Homeland on SHO - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 1940 Old 10-29-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 83
It seems like it's not really focused on terrorism anymore. More focused on the drama of peoples lives. Carrie's psychotic story a long with Dana's teenage drama. Then again, Carrie in the hospital for 2 episodes was a idea to get a terror suspect's attention. The whole story of Leo and his background as well. Can't forget about Saul and his wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1940 Old 10-29-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Carrie is not a field op but she's sure getting a lot of field work. Of course that's Hollywood for you.

Maybe they should have made her a badass femme Nikita type of agent.
post #1443 of 1940 Old 10-29-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 91
according to the showrunner only the last 5 episodes of the season will be as fast paced and action packed as last season...apparently the season has been divided up into 4 episode chunks...the first 4 episode block ended with Carrie and Saul's true plan revealed...we are in the beginning of the middle chunk which is supposed to be not as slow but still not amazing...will have to wait a few more weeks for the story to really take off...the last few episodes are also the ones filmed in Morocco I believe
post #1444 of 1940 Old 10-29-2013, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 45
post #1445 of 1940 Old 10-30-2013, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Has anyone seen the 'Homelamb' Sesame Street parody? It's pretty funny (and accurate) smile.gif
post #1446 of 1940 Old 10-30-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I like the risk of showing less Brody this season but not this little (no Brody for 4 of 5 episodes thus far)...plus if you're going to show less Brody you have to make sure that the other A plots make up for it (which so far this season they haven't)

It's a different show now. I loved the premise of the show originally. You have a war hero returning POW, Mr. Clean Marine, who turns out to have become a devout Muslim and a terrorist. Cool as hell.

The problem was they sort of painted themselves into a corner when they had everyone believe he blew up the CIA HQ. If the show were to follow him, then it really becomes just a modern day The Fugitive, only the whole US intelligence community is after him, and they have the tools and bounty to find him.

If the show is really about Carrie drama, then that's OK, but it's a different show.

I did thoroughly enjoy Saul's FU toast to the new appointee for CIA Director. It was intelligent and biting and darkly witty. Like Saul. I loves me some Saul. He's a great character, and Mandy Patinkin is perfect for that role, although I think he can do just about anything. The guy is brilliant and enormously talented.
kittycarole likes this.
post #1447 of 1940 Old 10-30-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

I did thoroughly enjoy Saul's FU toast to the new appointee for CIA Director. It was intelligent and biting and darkly witty. Like Saul. I loves me some Saul. He's a great character, and Mandy Patinkin is perfect for that role, although I think he can do just about anything. The guy is brilliant and enormously talented.

+1! The best point Saul made was to wonder aloud how a guy who had been savaging the CIA for most of his political career could expect to lead the folks who he had long disrespected. Good question. smile.gif The senator-soon to be CIA director seems to be almost a mirror image of the evil vice president Brody dispatched. Whereas the VP was a ruthless right wing ideologue willing to perpetrate any act, no matter the consequences, if it furthered his view of defending the nation, the senator is equally ruthless and ideological but is a left winger, unwilling to allow the clandestine services to do their clandestine thing, no matter the potential cost to the nation's safety. Fascinating stuff!
acebreathe likes this.
post #1448 of 1940 Old 10-30-2013, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

Has anyone seen the 'Homelamb' Sesame Street parody? It's pretty funny (and accurate) smile.gif

They showed some on Way Too Early this morning on MSNBC. Miss Piggy plays a fine Carrie Matheson! smile.gif
post #1449 of 1940 Old 10-30-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

The problem was they sort of painted themselves into a corner when they had everyone believe he blew up the CIA HQ. If the show were to follow him, then it really becomes just a modern day The Fugitive, only the whole US intelligence community is after him, and they have the tools and bounty to find him

I don't think they necessarily painted themselves into a corner...mainly because it's not 100% certain whether he was involved or not...the show purposely left it ambiguous...if the show really wants to go for it I say make it so that Brody was involved...we never saw what took place between Nazir and Brody at the warehouse...I think they planned the bombing together

anyone see the movie Arlington Road?...if you like Homeland go watch that movie...it had an incredibly satisfying and risky ending...I want to see Homeland copy the ending of that movie
post #1450 of 1940 Old 10-30-2013, 03:18 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

It's better than Season 3 so far!
post #1451 of 1940 Old 10-30-2013, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

LOL. Wonder if she has a no nudity contract.

Leftcoastdave,
That's some review. Angry! tongue.gif

Oops. Not angry, just Dave sarcasm with feeble attempts at humor.

In a former life I was employed by a US intelligence agency and I know a bit about security and covert intelligence. The program started out with great possibilities but lately has slipped off the rails by introducing some story arcs that are just not credible and others that are just not relevant to what I think is the primary storyline of this series.

That said, I enjoy these kind of programs for their character development and am willing to suspend my disbelief if it is good story telling. Cases in point: The Peter Quinn character is full of surprises. He has to be a fan favorite and we need to see more of him. C Danes portrayal of Carrie is off the charts outstanding - keep up the good work. Damian Lewis is an incredible actor in every thing he does. Why has he appeared in only 1 of 5 eps this year? Duh, he is the main character, no? The disenfranchised Brody family just needs to quietly move to the back of the bus. Mandy P as Saul? More, more, more.

I like this program and want it to get better. They need to step up their game if they wish to be as good as "The Americans" or the over the top "Strike Back".

Full disclosure, I was a huge fan of "Breaking Bad", "The Shield", and even way back, "Mission Impossible" for the reasons stated above.

Party on..

Dave
kittycarole likes this.
post #1452 of 1940 Old 10-30-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftcoastdave View Post

I like this program and want it to get better. They need to step up their game if they wish to be as good as "The Americans" ..
the americans? really? i gave this show a try and after 3 episodes i deleted the rest. i found myself rather bored. no where near the immediate captivation as homeland. my opinion, anyway.
Quote:

Full disclosure, I was a huge fan of "Breaking Bad", "The Shield", and even way back, "Mission Impossible" for the reasons stated above.
couldn't agree with you more here though. wink.gif
post #1453 of 1940 Old 10-30-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycarole View Post

the americans? really? i gave this show a try and after 3 episodes i deleted the rest. i found myself rather bored. no where near the immediate captivation as homeland.

I had The Americans stacked on the DVR, space was getting a little low and I posted on the thread a comment about deleting it to free up some room .. several folks urged me to watch it, so I did .. and got sucked in completely .. eek.gif .. it was a 2 day complete series watch, don't know if weekly viewing would have had the same effect ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1454 of 1940 Old 10-30-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:

the americans? really? i gave this show a try and after 3 episodes i deleted the rest. i found myself rather bored. no where near the immediate captivation as homeland. my opinion, anyway.

'The Americans' is my favorite show on TV right now, since 'Breaking Bad' has wrapped. Well, it's not on right now, but you get the gist. I would say you didn't give it enough time, but it had me from the get-go. Who knew sweet little Felicity could be so frakkin' badass awesome? And it's brilliantly written and plotted, IMO.

Maybe I just miss the old Soviet evil-empire. Now that was an enemy worthy of respect, and who played by the more-or-less well defined rules of grown-up espionage. Not like these current guys who aren't nearly as smart and capable as they're portrayed on this show.
post #1455 of 1940 Old 10-30-2013, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

That said, I enjoy these kind of programs for their character development and am willing to suspend my disbelief if it is good story telling. Cases in point: The Peter Quinn character is full of surprises. He has to be a fan favorite and we need to see more of him. C Danes portrayal of Carrie is off the charts outstanding - keep up the good work. Damian Lewis is an incredible actor in every thing he does. Why has he appeared in only 1 of 5 eps this year? Duh, he is the main character, no? The disenfranchised Brody family just needs to quietly move to the back of the bus. Mandy P as Saul? More, more, more.

Concur the Brody family should move to the back of the bus - and then the bus should depart for someplace like western Canada where they can heal far from the pressures of metropolitan DC and the eyes of viewers like me. Let's see more of Carrie, Saul and Quinn. And let's see them in a more independent storyline from Brody - perhaps a structure similar to the "villain per season" concept from Dexter.

As for Brody himself, I don't see how he can ever be redeemed after killing his Marine partner and the VP. And I surely do not want to see a plot contrivance where he returns as a fully committed terrorist and Carrie endures seemingly endless agony before she must kill him. It's time for Damian Lewis to be given an opportunity for a role on another show. Perhaps Carrie could receive a message from Caracas that Brody has vanished, and we viewers could be shown a short clip of him tromping through the woods somewhere. Then we could wonder if Brody ultimately found his way back to his family or, after a few years respite, if he and Dexter might reappear again on Showtime.
post #1456 of 1940 Old 10-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pienza View Post

Concur the Brody family should move to the back of the bus - and then the bus should depart for someplace like western Canada where they can heal far from the pressures of metropolitan DC and the eyes of viewers like me. Let's see more of Carrie, Saul and Quinn. And let's see them in a more independent storyline from Brody - perhaps a structure similar to the "villain per season" concept from Dexter.

As for Brody himself, I don't see how he can ever be redeemed after killing his Marine partner and the VP. And I surely do not want to see a plot contrivance where he returns as a fully committed terrorist and Carrie endures seemingly endless agony before she must kill him. It's time for Damian Lewis to be given an opportunity for a role on another show. Perhaps Carrie could receive a message from Caracas that Brody has vanished, and we viewers could be shown a short clip of him tromping through the woods somewhere. Then we could wonder if Brody ultimately found his way back to his family or, after a few years respite, if he and Dexter might reappear again on Showtime.

Totally agree. They need to move on. Good shows like Boardwalk Empire, and the Walking Dead have eliminated lead characters year after year. Shows that constantly stay on the same theme become a Gilligans Island and will fade fast.
post #1457 of 1940 Old 10-30-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Well the ratings are up this year with very little Brody.

So maybe the Showtime execs will agree to kill him off or at least disappear him from the show for awhile.
post #1458 of 1940 Old 10-30-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Well the ratings are up this year with very little Brody.

So maybe the Showtime execs will agree to kill him off or at least disappear him from the show for awhile.

I could be on board with that, as long as they let him stay dead. Please, please just no Zombie Brody. I f'ing HATE zombies and everything connected with zombies. They are the stupidest and least scary monsters ever conceived and one of the worst pop culture trends ever. The trend of zombie this and zombie that cannot end soon enough. Damn George Romero for introducing them to Hollywood. Damn him to hell. As a zombie.

EDIT: Did I mention I hate zombies?
post #1459 of 1940 Old 10-30-2013, 11:46 PM

leftcoastdave, mgkdragn and archiguy, you fellas now have me wondering if i was perhaps too hasty in my decision to ditch the americans. but for pete's sake, i gave it 3 episodes to grab me and after that i was just meh about it. space is at a premium on my dvr so i just couldn't justify keeping a series in which i found no real interest. maybe when their season 2 starts i will try it again because to further compound my feeling of perhaps pulling the plug too quickly, i found out tonight my sister watches the americans and loves it. rolleyes.gif
post #1460 of 1940 Old 10-31-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

leftcoastdave, mgkdragn and archiguy, you fellas now have me wondering if i was perhaps too hasty in my decision to ditch the americans. but for pete's sake, i gave it 3 episodes to grab me and after that i was just meh about it. space is at a premium on my dvr so i just couldn't justify keeping a series in which i found no real interest. maybe when their season 2 starts i will try it again because to further compound my feeling of perhaps pulling the plug too quickly, i found out tonight my sister watches the americans and loves it. rolleyes.gif

To continue this somewhat off topic but very interesting discussion, I will add my vote favoring The Americans. I loved Season 1 and am looking forward to the start of Season 2 in January. Watching the Jennings trying to maintain the fiction that they were Americans, particularly to their very American children, while simultaneously spying for the USSR was fascinating, sort of like watching a train wreck. smile.gif
kittycarole likes this.
post #1461 of 1940 Old 10-31-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

To continue this somewhat off topic but very interesting discussion, I will add my vote favoring The Americans. I loved Season 1 and am looking forward to the start of Season 2 in January. Watching the Jennings trying to maintain the fiction that they were Americans, particularly to their very American children, while simultaneously spying for the USSR was fascinating, sort of like watching a train wreck. smile.gif
I'll add to the OT talk...
I feel "The Americans" is a pressure cooker/balancing act situation that's bound to blow up sooner or later- and that will be something to watch! They've (the lead characters) almost been caught a few times- and made narrow escapes, but you can't be lucky 100% of the time eek.gif

Back to Homeland....
I literally cringe when the story turns to Dana, from what we saw in the last episode it looks like she's on the brink of another suicide attempt. Let's all hope she succeeds this time!
If not- she and Mrs. Brody could always go on "I'm hotter than my teenage daughter" biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #1462 of 1940 Old 10-31-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

Totally agree. They need to move on. Good shows like Boardwalk Empire, and the Walking Dead have eliminated lead characters year after year. Shows that constantly stay on the same theme become a Gilligans Island and will fade fast.

Look what happened to the X-Files. It's when they tried to focus on something else than Scully and Mulder that the show went downhill. In movies, we have The Bourne Legacy, which wasn't exactly a resounding success. I think it all comes down the writing and staying true to the show's essence. The essence of Homeland is Carrie and Brody and their respective struggles with their demons. Homeland is not just about "fighting terrorism". I would even say that the title, Homeland, has deeper sense than just "homeland security". Where is home? Who is home? The complicated relationships between the characters are as important as the "spying stuff". Which is why, and of course I don't want it to become a lame soap opera either, I'm fine with the various storylines.
post #1463 of 1940 Old 10-31-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

If not- she and Mrs. Brody could always go on "I'm hotter than my teenage daughter" biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

No doubt. I would watch Morena Baccarin read the phone book. She's gorgeous.

Apart from being able to gawk at her, I would watch for Claire Danes', Mandy Patinkin's, and Damian Lewis' performances alone, whether the story gets stupid or not.
post #1464 of 1940 Old 10-31-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Back to Homeland....
I literally cringe when the story turns to Dana, from what we saw in the last episode it looks like she's on the brink of another suicide attempt. Let's all hope she succeeds this time!

it's even more frustrating because they brought up a potentially interesting plot thread a few episodes back when Dana started praying on the mat that Brody used for his Muslim prayers...then they just dropped that in favor of this boyfriend drama

most of the performances on this show are excellent (yes even Morgan Saylor as Dana seems like a good actress) but Damian Lewis is overrated...I loved him in Band of Brothers but in this his facial reactions are almost like a robot...he displays zero range and always has this constipated look on his face...Claire Danes deserves all of her awards but Lewis stole his Emmy from Bryan Cranston a few years back
post #1465 of 1940 Old 10-31-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

most of the performances on this show are excellent (yes even Morgan Saylor as Dana seems like a good actress) but Damian Lewis is overrated...I loved him in Band of Brothers but in this his facial reactions are almost like a robot...he displays zero range and always has this constipated look on his face...

Interrogation scene? Season 2? ring a bell? wink.gif
post #1466 of 1940 Old 10-31-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Interrogation scene? Season 2? ring a bell? wink.gif

Bingo! The actor has chops he hasn't even used yet. He's the other half of the show. More of Brody.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #1467 of 1940 Old 10-31-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Look what happened to the X-Files. It's when they tried to focus on something else than Scully and Mulder that the show went downhill. In movies, we have The Bourne Legacy, which wasn't exactly a resounding success. I think it all comes down the writing and staying true to the show's essence. The essence of Homeland is Carrie and Brody and their respective struggles with their demons. Homeland is not just about "fighting terrorism". I would even say that the title, Homeland, has deeper sense than just "homeland security". Where is home? Who is home? The complicated relationships between the characters are as important as the "spying stuff". Which is why, and of course I don't want it to become a lame soap opera either, I'm fine with the various storylines.

I think the show's focusing on Carrie early in the season has been just fine, although I will enjoy the return of Brody. As I recall it, the show runners originally planned to kill off Brody at the end of Season 1 but changed their minds when Damian Lewis made the Brody character so compelling.

Unlike quite a few I really enjoyed The Bourne Legacy and thought it was in a class with the rest of the franchise. Jeremy Renner and Rachel Weisz were terrific. I liked the techno-chemical aspect of the story. I hope that Renner and Weisz get to reprise their roles in another Bourne film.
post #1468 of 1940 Old 10-31-2013, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Damian Lewis was of course terrific as Captain Winters in Band of Brothers. Need to see more of him this year on Homeland. He was also great in the very under-rated Life, well worth your time.
Try The Americans again at episode 4, it got better and better, I thought.
Since Breaking Bad finished, everything is kind of a let-down. Ray Donovan was very good, and currently I enjoy Kurt Sutter's Sons of Anarchy, and of course Nucky... [More Capone!]
Zombies??? I'm still watching, but the effects are better than the stories since Kirkman ran Frank Darabont and Shane off... The first episode and last 2 of season one we're off the charts....
post #1469 of 1940 Old 10-31-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

thanks, should i reconsider i will start there.

and on topic, i think damian lewis is portraying brody better than most actors could -- but yeah, it stung a bit when he won the emmy over bryan cranston a couple of years ago.
post #1470 of 1940 Old 10-31-2013, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

Damian Lewis was of course terrific as Captain Winters in Band of Brothers. Need to see more of him this year on Homeland. He was also great in the very under-rated Life, well worth your time.
Since Breaking Bad finished, everything is kind of a let-down. Ray Donovan was very good, and currently I enjoy Kurt Sutter's Sons of Anarchy, and of course Nucky... [More Capone!]
Zombies??? I'm still watching, but the effects are better than the stories since Kirkman ran Frank Darabont and Shane off... The first episode and last 2 of season one we're off the charts....

Agree with Life. An amazing show.

Links: My System Diagram / System Pix
Yamaha RX-A2010, Samsung UN55B8000, AppleTV, Roku3, Yamaha CDC-685, Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch: (2) RF-83's, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54's, (2) RSX-5's
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
See links above for additional system details.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Homeland The Complete First Season , Homeland The Complete Second Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Homeland by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page