"American Horror Story" on FX HD - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
danc8379's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Sorry if this was talked about, but didn't Tate go and meet the psychiatrist father at a cafe/off site one time. Could of swore I saw that.

Pretty sure that was on Halloween...the one day allowable.
danc8379 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
danc8379's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

She was in the yard, all the way to the gate, and then came back in once she opened the gate and went a little further. I think showing her come back in was just dramatic license meaning she was running through the gate over and over.

Sorry...guess I forgot that it showed her run to the gate. It seems to me that a ghost would have to know how to make themselves appear to the living. In fact, didn't Hayden talk about that to one of the other ghosts? Yet Violet interacted with Ben with no apparent effort on her part (since she didn't even know she was dead).
danc8379 is offline  
post #363 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bobby94928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 4,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Sorry if this was talked about, but didn't Tate go and meet the psychiatrist father at a cafe/off site one time. Could of swore I saw that.

On Halloween....

Bobby 

bobby94928 is online now  
post #364 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,145
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by danc8379 View Post


Sorry...guess I forgot that it showed her run to the gate. It seems to me that a ghost would have to know how to make themselves appear to the living. In fact, didn't Hayden talk about that to one of the other ghosts? Yet Violet interacted with Ben with no apparent effort on her part (since she didn't even know she was dead).

Neither did the wife of the Doctor until recently. She was in complete denial.
Ph8te is online now  
post #365 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Shaded Dogfood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Terminus and the Lake of Light
Posts: 4,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Still, I too am annoyed at the rules they set up and then break at the writers' whims.

How are they doing that? Seems like they've been pretty consistent from the get-go to me.


Well, the ghosts seem to manifest themselves both pre and post-death in their appearance, though maybe they do that as they please. I suppose I am sullen at Tate's almost superhuman invulnerabilty and power whereas in the classic haunting canon ghosts don't seem to actually hurt people. Poltergeists can move things around but that seems to be about it. And the whole impregnation business rankles me too.

But I suppose all this doesn't actually break any of the show's rules. Without Tate murdering everyone he pleases they really wouldn't have a show.

CW Hinkle
Shaded Dogfood is offline  
post #366 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 17,882
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

Still, I too am annoyed at the rules they set up and then break at the writers' whims.

How are they doing that? Seems like they've been pretty consistent from the get-go to me.

Well, the ghosts seem to manifest themselves both pre and post-death in their appearance, though maybe they do that as they please. I suppose I am sullen at Tate's almost superhuman invulnerability and power whereas in the classic haunting canon ghosts don't seem to actually hurt people. Poltergeists can move things around but that seems to be about it. And the whole impregnation business rankles me too.

But I suppose all this doesn't actually break any of the show's rules. Without Tate murdering everyone he pleases they really wouldn't have a show.

Much the same arguments can be made for vampire and werewolf stories. You're talking about something that doesn't exist, so you can fashion whatever mythology you wish that advances your story. Same as sci-fi.

In this case, ghosts can take corporeal form and project whatever image they desire in their interactions with the living. I'm fine with all that as long as those rules are applied consistently. I ask only to be entertained.

But the fact that they can leave the property only on Halloween is the only thing that really causes me to roll my eyes. That's like saying the rules are being made up by Dr. Frank N. Furter.
archiguy is online now  
post #367 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kalani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 1,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Much the same arguments can be made for vampire and werewolf stories. You're talking about something that doesn't exist, so you can fashion whatever mythology you wish that advances your story. Same as sci-fi.

In this case, ghosts can take corporeal form and project whatever image they desire in their interactions with the living. I'm fine with all that as long as those rules are applied consistently. I ask only to be entertained.

But the fact that they can leave the property only on Halloween is the only thing that really causes me to roll my eyes. That's like saying the rules are being made up by Dr. Frank N. Furter.

Not really... Halloween/All-Hallows Eve is considered to be the one day of the year that the dead roam free in tons and tons of real-world mythology, not something the show made up.

I have no issues with shows and movies setting up whatever fantastical worlds they want, with whatever crazy rules they want. I only ask that they stick to the rules they create (or at least supply a plausible reason why it's ok for those rules to be broken in specific situations).

That's one thing I REALLY REALLY liked about the Matrix. Impossible physics are a pet peeve of mine. In the Matrix movies, the characters in the virtual world broke the normal rules of physics left and right, but at least they explained why it was possible for them to do so.
Kalani is offline  
post #368 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Shedrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: san diego, ca.
Posts: 976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The actual house is for sale in Los Angels.

http://www.trulia.com/property/photo...-90019#item--1

Quote:
Architect Alfred Rosenheim moved from St. Louis to Los Angeles in 1903 to oversee construction of his downtown Hellman Building (now lofts), and around 1908 he designed and built this six bedroom house for himself, it includes a three-story main house and a detached ballroom, which was "formerly a chapel" and is "currently used as a recording studio." The house is decked out in Tiffany, with stained glass windows, light fixtures, leaded-glass display cases, "a museum-quality set of Tiffany glass doors," a formal dining room, six Batchelder tile fireplaces, and a solarium, because turn of the century architects knew how to live.

Shedrock is offline  
post #369 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 17,882
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 495
quote: Architect Alfred Rosenheim moved from St. Louis to Los Angeles in 1903 to oversee construction of his downtown Hellman Building (now lofts), and around 1908 he designed and built this six bedroom house for himself, it includes a three-story main house and a detached ballroom, which was "formerly a chapel" and is "currently used as a recording studio." The house is decked out in Tiffany, with stained glass windows, light fixtures, leaded-glass display cases, "a museum-quality set of Tiffany glass doors," a formal dining room, six Batchelder tile fireplaces, and a solarium, because turn of the century architects knew how to live.

As opposed to turn of this century architects who, due to the collapse of the construction industry during The Great Recession, are just trying to figure out how to keep living. And eating.

That is a stunning house, no doubt - all that carved, curved stone window trim, etc. - amazing. Listed for $8.5 million, it says. Probably cost twice that to build something like it today.
archiguy is online now  
post #370 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Great postings on this page.

Oh Architects
I need to send the old architecture firm a Holiday card. I'm sure they would love to hear from me. / off topic. ha
Young C is offline  
post #371 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
Shedrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: san diego, ca.
Posts: 976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

because turn of the century architects knew how to live.

A promotional description like this tells me more about the Realtor than the house. [creeper]
Shedrock is offline  
post #372 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by danc8379 View Post

Pretty sure that was on Halloween...the one day allowable.

Ahhh, thanks.

WilliamR is offline  
post #373 of 486 Old 12-10-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

The actual house is for sale in Los Angels.

http://www.trulia.com/property/photo...-90019#item--1

Seeing the pictures makes me realize the set designers for the interior sets of the house really did a great job of maintaining the character of the original house, even using some of the actual elements from it.

It's kind of refreshing considering interior sets seldom look anything like the actual location they are meant to portray.
NetworkTV is online now  
post #374 of 486 Old 12-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 55
$8,500,000 and no gazebo?

No thanks.
CPanther95 is offline  
post #375 of 486 Old 12-10-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

$8,500,000 and no gazebo?

No thanks.

I'm disappointed by the biggest qualifier of all:

*Ghosts not included...

I want to be on the murder house tour if I'm going to pay that much for a really old house...
NetworkTV is online now  
post #376 of 486 Old 12-10-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

The actual house is for sale in Los Angels.

http://www.trulia.com/property/photo...-90019#item--1

very, very cool ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

mgkdragn is offline  
post #377 of 486 Old 12-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Catfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Well, now that the people who thought the maid somehow survived that bullet through the eye, know she didn't live to be an old lady.

There does seem to be a major issue with how the deceased look in the present. Some show no signs of their cause of death, while others are still smoldering. I'm sure it's a stylistic choice, but it's still weird.


Well I guess I was wrong on that one. I don't have a problem with rules that are made up as the story progresses; but please stick to those rules. The idea that the ghosts look as they choose is a bit iffy to me. I mean, the kids are going to want to go around as burn victims for the rest of their existence? I have a hard time believing so. This show has lots of issues but I'm still enjoying it for the the "WTF" moments and Jessica Lange. She is awesome.

Catfish is offline  
post #378 of 486 Old 12-12-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Joseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post

Well I guess I was wrong on that one. I don't have a problem with rules that are made up as the story progresses; but please stick to those rules. The idea that the ghosts look as they choose is a bit iffy to me. I mean, the kids are going to want to go around as burn victims for the rest of their existence? I have a hard time believing so. This show has lots of issues but I'm still enjoying it for the the "WTF" moments and Jessica Lange. She is awesome.

At least a component of the ghost's appearance relates to the character/perception of the person viewing the ghost. Recall how all the lady folk see the maid as an old woman, but the frisky men all see her as the young hottie - until - the dad 'began to see things as they really are", or however the maid worded it when he saw her as an old woman for the first time.
Joseph is offline  
post #379 of 486 Old 12-12-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
adpayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Camp Lake,WI
Posts: 1,505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Which leads one to this inevitable question: when a ghost eats food, does it process it as a living person would and, ummm, eliminate the waste? Ghost poop! Now, that's scary!

I don't think they showed Violet actually eating after she died. She was at the table, but it didn't look like she had touched her food. That was the first thing that clued me into the fact she might be dead.
adpayne is offline  
post #380 of 486 Old 12-12-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post

Well I guess I was wrong on that one. I don't have a problem with rules that are made up as the story progresses; but please stick to those rules. The idea that the ghosts look as they choose is a bit iffy to me. I mean, the kids are going to want to go around as burn victims for the rest of their existence? I have a hard time believing so. This show has lots of issues but I'm still enjoying it for the the "WTF" moments and Jessica Lange. She is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

At least a component of the ghost's appearance relates to the character/perception of the person viewing the ghost. Recall how all the lady folk see the maid as an old woman, but the frisky men all see her as the young hottie - until - the dad 'began to see things as they really are", or however the maid worded it when he saw her as an old woman for the first time.

My guess is, based on the component of how others perceive the ghosts is that the girls didn't see each other as being burnt - only their father did because of his guilt.
NetworkTV is online now  
post #381 of 486 Old 12-14-2011, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Season Finale episode titled "Birth" is tonight. Going to be awesome.

I don't want this show to stop for the season
ha
Young C is offline  
post #382 of 486 Old 12-14-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Argee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Ravenna, ohio, USA
Posts: 1,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Actually tonight is the second last episode.

Argee
Argee is online now  
post #383 of 486 Old 12-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
danc8379's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

Actually tonight is the second last episode.

Ok, so is EVERYBODY going to be dead by the end of the season??
danc8379 is offline  
post #384 of 486 Old 12-14-2011, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

Actually tonight is the second last episode.

Yeah, I was mistaken. That's actually a good thing

Tonight's episode was intense. Why leave the area of the hospital? Having the baby in the house was such a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc8379 View Post

Ok, so is EVERYBODY going to be dead by the end of the season??

I laughed. If Mr. Harmon dies, then the family could all live together.
Young C is offline  
post #385 of 486 Old 12-14-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,145
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Not sure how I feel about this episode. For some reason it felt cut short. I think I am going to wait until next week to pass judgment.
Ph8te is online now  
post #386 of 486 Old 12-14-2011, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 10,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 301
I thought this was the finale too. Oh well.

So stuff happened. In fact so much stuff is happening there won't be much mystery left for next season. I liked the Roanoke segment; the actual ghost stories are my favorite parts. The rest of the show in present day is in danger of becoming Ghosts of Our Lives. It's far removed from the paranormal mindf**k that was in the first few episodes now.

I have figured out the purpose of the house however. It's forcing the spirits to assemble it's own on-call service team to keep the household running! So far we know it's recruited doctors and nurses, home decorators, a pest controller and a maid. Maybe it's already managed to acquire a plumber, cable TV installer, carpenter and IT guy. Next year we might see those and a roofer, glazier, chef, mechanic, piano tuner, gardener ... added to it's employee list.


VisionOn is online now  
post #387 of 486 Old 12-14-2011, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 10,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 301
And Thaddeus is another occupant with different rules. Is he dead or alive? If he's a un/dead baby then why is he old? If he's alive is it because he's a Frankenbaby and existed this long feeding on blood? In which case, huh? Did he die after living a long time on a diet of blood?


VisionOn is online now  
post #388 of 486 Old 12-15-2011, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I have figured out the purpose of the house however. It's forcing the spirits to assemble it's own on-call service team to keep the household running! So far we know it's recruited doctors and nurses, home decorators, a pest controller and a maid. Maybe it's already managed to acquire a plumber, cable TV installer, carpenter and IT guy. Next year we might see those and a roofer, glazier, chef, mechanic, piano tuner, gardener ... added to it's employee list.

Ha, that's pretty good. I can see where you're coming from. They "pop up" at just the right time to help somebody.

What was the relationship with the psychiatrist/fortune teller and Tate?
They seemed to clash pretty hard. I can only assume he killed her at one point. ha
Young C is offline  
post #389 of 486 Old 12-15-2011, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 136
So the only people alive right now is the make owner and the neighbor. Wow, wayyyy to many ghosts in this show.

WilliamR is offline  
post #390 of 486 Old 12-15-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthJersey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 2,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I really don't believe Mr Harmon will die, but instead run away, by the end of the finale. That way the show doesn't have to pay D.McDermott to come back next season. Jessica Lange is the best part of this show, hopefully she'll remain on it throughout the show's existence
NorthJersey is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off