Spartacus: Vengeance on Starz - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 429 Old 02-19-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How does Ashur go from being all but a cripple to what is being portrayed now? This is just not much "fun" viewing anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 429 Old 02-19-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpflepsen View Post

How does Ashur go from being all but a cripple to what is being portrayed now? This is just not much "fun" viewing anymore.

Ashur wasn't in a wheelchair. He just wasn't up to gladiator standards (due to his injury of course) so he was delegated to taking care of affairs-aka thug assignments for his Dominus. I think he's playing the same role. I just didn't think the Roman army needed him playing the point. Once he told them they were going to the mines that should have been enough. I guess he was supposed to be able to recognize them faster.

XBL: mmjp08 PSN: mikeny1
post #183 of 429 Old 02-19-2012, 07:36 PM
HJJ

Keeping my fingers crossed that this thing is about to make a turn for the better next week. Still wish somehow Spartacus did not have to be the main character as dumb as that sounds. I think it is less to do with build and more to do with looking like a green kid when you are supposed to be the leader. Andy's character was not substantially bigger. He was just a more mature actor and had the it factor.

I still think the writers need to do something to "put him over" sort of by giving him a scene were he does take on like 6 or 8 guys. The way they did in season one in Spartacus' first arena battle that was supposed to be his execution. Or when he took on 8 or 10 Roman soldiers with his wooden sword. Still not sure the kid can pull it off. He is trying and may likely get better. I was into it in that last stand scene where they thought the Roman army was about to over run them. Just frustrates many of us knowing what could have been.

I just hope they give Gannicus, Crixus and Oenomeous the opportunity to play a substantial part of this season.
post #184 of 429 Old 02-19-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 104
This is the first time that I'm starting to watch Spartacus (2nd season) so I hadn't seen the original Spartacus. All the comparisons from 1st to 2nd made me curious, so I started watching the first season and I have to agree that the first actor was much better. Storylines might play a major factor as well. The first season showing his rise is a lot more interesting than watching all the in-fighting and running from the Romans.

The new Spartacus sure knows how to open his mouth big in those slo-mo fight pose scenes!
post #185 of 429 Old 02-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The makers of Spartacus did a real lousy job of replacing actors. They could've found a better actor to play Spartacus. This one isn't convincing as a leader, and doesn't resemble Andy at all. They also could've found a better actress to play Navia. This girl looks nothing like the original, and Navia seemed tougher in season 1 than she is portrayed in this season.

XBOX: xxx GR1MM xxx
PS3: GR1MM
post #186 of 429 Old 02-20-2012, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1MM View Post

... and Navia seemed tougher in season 1 than she is portrayed in this season.

How do you think you'd act if you were constantly beaten, raped and forced to work in a mine in less than acceptable conditions for months? With it being a different actress, it's tough to associate here with Navia.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #187 of 429 Old 02-20-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Yeah, Katrina kicked some mean roman arse... as well as Viva (Illithyia)..both in their own way..

I like sex scenes and all but there were a bit too many this time.. I didn't need to see that old guy getting some..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #188 of 429 Old 02-20-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeny View Post

What exactly are the gladiators looking to do at this point? Catch a ferry over to somewhere and then what?

They are looking to get to the port city to free slaves that are bound for the arena and other functions to build their ranks in order to assualt Rome.

post #189 of 429 Old 02-20-2012, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Yeah, Katrina kicked some mean roman arse...

She pounced on that guy like a spider monkey.
post #190 of 429 Old 02-20-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

She can pounce on me like a spider monkey anytime.

post #191 of 429 Old 02-20-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I like sex scenes and all but there were a bit too many this time.. I didn't need to see that old guy getting some..

That's what eyelids are for.
post #192 of 429 Old 02-21-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Haha I did had to rewind that. Loved watching it go down.
I also loved the scene with her and Spartacus back to back when they thought they were going to die.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #193 of 429 Old 02-23-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking forward to the return of Gannicus tomorrow. Curious as to how it will go down because according to history
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Gannicus was one of Spartacus' generals

post #194 of 429 Old 02-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I don't understand this infatuation with Katrina Law's character in the show (I can't recall her name offhand).

I mean no disrespect to the actress herself, but after the incredible emotional investment Whitfield's Spartacus made in his late wife, I see any other woman on the show who is near Spartacus as little more than a diversion or set dressing. Remember his late wife's words? Something to the effect of "you will never love another woman." So Law's character shouldn't be more than an attractive shoulder to cry on.

And for what it's worth, having her be any sort of combatant in this world is silly; she's never had any training and compared to what the gladiators went through, she's miles away from competent with a blade.

I guess this is one more way in which this season is disappointing; it's like the writers suddenly love all the 1st season characters and are giving them roles far beyond the scope of what they should have. Honestly, Law's character should be like that other blonde slave: holding on to some random gladiator for protection (and likely not Spartacus, who should have no serious feelings for any woman after his wife).

Even "Gods of the Arena" seemed to smug about the way it treated its characters. "You'll love this character because he was in 'Blood and Sand.'" The show has forgotten that it's the trials & tribulations that these characters go through that made us love them.
post #195 of 429 Old 02-23-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

I mean no disrespect to the actress herself, but after the incredible emotional investment Whitfield's Spartacus made in his late wife, I see any other woman on the show who is near Spartacus as little more than a diversion or set dressing. Remember his late wife's words? Something to the effect of "you will never love another woman." So Law's character shouldn't be more than an attractive shoulder to cry on.

I don't think he's asked her to marry him has he? At this point, they're just frack-buddies. Having her feel more for him than vice versa is a way to introduce more drama to the proceedings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

And for what it's worth, having her be any sort of combatant in this world is silly; she's never had any training and compared to what the gladiators went through, she's miles away from competent with a blade.

She is untrained, and fights like it. She basically jumps on 'em (spider monkey like) and stabs furiously until they give up the fight. Pretty good tactics as long as you get the first jab into a sensitive spot.
post #196 of 429 Old 02-23-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 96
At least she does something, not like the majority of the roman slaves that just cower in fear.

She does what she can, she can't weild a big sword and can't stab a dagger thru an armor so she goes for the neck..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #197 of 429 Old 02-23-2012, 03:01 PM

As far as acting goes, Andy's Spartacus >/= Gannicus >>>> this new Spartacus.

Still going to stick with it though.
post #198 of 429 Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Well that certainly took a big turn for the better....much better. That is what I am talking about. I won't give details for those who have not seen it, but the return of Ganicus is a good one.

Things are heating up!
post #199 of 429 Old 02-25-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco View Post

Well that certainly took a big turn for the better....much better. That is what I am talking about. I won't give details for those who have not seen it, but the return of Ganicus is a good one.

Things are heating up!

I agree. Best episode of the season so far!

post #200 of 429 Old 02-25-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Good episode! Agree, best so far.
Some game changing events & Illthyia will need a new plan

Glad to see Gannicus back & with the rebels.

Steve
post #201 of 429 Old 02-25-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco View Post

Well that certainly took a big turn for the better....much better. That is what I am talking about.

- To me, this is the same exact thing that happened in Season 1. It didn't really pick up until around this time. Hopefully, it's a sign of things to come for Vengeance.
post #202 of 429 Old 02-25-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
WOWIES!

/thread

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #203 of 429 Old 02-25-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Excelllent episode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #204 of 429 Old 02-25-2012, 02:19 PM

This is still an excellent program. It has yet to reach the lofty standards set by the prequel and S1, and with some turnover in the cast, and new leading players, I don't expect it to.

Nonetheless, S2 has had more than it's share of riveting, powerful moments, and Ep.5 has been the best of the season yet.
post #205 of 429 Old 02-25-2012, 02:36 PM
HJJ

It was nice to see Glaber regain some backbone. I think they were trying to make him a sympathetic character like they did Batiatus during the Gods of the Arena when his dad showed up.

I also thought Liam's Spartacus was a bit improved as well. The speech was good. I still don't see him as the badass he is supposed to be. Again, though I think this is the writer's fault. With a new actor there is no carryover from what Andy's character was portrayed as. So it should be up to the script writers to give him that identity.

Not sure I completely understood Gannicus' rationale for taking on this supposed execution match against his former brothers. I know he was still conflicted over his past affair with Oenomeus' wife. But I guess more will come next week. Interesting to see in the previews that Gannicus and Spartacus are sparring. Maybe to prove who the alpha gladiator is. LOL

I will say that each week they are making me wish there was more. Will be much more satisfying after the season when you can watch multiple episodes in a row.
post #206 of 429 Old 02-26-2012, 06:16 AM

Much better!

Although, Spartacus is about the 7th most intriguing character behind Gannicus, Crixus, Oenomaus, Lucretia, Llithyia, and Glaber BUT, it's all officially working after this episode. I was just used to Andy's Spartacus and Qunitis being the most interesting and am now most interested in the (list above of) characters portrayed by the original actors.

I'm officially back into this show.
post #207 of 429 Old 02-26-2012, 11:45 AM
PMA

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I agree this was the best episode of the current season. Spartacus is improving but I still miss Andy who clearly had more of an imposing presence.

I really liked the plan to bring down the arena and free Crixus and the others and this was well executed. What was the "chop shop" under the arena where they were cutting up the dead gladiators? Is that the historical way they disposed of the bodies?

Finally, Illythia really got hers at the end. It will be interesting to see how Glaber reasserts himself now that he knows what she was plotting.
post #208 of 429 Old 02-26-2012, 02:53 PM

Slightly off topic but this has been bugging me: What episode features Batiatus and someone else using a Roman bathroom in the city? I remember there was a bathroom attendant who handed out sticks with towels on the end and the scene was rather funny.

I just watched all of Blood and Sand and didn't see it. Was it in Gods of the Arena? Thanks for any help.
post #209 of 429 Old 02-26-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

That episode was epic. It felt like a finale. How are they going to top it?

post #210 of 429 Old 02-26-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie5fingers View Post

Slightly off topic but this has been bugging me: What episode features Batiatus and someone else using a Roman bathroom in the city? I remember there was a bathroom attendant who handed out sticks with towels on the end and the scene was rather funny.

I just watched all of Blood and Sand and didn't see it. Was it in Gods of the Arena? Thanks for any help.

It was in Gods of the Arena. I think it may have been the first episode. I'll double check when I get a chance.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page