post #1921 of 1944 Old 11-18-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
While I found the episode very compelling, it takes some serious suspension of disbelief that such an important prisoner as Saul would be able to escape that easily? Just one guard, really?

And more than that: the rescue mission was just 3 special forces guys in a van? Really? The USA already knew that he was a prisoner in the tribal areas of Afghanistan, they would have units on high alert and ready to respond. Given he was the director of the CIA I'm pretty sure we would have had a large force there by morning. Even if it was risky.

The Afgan pull out had already happened so there were no major troop groups there. They also were trying to be "covert" as to not alert isi or the other forces. They wouldn't send a large amount of troops regardless. All of this happened overnight and they didn't expect him to escape so it was "last minute" operation so they took what they had which were SF that were not close. While I do agree about the prisoner I think they knew even if he did escape he wouldn't get far. They had the whole area under control and were able to lock it down quickly.

Sent from an system/360
JohnDG likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 1944 Old 11-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
The Afgan pull out had already happened so there were no major troop groups there. They also were trying to be "covert" as to not alert isi or the other forces. They wouldn't send a large amount of troops regardless. All of this happened overnight and they didn't expect him to escape so it was "last minute" operation so they took what they had which were SF that were not close. While I do agree about the prisoner I think they knew even if he did escape he wouldn't get far. They had the whole area under control and were able to lock it down quickly.

Sent from an system/360
By large force I meant a platoon to company of special forces sent in by heli at night. Or perhaps a high altitude drop. We still have about 10,000 troops in Afghanistan at present, and I assume access to some airbases. I find it pretty hard to believe that we wouldn't have a team ready to go, given a few days notice that the former director of the CIA was kidnapped and in the area.
post #1923 of 1944 Old 11-18-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
By large force I meant a platoon to company of special forces sent in by heli at night. Or perhaps a high altitude drop. We still have about 10,000 troops in Afghanistan at present, and I assume access to some airbases. I find it pretty hard to believe that we wouldn't have a team ready to go, given a few days notice that the former director of the CIA was kidnapped and in the area.

They were trying to be covert with this operation. Sending in a platoon wouldn't work this was a "covert" rescue mission trying to fly under the radar. They wouldn't have needed a platoon if everything went as planned this is a TV show though, so thinking too hard about it will always bring out the flaws.

Sent from an system/360
post #1924 of 1944 Old 11-18-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I don't buy that Saul would kill himself just to prevent the release of those prisoners.

I thought his life was good after leaving the CIA, working for the contractor. Lot of money, happy wife, though was it her who didn't want to be in New York?

Certainly better than when she was living away from him.

US could always take out the released prisoners and Haqqani later.

BTW, has the US ever released prisoners to the Taliban? That's another implausibility, though who knows, Carrie may have a trick up her sleeve because the previews make it look like it will be anything but a routine exchange of hostages.
post #1925 of 1944 Old 11-18-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Do you think maybe Saul was pissed with Carrie at the end?

As a side note, did anyone see the interview with Mandy Patinkin on 60 Minutes on Sunday? I now know the role model that Carrie uses when she goes into full-on manic mode. In real life, Mandy acts like he could use a few of Carries meds himself (the real ones, of course). I still like Mandy as an actor though.
FOPA likes this.
post #1926 of 1944 Old 11-18-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Couldn't figure why they sent Saul into the village--even with the 'asset' store keeper. They'd pinpointed him by his phone, so even in rough terrain a chopper pickup would have been possible. Maybe they were eager to show us 'flagging' of each Taliban on the monitors. BTW, haven't viewed CIA computer graphics lately, but that technique seems similar to some of the earliest computer games--automatically tracking clusters of pixels on screen. -- John
post #1927 of 1944 Old 11-18-2014, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I don't buy that Saul would kill himself just to prevent the release of those prisoners.

I thought his life was good after leaving the CIA, working for the contractor. Lot of money, happy wife, though was it her who didn't want to be in New York?

Certainly better than when she was living away from him.

US could always take out the released prisoners and Haqqani later.

BTW, has the US ever released prisoners to the Taliban? That's another implausibility, though who knows, Carrie may have a trick up her sleeve because the previews make it look like it will be anything but a routine exchange of hostages.
Just this year the United States exchanged Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl for FIVE Guantanamo Bay Prisoners.

http://rt.com/news/162808-us-soldier...namo-exchange/
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/us...y-taliban.html
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...er-five-years/
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/01/us/ber...amo-detainees/

I will stay away from any commentary on this, but how implausible do you think that is now??

Last edited by mnetop; 11-18-2014 at 12:56 PM.
post #1928 of 1944 Old 11-18-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
Couldn't figure why they sent Saul into the village--even with the 'asset' store keeper. They'd pinpointed him by his phone, so even in rough terrain a chopper pickup would have been possible. Maybe they were eager to show us 'flagging' of each Taliban on the monitors. BTW, haven't viewed CIA computer graphics lately, but that technique seems similar to some of the earliest computer games--automatically tracking clusters of pixels on screen. -- John
Yes, it reminded me of the SR-71 Blackbird Kill Streak reward perk in Call of Duty Block Ops.

XBL: mmjp08 PSN: mikeny1
post #1929 of 1944 Old 11-18-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
It's off to Guantanamo for him!
No, he (ambassador's husband) could be a useful asset supplied with misinformation whether knowingly or not.
JohnDG likes this.
post #1930 of 1944 Old 11-18-2014, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Want to talk implausibility?

How on earth is an ex director of the CIA in a foreign airport without a body guard in the first place?

I'm done trying to find those kinds of "faults" with this show and just enjoying the implausible ride.......a la.....007!!
mnetop and Ph8te like this.
post #1931 of 1944 Old 11-19-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
... What got me was, Saul, ex-director of the United States CIA, escapes captivity, & then has to walk "20 miles" all night thru desolate terrain to a village, & yet when he gets there there was no ability or time to have any armed drones, fighter jets, aircraft, paratroopers, ect in the area?? They could have made sure no vehicles got in or out of that remote village until Saul was safe simply with air power ... ....
post #1932 of 1944 Old 11-19-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
... What got me was, Saul, ex-director of the United States CIA, escapes captivity, & then has to walk "20 miles" all night thru desolate terrain to a village, & yet when he gets there there was no ability or time to have any armed drones, fighter jets, aircraft, paratroopers, ect in the area?? They could have made sure no vehicles got in or out of that remote village until Saul was safe simply with air power ... ....

They couldn't have a large scale military action without permission. They had an armed drone, but Carrie didn't use it since there was too much likely hood of killing civilians. I am just thinking "show logic" however. So the why they didn't have a larger force was explained quickly.

Sent from an system/360
post #1933 of 1944 Old 11-19-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
The asset in the town didn't provide that much. A different phone and a gun so Saul could threaten to off himself, which makes no sense, since his home life had improved, IIRC. And the guy explained why he was helping the US but otherwise, there was little advantage in going there.

Did he give Saul water and food?

Would have been better off staying somewhere where ground vehicles couldn't reach. Take a helicopter and pick him up. Now if it was the Taliban after him, is he suppose to be in Afghanistan? They abducted him in a trunk across the border where there was a checkpoint. So US should have all kinds of military assets in the Afghani side of the border.
post #1934 of 1944 Old 11-20-2014, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Would have been better off staying somewhere where ground vehicles couldn't reach. Take a helicopter and pick him up. Now if it was the Taliban after him, is he suppose to be in Afghanistan? They abducted him in a trunk across the border where there was a checkpoint. So US should have all kinds of military assets in the Afghani side of the border.
Not anymore: "...As part of that plan, U.S. Marines and British forces on Monday ended their combat mission and vacated two of their largest bases in Afghanistan -- Camp Bastion and Camp Leatherneck -- in the Helmand province, the site of some of the most violent battles of the 13-year-long war. ..."
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article..._opium_heroine
post #1935 of 1944 Old 11-20-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I think there was a blooper involving the live feed from Afghanistan into the situation room at the beginning of the episode. The camera angles kept changing, one dead on, shot from the camera right in front of the flag, and another angle behind and to the left of the camera. You could actually see the video camera on the tripod from that second angle. I think this was a "show" angle that accidentally got edited in somehow. Seems like a pretty glaring slip up, if you ask me. Don't know how they missed that.

EDIT: Happy 1,000th post to me.

post #1936 of 1944 Old 11-23-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 882
post #1937 of 1944 Old 11-24-2014, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Very nice ending to ratchet things up. While I knew what would happen at the end of Sauls exchange, it was still semi tense.

Sent from an system/360
post #1938 of 1944 Old 11-24-2014, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 82
The way things are going, I expect Jack Bauer to be in the thick of things very soon
post #1939 of 1944 Old 11-24-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Looks like there are key characters appearing in the preview. But the vehicle explosions look terminal for most of the occupants. It's going to take an amazing plot twist to resolve this. Oh yes, and now they've got sassy Taliban invading the embassy. -- John
post #1940 of 1944 Old 11-24-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Holy ****!!!

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #1941 of 1944 Old 11-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 40
And now we suffer through not having an episode airing this coming Sunday due to the holiday weekend.
baja7475 likes this.
post #1942 of 1944 Old 11-24-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I know that TV can take liberties but still think sending all of the Marine guards to the fire zone was beyond the Pale. Maybe in Canada, but not in Pakistan.
JoeTiVo and lflorack like this.
post #1943 of 1944 Old Today, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I know that TV can take liberties but still think sending all of the Marine guards to the fire zone was beyond the Pale. Maybe in Canada, but not in Pakistan.
I have a theory as to why it works and it has to do with who made the order to send the marines.
post #1944 of 1944 Old Today, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
______

Feel so weird that I haven't kept up with the season. Kinda busy right now, not able to chat as much.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Homeland The Complete First Season , Homeland The Complete Second Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Homeland by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page