post #361 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Sorry if this was talked about, but didn't Tate go and meet the psychiatrist father at a cafe/off site one time. Could of swore I saw that.

Pretty sure that was on Halloween...the one day allowable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

She was in the yard, all the way to the gate, and then came back in once she opened the gate and went a little further. I think showing her come back in was just dramatic license meaning she was running through the gate over and over.

Sorry...guess I forgot that it showed her run to the gate. It seems to me that a ghost would have to know how to make themselves appear to the living. In fact, didn't Hayden talk about that to one of the other ghosts? Yet Violet interacted with Ben with no apparent effort on her part (since she didn't even know she was dead).
post #363 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Sorry if this was talked about, but didn't Tate go and meet the psychiatrist father at a cafe/off site one time. Could of swore I saw that.

On Halloween....

Bobby 

post #364 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by danc8379 View Post

Sorry...guess I forgot that it showed her run to the gate. It seems to me that a ghost would have to know how to make themselves appear to the living. In fact, didn't Hayden talk about that to one of the other ghosts? Yet Violet interacted with Ben with no apparent effort on her part (since she didn't even know she was dead).

Neither did the wife of the Doctor until recently. She was in complete denial.
post #365 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Still, I too am annoyed at the rules they set up and then break at the writers' whims.

How are they doing that? Seems like they've been pretty consistent from the get-go to me.

Well, the ghosts seem to manifest themselves both pre and post-death in their appearance, though maybe they do that as they please. I suppose I am sullen at Tate's almost superhuman invulnerabilty and power whereas in the classic haunting canon ghosts don't seem to actually hurt people. Poltergeists can move things around but that seems to be about it. And the whole impregnation business rankles me too.

But I suppose all this doesn't actually break any of the show's rules. Without Tate murdering everyone he pleases they really wouldn't have a show.

CW Hinkle
post #366 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

Still, I too am annoyed at the rules they set up and then break at the writers' whims.

How are they doing that? Seems like they've been pretty consistent from the get-go to me.

Well, the ghosts seem to manifest themselves both pre and post-death in their appearance, though maybe they do that as they please. I suppose I am sullen at Tate's almost superhuman invulnerability and power whereas in the classic haunting canon ghosts don't seem to actually hurt people. Poltergeists can move things around but that seems to be about it. And the whole impregnation business rankles me too.

But I suppose all this doesn't actually break any of the show's rules. Without Tate murdering everyone he pleases they really wouldn't have a show.

Much the same arguments can be made for vampire and werewolf stories. You're talking about something that doesn't exist, so you can fashion whatever mythology you wish that advances your story. Same as sci-fi.

In this case, ghosts can take corporeal form and project whatever image they desire in their interactions with the living. I'm fine with all that as long as those rules are applied consistently. I ask only to be entertained.

But the fact that they can leave the property only on Halloween is the only thing that really causes me to roll my eyes. That's like saying the rules are being made up by Dr. Frank N. Furter.
post #367 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Much the same arguments can be made for vampire and werewolf stories. You're talking about something that doesn't exist, so you can fashion whatever mythology you wish that advances your story. Same as sci-fi.

In this case, ghosts can take corporeal form and project whatever image they desire in their interactions with the living. I'm fine with all that as long as those rules are applied consistently. I ask only to be entertained.

But the fact that they can leave the property only on Halloween is the only thing that really causes me to roll my eyes. That's like saying the rules are being made up by Dr. Frank N. Furter.

Not really... Halloween/All-Hallows Eve is considered to be the one day of the year that the dead roam free in tons and tons of real-world mythology, not something the show made up.

I have no issues with shows and movies setting up whatever fantastical worlds they want, with whatever crazy rules they want. I only ask that they stick to the rules they create (or at least supply a plausible reason why it's ok for those rules to be broken in specific situations).

That's one thing I REALLY REALLY liked about the Matrix. Impossible physics are a pet peeve of mine. In the Matrix movies, the characters in the virtual world broke the normal rules of physics left and right, but at least they explained why it was possible for them to do so.
post #368 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
The actual house is for sale in Los Angels.

http://www.trulia.com/property/photo...-90019#item--1

Quote:
Architect Alfred Rosenheim moved from St. Louis to Los Angeles in 1903 to oversee construction of his downtown Hellman Building (now lofts), and around 1908 he designed and built this six bedroom house for himself, it includes a three-story main house and a detached ballroom, which was "formerly a chapel" and is "currently used as a recording studio." The house is decked out in Tiffany, with stained glass windows, light fixtures, leaded-glass display cases, "a museum-quality set of Tiffany glass doors," a formal dining room, six Batchelder tile fireplaces, and a solarium, because turn of the century architects knew how to live.

post #369 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 495
quote: Architect Alfred Rosenheim moved from St. Louis to Los Angeles in 1903 to oversee construction of his downtown Hellman Building (now lofts), and around 1908 he designed and built this six bedroom house for himself, it includes a three-story main house and a detached ballroom, which was "formerly a chapel" and is "currently used as a recording studio." The house is decked out in Tiffany, with stained glass windows, light fixtures, leaded-glass display cases, "a museum-quality set of Tiffany glass doors," a formal dining room, six Batchelder tile fireplaces, and a solarium, because turn of the century architects knew how to live.

As opposed to turn of this century architects who, due to the collapse of the construction industry during The Great Recession, are just trying to figure out how to keep living. And eating.

That is a stunning house, no doubt - all that carved, curved stone window trim, etc. - amazing. Listed for $8.5 million, it says. Probably cost twice that to build something like it today.
post #370 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 66
Great postings on this page.

Oh Architects
I need to send the old architecture firm a Holiday card. I'm sure they would love to hear from me. / off topic. ha
post #371 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

because turn of the century architects knew how to live.

A promotional description like this tells me more about the Realtor than the house. [creeper]
post #372 of 486 Old 12-09-2011, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

Pretty sure that was on Halloween...the one day allowable.

Ahhh, thanks.

post #373 of 486 Old 12-10-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

Seeing the pictures makes me realize the set designers for the interior sets of the house really did a great job of maintaining the character of the original house, even using some of the actual elements from it.

It's kind of refreshing considering interior sets seldom look anything like the actual location they are meant to portray.
post #374 of 486 Old 12-10-2011, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 55
$8,500,000 and no gazebo?

No thanks.
post #375 of 486 Old 12-10-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

$8,500,000 and no gazebo?

No thanks.

I'm disappointed by the biggest qualifier of all:

*Ghosts not included...

I want to be on the murder house tour if I'm going to pay that much for a really old house...
post #376 of 486 Old 12-10-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

very, very cool ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #377 of 486 Old 12-12-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Well, now that the people who thought the maid somehow survived that bullet through the eye, know she didn't live to be an old lady.

There does seem to be a major issue with how the deceased look in the present. Some show no signs of their cause of death, while others are still smoldering. I'm sure it's a stylistic choice, but it's still weird.

Well I guess I was wrong on that one. I don't have a problem with rules that are made up as the story progresses; but please stick to those rules. The idea that the ghosts look as they choose is a bit iffy to me. I mean, the kids are going to want to go around as burn victims for the rest of their existence? I have a hard time believing so. This show has lots of issues but I'm still enjoying it for the the "WTF" moments and Jessica Lange. She is awesome.

post #378 of 486 Old 12-12-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post

Well I guess I was wrong on that one. I don't have a problem with rules that are made up as the story progresses; but please stick to those rules. The idea that the ghosts look as they choose is a bit iffy to me. I mean, the kids are going to want to go around as burn victims for the rest of their existence? I have a hard time believing so. This show has lots of issues but I'm still enjoying it for the the "WTF" moments and Jessica Lange. She is awesome.

At least a component of the ghost's appearance relates to the character/perception of the person viewing the ghost. Recall how all the lady folk see the maid as an old woman, but the frisky men all see her as the young hottie - until - the dad 'began to see things as they really are", or however the maid worded it when he saw her as an old woman for the first time.
post #379 of 486 Old 12-12-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Which leads one to this inevitable question: when a ghost eats food, does it process it as a living person would and, ummm, eliminate the waste? Ghost poop! Now, that's scary!

I don't think they showed Violet actually eating after she died. She was at the table, but it didn't look like she had touched her food. That was the first thing that clued me into the fact she might be dead.
post #380 of 486 Old 12-12-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

At least a component of the ghost's appearance relates to the character/perception of the person viewing the ghost. Recall how all the lady folk see the maid as an old woman, but the frisky men all see her as the young hottie - until - the dad 'began to see things as they really are", or however the maid worded it when he saw her as an old woman for the first time.

My guess is, based on the component of how others perceive the ghosts is that the girls didn't see each other as being burnt - only their father did because of his guilt.
post #381 of 486 Old 12-14-2011, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Season Finale episode titled "Birth" is tonight. Going to be awesome.

I don't want this show to stop for the season
ha
post #382 of 486 Old 12-14-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Actually tonight is the second last episode.

Argee
post #383 of 486 Old 12-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

Ok, so is EVERYBODY going to be dead by the end of the season??
post #384 of 486 Old 12-14-2011, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

Yeah, I was mistaken. That's actually a good thing

Tonight's episode was intense. Why leave the area of the hospital? Having the baby in the house was such a bad idea.

Quote:

Ok, so is EVERYBODY going to be dead by the end of the season??

I laughed. If Mr. Harmon dies, then the family could all live together.
post #385 of 486 Old 12-14-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Not sure how I feel about this episode. For some reason it felt cut short. I think I am going to wait until next week to pass judgment.
post #386 of 486 Old 12-14-2011, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 301
I thought this was the finale too. Oh well.

So stuff happened. In fact so much stuff is happening there won't be much mystery left for next season. I liked the Roanoke segment; the actual ghost stories are my favorite parts. The rest of the show in present day is in danger of becoming Ghosts of Our Lives. It's far removed from the paranormal mindf**k that was in the first few episodes now.

I have figured out the purpose of the house however. It's forcing the spirits to assemble it's own on-call service team to keep the household running! So far we know it's recruited doctors and nurses, home decorators, a pest controller and a maid. Maybe it's already managed to acquire a plumber, cable TV installer, carpenter and IT guy. Next year we might see those and a roofer, glazier, chef, mechanic, piano tuner, gardener ... added to it's employee list.

post #387 of 486 Old 12-14-2011, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 301
And Thaddeus is another occupant with different rules. Is he dead or alive? If he's a un/dead baby then why is he old? If he's alive is it because he's a Frankenbaby and existed this long feeding on blood? In which case, huh? Did he die after living a long time on a diet of blood?

post #388 of 486 Old 12-15-2011, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I have figured out the purpose of the house however. It's forcing the spirits to assemble it's own on-call service team to keep the household running! So far we know it's recruited doctors and nurses, home decorators, a pest controller and a maid. Maybe it's already managed to acquire a plumber, cable TV installer, carpenter and IT guy. Next year we might see those and a roofer, glazier, chef, mechanic, piano tuner, gardener ... added to it's employee list.

Ha, that's pretty good. I can see where you're coming from. They "pop up" at just the right time to help somebody.

What was the relationship with the psychiatrist/fortune teller and Tate?
They seemed to clash pretty hard. I can only assume he killed her at one point. ha
post #389 of 486 Old 12-15-2011, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 136
So the only people alive right now is the make owner and the neighbor. Wow, wayyyy to many ghosts in this show.

post #390 of 486 Old 12-15-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I really don't believe Mr Harmon will die, but instead run away, by the end of the finale. That way the show doesn't have to pay D.McDermott to come back next season. Jessica Lange is the best part of this show, hopefully she'll remain on it throughout the show's existence
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page