AVS Forum banner
158K views 3K replies 226 participants last post by  Ph8te 
#1 ·
Showtime's Homeland' brings terror stateside in new trailer
Monday, May 23, 2011 by Michael C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenrat /forum/post/0

Showtime's Homeland is shaping up to be one of the more promising action series of the fall. The cable network has released a new 90-second trailer to whet fan appetites for the new thriller.

If you're unfamiliar with the new show, Homeland follows a U.S. marine who's been held as a POW in Iraq for years. After he's rescued and sent home, a female CIA operative suspects that he's been turned and is preparing to aid terrorists in attacking the United States.

Stardusts Claire Danes is taking point as CIA analyst Carrie Anderson, who suspects that Sergeant Brody (Damian Lewis - Band of Brothers & Your Highness) is more than he seems. Her manager is played by former Criminal Minds boss Mandy Patinkin.

In what's either a smart bit of editing or some timely luck, the trailer opens with a team of Special Forces raiding a middle-eastern compound -- making it hard not to recall the recent raid that killed Osama Bin Laden. Brody is revealed, looking like Edmond Dantes after fourteen years in the Chateau Dif.

While the armed forces celebrate and the media swoons, Anderson sits on her small chunk of terrorist intelligence: An American prisoner of war has been turned. She believes that Brody's rescue and return were orchestrated by the terrorists to implant an operative deep within the United States. Her superiors, including Saul Berenson (Mandy Patinkin ), are not convinced.

Check out the trailer here:

"Homeland Tease"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSTN7ClsewQ

Homeland comes from 24 executive producer Howard Gordon. That being said, there's not much action in this trailer beyond the first few seconds -- in fact, it looks more like a remake of The Manchurian Candidate than a staple Fox anti-terrorist show. The trailer lends credence to the idea that Homeland will focus on suspense and tension rather than gunfights and fireworks, at least for the first few episodes.

The inclusion of the military raid in the trailer implies some welcome themes around political debate. It's possible that ripped-from-the-headlines issues regarding surveillance and 4th Amendment rights, military use of torture, or even Wikileaks-inspired intelligence leaks, will make an appearance in the first season.

We won't have to wait long to find out. Homeland is scheduled for a fall 2011 debut on Showtime.
http://screenrant.com/homeland-trail...-mcrid-116931/

Please see the official website for "Homeland" below.
http://www.sho.com/site/homeland/home.sho

I don't think this is a repost. I searched on avs and I searched on google.

I will keep this thread updated. I'm interested in a premier date, does anybody have a tentative date?

See less See more
#2 ·
They've been filming this here in the Charlotte area. Some neighborhoods are subbing for DC, Georgetown, etc. Lots of locals have been getting technical and supporting actor gigs during the filming. No, I haven't spotted Claire Danes in any nearby establishments yet, but I remain hopeful.

#4 ·
Looks Great. SHO is due for a new hit, since Lisa Kudrow's new series (premiers tonight 7/19) received a poor review in USA TODAY.

Reactions: Young C
#6 ·
TCA Summer Tour Notes
Claire Danes Will Fight Terrorism With Her Long Eyelashes

By John Sellers, TheWrap.com - August 4th, 2011

Claire Danes, the star of Showtime's upcoming CIA drama "Homeland," joked at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour that starring in those ads for the eyelash-enhancement product Latisse have given her new character an edge in fighting terrorism.

I'm going to trap those terrorists in my very long lashes," she said.

On the show, which will debut October 2 after the season premiere of "Dexter," Danes plays a bipolar CIA agent who becomes convinced that a rescued American POW (played by Damian Lewis) is working with the al Qaeda to cause destruction on U.S. soil.

"Homeland" was created by former "X-Files" and "24" scribes Howard Gordon and Alex Gansa, and will also star Mandy Patinkin and Morena Baccarin ("V"). It will run for 13 episodes.

Gordon, who joked that he is still recovering from "24," said that the mystery of whether Lewis's character is or isn't working with al Qaeda will be solved in the first season.

"We talk about how long can we keep the 'is he or isn't he?' of it alive without feeling like we're jerking off the audience," said Gordon. "We hope we answer those questions at the right time."

Despite the seriousness of the program, which will focus on preventing another 9/11, the panel mostly kept it light.

Danes, who found fame as the star of the short-lived ABC series "My So-Called Life," said that Showtime differs from her old network home in that "you get to curse a lot, you get to get naked a lot."

There are other differences between her experiences on the two programs.

"I was 14 when I did 'My So-Called Life,' so it was a very different experience," she said. "I'm not breaking out as much as I was then. I'm not being tutored. I don't' have to get a high-school degree."

Danes was later asked which of her "My So-Called Life" characters was the bigger jerk: Jordan Catalano or Brian Krakow.

"They're both lovely men," she said. "I don't think [Angela Chase] would have ended up with either one."

Lewis cracked the audience up by saying that filming the torture scenes his character endures wasn't that bad.

"I have a three-year-old an a four-year-old at home," he said. "[The torture scenes] are like a morning of dealing with that."

Lewis also said that he filmed a scene in which his character was being peed on three days ago.

"I said 'I'm enjoying this.' Is that wrong?" he joked.

Baccarin, who played the evil alien Anna on ABC's "V" remake and who also appeared in Joss Whedon's cult TV series "Firefly," was asked about how she likes working on a show that's not sci-fi.

"I'm just excited to be playing a human," she said.

Showtime also released an extended trailer for the series on Thursday, which we have included for your viewing pleasure after the jump.

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/column-pos...ight-terrorism

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca /forum/post/20789471

WOW, The 24 Team, Captain Winters from Band of Bros. and Life....

Claire Danes, Mandy Patankin, and Morena Baccarin. Based on Showtime's history with "Sleeper Cell" it's gonna be a good show, I like the premise....

Sleeper Cell was wonderful. The cast did so great.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C /forum/post/20992164

Very cool.

Please no spoilers, since the premier has not happened yet.

(to everybody
)

I am waiting for the "unedited" version on SHO.

#17 ·
The unedited version is not so different from the online version available. Interesting start with the main players stories set up very well.

I think it goes without saying that another series chasing 'The Terror Thing' has a lot going against it. Mrs Danes as a seasoned operative moving around in the middle east with blond hair might ask a lot of the viewer who want's realism, but perhaps they'll keep her in the states for the rest of the season. I'll give credit where it's due to the supporting cast. Mr Patinkin is always good in this type of role.

Pinning the bad guy role (so far) on an American might help things along. We'll see.

#18 ·
TV Review
'Homeland' (Showtime)

By Tim Goodman, The Hollywood Reporter - September 29th, 2011

It's unlikely that any other new scripted series has these words in it: "Bin Laden is dead." Homeland, an intriguing and thrilling drama entry from Showtime, makes use of those words in a sentence that clearly puts the show on modern ground: It's not just a post-9/11 series; it's a post-Saddam, post-bin Laden look at terrorism that could have been shot last week.

The series, easily one of the fall's best, centers on Marine Sgt. Nicholas Brody (Damian Lewis), missing for eight years and presumed dead. He turns up in the rubble of an al-Qaida compound just lit up by U.S. bombs after a tip that one of the most wanted terrorists was going to be there. Brody is pulled out and returned home as a national hero. CIA agent Carrie Mathison (Claire Danes), an expert in Middle East terrorism, has immediate suspicions, but she's being marginalized at the agency because one of her recent missions in Iraq went sideways — and, besides, nobody wants to ruin the feel-good story that's making the agency look so good. Carrie's intel is that Brody had actually "been turned" and could be plotting an attack on America from the inside.

It's a compelling premise and one the writers quickly move to gray areas. Carrie's rogue actions run afoul of her biggest supporter at the CIA, Saul Berenson (Mandy Patinkin in a grounded, nuanced performance). She's a top-notch agent but also reckless, and what the audience is shown pretty quickly is that Carrie is taking pills for a mental condition the agency doesn't know about. (She's getting them from her sister, a psychiatrist, who becomes just another person, like Saul, helping Carrie while she in turn puts their lives at risk.)

Who do we believe? Brody has definitely changed. Is Carrie stressed out and possibly mentally incapacitated? Is there a little bit of truth in each story?

Both Lewis and Danes are excellent in Homeland. His coiled intensity — and mystery — contrast nicely with her manic need to be right. The cast also includes David Harewood as David Estes, head of the CIA's counterterrorism center and a rising star in the agency. His future basically rides on Brody being the hero everyone believes him to be, thus he's antagonistic to Carrie's suspicions. Morena Baccarin plays Jessica Brody, whose life is turned upside down when she finds out her husband is still alive after all these years.

Showtime really has something in this show because there's a lot of intrigue in the spy-and-terrorist angle, especially as it clashes with privacy rights, suspicion of our own troops and how a hero might think the eight lost years weren't worth it in a war he might not believe in.

The only worry going forward with Homeland is how long does it play the is-he-or-isn't-he card? And if he is, how long will it be interesting waiting for him to make a move against his country? Or is the whole point watching Carrie come unraveled?

But those are questions to be answered at a later time. Right now, Homeland is the timeliest drama on television and one that could really use that "ripped from the headlines" currency in a political fashion, which makes it worth keeping an eye on.

HOMELAND

Airdate 10 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 2 (Showtime)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-review-241914

#21 ·
Was ok. Felt like a movie I've seen before more than a TV show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja7475 /forum/post/21018610

Damien Lewis

I still miss Life...

#22 ·
With BREAKING BAD winding down for the season, and WALKING DEAD not due for a couple of weeks, I think I will get into this. Not the best new show, but seems decent.

This is one of those shows that I wish I knew better where they are going with this. They can't wait too long to decide if our marine is a bad guy. Patience is not one of my long suits. Is this the type of show that can go more than one season?

#25 ·
Noticed an end-credit saying it's based on an Israeli TV production; they've had a number of their military held prisoner for years. (NBC's Prime Suspect is another 'new' show adapted from an overseas series.) Showtime's Homeland looks like a good series. Hope they'll detail decoding of the finger-twitch signals noticed by the admitted-psychotic CIA analyst. Also found, when I couldn't pause the show, they apparently put a prevent-recording flag in the MPEG stream. -- John

EDIT: Came across the earlier NYTimes review:
http://tv.nytimes.com/2011/09/30/art...me-review.html

which mentions the Israeli connection, too. Astonished to read Claire Danes, who plays the woman CIA officer, also stared in the HBO movie “Temple Grandin,” about an autistic woman. Such a remarkable transformation helps explain her Emmy for the HBO role.

#26 ·
I liked it but I do wish they had teased out the "has he been turned" question longer

Good to see more of Morena... in every sense

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.