"American Horror Story" on FX HD - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 486 Old 10-05-2011, 10:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 346
If nothing else, it's different than the rest of the stuff out there right now. I'll keep watching as long as they keep the crazy stuff interesting to watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 486 Old 10-06-2011, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Dylan McDermott was masturbating in front of a window. Which I thought was funny. Sure, I get the masturbating part but it was an oddly hilarious choice for him to do it standing in the window. He should probably shrink himself next session.

That was really "Rated R". I was surprised.

Quote:

Undead hot/old housekeeper?

That was weird. So I guess "the house" made Dylan see the old lady as a hot young thing?

Quote:

Gimp suit?

So the whole family saw the gimp suit in the attic, right? Then did Vivien Harmon (played by Connie Britton) really have sex with the gimp? Or did "the house" also make her hallucinate? That scene where the gimp was standing in the door-way was really creepy.

Quote:

Why they don't buy more flashlights?

I know, right. Exploring the attic and basement in darkness isn't a good idea.

Quote:

Great opening credits and music. The audio on this show is also excellent. The mix is really clear and the surround is really good during the weirder moments with weird and unsettling audio effects.

I agree. I was jamming out to the opening music. Very well done. Hopefully that opening music/credits is really the standard every week. Cool stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

If nothing else, it's different than the rest of the stuff out there right now. I'll keep watching as long as they keep the crazy stuff interesting to watch.

You’re right about that. Given, I think I rate this show as an A or A+. 9/10
Can’t wait for next week.
post #33 of 486 Old 10-06-2011, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So far I really like it. I always loved creepy old houses. The music really helped the ambiance and creep factor. Plus it has a gimp suit and the "young" maid is hot...
post #34 of 486 Old 10-06-2011, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

I agree. I was jamming out to the opening music. Very well done. Hopefully that opening music/credits is really the standard every week. Cool stuff.

More info about the opening credits.
Even scarier than all this? AHS's opening credits sequence, which EW is exclusively premiering today. The clip, created by Kyle Cooper and his company Prologue who are responsible for the acclaimed openers for Seven and The Walking Dead, is set in the aforementioned basement and not only announces the actors and creators, but provides a backstory for the house. The title sequence is almost like a mystery, says Murphy. By the time you see the ninth episode of this season, every image in that title sequence will be explained. So for example, What are the jars in the basement? What is the mystery of the floating white Christening dress? Why is somebody holding hedge clippers that are bloody? Each time you watch it and you watch the week's episode you'll be able to say, Oh that's why that's in there!'

Meanwhile, the music is also an original song called American Horror Story and was created by sound designer Cesar Davila-Irizarry and musician Charlie Clouser, formerly of Nine Inch Nails. It too incorporates the house, specifically the ambient noises, like dripping water.
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/09/28/am...ening-credits/

You can definitely hear the NiN influences.

post #35 of 486 Old 10-06-2011, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

One thing that struck me while Dylan McDermott was sleepwalking in front of the stove and the neighbor was talking to him:

Maybe none of this is real. Maybe it's all in his head and he's the one that actually set fire to his family (not the other guy) and is laying in a burn ward somewhere under heavy Sedation.

Perhaps that's what his hangup is with fire.
post #36 of 486 Old 10-06-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I concur with most everyone: dark, sick, twisted, unpleasant, but it was hard to look away. Definitely one to stick with (various puns intended).

CW Hinkle
post #37 of 486 Old 10-06-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 66
Quote:

More info about the opening credits.
Even scarier than all this? AHS's opening credits sequence, which EW is exclusively premiering today. The clip, created by Kyle Cooper and his company Prologue who are responsible for the acclaimed openers for Seven and The Walking Dead, is set in the aforementioned basement and not only announces the actors and creators, but provides a backstory for the house. The title sequence is almost like a mystery, says Murphy. By the time you see the ninth episode of this season, every image in that title sequence will be explained. So for example, What are the jars in the basement? What is the mystery of the floating white Christening dress? Why is somebody holding hedge clippers that are bloody? Each time you watch it and you watch the week's episode you'll be able to say, Oh that's why that's in there!'

Meanwhile, the music is also an original song called American Horror Story and was created by sound designer Cesar Davila-Irizarry and musician Charlie Clouser, formerly of Nine Inch Nails. It too incorporates the house, specifically the ambient noises, like dripping water.
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/09/28/am...ening-credits/

You can definitely hear the NiN influences.

Awesome post. Thanks.

Quote:

One thing that struck me while Dylan McDermott was sleepwalking in front of the stove and the neighbor was talking to him:

Maybe none of this is real. Maybe it's all in his head and he's the one that actually set fire to his family (not the other guy) and is laying in a burn ward somewhere under heavy Sedation.

Perhaps that's what his hangup is with fire.

You seen a lot of scary movies?
Good thought.
post #38 of 486 Old 10-06-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I want to give this thing a chance, because there's been so little "horror" programming, and it has its moments.

But I kept thinking throughout this pilot that Ryan/Brad had this sort of writing session:
Ryan: Let's have a developmentally disabled child. We'll be exploiting her, but we can get away with it because I've been sympathetic with similar characters on "Glee."
Brad: Yeah. Think we'll get complaints?
Ryan: It'll be edgy.
Brad: Yeah.
Ryan: Let's have the couple struggle with sex, have a big fight, then make out like bunnies. Then let's have the wife accept her husband in a perverse S&M "gimp suit" for some kinky sex that same night.
Brad: Yeah. That's never been done on TV.
Ryan: Absolutely. It'll be edgy. And then we'll have her know the next morning that she's pregnant, but we won't have them discuss the kinky sex, so he'll remain ignorant of the fact that it's not his baby.
Ryan: Let's have two masturbation scenes. One female, in which we show her hand on her crotch, and one male, in which we show his arm movement then cut to him crying.
Ryan: Absolutely. It'll be edgy.
Brad: But...what will any of it mean?
Ryan: Who cares? It'll be edgy.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #39 of 486 Old 10-06-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

I want to give this thing a chance, because there's been so little "horror" programming, and it has its moments.

But I kept thinking throughout this pilot that Ryan/Brad had this sort of writing session:
Ryan: Let's have a developmentally disabled child. We'll be exploiting her, but we can get away with it because I've been sympathetic with similar characters on "Glee."
Brad: Yeah. Think we'll get complaints?
Ryan: It'll be edgy.
Ryan: Let's have the couple struggle with sex, have a big fight, then make out like bunnies. Then let's have the wife accept her husband in a perverse S&M "gimp suit" for some kinky sex that same night.
Ryan: Absolutely. It'll be edgy. And then we'll have her know the next morning that she's pregnant, but we won't have them discuss the kinky sex, so he'll remain ignorant of the fact that it's not his baby.
Ryan: Let's have two masturbation scenes. One female, in which we show her hand on her crotch, and one male, in which we show his arm movement then cut to him crying.
Ryan: Absolutely. It'll be edgy.
Brad: But...what will any of it mean?
Ryan: Who cares? It'll be edgy.

At least it doesn't go something like:

Procedural Writer #1: "OK, here's the deal - we have a murder."
Procedural Writer #2: "Didn't we do a murder last week?"
Procedural Writer #1: "Yeah, but this one's different. It takes place at a store that specializes in fasteners"
Procedural Writer #2: "Like nuts and screws?"
Procedural Writer #1: "Yep - you're on the same page here. The guy is found with a big spike through his head...."
Procedural Writer #2: "...and, I get you now...we can put in some great one liners, like 'someone really nailed this guy'..."
Procedural Writer #1: "...and 'he was screwed the minute he came in here'..."
Procedural Writer #2: "...and 'I'll bet some nut took him out'..."

Procedural Writer #1 and #2: "Genius!"
post #40 of 486 Old 10-06-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 310
Quote:

Procedural Writer #1: "Yep - you're on the same page here. The guy is found with a big spike through his head...."
Procedural Writer #2: "...and, I get you now...we can put in some great one liners, like 'someone really nailed this guy'..."

Well, I laughed at that.

This show is no American Gothic, but for it's sheer weirdness and lack of immediate boundaries I'll keep watching. If not for resolutions but just to see what else it can throw at the audience.

post #41 of 486 Old 10-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

That was one disturbing show....and I don't get easily disturbed. The one thing I don't like is not knowing what "really" happened and what is just happening in someone's head. Guess that's the point, but hopefully at some point we'll know what's "real" and what's not...

I guess the maid really came onto him since the daughter saw it....I assumed that was definitely in his mind.
post #42 of 486 Old 10-06-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Liked the show so will keep watching. I'm a horror fan anyway. FX usually does not disappoint unless it is some subject I'm not really interested in.
post #43 of 486 Old 10-06-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow. Best new comedy this season. Jessica Lange alone is worth the price of admission.
post #44 of 486 Old 10-06-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc8379 View Post

That was one disturbing show....and I don't get easily disturbed. The one thing I don't like is not knowing what "really" happened and what is just happening in someone's head. Guess that's the point, but hopefully at some point we'll know what's "real" and what's not...

I guess the maid really came onto him since the daughter saw it....I assumed that was definitely in his mind.

Not necessarily. If he hallucinated the maid, his daughter-representing his guilt-could also be a hallucination.
post #45 of 486 Old 10-06-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieB-oz View Post

Not necessarily. If he hallucinated the maid, his daughter-representing his guilt-could also be a hallucination.

Except it appeared the next shot was the daughter's POV showing the "old" maid.
post #46 of 486 Old 10-06-2011, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

All of the residents seem to be hallucinating. Just not necessarily the same things.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #47 of 486 Old 10-06-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

What did the husband say to his wife when he was standing in front of the fire nude? She asked him what he was doing, but I couldn't make out his response.
post #48 of 486 Old 10-06-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

What did the husband say to his wife when he was standing in front of the fire nude? She asked him what he was doing, but I couldn't make out his response.

Maybe something about chestnuts....

Bobby 

post #49 of 486 Old 10-06-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Maybe something about chestnuts....

Ten points.
post #50 of 486 Old 10-06-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

That was weird. So I guess "the house" made Dylan see the old lady as a hot young thing?

Can you say, "redruM"? I thought you could.

Oh, and I thought that joke went, "What did the squirrel say to the virgin?"

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #51 of 486 Old 10-06-2011, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

Except it appeared the next shot was the daughter's POV showing the "old" maid.

10 inernets for you since you caught the quick shot. That shot was nothing compared to the quick spliced shots ala Fight Club. I am going have to go back and watch those scenes again to see what they were flashing so quickly.

Really liked the episode and this has turned into a "season pass" for me.
post #52 of 486 Old 10-07-2011, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I'll probably be wrong, but I'm gonna predict that the Ginger Twins were the sons of the maid.
post #53 of 486 Old 10-07-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I'll probably be wrong, but I'm gonna predict that the Ginger Twins were the sons of the maid.

...possible...

Maybe rubber suit guy is the father since he's obviously not opposed to sex with women...which makes me wonder if the suit actually belonged to one of the gay guys that previously owned the house. Maybe it came with the house when they bought it, too.
post #54 of 486 Old 10-07-2011, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

10 inernets for you since you caught the quick shot.

Haha, it stood out because I remember thinking, "Gawd, what must she be thinking about her dad's choice in women!"
post #55 of 486 Old 10-07-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Watched and [somewhat] enjoyed it, because as I mentioned earlier, there hasn't been a true horror show on TV since 'American Gothic' (with the possible exception of 'Supernatural' as was also mentioned). But my impression was it's kind of jumbled up narratively. Difficult to follow. For instance, how much time elapsed between the sex scene with Vivian & the gimp and her assertion that she's preggers? I mean, who knows they've been knocked up the very next day?

And did Violet actually see her dad and the maid getting cozy, or was it just all in Ben's head? There were no repercussions of that incident so I'm guessing the latter.

More questions than answers for me, which is not unusual in a premiere episode of a serialized show. My main complaint right now is how disjointed and abrupt the scenes were. The narrative didn't flow very well, IMO. Maybe that will improve as we get further into the series, or maybe that's the intentional style of the show and we'll just have to get used to it.
post #56 of 486 Old 10-07-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Finally watched it. Mixed feelings. Was pretty good with the twins at the beginning, but then since they don't really explain anything, it started to loose me. Not that I don't understand what they are showing/depicting, but more along the lines of without really knowing what the meaning is behind things, I don't know if I care or not.

F/X really pushed the envelope for a cable show, that was borderline, but in a good way.

I wish I knew why the guy saw the girl instead of the old lady, who the guy in the leather was, why that kid channeled an old crazy lady, etc. etc. I know they MAY explain this later, but without it, I didn't find it as enjoyable as I could.

I have a two word solution for them that would help. Door Locks.

When that old neighbor said if you touch my daughter again I will break your arm, I would of immediately responded, and if you come into my house without an invitation I will put a bullet in your head.

post #57 of 486 Old 10-07-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 92
BTW, I got a real kick out of Jessica Lange's nosy typical LA neighbor character.
post #58 of 486 Old 10-07-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

For instance, how much time elapsed between the sex scene with Vivian & the gimp and her assertion that she's preggers? I mean, who knows they've been knocked up the very next day?

Gimps have strong swimmers.
post #59 of 486 Old 10-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Gimps have strong swimmers.

She had sex with her husband that same day, right? So there's no reason to assume that the gimp is the father...I was also confused by the time frame...it would have to be at least a couple of weeks for her to know she was pregnant, right? And usually longer than that, especially if you're not trying/paying attention.
post #60 of 486 Old 10-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

... and then Dylan McDermott was masturbating in front of a window. Which I thought was funny. Sure, I get the masturbating part but it was an oddly hilarious choice for him to do it standing in the window. He should probably shrink himself next session.

This reminded me of an old bit I heard Dave Attell do..."You know, there's a big difference between masturbating while looking OUT a window and masturbating while looking IN a window. One is much more illegal...
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page