in, etc... was brilliantly correlated to either what Brody had gone through, was going through or was about to do.

Joshua Chamberlain--I haven't looked him up yet on Google--but I'm sure there's something in his Gettysburg backstory that must equate to what Brody is going to do this week...no?

Also, the current VP--is he not going to be announcing his run for the presidency? Might that not be a big enough target for Nazir?

And as was mentioned, yes, his daughter does seem to be honing in on dad not being right (especially after she showed her boyfriend the video) Can't wait to see what this 90 minute piece of mastery has in store for us!
post #379 of 1775 Old 12-16-2011, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yesterday's NY Times article about Sunday's season finale. -- John
post #380 of 1775 Old 12-16-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb View Post

I thought it was awesome how the visit to Gettysburg was set up as Brody's swan song to his family. The things he discussed, the history of it all, the standing up for what you believe in, etc... was brilliantly correlated to either what Brody had gone through, was going through or was about to do.

Joshua Chamberlain--I haven't looked him up yet on Google--but I'm sure there's something in his Gettysburg backstory that must equate to what Brody is going to do this week...no?

I wasn't sure that Brody was making any specific comparison to Chamberlain when his was discussing Little Big Top. If you are at all interested in him, I 'd recommend that you get or rent the movie "Gettysburg". It's based on The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara, produced by Ted Turner and is a reverent recreation of the entire battle at Gettysburg. It came out on Blu-ray earlier this year. A significant part of the film does focus on Chamberlain who is wonderfully played by Jeff Daniels. It's a teriffic movie.
post #381 of 1775 Old 12-16-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I wasn't sure that Brody was making any specific comparison to Chamberlain when his was discussing Little Big Top...

I'm sure. Brody specifically described to his kids how Chamberlain used a bold tactic to trick and fluster his enemy.

I'm not sure how it applies to Nazir's plot, but I expect we'll find out on Sunday.

Doug
post #382 of 1775 Old 12-17-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 161
TV Notes
'Homeland' even surprises its star, Claire Danes
By Ellen Gray, Philadelphia Daily News

She may have had a few covert affairs, but Carrie Mathison is not the kind of CIA operative who gets to sprint through scenic European capitals in Louboutins, turning the spy world on with her smile.

And Claire Danes, who plays one of TV's more tortured interrogators on Showtime's "Homeland," is fine with that.

"I like my crazy lady," Danes said in a phone interview last week, just days before viewers would see her character, who's bipolar, devolve into a full-blown, career-threatening manic episode.

It's a performance that will almost certainly make the Emmy-winning "Temple Grandin" star a fixture on next year's awards-show circuit, but Danes, it's clear, sees a lot more in Carrie than Emmy bait.

"She's kind of better at her job than most people. And she doesn't have much tolerance for bureaucratic nonsense," she said of the driven agent, whose quest to stop what she expects to be a major terrorist attack on U.S. soil presumably comes to a head in Sunday's Season 1 finale.

Will there be twists to the very end?

"It's 'Homeland,' " she said, laughing. "Of course."

Even Danes, who said she had "a basic sense of the trajectory" of the show before shooting began, has occasionally been surprised by the series.

Developed by "24" producers Howard Gordon and Alex Gansa from an Israeli show, it also stars Damian Lewis ("Life") as Marine Sgt. Nicholas Brody, a former al Qaeda prisoner whom Carrie, at first convinced he was turned by his captors, spies on illegally and then falls for.

"That weekend with Brody," in which the two antagonists briefly come together romantically and he tells her things he'd so far told no one, "that's pretty shocking," she said.

"That whole scene did my head in. I was like, what? And that's happening? And that's happening?" she said. It was "this wildly layered moment, all these competing feelings and then there's a gun. It was difficult to wrangle all of that, make sense of it."

And television being television - yes, even on Showtime - there wasn't a lot of time to take it all in before bringing it to life.

"You get maybe a couple of days [with the script] before you start something. Maybe a little more than that. But, yes, it's very quick," she said.

Even if it weren't, it might be hard to keep up with Carrie, who's often inappropriate, but seldom predictably so.

"Yeah, she is compulsive," Danes said. "I think that she is, you know, a workaholic, to put it mildly; she is very consumed by her profession. And I think she does recognize Brody because they've had a lot of similar experiences. And I think she does genuinely fall in love with him."

Though that's made the scenes in which she realizes their interlude meant more to her than to him all the more poignant - we don't really think of CIA agents as wearing their hearts on their sleeves - it's also helped to make Carrie more than just a collection of symptoms.

"She's extremely lonely," Danes said. "In that profession, it's very difficult to cultivate lasting romantic relationships because you can't disclose so much of your experiences, you know. So much of what you do during the day is clandestine. So that's hard. And I think with her bipolar disorder, she's probably - it's probably caused a lot of damage in past relationships, so she's reluctant to make herself available to another one."

Professionally, Carrie is true to her own internal logic, the actress insisted.

"But she's myopic and she's impulsive. She's absolutely fixated on her goal, whatever that is. You know, she'll do anything she can to meet it. She's not very concerned with how other people are going to perceive her . . . [yet] I think she wants to be disciplined and contained and respectful and courteous, but she just can't contain herself all the time and she gets herself in trouble. And she knows that about herself."

Even for CIA operatives who don't share all of Carrie's issues, "I think it's a very lonely life," Danes said.

"It's very erratic. It's not all that dissimilar to our lives [as actors], in that we can't ever know what we're going to be doing in the next few months. We travel incessantly. We have these isolated, disconnected experiences."

The actress, now 32, has starred in just one other TV series, "My So-Called Life," which ran for a single, critically acclaimed season when she was still in her mid-teens.

Any worries about the already ordered Season 2 or the possibility of multiple seasons beyond it?

"I really trust the writers so deeply, so implicitly," she said. "And I know that they are going to want to continue to make" things interesting for themselves, too.

Note that she didn't actually say Carrie definitely makes it through to Season 2. Presumably, she'll be watching Sunday's season finale along with the rest of the show's fans.

"It's the first time I see it, when it airs. And it's really interesting to see everyone else's work. 'Oh, right. That's what they were doing,' " she said. "It's just really fun to see how my friends have been interpreting the material."

HOMELAND (Season Finale)
10 p.m. Sunday, Showtime.

http://www.philly.com/philly/enterta...ire_Danes.html
post #383 of 1775 Old 12-17-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Yesterday's NY Times article about Sunday's season finale. -- John

Thanks for the NY Times link. The think the comparison the article make to the Killing is unfair. AMC flat assed lied to us, and all you have to do is review my, and most others", posts on that thread for our reactions. (Don't get me going on Rubicon)

I don't anticipate any season ending that doesn't play fair on HOMELAND.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #384 of 1775 Old 12-17-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
The Washington Post had this article this week:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...isO_story.html

Doug
post #385 of 1775 Old 12-18-2011, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can't wait for tonight's season finale.
post #386 of 1775 Old 12-18-2011, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Damn. Moving television.

Great ending to the season.
post #387 of 1775 Old 12-18-2011, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Damn. Moving television.

Great ending to the season.

Wonder if that SD Card was reaquired by Brody? The sniper probably had it on him which will be shown next season. Brody's time is short though as Carrie will eventually remember Brody yelling out the child's name in his sleep (again). As soon as that pops back into her head it will hit the fan...

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
post #388 of 1775 Old 12-18-2011, 09:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I doubt that anyone will take Carrie seriously if she starts talking about Brody talking in his sleep after she boffed him. Saul maybe, but he's half way out the door at the CIA too.
post #389 of 1775 Old 12-18-2011, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Masterful.

My only complaint about this show, and this is a minor nit, is its callous regard for DC geography. The bathhouses in Dupont Circle, the preposterous presentation of Farragut Square, and now the high rise apartment building "a block away" from the State Department? Ignoring the fact that the side of the building they were ostensibly on faces towards the National Mall, there are no such high rises anywhere in the District. There are no buildings taller than the Capitol. But outside the windows, in plain view, there were several enormous skyscrapers.

Sadly, as a DC resident, it is always abundantly clear when I'm looking at the LA skyline out a window. But DC is a very unique city, more European than American in its architecture, design, and density, so I understand it's very difficult to portray convincingly on TV when you're primarily shooting in either LA, Vancouver, or NYC.
post #390 of 1775 Old 12-18-2011, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

Masterful.

My only complaint about this show, and this is a minor nit, is its callous regard for DC geography.

At least there are no visible palm trees, as is the norm for network shows.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Homeland The Complete First Season , Homeland The Complete Second Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page