post #61 of 2168 Old 09-27-2011, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

60 Minutes tonite just removed any doubt as to just how much of this show is fact. It all is as far as the data gathering and data analysis goes, at least in NYC.

And all of it has no oversight, no accountability and no legality. I've read how NYPD's racial profiling and monitoring are so illegal even the FBI refused to use their data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2168 Old 09-27-2011, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
It was fast paced but a little too unbelievable for me, particularly the gun play. I was going to give it another shot but can't due to a dual tuner conflict and two other shows I think I'll like more. Not bad by any means, it will be interesting to see how it does
post #63 of 2168 Old 09-27-2011, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I enjoyed the premiere. I will stick with it for awhile. Jim's character was much more of a bad a** then I thought he was going to be. Made the show much more enjoyable.

post #64 of 2168 Old 09-27-2011, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The data collection and analysis in the show mirrors what's going in this country. In the show, we were even told that the machine built to analyze the data was built after 9/11. It stands to reason that human shooting and combat skill would still be the same. In real life, bad guys don't just drop their guns after they are shot in the legs. They shoot back.

I hope this show won't turn into a two-men vigilante team, because that would be boring real fast.
post #65 of 2168 Old 09-27-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

60 Minutes tonite just removed any doubt as to just how much of this show is fact. It all is as far as the data gathering and data analysis goes, at least in NYC.

Missed that because (as usual) the football game ran over. Caught it on CBS.com and was impressed by the system's ability to, in a second, show everyone on the streets wearing a red shirt. Assuming it's coupled with the best current facial-ID software, seems it could also alert for known or suspected bad guys. The show implies something like this with its constant zooming in (superimposed squares) on pedestrian video images. Also remarkable for the real NYC surveillance: supersensitive remote radiation sensors that trigger on folks in the distance that have undergone medical radiation treatments. But can also picture upcoming congressional hearings, after the next attack, when they're asked how they could have overlooked the terrorist's obscure tactic. -- John
post #66 of 2168 Old 09-27-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

And all of it has no oversight, no accountability and no legality. I've read how NYPD's racial profiling and monitoring are so illegal even the FBI refused to use their data.

Where did you read this?

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #67 of 2168 Old 09-27-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Yes, the final shots, rows of supercomputers, presumably NSA's, digesting worldwide data, might be hard to comprehend application-wise. Suspect they'll keep the data analysis techniques, gleaned through the back-door code left by the system's creator, vague. Recall some similar fictional vagueness during ABC's "Lost" when they hinted how the island could be moved by slipping in the term, "Casimir effect," implying a fictional zero-point (or dark) energy application.

Mused about the court room trick with the recorder, too. But then, with all the electronic gadgetry in use, and noticing the lead "007" character was in the court, suppose you could reason he pressed a Blue-tooth remote that switched in his miniature digitally stored recording planted earlier within the machine. With a multi-parter they would have had time to slip in a sequence for a break-in and installing the hardware. Agree the shoot-'em-up leg-wounding scene seemed a bit much. But then recalled some of the trick-shooter documentaries on Discovery, etc., where experts rattle off pistol shots--and hit targets--so quickly it sounds like a machine gun. Maybe a good time to have shot the scene for slow motion delivery. Didn't notice the lead character searched a location without gloves. But then given the expertise they're trying to project, viewers might assume he routinely wouldn't touch anything that would leave a print--or wiped it before leaving. Social-security number coding? Assumed here there's tons of data in the background for each and that's just a label for each name. -- John

He hid the body of a guy he killed earlier somewhere else in the trunk of a police car in a police parking lot. How do you think he did that? Perhaps he used an invisible Blue-tooth enabled beam-me-up machine to do that?
post #68 of 2168 Old 09-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
post #69 of 2168 Old 09-27-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Quote:

Liked the show. But it's a scary thought when you stop and think that this is probably what's happening as far as the data analysis goes after 9/11.

This IS exactly what's happening.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
post #70 of 2168 Old 09-27-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

Some good points made. I thought the first episode was a good start. I will stick around to see where it goes from here.

Very fair approach. I too am so undecided, and I wanted to like it.

I hope this is not another "THE NINE" which some critics labeled as the best show of the year and was gone leaving the viewer hanging.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #71 of 2168 Old 09-27-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

Good to know that the FBI 10 years after 9/11 is still firewalling themselves from information that could save American lives. Remember the rulings preventing the CIA and FBI from exchanging data pre 9/11? I do. PC Uber Alles!
post #72 of 2168 Old 09-28-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This show is unbelievable ... and I think the writers/producers inherently know this, which is why they were spoon-feeding information and answers to us. Good mysteries don't have to tell you what's mysterious about the show, they assume the audience is smart enough to figure it out.

Also think this show will be too episodic, and not serialized enough. Probably the producers shying away from the inevitable backlash that occurs when viewers of serials don't get the proper resolution upon cancelation. Also let's new viewers jump in at any time, preventing the rating ceiling that can happen to long running serials.

I'll give it exactly one more episode before I cancel the season pass. It better get better.
post #73 of 2168 Old 09-28-2011, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

All those cameras, machine and technology apparently aren't beneficial to the police in this show. At the police station, the female detective offered Reese some water, then extracted his fingerprints from the cup. Right away a match came up. He was involved in a bunch of crimes. At this point we have to question just how a super badass guy like Reese would be so careless as to leave his prints behind in all these crimes.

Anyway, back to the police. Finding a match in the system would give them a name and a face. Yet they couldn't find this guy with the thousand of cameras and facial recognition software. I just hate it when there are so many holes in the details.
post #74 of 2168 Old 09-28-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I already can tell the female police officer pursuiting him for the crimes is going to annoy me.

They got a match on the fingerprints being at other crime scenes, but that doesn't mean that the fingerprint is in the system to match it up to a name. So that part actually does make sense. These were probably things done while working for the CIA and without his prints being in the system they would never figure out who he was anyways. The one part that bugged me was her pursuiting him outside of the police office and then for no rational reason just watching him walk away down the street.
post #75 of 2168 Old 09-28-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphish View Post

Also think this show will be too episodic, and not serialized enough. Probably the producers shying away from the inevitable backlash that occurs when viewers of serials don't get the proper resolution upon cancelation. Also let's new viewers jump in at any time, preventing the rating ceiling that can happen to long running serials.

Never underestimate the American public's unquenchable thirst for mediocrity, i.e. formulaic doc/cop procedurals. CBS hasn't, and it's a solid gold strategy. Complex, intelligent, densely plotted serials that resemble long-form novels now only survive on basic or premium cable where ratings expectations are lower. It's the dumbed-down world we live in now; get used to it.
post #76 of 2168 Old 09-28-2011, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Jeez, all we've seen is a pilot. You guys making predictions about how it's not going to be serialized enough, how unrealistic it is (ever watch 24?), how intelligence gathering is possible, but not shared by various gov't agencies...need to either stop watching or watch and see if it gets better. I thought it was interesting and has potential...maybe not...maybe so, but I'm not calling it and certainly not complaining...yet.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #77 of 2168 Old 09-29-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Jeez, all we've seen is a pilot. You guys making predictions about how it's not going to be serialized enough, how unrealistic it is (ever watch 24?), how intelligence gathering is possible, but not shared by various gov't agencies...need to either stop watching or watch and see if it gets better. I thought it was interesting and has potential...maybe not...maybe so, but I'm not calling it and certainly not complaining...yet.

Agreed. Compared to most of the slop on TV it was at least interesting. Remember, it's just TV!
post #78 of 2168 Old 09-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

How can you not love a depressed homeless bum operating under no rules shooting people in the leg with guns, and a bored rich dork!?

post #79 of 2168 Old 09-29-2011, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

All those cameras, machine and technology apparently aren't beneficial to the police in this show. At the police station, the female detective offered Reese some water, then extracted his fingerprints from the cup. Right away a match came up. He was involved in a bunch of crimes. At this point we have to question just how a super badass guy like Reese would be so careless as to leave his prints behind in all these crimes.

Anyway, back to the police. Finding a match in the system would give them a name and a face. Yet they couldn't find this guy with the thousand of cameras and facial recognition software. I just hate it when there are so many holes in the details.

Redacted
post #80 of 2168 Old 09-30-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I believe the second episode aired last night. I don't know for sure because I didn't record it.

But the lack of discussion here on the board says something about Person (i.e. Lack) of Interest, me thinks.
post #81 of 2168 Old 09-30-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphish View Post

I believe the second episode aired last night. I don't know for sure because I didn't record it.

But the lack of discussion here on the board says something about Person (i.e. Lack) of Interest, me thinks.

I saw it and enjoyed it.

My Maelstrom-18" EGG build.
post #82 of 2168 Old 09-30-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I watched the pilot and recorded last nights' 2nd ep for later. The pilot was decent and I can make the basic leap to suspension of 'some' disbelief to allow the plot to continue. They managed to stuff a lot of back story/exposition into a short spurt to get the story rolling and I can accept that as well, vs a plodding beginning showing the details of the characters' backgrounds and how (apparently) quickly Caviezel changes course and willingly joins the scheme. My problem is more with Caviezel the actor than the character - I found him flat and unconvincing, almost a somnolent replay of his Jesus role except with guns. I can think of many more animated actors for that pivotal role than this guy.

While many of the tech miracles are accurate or close, a few are obviously overdone to allow resolution of difficult plots developments. Again, I can live with those as long as they are done intelligently. I'll watch some more and have some measure of hope for it. Though honestly, I'm not a procedural fan at all, quickly dropped Unforgettable and if this becomes mostly procedural with simply more high-tech, I won't last.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #83 of 2168 Old 09-30-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I enjoyed this one too. There are certainly procedural elements now, but we'll see if the backstory reveals tie in to a serialized arc. I suspect it will. In the meantime, it's got my interest. I've watched Unforgettable and find it ok, but will probably tire of the redhead shortly.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #84 of 2168 Old 09-30-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Yeah, I enjoyed the episode as well. I think the back story, and they mystery behind the rich guy was interesting. They supplied enough information to let me know the show is not about "the mystery" it is about these two weird guys doing good.
post #85 of 2168 Old 09-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Well what really stood out in episode 2 was the hero getting his butt kicked in the Laundromat fight....Probably gave away too much already. The Bad guy was a bad a**. Jack Bauer didn't lose a fight until year 3...
post #86 of 2168 Old 09-30-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I watched last nights episode and found it enjoyable. I really like Emerson. I think he does an excellent job with the character. I have never seen James act, so I can't comment whether it his acting or the character. I am going to stick with it if for no other reason then that there is nothing else on Thu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

It was fast paced but a little too unbelievable for me, particularly the gun play. I was going to give it another shot but can't due to a dual tuner conflict and two other shows I think I'll like more. Not bad by any means, it will be interesting to see how it does

Please don't say Secret Circle and Grey's Anatomy, unless you are a chick.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #87 of 2168 Old 09-30-2011, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I watched last nights episode. Some high tech gimmickry wrapped around a plot taken from an old Rockford Files.

Ironically, given all the high tech data retrieval and analysis, the information they need is in some cops manilla folder.

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
post #88 of 2168 Old 09-30-2011, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

Please don't say Secret Circle and Grey's Anatomy, unless you are a chick.

Secret Circle and Whitney, but after this weeks stinker Whitney has been removed from recording, I've put Person of Interest back in the lineup Never seen a Grey's Anatomy.
post #89 of 2168 Old 09-30-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Good second episode, IMO. It has made the series recording level on the DVR. Kinda interested where the Finch backstory looks to be headed.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #90 of 2168 Old 10-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If they keep him too invincible, the stories will quickly get boring because there's no suspense, right now he easily wins every fight, shows up at the last second to save the day, etc.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page