Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 429 Old 04-02-2012, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

That really should have been in spoiler tags, as it was not apparent that she was dead.

Even though it was information outside the show itself, it was only explaining what we should have seen, not what we will see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 429 Old 04-02-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
DeKnight said he wished they had shot Illythia's death scene more definitively. They had another cut that was put together so that the audience could see Glaber and Illythia go concurrently...and he wished that he'd gone with that one. Long story short, there was no more room in the story for the ladies back at the ludus...or the ludus...or Capua. L & I were tied together and were always going out at the end of S2. S3 will be Crassus and Ceasar chasing down our heroes somewhere in Australia or New Zealand...um, I mean Italy.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #363 of 429 Old 04-02-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

L & I were tied together and were always going out at the end of S2. S3 will be Crassus and Ceasar chasing down our heroes somewhere in Australia or New Zealand...um, I mean Italy.

So what...was the GODS OF THE ARENA prequel Season Zero? Personally, I consider this the end of Season 3, with Season 4 ahead.

post #364 of 429 Old 04-02-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Illithyia should have thrown herself to the abyss to follow her baby..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #365 of 429 Old 04-02-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Crassus would make an interesting villain, if a bit impersonal since he never personally met Spartacus. Very, very shady guy, and I believe he's already been referenced a few times in the series.

But for the life of me, I just don't see how they pull off such a sweeping story moving forward.
post #366 of 429 Old 04-02-2012, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
As far as I am concerned, Spartacus really ended with season 1. Like the Matrix, I refuse to hold the sequels as a true continuation of the series. It ended perfectly and you can imagine what events transpired when the gladiators left the ludas.
post #367 of 429 Old 04-02-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

But for the life of me, I just don't see how they pull off such a sweeping story moving forward.

Well Kubrick did it . I can see it now, 25 guys against 6 Roman legions (all off screen)...cut to after the battle...Spartacus rallies the 17 guys remaining.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #368 of 429 Old 04-02-2012, 03:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

Crassus would make an interesting villain, if a bit impersonal since he never personally met Spartacus. Very, very shady guy, and I believe he's already been referenced a few times in the series.

They have. I dunno exactly where but I remember hearing and reading that Crassus was the most wealthiest and powerful roman at that time. Will be curious to see how caeser is interpreted. Obviously he shouldn't be the age he was in Rome and definitely not powerful as he didn't lead any huge victories yet.

Love sports, movies, and games. Slowly some day I'll add a projector and screen. Until then, I'll build up my library.
post #369 of 429 Old 04-02-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Ceasar was just an up and comer during the Spartacus years. The series is going to bend history somewhat to give a familiar character scope in the series. I believe John Gavin appeared in Kubrick's Spartacus, but didn't do much but show up in the senate. He's going to play a swaggering swordsman next season...something that was never noted in history.

post #370 of 429 Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnaz480 View Post

They have. I dunno exactly where but I remember hearing and reading that Crassus was the most wealthiest and powerful roman at that time. Will be curious to see how caeser is interpreted. Obviously he shouldn't be the age he was in Rome and definitely not powerful as he didn't lead any huge victories yet.

Yup, Crassus was a slumlord, slaver and back alley peddler of influence. Caesar was just (a relative) young pup compared to the big guys at this point. Now, they could introduce Pompey since he was a rival of Crassus but if they aren't careful, this could turn into a prequel to HBO's Rome. (which I loved btw)
post #371 of 429 Old 04-02-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

As far as I am concerned, Spartacus really ended with season 1. Like the Matrix, I refuse to hold the sequels as a true continuation of the series. It ended perfectly and you can imagine what events transpired when the gladiators left the ludas.

I made the same comment to my wife a few weeks ago. Like the Matrix, the creators of Spartacus had a great concept and story for Season 1. Then when it was picked up for the next season, they just cobbled together something to justify the bucks they were given. Matrix 2 & 3 were horrible.
post #372 of 429 Old 04-02-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

I made the same comment to my wife a few weeks ago. Like the Matrix, the creators of Spartacus had a great concept and story for Season 1. Then when it was picked up for the next season, they just cobbled together something to justify the bucks they were given. Matrix 2 & 3 were horrible.

One might say that the lead actor having a life threatening disease immediately following the filming of season 1 has a lot to do with it all. So, they threw in a prequel to move along while he recuperated from that disease. The original season 2 was all ready to go, but they had to wait while their star got healthy. It was a very popular series, they did what they had to do to keep it going. Now, the fact that the original star did not survive his disease put a real wrench in the gear works.

Give it a break......

Bobby 

post #373 of 429 Old 04-03-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

One might say that the lead actor having a life threatening disease immediately following the filming of season 1 has a lot to do with it all. So, they threw in a prequel to move along while he recuperated from that disease. The original season 2 was all ready to go, but they had to wait while their star got healthy. It was a very popular series, they did what they had to do to keep it going. Now, the fact that the original star did not survive his disease put a real wrench in the gear works.

Agreed.

I very much enjoyed 'Gods of the Arena'. In my view the actor who plays Ganicus has the most screen presence of those left. Maybe Liam can bulk up a bit before next season, to appease those who feel he is too "small" for the role.
post #374 of 429 Old 04-03-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
They guy playing Gannicus IMO overshadows Liam. he looks much more natural in the fight scenes as well.
post #375 of 429 Old 04-03-2012, 10:43 AM
HJJ

Liked: 10
I would think that the "Gods of the Arena" had to have happened illness to Andy or not. It makes it much easier to explain the backstory on Gannicus and Oenameus. I agree that obviously Liam is no Andy but he did get better and much of his shortcomings could have been resolved with better writing. To me it is obvious that Gannicus would be the true lead gladiator if not for obvious historical perspective. Also, I think the writers did a good job of conveying that Gannicus did not have the same leadership qualities. I think from the start he is shown as a boozing womanizer who does not stand for anything but himself. Until of course the end of this season.

I don't know how historically accurate the portrayal of Nivea's character is but it must be kept in mind that she is a main character in the series. Mira was just a spurned would be lover of Spartacus who of course was told by his wife that he would never love another. I think Mira's role had gone as far as it could. I don't find the new Nivea as appealing as the original. Not because of looks but just her personality change. I could never picture the original Nivea being so gung ho about using a sword. Granted the ordeal she went through likely is a big part of the change of her whole persona.
post #376 of 429 Old 04-03-2012, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

They guy playing Gannicus IMO overshadows Liam. he looks much more natural in the fight scenes as well.

He's too pretty to be a gladiator.
post #377 of 429 Old 04-03-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Which makes it all the worse that the new Sparticus is overshadowed by him in every way. Either way, good enough season for me. It picked up towards the end, but so did season 1.
post #378 of 429 Old 04-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

So is Liam. He looks like he should be leading a boy-band, not an army of gladiators/slaves.
How can he get that perfect fade without an electric hair trimmer?

XBOX: xxx GR1MM xxx
PS3: GR1MM
post #379 of 429 Old 04-04-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Got a feeling next season will start slowly because they will have to introduce new villains into the picture. They killed off most of the cast in the season finale except for the core 4.
post #380 of 429 Old 04-09-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I had CSI Miami on DVR, watched last week's episode and surprise there was Katrina Law in it..

Katrina Law + Taylor Cole = I almost feinted..

I just hope she doesn't make just guest stars in other shows but stays there.

post #381 of 429 Old 04-10-2012, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

Matrix 2 & 3 were indeed horrible...but Spartacus Vengence is not. IMO the writers did a good job in getting the story on track.

Spartacus is 1 of the very few shows...where each episode is strong & continues the story forward in a great way.
post #382 of 429 Old 04-10-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I had CSI Miami on DVR, watched last week's episode and surprise there was Katrina Law in it..

Katrina Law + Taylor Cole = I almost feinted..

I just hope she doesn't make just guest stars in other shows but stays there.

Was it!? WAS IT!? I thought I was ****ing seeing things, I was freaking out. Sadly though... I couldn't get a stiffy because I just had a catheter taken out in the morning when I watched it yesterday... (fractured clavicle) But it was a WONDERFUL EPISODE!

Edit 1: OH, snap, CSI Miami? Watch the last CSI (Vegas one) There was a Katrina Law with blonde hair in that too!!!! Damn it, gotta go back and rewatch it! LOL

Meanwhile I'm getting the CSI Miami one!!!! (ugh David Caruso ****ing kills me...)

Edit 2: WTF is this Matrix comparing?

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #383 of 429 Old 04-10-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Too bad that

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Both Katrina and Taylor characters are gone for good, both in jail though.. want Prison break 2 with these beauties in it

post #384 of 429 Old 04-10-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Wait what?! What are their real names? I'll look up everything they're in to watch. LOL

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #385 of 429 Old 04-10-2012, 10:05 AM

Liked: 10
Since everyone agrees that season 1 was the best, why doesn't STARZ compose a series perhaps even called "Gladiator". It would be a series set at the House of Batticus. You could continually funnel new actors into the mix as gladiators die etc. The Roman themes are very popular with their "different" standards for morality.
post #386 of 429 Old 04-20-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Finishing up a marathon watch of Vengeance .. all I can say is the writers/producers biggest mistake was killing off John Hannah ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #387 of 429 Old 04-20-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Finishing up a marathon watch of Vengeance .. all I can say is the writers/producers biggest mistake was killing off John Hannah ..

I disagree. The Spartacus story needs to move on if it is to follow history. Capua, and everything in that area is the past. Also when the John Hannah character was killed the suits thought that Andy Whitfield would be returning to the show. Had they known the future where Liam McIntyre is no Andy Whitfield they might have reconsidered Hannah's demise.
post #388 of 429 Old 04-20-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Moot point since they've now killed off just about everyone.

post #389 of 429 Old 04-21-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

You had to kill him off to try to stay close to the actual story. As cinema13 pointed out they killed off over character that would oppose them so they have to start all over.
post #390 of 429 Old 04-21-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 633
My comment regarding John Hannah was simply to illustrate how much I think he added to the show and that I wish he was still on the show ... the massacre / historical context / and all that I understand ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page