post #1171 of 2330 Old 05-07-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

It has been a slow, but steady climb for Person of Interest, but unlike J.J. Abrams "other" show, POI has gradually become one of the best shows on television. I do agree that the machine's method of recovering it's memory is impractical and illogical, but I can overlook that (and Jim Caviezel's "Jack Donaghy" voice and late model Steven Segal fighting wink.gif ) for the terrific layer upon layer of fascinating mystery and character revelations (Finch is not quite what he seems).

This show is too good for CBS

Were FRINGE still on the air, I would have a serious disagreement with you regarding Abrams' "other show". wink.gif

REVOLUTION (which I assume you mean) is a nice distraction, but not the strongest show JJ has had a hand in.

And yes, POI is too good when compared to the other current CBS dramas.
videobruce likes this.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 2330 Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm with you on Fringe, but you are far too kind to Revolution...

Robert Clark
post #1173 of 2330 Old 05-08-2013, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

...Too bad the virus disrupted The Machine's operation so badly last month that the Boston bombing was missed.

The machine apparently only predicts murders in the metropolitan New York area.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #1174 of 2330 Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

The Machine was designed to predict any terrorist threat to the US. The crimes against individuals was a by-product, first back doored to Finch's partner's laptop.
post #1175 of 2330 Old 05-08-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

The machine knows where Finch is. Why would he give him a number in another country or city? He is helping Finch save the people he can. Giviing him a number to someone outside the city is just going to delay the inevitable. The numbers given are in immediate danger usually, not a day trip away.

post #1176 of 2330 Old 05-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

The machine knows where Finch is. Why would he give him a number in another country or city? He is helping Finch save the people he can. Giviing him a number to someone outside the city is just going to delay the inevitable. The numbers given are in immediate danger usually, not a day trip away.

You're missing the point of the original comment. The Boston bombing was a terrorist act that the government wants the machine to predict. This would be a front door communication to the government, not a back door to Finch. The real answer is that the machine is fictional and can't predict the real world.
post #1177 of 2330 Old 05-08-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

I'm with you on Fringe, but you are far too kind to Revolution...

Being a fan of Elizabeth Mitchell's rack during her LOST days allows me to grade Revolution on a curve of sorts. wink.gif

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #1178 of 2330 Old 05-09-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnacleBill View Post

The real answer is that the machine is fictional and can't predict the real world.
Wait!!! You mean Person of Interest isn't a documentary?!?!?!
post #1179 of 2330 Old 05-09-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Wait!!! You mean Person of Interest isn't a documentary?!?!?!

It's closer to documentary then many people want to believe.

Scott
post #1180 of 2330 Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 57
What was changed (in your opinion) that had the biggest effect on the show over the current run?

For me, I can sum it up in one word. Bear.

What a great addition. Added a new dynamic. He actually was friendly and bonded with people (Finch, Reese, Carter, even Fusco and Leon Tao!). And they showed his new owners having to deal with him as part of their everyday lives - feeding him, bathing him (funny to see that!), playing fetch, taking him for walks, doggy play dates and using him as part of their work.

(Yeah, they didn't show either Finch or Reese cleaning up his poop, but who knows, they might do that too)
post #1181 of 2330 Old 05-09-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Gee, a show that’s gaining viewers
CBS's 'Person' is up this season, unlike most shows
By Louisa Ada Seltzer, Media Life Magazine - May 9, 2013

“Person of Interest” didn’t quite live up to expectations in its first season last year.

But this year the CBS drama has become one of the only programs on broadcast to see ratings gains. The show, about a machine that can predict violent crimes, is regularly a contender for the top spot in its timeslot as competing shows like ABC’s “Grey’s Anatomy” and NBC’s “The Office” fade.

Tonight at 9 p.m. “Interest” airs its second-season finale, in which Reese and Finch try to save The Machine from outside threats.

“Interest” is averaging a 3.0 adults 18-49 rating this season, according to Nielsen, up a tenth over last season.

That’s not a huge increase, but at a time where nearly every other show on broadcast has seen ratings decline, it’s notable.

ABC’s competing “Grey’s,” for example, is down 14 percent from last season to a 3.1, while NBC’s “Office,” which airs its series finale next week, is off a considerable 29 percent, to a 2.0.

“Interest” should continue to see growth into next season, too, if it follows the path of previous CBS hits. Top programs like “NCIS” and “The Big Bang Theory” didn’t hit their peaks until at least six years into their runs.

Not to ruin tonight’s inevitable cliffhanger, but that should mean a long and prosperous future for The Machine.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/wow-a-show-thats-actually-gaining-viewers/

post #1182 of 2330 Old 05-09-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

What was changed (in your opinion) that had the biggest effect on the show over the current run?

What a great addition. Added a new dynamic. He actually was friendly and bonded with people (Finch, Reese, Carter, even Fusco and Leon Tao!). And they showed his new owners having to deal with him as part of their everyday lives - feeding him, bathing him (funny to see that!), playing fetch, taking him for walks, doggy play dates and using him as part of their work.

(Yeah, they didn't show either Finch or Reese cleaning up his poop, but who knows, they might do that too)

Bear is OK. Not everyone is a dog fanatic. I like Bear but were it absent, I could not care less.
post #1183 of 2330 Old 05-09-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Quote:

Bear is OK. Not everyone is a dog fanatic. I like Bear but were it absent, I could not care less.
Bear adds more plot lines & complexity to the story lines , So yeah Bear is a fine actor in a fine ensemble cast wink.gif

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #1184 of 2330 Old 05-10-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Another great season finale last night. For a second there, I thought the machine was going to be some guy sitting at a laptop in an empty warehouse. I never imgained the machine moving itself.
post #1185 of 2330 Old 05-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Where has Fusco been the last couple of shows??? Any comments on last night's season finale??? Think I gotta watch it again...
post #1186 of 2330 Old 05-10-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

Where has Fusco been the last couple of shows??? Any comments on last night's season finale??? Think I gotta watch it again...

I thought he was still on leave from the internal Affairs thing, but now that I think about it he was around the station a couple of episodes ago.
post #1187 of 2330 Old 05-10-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

Any comments on last night's season finale???

I thought it started out way cool with the machine guiding them and then leveled off (a bit). I was thinking I might catch it again but about halfway through I gave up on that idea. Eventually, it played out like a finale and a good one. For me it just seemed too time driven to some degree... we need to wrap this up.

post #1188 of 2330 Old 05-10-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Lots of series long questions answered in this finale. We now know what happened to Nathan, Finch's partner, and why. We know how Finch got his limp. We know the source of the virus. And the big reveal is that eek.gif there's an even bigger bad above the now deceased big bad. Not that a woman would ever have her annoying opponents and even her entourage killed off. Never happen in real life.
post #1189 of 2330 Old 05-10-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Now that mystery woman should have a high rank, maybe Secretary of State or something like that..

So that irrelevant woman dead was John's wife or girlfriend right? that's why Finch was apologizing to Reese at the end (he could have prevented her demise)

So there's payphones on the insane asylum these days? LOL

I wonder why Shaw's color changed from blue to yellow, maybe the machine determined she fully changed sides..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #1190 of 2330 Old 05-10-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone here remind me how Reese's GF was killed?
post #1191 of 2330 Old 05-10-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Lots of series long questions answered in this finale. We now know what happened to Nathan, Finch's partner, and why. We know how Finch got his limp. We know the source of the virus. And the big reveal is that eek.gif there's an even bigger bad above the now deceased big bad. Not that a woman would ever have her annoying opponents and even her entourage killed off. Never happen in real life.

There is always a bigger bad behind the current biggest bad that we know about. Haven't you ever watched Burn Notice? biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Now that mystery woman should have a high rank, maybe Secretary of State or something like that..

that irrelevant woman dead was John's wife or girlfriend right? that's why Finch was apologizing to Reese at the end (he could have prevented her demise)

So there's payphones on the insane asylum these days? LOL

I wonder why Shaw's color changed from blue to yellow, maybe the machine determined she fully changed sides..

Yes, that story, about John's long-lost-love, was featured in an episode last year..
Quote:
Anyone here remind me how Reese's GF was killed?

During John's extended absence while he was working black ops, she married a violent guy who killed her. John was a little too late to save her, and while he was leaving, we see Finch in the background, who had been there trying to save her too, muttering that he was also too late to save her.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #1192 of 2330 Old 05-11-2013, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
but unlike J.J. Abrams "other" show, POI has gradually become one of the best shows on television..................

Were FRINGE still on the air, I would have a serious disagreement with you regarding Abrams' "other show".
After watching the last episode, I would reverse the comment. Poping assassins off left and right reference to clock positions? Sounded like I was watching 12 O'clock High. eek.gif
They had more improvable/impossible things happen in that episode than all year round.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #1193 of 2330 Old 05-11-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

After watching the last episode, I would reverse the comment. Poping assassins off left and right reference to clock positions? Sounded like I was watching 12 O'clock High. eek.gif
They had more improvable/impossible things happen in that episode than all year round.

While POI has lots of "not really possible" things happen, that is not a good example. An AI system with access to myriad cameras and facial recognition would easily be able to spot the various assassin threats. In the military it's common for a team member to use clock positions to indicate threats or objects requiring your immediate attention.
post #1194 of 2330 Old 05-11-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It was just too much, too often. Moderation was not there. It seemed as they were trying to 'clean up' too many plot holes in one episode as they did with Fringe.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #1195 of 2330 Old 05-11-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Plot holes???
post #1196 of 2330 Old 05-11-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There are way too many plots, sub plots and sub-sub plots to keep track of, thought not as bad as Fringe.

post #1197 of 2330 Old 05-11-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The scene at the wedding was very funny. biggrin.gif

Since it seemed every character so far showed up in the finale, I was surprised that the John Hurt lookalike wasn't there as well.

One thing I'm confused on is why the machine reached out to Root at the end. Or are we going to find out next season that it was just part of her imagination?
post #1198 of 2330 Old 05-11-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

The scene at the wedding was very funny. biggrin.gif

Since it seemed every character so far showed up in the finale, I was surprised that the John Hurt lookalike wasn't there as well.

One thing I'm confused on is why the machine reached out to Root at the end. Or are we going to find out next season that it was just part of her imagination?

I think the machine reached out to Root because it has grown beyond its original programming. It sees the value of its original mission, and even Finch/John saving people outside of the original mission. Contacting Root shows the machine now has its own agenda.
post #1199 of 2330 Old 05-11-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

I think the machine reached out to Root because it has grown beyond its original programming. It sees the value of its original mission, and even Finch/John saving people outside of the original mission. Contacting Root shows the machine now has its own agenda.

Agreed, but who knew AIs would have hot women on their agenda?
post #1200 of 2330 Old 05-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

Is it possible that since Root is in an asylum and since she thinks the machine is God she is only imagining that she is is talking to the machine? eek.gif Maybe that was a way confirm she's crazy. Then again I find it crazy that they would just drop her off and think that she would stay there.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page