Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1775 Old 12-22-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Agreed.

If we take at face value that Brody's role in this is personal ie. revenge against those responsible for Issa and 80 other children, then I think this motivation does not gel with one of "working-from-within", which is more of an ideological/political motivation.

I would guess that Brody finds himself no longer compelled to work for Nazir (having instead chosen to be with his family), and now finds himself in a pickle - how to extricate himself from the situation. He's just buying time in order to figure out an exit strategy (that keeps him alive and out of prison)

I hope that's the direction the series takes. IMO It works best when it's a personal story about these damaged characters ie. not overly political.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1775 Old 12-22-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

I interpreted Brody's expressions differently. In the safe room, I don't think he had a new plan. When he was confronted by Walker later, his expression showed that he did some quick thinking to come up with his "new plan." Otherwise, he would have been shot on the spot.

Doug

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I agree with you on this. I guess by "moment of clarity" while talking with his daughter, what Brody really did was chuck the plan out the window, not upgrade the plan on the fly. That probably did indeed come later. Whether he came up with it prior to his rendezvous with Walker or as the only way of saving his life when nothing else would work is a key factor as to his mindset going forward.
post #453 of 1775 Old 12-22-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Isn't the Marine One landing spot at Andrews, not Dulles?
post #454 of 1775 Old 12-22-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Actually its classic brainwashing isn't it? Nazir took advantage of Brody's natural remorse and rage at the death of the children, turning it into a blind desire for revenge. Brody was convinced he was dealing justice by killing the VP. He thinks he's acting for himself, doing what he thinks is right, when in reality he's just a pawn in Nazir's plan.It wasn't until the moment of truth in the safe room when his primal nature rebelled against what he was about to do, that his resolve weakened. The delay caused by the bomb's misfunction, and his daughter's plea to promise he would return home tipped the scales, freeing him from the stalemate of his conflicting emotions. Love of his family out weighed the twisted sense of justice Nazir had convinced him he was acting on. What I got out of the confrontation with Walker and the phone call is that he's still under Nazir's influence, but he's also starting to think for himself again.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #455 of 1775 Old 12-22-2011, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So next year episode one is going to have to have some crazy assassination attempt dong you think? With walker dead and Carey frying her short memory the CIA is going to think the case is closed.

Love sports, movies, and games. Slowly some day I'll add a projector and screen. Until then, I'll build up my library.
post #456 of 1775 Old 12-23-2011, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You can get cell phone coverage in a secure bunker like that? I would think that's a security risk.
post #457 of 1775 Old 12-23-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post

You can get cell phone coverage in a secure bunker like that? I would think that's a security risk.

Didn't think of it before, but if cell phones would work you'd think Nazir would have the bomb detonated remotely, wouldn't you? Sorta a fail safe...

post #458 of 1775 Old 12-23-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post

When Carrie gave the phone to the kid, she made a point of intimating that it was a "special phone". As I recall there was only one phone in the bunker that was receiving calls. Apparently Carrie had knowledge of the special cell network.

They can install cell networks anywhere they want and firewall them with access codes.
post #459 of 1775 Old 12-23-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Okay time to burst the bubble. They (Gov't) also have the ability to block cell communication to prevent cell to cell transmission. This is done to prevent any remote detonation. I worked the medical unit and experienced it first hand at the Rose Bowl post Sept 11 era at the Football game. Cell to cell communication was non existent during the game. the crowd was at least 70-80k for the event.
post #460 of 1775 Old 12-23-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

The fact that his daughter was calling and made contact is Hollywood. They would have been on radio communication only and would not have the signal in a bunker. Just my 2 cents!
post #461 of 1775 Old 12-23-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

Okay time to burst the bubble. They (Gov't) also have the ability to block cell communication to prevent cell to cell transmission. This is done to prevent any remote detonation. I worked the medical unit and experienced it first hand at the Rose Bowl post Sept 11 era at the Football game. Cell to cell communication was non existent during the game. the crowd was at least 70-80k for the event.

Joe Schmo can also get a.device that blocks calls. Its the one thing I.wish they would.implement at all movie theaters. I don't really think that's "news" to most people.

I agree that its.Hollywood though. It doesn't bother me.
post #462 of 1775 Old 12-23-2011, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Joe Schmo must have deep pockets to block a whole stadium full of people from calling on their mobiles. I agree it is needed in the theaters!
post #463 of 1775 Old 12-23-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

Joe Schmo must have deep pockets to block a whole stadium full of people from calling on their mobiles. I agree it is needed in the theaters!

They do sell them and they're not too expensive, as long as you're not trying to mute a stadium. I was going to pick one up a few years ago at my local "spy" shop here in NYC (btw you don't have to go through the dry cleaners to get to the spy store ) But then I found out that they are illegal Oh well. They have a lot of cool toys there that are illegal. I wanted to use it on the LIRR to silence the morons who can't go a minute without yapping like they're in a noisy bar.

Larry

I thought we were
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #464 of 1775 Old 12-24-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Not to get too off topic, but I find this stuff fascinating. Cell phone jammers have been around forever, they’re nothing new. All a jammer does is block specific frequencies. I did some research on these things a while back. I’m not sure if they’ve adapted, but it used to be a typical cell phone jammer blocked the 800 MHz to 1900 MHz spectrum which is what our mobile phone protocols (iDEN, CDMA and GSM) operate on for voice and data. I’m not sure about other 4G technologies, like Verizon’s LTE or AT&Ts LTE or HSPA+, but I know Sprint’s wimax operates on the 2300 MHz band.

So to throw a curve into all of this, If there was a device jamming wireless frequencies, and it couldn’t block anything higher than 1900 MHz, if you were in a 4G area, you could still use your cell phone for data, and VoIP using apps like Skype.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #465 of 1775 Old 01-14-2012, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I have episode 2 airing in the background right now. Just a great program!

The relationship with Saul and Carrie is remarkable.
post #466 of 1775 Old 01-16-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Claire Danes should take that Golden Globe... no question there..

Called it.. was an easy pick, but how about the show winning best Drama? nice

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #467 of 1775 Old 01-16-2012, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Found the show entertaining, but the (season) ending felt too much like a typical "Outer Limits/Twilight Zone" thing.
post #468 of 1775 Old 01-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
We watched this season in a marathon session this weekend. I can't believe how fast it went.
post #469 of 1775 Old 01-23-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Late to the party on this as I waited to watch until all episodes were on the DVR .. have viewed the first 5 now ..

Great to see Morena back on TV .. she's lost a little weight since V .. I always suspected the V folks made her look a bit more matronly ..

Great show, glad it's renewed ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #470 of 1775 Old 03-26-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I just watched season 1 on demand and wow what a fantastic show.

One complaint..the opening theme music...not a fan of it.
post #471 of 1775 Old 03-26-2012, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Found the show entertaining, but the (season) ending felt too much like a typical "Outer Limits/Twilight Zone" thing.

Me and the Mrs. found the show very good at times but we both thought the last episode was a complete copout. The bomb misfire was just too Hollywood contrivance for us. This series felt to me like it was meant to be a one season show but at the last minute they decided to milk another season out of it. It would have been much better if the VP, Brody or both died. We probably won't watch season 2.
post #472 of 1775 Old 03-26-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post

Me and the Mrs. found the show very good at times but we both thought the last episode was a complete copout. The bomb misfire was just too Hollywood contrivance for us. This series felt to me like it was meant to be a one season show but at the last minute they decided to milk another season out of it. It would have been much better if the VP, Brody or both died. We probably won't watch season 2.

I tend to agree with that .. I will say Brody did a great job in that bunker piece ..

And I'm personally glad for another season .. if nothing else it keeps Morena working ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #473 of 1775 Old 06-17-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 490
I had been on hiatus from Showtime when they first ran Homeland but caught up this weekend, thanks to the marathon. I'm glad I did. I found this thread before I finished watching all the episodes so was concerned by a couple of the comments about the season finale. As it turned out I mostly loved it. I thought the failure of the vest to explode the first time because of a fault in its circuitry, followed by Brody's daughter convincing Brody to come home was intense. The only weakness I saw was that a green ready light started glowing when Brody first completed setting up the jacket. How could that be when we saw a break in the wiring later on? Oh, well, this is television.

I was also disappointed by the revelation that the bombing of the madrassa, which caused the death of Abu Nazir's son, was real. I had assumed that like so many of the other mind games Nazir played, it was really an elaborate hoax and the kid wasn't Nazir's son at all. The way it played out setup so much "moral equivalency," it bothered me. Nazir was a a brutal torturer and terrorist and setting up a situation that in any way justified his actions weakened the story I thought. No matter, I loved season 1 and look forward to season 2. Claire Danes, Damien Lewis, Morena Baccarin, and Mandy Patinkin were all nothing short of sensational. That of course is a tribute to the quality of the writing of the show. If anything like the quality of Season 1 is produced in Season 2, we are in for a treat.
post #474 of 1775 Old 07-08-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Just watched entire season one in a marathon. Fantastic!!! Danes and Patinkin gave stellar performances.

As to Carrie's revelation as she was going under the anesthetic that Brody yelled out "Issa" in his sleep, I believe that this provided a great cliffhanger, but I also believe that she will never remember it now that she's undergone the shock therapy. I believe the point was to frustrate the audience - to make us say out loud "hey stop! she just made the final link/connection ... don't do this ... call Saul!"

So, as much as we want her to remember it, that little bit of information has played its purpose in this fictional series. The writers will come up with new stuff for next season rather than circling back to this one thing.

As for who the mole is, I haven't thought about every single scenario, but it's possible that there is no mole ... just Brody getting bits and slips from Carrie because she's saying things she's not supposed to to him.
post #475 of 1775 Old 07-10-2012, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
They just started filming season 2 here in Charlotte.
post #476 of 1775 Old 08-17-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 89
beautifully haunting official trailer for Season 2...love the music...
post #477 of 1775 Old 08-17-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

outside of not showing enough of the most beautiful woman in the world, its a good preview...

post #478 of 1775 Old 08-17-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 490
I missed the first run of Homeland but caught it when Showtime did a marathon. The plot of Season 1 was so complex and well written, I then went back and watched every episode a second time. The Homeland Season 2 trailer really whetted my appetite for the show to come back. Bring it on:)
post #479 of 1775 Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I missed the first run of Homeland but caught it when Showtime did a marathon. The plot of Season 1 was so complex and well written, I then went back and watched every episode a second time. The Homeland Season 2 trailer really whetted my appetite for the show to come back. Bring it on:)

Agreed, I usually go back and watch a season before the next one starts. Especially with shows like this where I have a feeling they will be bringing back themes from season 1......I still promote this show when I can as I think its one of the best on TV right now...
post #480 of 1775 Old 09-14-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 305
I catched up with Homeland with the release of season 1 on Blu-ray/dvd. This is simply an amazing show with such a powerful cast. Claire Danes, Damian Lewis and Mandy Patinkin, a pure delight to watch them... Certainly one of the best, I can't wait for the next season... Too bad the 25 minutes sneak peek isn't viewable outside of the U.S.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Homeland The Complete First Season , Homeland The Complete Second Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Homeland by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page