post #2581 of 2604 Old 04-12-2017, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
The terrorism tie in was the appeal of the show for me.

The tension of terrorist plots (well written and interesting ones) has been the draw for me since the series inception, along with the interesting characters. Without the actual terrorism (which this season mostly lacked), it's a lot less interesting for me.
For me it is been there done that... how many times can you repeat the same thing... then again I have never watched a single CSI or some such episode. That arc should have died with Brody. Even Peter's death was emotionally reduced to the President asking "What was his name?"

I'm not sure how much tension you can create when you know there are two seasons left. Of late the only real tension I felt was on the first season of True Detective knowing it was a one-off. Are they going to be killed or not... Heck even they wimped out.

Regarding Carrie's likability I think it's more her adventure (through life) then if you find her charming. During the finale when she was talking about Frannie I thought back to season one and the scene where she returned from "partying" all night. She is not the same person and her life (and opportunities) shouldn't be the same. To stay true to the character they should let her go... and reflect that growth which wouldn't put her in the same position (yet again).

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Roku Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2604 Old 04-12-2017, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Yes , there is that. I guess she is a character I love to hate.
Character is ridiculous, all over the place. Maybe that's why they made her bipolar so she can have these wide swings.

And the lower lip quivering parlour trick is well played out.

It's as bad as 24 now (with this conspiracy by American soldiers to kill an incoming president) but it's the most popular show on Showtime probably so as long as they air it I'll keep watching rather than turn on, turn off my subscription.
Don S likes this.
post #2583 of 2604 Old 04-13-2017, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
the brody-centric first season of homeland was one of my all-time favorite single seasons of television. Alas, it's been downhill ever since, so i don't see them being able to catch lightning in a bottle a second time...
+100
gwsat likes this.

Steve
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
My DVDs
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

post #2584 of 2604 Old 04-13-2017, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well they played out the Brody story too long, because the network liked the leads.

Then it becomes a love story after it's shown that Carrie couldn't connect to anyone and then discovers that Brody tried to assassinate the POTUS.

Again I have to wonder if the Israeli Prisoners of War went off the rails like that.
gwsat likes this.
post #2585 of 2604 Old 04-13-2017, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 426
They need to bring Dana Brody back!
Don S likes this.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #2586 of 2604 Old 04-15-2017, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well, what they COULD have done was make Keane the replacement for Brody; i.e. the (Manchurian Candidate) sleeper in the White House.
thehun likes this.

".....and remember, your mission, as always, is to.........kill Hitler!"
post #2587 of 2604 Old 04-17-2017, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
"Homeland" is one of the shows I let stack on the DVR and then watch in totality over a 2-3 day span .. finished this season last night .. I came away feeling it was a good season, not the best, but none the less, quite good .. for me, watching al la binge maintains a better feeling of episode to episode continuity and momentum ..

In the end, when Dar said something to the effect :: "The President just feels wrong" or some such, apparently, he was right .. it's a great setup for next season ..

I have no problem with the Producers turning the plot inward to the USA .. there is certainly enough "what if" material .. the disinformation set ups, the rogue Military and Governmental factions, all of it .. all seems plausible to me ..
raaj and Ph8te like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2588 of 2604 Old 04-17-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Plausibility was a huge problem for me.

All those soldiers willing to try to kill the president-elect, killing FBI agents, Secret Service agents and civilian bystanders in the process.

The rogue general didn't like the new commander in chief to-be and he gets enough special forces types to follow him on this plan?

How is it more plausible than many of the 24 plots which involved Americans trying to set off nukes or unleash bio weapons in the US?

It would be one thing if they depicted the general and Dar as subscribers to some very fringe ideology, which makes them willing to attack US institutions. They kind of hinted at it with the right-wing radio jock, railing about "deep state" and so on.

But how do people with such ideology infiltrate the top levels of the intelligence and Defense communities?

The US in this alternate reality is riddled with some kind of fanatic warriors in the intelligence community and the military, kind of like the jihadis which have infiltrated Pakistan's ISI.
gwsat likes this.
post #2589 of 2604 Old 04-17-2017, 08:36 AM

Myself, I see it as simply delving into "What If" scenarios .. fiction with some degree of plausibility in the Real World .. IOW, you really can't fully deny that it could not happen .. and for me, that's just good fiction ..
raaj and Ph8te like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2590 of 2604 Old 04-17-2017, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Sound Wave

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Stack this next to all the other Shows that have made it crystal clear they are Anti White, Anti President Trump and very close to Anti American.

This show will no longer be watched in my House! These people really have no clue about the People who Stand Watch to protect our Nation and Citizens every day, every night. Shame on them.
JoeTiVo and taxman48 like this.

Regards,
Adamg
post #2591 of 2604 Old 04-17-2017, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
Stack this next to all the other Shows that have made it crystal clear they are Anti White, Anti President Trump and very close to Anti American.

This show will no longer be watched in my House! These people really have no clue about the People who Stand Watch to protect our Nation and Citizens every day, every night. Shame on them.

This post is a joke, right?
JohnDG, raaj, Ph8te and 4 others like this.
post #2592 of 2604 Old 04-17-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post
This post is a joke, right?
If only.
Ph8te likes this.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #2593 of 2604 Old 04-17-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
They need to bring Dana Brody back!
If I had a bring-back wish, it would be for Jessica Brody .. because, any show, any time, anywhere, is enhanced substantially by Morena Baccarin ..

Don S, raaj, Ph8te and 1 others like this.

Uncle Willie

post #2594 of 2604 Old 04-17-2017, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
"Homeland" is one of the shows I let stack on the DVR and then watch in totality over a 2-3 day span ..
For me binging adds a good 30% to the enjoyability factor. Right now I'm watching the current season of Billions on a weekly basis and after x episodes I'm getting bored... far too many "stop lights" to maintain any rhythm. What importance any moment has is greatly reduced knowing it's weeks before it actually comes into play. Might just be me but perhaps the only show I enjoyed "stretched out" was The Good Wife. At times it was nice to have a week to process and at the same time it stood on its own very well.

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Roku Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |
post #2595 of 2604 Old 04-17-2017, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I pay for cable now rather than catch up via box sets or Netflix or Hulu so that I can kind of digest the episodes, get on threads like this one to discuss the episodes right after they air.
Don S and gwsat like this.
post #2596 of 2604 Old 04-17-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
For me binging adds a good 30% to the enjoyability factor. Right now I'm watching the current season of Billions on a weekly basis and after x episodes I'm getting bored... far too many "stop lights" to maintain any rhythm. What importance any moment has is greatly reduced knowing it's weeks before it actually comes into play. Might just be me but perhaps the only show I enjoyed "stretched out" was The Good Wife. At times it was nice to have a week to process and at the same time it stood on its own very well.
Some of my stack the show / binge, I know has to do with my being an oldster .. .. it's just easier to keep up with some shows, for me anyway, doing it that way .. I am watching "Billions" week to week, and I generally can't wait for the next episode ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I pay for cable now rather than catch up via box sets or Netflix or Hulu so that I can kind of digest the episodes, get on threads like this one to discuss the episodes right after they air.
Don't get me wrong, better than half my regular shows are watched week to week .. truth is, NF kind of spoiled me on having the ability to marathon watch, which then caused me to do some of the same with the DVR .. plus, there is just so much good TV these days that saving up a season of a show gives me time to sample other material and see if I like it ..

It's just great to have such a selection available ...
allargon likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #2597 of 2604 Old 04-20-2017, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 21
It seems like the writers were thinking that Hillary was going to win the election, and then they had to re-write the president as a female Donald Trump by the end of the season...
JoeTiVo likes this.
post #2598 of 2604 Old 04-20-2017, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 906
this was the weakest season of Homeland but I still found the show enjoyable primarily because of the main characters- Saul and Carrie...the show really needs to set an end date as it's becoming a bit stale in spite of the show continuing to be very topical with regards to current events...bringing Quinn back just to kill him off again was silly...I enjoyed what they were doing with Quinn earlier in the season when they showed his struggles acclimating to his new condition but then he went back to becoming super spy Quinn and all believability went out the window...I was never a huge fan of the character as I always felt that Carrie and Saul's relationship was the star of the show

I also thought the actress playing the female President was awful...didn't have the gravitas or range to pull off the role...hopefully they don't bring her back next season even though the finale seemed to imply that her story would continue...also seemed like they were going back and forth with Dar Adal and didn't know whether to make him the main villain or keep him on as a sort of anti-hero
post #2599 of 2604 Old 04-20-2017, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2712 Post(s)
Liked: 2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I also thought the actress playing the female President was awful...didn't have the gravitas or range to pull off the role...hopefully they don't bring her back next season even though the finale seemed to imply that her story would continue...also seemed like they were going back and forth with Dar Adal and didn't know whether to make him the main villain or keep him on as a sort of anti-hero
I have to disagree with you about Elizabeth Marvel, who plays POTUS. She has long been one of my favorite character actresses and I think she has been great as President Elizabeth Keane. She has done other good stuff, too. Her turn as a homicidal government agent in The Bourne Legacy and as the 40 years old, one-armed, Mattie, in the Coen brothers' version of True Grit, come to mind.
allargon likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
post #2600 of 2604 Old 04-21-2017, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 70
As many have stated before me, this program has degenerated to implausible scenarios and is too politicized for my taste.

I hung in this season because of Peter Quinn. I doubt I shall return next season.

There is a rich mosaic of other shows to watch (Better Call Saul, Fargo, Billions, The Americans, Man in the High Castle, GOT, Silicon Valley, VEEP, Bosch, Patriot...).

I doubt I will miss Homeland which peaked when Brody left planet Earth.

Dave <== Former Fan of Homeland
post #2601 of 2604 Old 04-21-2017, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I stacked up this season's episodes and binge watched over the course of a few days.. and I came out liking the season as much as any before. The initial thread of active FBI entrapment of misguided youth has been shown to be quite prevalent in the past few years. I didn't feel that was far from the truth or the plausible. Similarly I didn't feel that the friction between the warhawks/neocons and a PEOTUS that advocates diplomacy-first was that far from our own lived reality in the past few years.

I don't feel Carrie is an unsympathetic character, though I admit she is deeply flawed, touch more or a tad less than most folks out there. As a father of two young kids, I totally empathized with the hell Carrie went through this season, by having her kid used/abused to pressure her. Did it piss me off that the Carrie character has morphed from a gung-ho daredevil secret agent to a helpless, sobbing mommy? Not at all.. and it made sense for the natural progression of the character that was trying to re-prioritize her life after she had a kid, but still keeps getting dragged back into her past life of constant danger. Her priorities were no longer the mission at all costs, and the pathos of potentially losing custody of her child, and her helplessness to protect her child being subjected to the pain due to someone's political machinations was acted out brilliantly by Danes.

This show is nowhere near the ridiculousness that was 24, and I feel that this season was a nice change of pace, where instead of another "big bad terrorist of the season", we got to explore the "what if" scenario of a rogue wing of an increasingly powerful Security establishment trying to apply the tried and tested (and widely documented) tactics of active covert action, political manipulation and propaganda inside the US. This is a vexing hypothetical scenario to me, where the current US society is becoming increasingly more polarized, and law enforcement is approaching a truly para-military status.

Each season of this show is a steady progression of a flawed super agent that goes from a committed patriot, to someone who gradually sees that evil is not just reposed in ideological "terrorists" but also in the machinations of fanatical patriots that feel the ends justify any means. This explains her getting fascinated with a confessed jihadi like Brody, eventually falling in love with and having his child, and most recently a "legal eagle" trying to defend people like Sekou that get caught in this vicious security state apparatus.

I remain an avid fan of the show, and would like to see a proper conclusion of Carrie's story, instead of being forced to run across the globe to foil the fresh plot of terrorism for the season. Terrorism is going to be here long after all of us are gone, and I want Carrie to eventually reach a point where she can rest peacefully with her daughter on a ranch somewhere in Montana or the Pacific Northwest. Two more seasons might just be long enough.
Charles R likes this.

Last edited by raaj; 04-21-2017 at 03:31 PM.
post #2602 of 2604 Old 04-21-2017, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 906
maybe the end game for this series is Carrie becoming disillusioned and turning into another Brody
post #2603 of 2604 Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
maybe the end game for this series is Carrie becoming disillusioned and turning into another Brody
I HIGHLY doubt that. She has proven throughout the series how much loyalty she has for the Country

If anything it'll be Carrie/Saul/Dar hatching a plan to get Ms President impeached and in a jail cell by the end of next season
audiofan1 likes this.
post #2604 of 2604 Old Today, 12:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked: 1700
I loved this season!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Homeland The Complete First Season , Homeland The Complete Second Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page