post #451 of 486 Old 12-23-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

It's amazing the number of people who apparently aren't intelligent enough to grasp that highly advanced concept isn't it?

ron

To be honest, I sat through 3 seasons of 2+1/2 Men before figuring it out.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 486 Old 12-23-2011, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My point was that after watching the whole season, the finale turned into a bad rendition of Beetlejuice and I found it to be quite disappointing.

Apparently some people aren't intelligent enough to make that connection.
post #453 of 486 Old 12-23-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Personally, I like the idea of a reboot every season. I thought the first season was quite well written, plotted, and acted and with that foundation, there are many avenues of horror from which they can develop intriguing seasons. Obviously Jessica Lange needs to come back as some character every year. I think a complete reboot every year will keep things very fresh and motivating to watch.
post #454 of 486 Old 12-23-2011, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnis View Post

My point was that after watching the whole season, the finale turned into a bad rendition of Beetlejuice and I found it to be quite disappointing.

Apparently some people aren't intelligent enough to make that connection.

post #455 of 486 Old 12-24-2011, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

It's amazing the number of people who apparently aren't intelligent enough to grasp that highly advanced concept isn't it?

ron

OK, smart guy - how 'bout you explain how it is possible to "turn" a channel nowadays.
post #456 of 486 Old 12-24-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

OK, smart guy - how 'bout you explain how it is possible to "turn" a channel nowadays.

Well, we could turn the TV off. That turns the channel off as well..

Bobby 

post #457 of 486 Old 12-24-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 621
I thought the finale wrapped up the season pretty well .. and yes, Lange should have a recurring role .. with the baby ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #458 of 486 Old 12-24-2011, 08:42 AM

Liked: 18
Excellent news on the reboot each season. I wasn't going to keep watching this figuring this was going to become an unwatchable mess like what happened to Ryan Murphy's other shows Nip/Tuck and Glee. Now I'm definitely going to tune in next year.
post #459 of 486 Old 12-24-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

New house, new residents next season!

That means fans may or may not get another fix from stars like Jessica Lange, Dylan McDermott, and Connie Britton when the drama returns next year. Some of them will be coming back, Murphy teased during a teleconference today. I'm talking to several of them and we're in negotiations. There will be familiar faces, but there will also be new faces on the show.

Murphy hopes to announce the new storyline and cast in February.

Should some of the first season actors return for another round of AHS episodes, they'll be playing completely different characters, creatures, and monsters, Murphy added. It's a really fun idea to do an anthology show. That's the way it was designed from the beginning. Every season, there will be a new haunting and we'll have a new overriding theme.
But the mansion is definitely history, Murphy admitted. The set was already struck to move onward and upward. So long, original craftsman fixtures and solid oak floors!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/12/22/am...ory-season-tw/

And an interview about the finale here:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/12/22/am...season-finale/

That story just says "new locale" so I'm hoping it's not a haunted house. Like the reboot idea, but would prefer if it's not just another haunted house. There are lots of "horror" aspects they could do besides that.
post #460 of 486 Old 12-24-2011, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Although I found American Horror Story intriguing, I also found the second half of the season lacking in . . . horror. Once the "ghosts" were revealed, then it turned into a soap opera of sorts as they battled amongst themselves over control. The intensity and suspense of the first few episodes as things moved around the house and as the family lurked down in the basement was completely lost.

I was entertained by the story and the characters, but I certainly wasn't nervous or scared about what was happening on screen. It deserved its "M" rating for the sexuality and violence, but there really was no horror. I am hoping that with the second season, they can maintain some intensity and horror all the way through the episodes. In fact, the horror should actually climax toward the end similar to a good horror movie. That didn't happen at all in the first season.
post #461 of 486 Old 12-26-2011, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I have to agree with ricwhite. I joined this thread late because I was too busy watching the show. Those early episodes were scary.. and creepy!

In fact, it was the creepiness that got me hooked. Right up until they revealed who was wearing the rubber suit. For me that was a big let down, because up till then he was an unknown and threatening character.

Once I knew it was Tate, a kid who, although he had done horrible things, was neither creepy nor scary, Rubber man became neither creepy nor scary.

At first AHS was a story about a family threatened by unknown danger. Later it was a soap opera about damaged people with personal issues who happened to be ghosts. They posed a threat, but no more of a threat than I'm likely to experience by the living.

One aspect of horror is that the audience needs to feel the main characters are in peril. Remember the scene where Violet lured the high school bitch down to the basement? I closed my eyes through most of that.

Once they turned the main characters into ghosts, any threat was removed, along with any horror.

I also agree with others that the final was Beetlejuice with a touch of Omen. In fact, the final shot of AHS is the final shot of the original Omen.

It's still one of a very few shows I have to watch the night it airs. I was just hoping it would return to the horror part, or at least the creepy part.

One question though, what scene was the producer referring to when he said while editing it he had to keep closing his eyes? I didn't find any scene in the final creepy. Did I blink?
post #462 of 486 Old 12-26-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I will definitely give season 2 a shot to see what they do and how they work this out. I sure hope its not just another familty that every one dies and its 200 ghosts now in the house. The little demon kid is way more interesting then anything else on the show.

post #463 of 486 Old 12-26-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I would like AHS to depart from the "haunted house" setting and investigate a completely new setting. Maybe the setting could be a remote fishing village where evil creatures lurk in the water and come out at night to terrorize the villagers. Let's make it scary, violent, and suspenseful all the way through. Let's have some good character development of some of the villagers and an intriguing story with good sub-plots. But most of all, it should be terrifying. There are so many possible settings and story lines for the horror genre. I hope the writers can be creative.
post #464 of 486 Old 12-26-2011, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

I would like AHS to depart from the "haunted house" setting and investigate a completely new setting. Maybe the setting could be a remote fishing village where evil creatures lurk in the water and come out at night to terrorize the villagers. Let's make it scary, violent, and suspenseful all the way through. Let's have some good character development of some of the villagers and an intriguing story with good sub-plots. But most of all, it should be terrifying. There are so many possible settings and story lines for the horror genre. I hope the writers can be creative.

Yep. I hope it's not another haunted house. Lots of horror aspects they could explore. And please don't be zombies or vampires.
post #465 of 486 Old 12-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Yep. I hope it's not another haunted house. Lots of horror aspects they could explore. And please don't be zombies or vampires.

We weren't interested in doing another season with all those people trapped in that house. The criticism would have been that it's always the same old thing.

Among the differences set for next season, Murphy noted the story would move from its Los Angeles setting and create a new opening title sequence that is unique to the new property. Meanwhile, things that will remain the same include the writing staff, and the inclusion of true crime stories like the Black Dahlia - in addition to a new set of creatures and horror monsters similar to Rubber Man and the Infantata.

There are all different types of American horror stories to tell serial killers, true crime stories, prison stories, Murphy noted. Every year of the show is almost like a miniseries and could be completely and radically different show. I wouldn't do a season about vampires, but other than that everything is fair game.

The season we're planning now is very different from the California house approach."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...son-two-276097
post #466 of 486 Old 12-27-2011, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

There is supposed to be a clue in the last three episodes to what next season is about. Any ideas?

post #467 of 486 Old 12-27-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

One question though, what scene was the producer referring to when he said while editing it he had to keep closing his eyes? I didn't find any scene in the final creepy. Did I blink?

I kept thinking the same thing.

Considering this quote came from Ryan Murphy, it wouldn't surprise me if the scene in question was the new owners about to have sex in the kitchen.

Draw your own conclusions as to what I'm implying there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #468 of 486 Old 12-27-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Agree with most of the negative comments above. I guess the startling scene they were referring to was Ben getting hung by the Hayden faction of house ghosts. Guess it scared the producers a lot more than the viewers. Sure didn't seem to bother Ben much - he turned into a spectral version of Mike Brady.

This reminds me of a number of high-concept shows that have loads of potential but just don't - or can't - deliver the goods. The problem with 'American Horror Story' was a tragic lack of horror, especially in the later episodes. They better do a serious re-boot on this show next season.

Or, here's an idea: bring back 'American Gothic'. Or at least watch that show to see how horror on TV should be done.
post #469 of 486 Old 12-27-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Funny you mention American Gothic. Just finished watching that on Hulu (again, as I watched it when it originally aired as well). Great show.
post #470 of 486 Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Agree with most of the negative comments above. I guess the startling scene they were referring to was Ben getting hung by the Hayden faction of house ghosts. Guess it scared the producers a lot more than the viewers. Sure didn't seem to bother Ben much - he turned into a spectral version of Mike Brady.

This reminds me of a number of high-concept shows that have loads of potential but just don't - or can't - deliver the goods. The problem with 'American Horror Story' was a tragic lack of horror, especially in the later episodes. They better do a serious re-boot on this show next season.

Or, here's an idea: bring back 'American Gothic'. Or at least watch that show to see how horror on TV should be done.

I am thinking it was more the baby boy smeared with blood, laughing, and the eerie music, whistling in the background. It was certainly creepy.
post #471 of 486 Old 12-28-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
eerie music, whistling in the background.

Bernard Herrmann, from Twisted Nerve.

I liked the series. Still, the horror diminished as the season went on, though people easily scared would have probably continued to be so. But by then they probably would have no longer been watching either.

CW Hinkle
post #472 of 486 Old 12-28-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Myself, I found the freshman series to be fairly consistent throughout, horror wise .. taking into consideration that once the new wears off (2-4 episodes) .. anything seems more bland ..

The first few of anything you enjoy is always more savory ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #473 of 486 Old 12-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Got me hooked on HAlloween with the first 4 episodes, then i realized it would head South as there wasn't much more to do and the story was just going to get twisted up....

I snoozed through the last few episodes, didn't even realize the daughter was dead...lol
Quote:

Much the same arguments can be made for vampire and werewolf stories. You're talking about something that doesn't exist, so you can fashion whatever mythology you wish that advances your story. Same as sci-fi.

Wow wow wow wow back up the truck here..........

.......so you are saying that ghosts don't exist? What's going on around here

post #474 of 486 Old 12-29-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post

Wow wow wow wow back up the truck here..........

.......so you are saying that ghosts don't exist? What's going on around here

Well, they certainly exist on the Syfy Channel. Makes up half its schedule.
post #475 of 486 Old 12-29-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:

Well, they certainly exist on the Syfy Channel. Makes up half its schedule.

Seems appropriate, seeing as how most cable networks are ghosts of their original selves...

post #476 of 486 Old 12-29-2011, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Was anyone scared at any point during this show? For that matter is anyone scared by anything "horror" on television?

I haven't been scared by a movie or television show since I saw The Haunting when I was about ten years old. American Gothic while a good show was never scary either. It was more fantastical than frightening. With mean sheriffs, comedy Bruce Campbell bug story, Caleb and his supernatural powers, Merlyn (Sarah Paulson once again) as the good fairy ghost ... it was almost a dark version of Once Upon a Time!

AHS would never be scary for me so that was a non-issue. I wanted weird, bizarre, unsettling and different, so the finale succeeded there. It went out as oddly as it came in.

post #477 of 486 Old 12-30-2011, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

eerie music, whistling in the background.

Bernard Herrmann, from Twisted Nerve.

What, you mean it wasn't KILL BILL?!?!?!

post #478 of 486 Old 12-30-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

We weren't interested in doing another season with all those people trapped in that house. The criticism would have been that it's always the same old thing.

Among the differences set for next season, Murphy noted the story would move from its Los Angeles setting and create a new opening title sequence that is unique to the new property. Meanwhile, things that will remain the same include the writing staff, and the inclusion of true crime stories like the Black Dahlia - in addition to a new set of creatures and horror monsters similar to Rubber Man and the Infantata.

There are all different types of American horror stories to tell serial killers, true crime stories, prison stories, Murphy noted. Every year of the show is almost like a miniseries and could be completely and radically different show. I wouldn't do a season about vampires, but other than that everything is fair game.

The season we're planning now is very different from the California house approach."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...son-two-276097

Infantana! That's horrible. My co-workers and I called it Rat-baby. That's a much better name. They didn't really do enough with that character for me.

I guess it would still be "American Horror Story", singular, if they plan to follow Lange's character with the kid. I just find the idea less interesting then what already transpired.
post #479 of 486 Old 12-30-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhil View Post

I guess it would still be "American Horror Story", singular, if they plan to follow Lange's character with the kid. I just find the idea less interesting then what already transpired.

I can't see why they'd want to do that anyway. The big conceit of the show was that the ghosts were permanently confined to the house property where they were killed. If Lange leaves with the demon-kid to haunt a new location, then it's a new ball game. Why bother to have any connection with the original?

OTOH, I'd hate to see less of Connie Britton. Love to see her back in some capacity. Love even more to see her front in some capacity!
post #480 of 486 Old 12-30-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Was anyone scared at any point during this show?...

I never found it to be scary, so I stopped expecting it. But I enjoyed the series.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page