Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1261 of 2150 Old 06-14-2013, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Yeah I found it mildy amusing how many people were shocked! eek.gif about Edward's leaks - anyone following tech issues on the web knew about this stuff long ago, it's not like there wasn't any info about it. Wired and Ars Technica in particular had a lot of articles about Echelon, Carnivore the tapping of AT&T POPs etc. long ago. The mainstream media never picked it up and ran with it but now all of a sudden it's big news because the Guardian published the leaks.

We are long past the point of privacy, not just from the government being able to tap in but also BigCos tracking everything you do. The danger lies in if and how it's abused, but the horse has long left the barn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 2150 Old 06-14-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Anyone who denied that the goverment could, would or has been doing this stuff for a long time is living under a rock. 

Unfortunately that's most people in America.  Total sheep that believe anything the government (thru the compromised media) tells them.

Scott
post #1263 of 2150 Old 06-14-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Unfortunately that's most people in America. Total sheep that believe anything the government (thru the compromised media) tells them.
And the rest are the ones lying. Don't you mean the "controlled" media? wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #1264 of 2150 Old 06-14-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 177
We all willingly handed over what shreds remained of our illusion of privacy when we failed to oppose the Patriot Act of 2001, or Obama's extension of it in 2011 -- or the entire mindset that values the illusion of safety over the fundamentals of liberty. By now the fear industry is so deeply entrenched and so lucrative in the US that it will take a revolution to disrupt it. Look at the costs, and the effects, and it's not hard to conclude that whoever's winning the "war on terror," it isn't the American people.

I guess this was inappropriate. Oh, well. All this wide-eyed outrage in the press has pushed my buttons, I guess.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #1265 of 2150 Old 06-14-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

We all willingly handed over what shreds remained of our illusion of privacy when we failed to oppose the Patriot Act of 2001, or Obama's extension of it in 2011 -- or the entire mindset that values the illusion of safety over the fundamentals of liberty. By now the fear industry is so deeply entrenched and so lucrative in the US that it will take a revolution to disrupt it. Look at the costs, and the effects, and it's not hard to conclude that whoever's winning the "war on terror," it isn't the American people.

I guess this was inappropriate. Oh, well. All this wide-eyed outrage in the press has pushed my buttons, I guess.
You're 100% right, and Osama Bin Laden in what ever after life suits him, is laughing his ass off and has been since the Patriot Act was put into effect, they won, end of story.

And then theres the Chinese.. tongue.gif

This one is funnier because here people willingly give up their privacy, yet seem outraged about it later,

post #1266 of 2150 Old 06-14-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Um, for all the lengthy discussion about the existence of such a machine, or the uses the government can put to all that accumulated data, I think it is wise to remember something. The show is using The Machine as a McGuffin to drive the plot. They wanted a mechanism that would allow them to have advanced knowledge of a crime that they could then expend their efforts to stop. They could have used a genuine psychic, or an information time-travel mechanism (like Seven Days) or something else. They opted to use The Machine, and I'm sure the producers, writers, and show runners have given it little thought beyond that. It merely serves the show.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #1267 of 2150 Old 06-14-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Um, for all the lengthy discussion about the existence of such a machine, or the uses the government can put to all that accumulated data, I think it is wise to remember something. The show is using The Machine as a McGuffin to drive the plot. They wanted a mechanism that would allow them to have advanced knowledge of a crime that they could then expend their efforts to stop. They could have used a genuine psychic, or an information time-travel mechanism (like Seven Days) or something else. They opted to use The Machine, and I'm sure the producers, writers, and show runners have given it little thought beyond that. It merely serves the show.
That's not the point.

The point is, the McGuffin is pretty close to possible. Time travel isn't and psychics are a bit dubious (though I did enjoy Medium).

They could also be a team of ex-military outlaws that ride around in a van, helping those that can find them through a vigilante black market, similar to how you contact The Equalizer. Of course, we would have a very different show.

In the case of this show, McGuffin has more street cred than the process they use of helping people while avoiding arrest.
post #1268 of 2150 Old 06-15-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, I think it's reasonable for us to agree that even if the Machine doesn't exist now, it's not science fiction to say that it could exist in the near future. Everything is getting more and more interconnected and the fear/'security' industry is rapidly overtaking national defense, so it's not hard to see how the money can buy this tech eventually.

Anyone interested in how much money we're talking about can watch the Frontline special about it, and read the Washington Post articles by Dana Priest and Bill Arkin.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/topsecretamerica/
http://projects.washingtonpost.com/top-secret-america/
post #1269 of 2150 Old 06-15-2013, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

The point is, the McGuffin is pretty close to possible. Time travel isn't and psychics are a bit dubious (though I did enjoy Medium).

They could also be a team of ex-military outlaws that ride around in a van, helping those that can find them through a vigilante black market, similar to how you contact The Equalizer. Of course, we would have a very different show.

In the case of this show, McGuffin has more street cred than the process they use of helping people while avoiding arrest.

Granted, that's true, but for the show, it's merely a literary device. If they are being accurate, in 24, for example, it would have taken Jack hours to get across the LA basin, and hours again to get back. The time compression was a literary device. If they had done it REALLY in real-time, the show would have been impossibly boring. And, as for your argument, Jack getting across the LA basin in 15 minutes during rush hour has absolutely NO street cred at all. smile.gif

Regardless of how realistic The Machine is in real life, the show is quite entertaining.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #1270 of 2150 Old 06-15-2013, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Yep, I think it's reasonable for us to agree that even if the Machine doesn't exist now, it's not science fiction to say that it could exist in the near future. Everything is getting more and more interconnected and the fear/'security' industry is rapidly overtaking national defense, so it's not hard to see how the money can buy this tech eventually.

I don't think it's a simple yes/no question about whether the Machine exists. I don't think anything as pervasive and foolproof as the Machine exists. However, I'm sure there is some version of it working now analyzing the data that the government collects. No humans could do this alone. So I'd say The Machine does not exist, but some version of a Machine does that is not so automated.
post #1271 of 2150 Old 06-24-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
A little back scene action of a recent episode.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/person_of_interest/video/e4cw9zsn_wI0DvViQ9sVssON64OeX5sE/person-of-interest-behind-the-scenes-zero-day/

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #1272 of 2150 Old 07-16-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Oh snap, new season starts tonight??

edit: Oh... I guess not.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #1273 of 2150 Old 07-16-2013, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Our old (5 years old) DVR at work was fed by 12 analog cams- but the DVR was network connected- so if someone was to hack into our network, find the ip address of the DVR and hack the username and password to the DVR then they would have network access to all 12 cams.

We've moved on to all Hi-Def IP cams, so theoretically it should be easier for someone to gain access to individual cams (again finding the IP address of each cam, hacking the username and password and guessing the correct .h264 streaming port address of each cam).

Jack's folks at CTU have been logged into your system for years. In fact they have been logged into every system for years.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #1274 of 2150 Old 07-17-2013, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
This season's been hit and miss for me, so I've been enjoying the reruns of eps I missed.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #1275 of 2150 Old 08-22-2013, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 81
I just saw that Sarah Shahi will be a regular cast member this year. Yay!!!!
post #1276 of 2150 Old 08-23-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Yay!

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #1277 of 2150 Old 08-24-2013, 03:23 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

This season's been hit and miss for me, so I've been enjoying the reruns of eps I missed.

Person of Interest gain; Ncis loss. She would have made a great replacement for ZIva.
post #1278 of 2150 Old 08-24-2013, 03:25 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

I just saw that Sarah Shahi will be a regular cast member this year. Yay!!!!

Picked the wrong post.

Great gain for Person of Interest; loss for NCIS. AS I said she would be a great replacement for Ziva.
post #1279 of 2150 Old 08-24-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Saw some talk on Twitter earlier today saying CBS ran a promo during golf for Person of Interest and was surprised how graphic the spot was considering when it ran. Anyone see it? Anyone know of a link for it?
post #1280 of 2150 Old 08-24-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post

Saw some talk on Twitter earlier today saying CBS ran a promo during golf for Person of Interest and was surprised how graphic the spot was considering when it ran. Anyone see it? Anyone know of a link for it?
seen news post where the writers were saying they considered POI as Sci-FY from the start but with recent NAS leaks & computer surveillance that they would lean more toward Sci-Fy in the future season
I can't remember where I read that rolleyes.gif

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #1281 of 2150 Old 08-24-2013, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I saw a promo earlier today (during golf or tennis). I certainly don't remember anything "racy". I did see where it looks as though the "suits" at CBS are messing with the show.

Suits frakked up Human Target; can this show be far behind?

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #1282 of 2150 Old 08-25-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post

Picked the wrong post.

Great gain for Person of Interest; loss for NCIS. AS I said she would be a great replacement for Ziva.
Agree, but maybe the former SecNav's niece will reappear. Perhaps it's time for a blonde. smile.gif
post #1283 of 2150 Old 08-25-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

I saw a promo earlier today (during golf or tennis). I certainly don't remember anything "racy". I did see where it looks as though the "suits" at CBS are messing with the show.

Suits frakked up Human Target; can this show be far behind?

I don't know what the person meant by the promo being too graphic if it was racy or violent.
post #1284 of 2150 Old 09-18-2013, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Ready for the new season of PoI!
Fastslappy likes this.
post #1285 of 2150 Old 09-18-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUL View Post

Ready for the new season of PoI!

Yeah, I better start making some time for the 13 episodes of last season that are still stacked on the DVR .. eek.gif

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #1286 of 2150 Old 09-18-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Yeah, I better start making some time for the 13 episodes of last season that are still stacked on the DVR .. eek.gif

Time for a POI marathon view a la Breaking Bad. wink.gif
Fastslappy likes this.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #1287 of 2150 Old 09-18-2013, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if Root will be a returning/recurring character?
Fastslappy likes this.

Luke

post #1288 of 2150 Old 09-18-2013, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
She will be in a few episodes for sure.
Fastslappy likes this.
post #1289 of 2150 Old 09-19-2013, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I wonder if Root will be a returning/recurring character?

Uhm, I know for sure since they wrote about it in EW magazine. I will put it into spoilers in case others do not want to know.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
They stated that she will be a series regular because the machine is still in contact with her and sending her information it needs help with.
Fastslappy likes this.

post #1290 of 2150 Old 09-19-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

The producers have to be loving how relevant this show is now with all the NSA illegal snooping going on, can't wait for this season to start. I hope Amy Acker is on there for a long time because she's been super as root. wink.gif.
JSUL likes this.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page