Forum Jump: 
 264Likes

post #2461 of 2484 Old 02-13-2017, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I really can't stand this season I have to say. Another episode that did little for me except to basically annoy me, until maybe the last 30 seconds.

I was such a big fan of this show for years, and now it has degenerated in this Carrie-legal-eagle, Quinn-paranoia-recovery, "oooh look how bad the CIA is" mess. What a shame.
gwsat, lexluthor, jsgrise and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2484 Old 02-13-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 2438
I am running out of patience with the show too. This year the writers seem to be portraying all the bad guys as being from the CIA, FBI, DOJ, or Israeli Intelligence. I'll stick with the show for a while longer but I really don't like the direction it's taken.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
post #2463 of 2484 Old 02-13-2017, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 860
I haven't watched the new season yet (have them saved on my DVR)...the previews of the new season have looked boring so I was expecting a down year...maybe binge watching 4-5 episodes will make the season more enjoyable vs week-to-week

post #2464 of 2484 Old 02-13-2017, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Well this season was filmed long before the election's outcome....
AaronY likes this.
post #2465 of 2484 Old 02-13-2017, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The Quinn storyline is the new Dana Brody storyline.
post #2466 of 2484 Old 02-13-2017, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Are there new writers or a new showrunner this year? What happened here???
post #2467 of 2484 Old 02-13-2017, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I am a big Rupert Friend fan but agree that his character, Peter Quinn, has passed his sell by date. This being TV, though, I suspect that Quinn will be magically restored to glowing health and will soon by back at what he does best, kicking a** and taking names.
If that happens I will jump out my basement window....
post #2468 of 2484 Old 02-13-2017, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Well the real life POTUS and the fictional POTUS both distrust the intelligence agencies.

And the feeling appears to be mutual.

What Homeland missed is that Russia looms large in this administration, not Iran.
AaronY likes this.
post #2469 of 2484 Old 02-14-2017, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Goody. Looks like the fictional explosion missed my home. News this morning (Flynn's departure) was delivered as: don't mess with D.C. intelligence and other agencies. There's an implication some of Carrie's new enemies may be retaliating on her actions, and pushing the Iran hysteria, by going after the young man she was helping as he drove his delivery truck. -- John

New York Times recap.

Last edited by John Mason; 02-14-2017 at 12:15 PM. Reason: add=on
post #2470 of 2484 Old 02-14-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
Goody. Looks like the fictional explosion missed my home. News this morning (Flynn's departure) was delivered as: don't mess with D.C. intelligence and other agencies. There's an implication some of Carrie's new enemies may be retaliating on her actions, and pushing the Iran hysteria, by going after the young man she was helping as he drove his delivery truck. -- John
It sure felt to me like it was his "buddies" that worked for the import company he worked for.

Its not saying much, but ep4 was the best of the season so far.
post #2471 of 2484 Old 02-14-2017, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I feel like the writers have a tooth against the Law Enforcement/Intelligence agencies. It looks too biased to me...

Disappointed so far...
Don S likes this.

Dedicated HT | DUAL 18" Dayton RSS460HO Custom Build | Sonus Faber Venere 1.5s | Sonus Faber Venere Centre | Sonus Faber Venere Walls | Marantz SR-7010 | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 | JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 | Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)

Last edited by jsgrise; 02-14-2017 at 01:41 PM.
post #2472 of 2484 Old 02-14-2017, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post
I feel like the writers have a teeth against the Law Enforcement/Intelligence agencies. It looks too biased to me...

Disappointed so far...
For sure. And I agree, this year is tough to watch. I am a big fan of the series, but this year is really putting a dent in my appreciation for it overall. So far, anyway...
post #2473 of 2484 Old 02-14-2017, 03:00 PM

After thinking about this season a bit more and catching up with the last couple of days' news, I am a little more sanguine about the season than I was. On one hand, intelligence professionals abusing their power to embarrass a new administration is reprehensible but, on the other, the reason administrations and their officials get embarrassed is usually because something wrong they did has been exposed. First we had Wikileaks and Hillary Clinton's email server, and just this week we had the new National Security Advisor being exposed for having told the Russian ambassador not to worry about the sanctions. Whose to say what is more blameworthy, illegally divulging sensitive information, or having done something bad enough it should be exposed? Don't ask me. All of that is far above my pay grade. Anyway, this season is making a bit more sense to me now.

Of course, the show takes matters to dramatic extremes. For example the actions of the thug who was following Quinn and later blew up the Muslim kid's van, apparently under the instruction of some evil government operator. I haven't seen anything in the news, which even approached that level of violence, thank God! Anyway, I guess I'm still onboard for a while.
AaronY likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
post #2474 of 2484 Old 02-15-2017, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
After thinking about this season a bit more and catching up with the last couple of days' news, I am a little more sanguine about the season than I was. On one hand, intelligence professionals abusing their power to embarrass a new administration is reprehensible but, on the other, the reason administrations and their officials get embarrassed is usually because something wrong they did has been exposed. First we had Wikileaks and Hillary Clinton's email server, and just this week we had the new National Security Advisor being exposed for having told the Russian ambassador not to worry about the sanctions. Whose to say what is more blameworthy, illegally divulging sensitive information, or having done something bad enough it should be exposed? Don't ask me. All of that is far above my pay grade. Anyway, this season is making a bit more sense to me now.

Of course, the show takes matters to dramatic extremes. For example the actions of the thug who was following Quinn and later blew up the Muslim kid's van, apparently under the instruction of some evil government operator. I haven't seen anything in the news, which even approached that level of violence, thank God! Anyway, I guess I'm still onboard for a while.
While I see your point, I don't equate how much I enjoy a show - this show - with how closely it may or may not mirror real life. The real question for me always boils down to: Is it enjoyable to watch?

For me, watching Carrie (our former troubled hero) play legal-eagle trying to save some dude who praises terrorists just doesn't make for an enjoyable hour of TV for me (not to mention that IMO it doesn't ring true to her character completely, but that is another matter). Throw in 5 weeks of annoying Quinn, and and the constant drum beat of "look how bad the people in the intelligence teams are" and it just hasn't made for an enjoyable season for me - whether it is true to life or not.

I'm all for multi-faceted portrayals of people and of agencies. I just don't enjoy the portrayal at all this year. I'm hoping the next few weeks will pick up, now that something finally happened this year...
mnetop and jsgrise like this.
post #2475 of 2484 Old 02-15-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post

For me, watching Carrie (our former troubled hero) play legal-eagle trying to save some dude who praises terrorists just doesn't make for an enjoyable hour of TV for me (not to mention that IMO it doesn't ring true to her character completely, but that is another matter).
Bullseye!

Dedicated HT | DUAL 18" Dayton RSS460HO Custom Build | Sonus Faber Venere 1.5s | Sonus Faber Venere Centre | Sonus Faber Venere Walls | Marantz SR-7010 | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 | JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 | Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
post #2476 of 2484 Old 02-15-2017, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
For me, watching Carrie (our former troubled hero) play legal-eagle trying to save some dude who praises terrorists just doesn't make for an enjoyable hour of TV for me (not to mention that IMO it doesn't ring true to her character completely, but that is another matter). Throw in 5 weeks of annoying Quinn, and and the constant drum beat of "look how bad the people in the intelligence teams are" and it just hasn't made for an enjoyable season for me - whether it is true to life or not.
I judge it more in the context of the entire series. Carrie's job appears to be a natural progression given her options and kid. Quinn brings the weight of Carrie's and others actions into play. I rather see time (and the characters) move on even if it isn't as exciting per se. I thought her "debate" with Sekou was well written and poignant.
Ph8te likes this.

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Philips BDP7501 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |
post #2477 of 2484 Old 02-16-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I judge it more in the context of the entire series. Carrie's job appears to be a natural progression given her options and kid. Quinn brings the weight of Carrie's and others actions into play. I rather see time (and the characters) move on even if it isn't as exciting per se. I thought her "debate" with Sekou was well written and poignant.
About Sekou, all I could think of, especially in the last episode, was to let that little weasel rot in Guantanamo Bay.

post #2478 of 2484 Old 02-16-2017, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
... Quinn brings the weight of Carrie's and others actions into play.....
Perhaps, but not in the way that I feel like it should. Quinn almost gets killed by terrorists, so the natural evolution of that is now Carrie defending people who praise those terrorists? It doesn't feel real for her character to me (and as I said, for me the greater issue is that it's not something I am interesting in watching, given how excellent previous seasons have been IMO).
shivaji and jsgrise like this.
post #2479 of 2484 Old 02-16-2017, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Quinn almost gets killed by terrorists, so the natural evolution of that is now Carrie defending people who praise those terrorists?
As she expressed in her "debate" with him she isn't defending all or perhaps any of his activities. It's not quite that simple. Just like Brody nothing is black or white... and as she also stated no one knows this better than her. She is "fighting" the after 9/11 attitude (and actions) of the government.

I might be fuzzy but can't you make a case Carrie almost killed Quinn and or left him in his current state? Didn't she have him woken up to obtain information against the doctor(s) warning. Again not so black or white...

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Philips BDP7501 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |

Last edited by Charles R; 02-16-2017 at 10:47 AM.
post #2480 of 2484 Old 02-16-2017, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I really can't stand this season I have to say. Another episode that did little for me except to basically annoy me, until maybe the last 30 seconds.

I was such a big fan of this show for years, and now it has degenerated in this Carrie-legal-eagle, Quinn-paranoia-recovery, "oooh look how bad the CIA is" mess. What a shame.
Totally agree. Politically correct BS is how it strikes me. Moving on.
post #2481 of 2484 Old 02-16-2017, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2005
It looks like this season is a good one judging from how feathers are getting ruffled around here.
archiguy, Garrett Adams and Ph8te like this.
post #2482 of 2484 Old 02-16-2017, 12:28 PM

I thought Sekou was a tragic figure. He was little more than an adolescent who was his own worst enemy but was also victimized and ultimately murdered. Do you want to talk about being "star crossed"? The writers did a good job of depicting him, it seemed to me. At the end of the day I think that most viewers would be horrified at his cold blooded murder but still have a hard time viewing him as a martyr. The kid was a murder victim waiting to happen.

post #2483 of 2484 Old 02-16-2017, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Didn't see the praising terrorist part.

So the guy doing surveillance across the street on Carrie goes and rigs the truck Sekou will be driving?

Who could he be but FBI or some part of the US intelligence community?

If he was a jihadist trying to frame Sekou and by extension Carrie, who got Sekou released by pressuring the FBI, he'd have no reason to carry out surveillance.

He told Quinn he'd call the cops if he found Quinn spying around his apt.
post #2484 of 2484 Old Today, 12:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 69
This is a terrific season. The nuances and great.

Alex Jones impersonator? The creepy lady sewing while the Jones like dude is ranting in the background? The way she blocked the view? The PEOTUS being held virtual prisoner by Dar and isolated from everything?

The guy across the street...not Arab. Alex Jones type ranting throughout the episode....Dar's conversation outside the school.......

Are you all putting it together.......??? Well are you? No Middle Eastern Terrorism this time

42" in the dining room.50" in the bedroom 80" in the living room 65" in the family room 70" in the family room 106" in the family room "There is another system" Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Homeland The Complete First Season , Homeland The Complete Second Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page