'Person Of Interest' on CBS HD - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1801 of 2204 Old 01-16-2014, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Terrible ending with Harold landing the plane, the graph they showed earlier in the episode going to commercial would have had the plane crashing well short of any runway. I actually laughed when Harold plugged in his USB flight controller, not good for such a generally serious show.

I actually liked the general change of pace of the episode with the whole thing taking place on a plane. That ridiculousness plus last week's just in time rescue which other posters have justifiably criticized has me rethinking my continued watching of this show. Too bad Shaw is so awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 2204 Old 01-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
+1
post #1803 of 2204 Old 01-16-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Same here. I LOL'ed when that happened and just rolled my eyes. The whole ep was kinda preposterous. As much scuffling went on in that plane, people would have taken notice.

Anyway.... can someone point me to the episode of Shaw's "origin story"? I just don't remember it at all and would like to watch it again. I think she was the number that came up and I seem to remember the episode ended with an ambulance in a cemetery and they let her walk away??? Is that her first episode? If so, what season and number, please?
post #1804 of 2204 Old 01-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

Anyway.... can someone point me to the episode of Shaw's "origin story"? I just don't remember it at all and would like to watch it again. I think she was the number that came up and I seem to remember the episode ended with an ambulance in a cemetery and they let her walk away??? Is that her first episode? If so, what season and number, please?
Relevance, Episode 16, Season 2
bpeacock22 likes this.
post #1805 of 2204 Old 01-16-2014, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Suspension of belief is sometimes necessary for viewing any show or film. POI is no different.
post #1806 of 2204 Old 01-16-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUL View Post

Suspension of belief is sometimes necessary for viewing any show or film. POI is no different.

I totally agree, and I have different standards depending on the style of the show. For instance, Fringe was insane from day 1 so I had fun with it and adopted a very low threshold of believability. Over the years it's been on, I thought that POI tried to be much more realistic and the last episode's plot was even ripped off the recent Silk Road case with a criminal internet black market.

Subsequently I have a higher threshold of things needing to make sense for POI and when Harold plugs in a USB controller to remotely land a plane, it goes out the window. Not to mention where the previous episode, Reese and Fusco just happen to get back from Colorado to rescue everyone with not a second to spare. It just seems like things are getting less and less believable which is inconsistent with the overall theme of the show.
post #1807 of 2204 Old 01-16-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 78
It's legit criticism to diss POI for lack of semblance of reality as with the airline controller. I had problems with stuff in last week's episode.

Overall the episode had a more than usual comedic tone, which I embraced. Reese's physical encounters are almost always way over the top. Others may not get into it and have problems. Understandably. What I like is the ability for the PIO writing team to seemingly poke fun at themselves, q.v. remember the string of episodes where each week Reese was tossing someone(s) through a window?
post #1808 of 2204 Old 01-16-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The machine AI probably has a plethora of different personalities and goals as evidenced by its vastly different relationships with the national security people, its terse communication relationship with Finch, it's homegirl close communication relationship with Root and ever since he answered that phone call, its evolving relationship with Reese which we saw in this episode.

I would not expect an AI machine mind(s) to be directly similar to a human mind.
post #1809 of 2204 Old 01-16-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Was Harold pulling out the flight sticks and plugging them in the "jump the shark" moment for POI? Overall I liked the episode but the odds that not one person on the plane would notice anything going on is slim, but ok I will give them that,

When he went and pulled out the controllers I almost hit stop and delete recording. Really???
videobruce likes this.
post #1810 of 2204 Old 01-16-2014, 03:47 PM

Harold was being resourceful.
A quick thinker, that chap Harold.
post #1811 of 2204 Old 01-16-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 192

For me the tone of the episode was lighthearted (by design) and the landing simply served as the grand finale. The applause framed it nicely.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #1812 of 2204 Old 01-16-2014, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
In the flashbacks to the teenage Harold, is anyone else old enough to remember when a whistle in Cap'n Crunch cereal unlocked free world-wide long distance? A famous hacker was known as Cap'n Crunch.
post #1813 of 2204 Old 01-16-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnacleBill View Post

In the flashbacks to the teenage Harold, is anyone else old enough to remember when a whistle in Cap'n Crunch cereal unlocked free world-wide long distance? A famous hacker was known as Cap'n Crunch.
Yup, 2600 Hz.
post #1814 of 2204 Old 01-16-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I want to marry that flight attendant, will Reese contact her again? (I hope so)

Well TSA did a bad job, they smuggled a knife and a syringe and don't know what else, plus I thought the knifes and forks are supposed to be plastic in planes..

I hope Reese has found a new love interest to help him get past his grief. I bet we see her again.

Several airlines I have been on provide metal forks and knives with meals. Not unusual, especially in frst class. But it does make you wonder why such items are confiscated at TSA checkpoints.
post #1815 of 2204 Old 01-17-2014, 03:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Was Harold pulling out the flight sticks and plugging them in the "jump the shark" moment for POI? Overall I liked the episode but the odds that not one person on the plane would notice anything going on is slim, but ok I will give them that,
When he went and pulled out the controllers I almost hit stop and delete recording. Really???
That episode hit a all time low. To me, it looks like they are grabbing at straws for a plot and a purpose. This reminds me of Fringe. A excellent series that fell apart the last season. mad.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #1816 of 2204 Old 01-17-2014, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I actually liked the episode, but I can totally see why some didn't like it. My guess is that after a prolonged stretch of Very Heavy/Serious episodes relating to HR, with the death of Carter, followed by a couple more serious episodes with Finch's capture etc, they just wanted to let the audience have a light change of pace.

Yeah, the episode was silly and definitely more campy than usual, but I like it for what it was. As long as they don't continue with these types of episodes.
post #1817 of 2204 Old 01-17-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Well TSA did a bad job, they smuggled a knife and a syringe and don't know what else, plus I thought the knifes and forks are supposed to be plastic in planes..

Hey, in Edmonton they'll take your pipe bomb if you really insist and let you board the plane!

Remember, it's called "AV Science"!

My HT

Peter

post #1818 of 2204 Old 01-17-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Yeah, the episode was silly and definitely more campy than usual, but I like it for what it was. As long as they don't continue with these types of episodes.
Fringe lost it's way due to a massive story change and died, the Mentalist seems to be doing the same thing. I know things will change to keep thing interesting, I also hope we don't see another detour like that again.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #1819 of 2204 Old 01-17-2014, 01:55 PM

Hopefully, future episodes will be better. It goes to show how difficult it is to turn out well written scripts for long periods.
post #1820 of 2204 Old 01-17-2014, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
We enjoyed this particular episode. We laughed out loud when Harold hooked up the controller. Not a typical episode, but enjoyable nonetheless. I expect that the series will go back to it's "normal" storyline.
Many series do an episode like this. More whimsical than usual. Then back to normal as if nothing had happened.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #1821 of 2204 Old 01-18-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 207
If Harold had actual control of the aircraft (not too sure how, but anyway), it would have been more in character for him to scrabble to activate auto-pilot ion the plane itself or, at worst, enable some flight simulator software on his end to make the landing remotely. Him doing it with a fraction of the actual controls and buttons of an aircraft is just silly.

Remember, it's called "AV Science"!

My HT

Peter

post #1822 of 2204 Old 01-18-2014, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

For me the tone of the episode was lighthearted (by design) and the landing simply served as the grand finale. The applause framed it nicely.

I interpreted it exactly the same...a more lighthearted episode to balance out a bit the tone of the previous episodes (Carter's death, Reese's mourning, etc.). I could envision the writers grinning throughout with a wink to the audience when Finch bust out the flight controls.
post #1823 of 2204 Old 01-18-2014, 05:44 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 63
^^^
Yeah.. I was wondering why Reese didn't just flip on the autopilot switch himself. confused.gif

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider

normal on a two month old set..
post #1824 of 2204 Old 01-18-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

^^^
Yeah.. I was wondering why Reese didn't just flip on the autopilot switch himself. confused.gif

They have experimented with fully self-landing auto controls, but I do not think they are on commercial aircraft today.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #1825 of 2204 Old 01-18-2014, 12:12 PM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

They have experimented with fully self-landing auto controls, but I do not think they are on commercial aircraft today.
CAT IIIB or CAT IIIC ?
post #1826 of 2204 Old 01-18-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 633
The Root torture cage match was a little over the top .. pile of needles, impromptu ear bone removal, etc ..

The plane episode idea of the website for drug delivery made me wonder .. I would never have thought, but it could be true ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1827 of 2204 Old 01-18-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I thought I heard on the news a while back that there actually was a website that dealt drugs.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #1828 of 2204 Old 01-19-2014, 12:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

The Root torture cage match was a little over the top .. pile of needles, impromptu ear bone removal, etc ..

The plane episode idea of the website for drug delivery made me wonder .. I would never have thought, but it could be true ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

I thought I heard on the news a while back that there actually was a website that dealt drugs.
It was around for several years and just got shut down recently, in fact, the shutdown of the site is one of the reasons bitcoin value has increased so much lately.

Silk Road
post #1829 of 2204 Old 01-19-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Looks like it would be vulnerable like the article mentioned to the Feds setting up an account. Or is that what happened?

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #1830 of 2204 Old 01-19-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Much better episode. Show is SOOO much better when it focus's on John and John just does what John does best.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page