'Person Of Interest' on CBS HD - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 142Likes
post #2431 of 2726 Old 01-15-2015, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 118
So even after The Trilogy we still don't know if Shaw is tits up or not.

She has taken the place of Schrodinger's meowser!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2726 Old 01-15-2015, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
Personally I don't get what the point of this "trilogy" was if nothing was resolved. At least with the previous one they did, HR was dismantled and that storyline was put to bed.
Is there not one episode left in the trilogy .. ?? I thought it was not over yet ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2433 of 2726 Old 01-15-2015, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 114
No that was the 3rd one. The first one aired in December before they took a break for the holidays.
post #2434 of 2726 Old 01-18-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Yeah this whole gap thing between the episodes is silly and taking the momentum off the show
Turrican4D likes this.
post #2435 of 2726 Old 01-19-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Personally I don't get what the point of this "trilogy" was if nothing was resolved.
Network marketing hype. Nothing in the episodes themselves indicate that they function as a set. They're three episodes that contain mostly serial storyline material, like other episodes before and, no doubt, to come. They happened to be all in a row.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #2436 of 2726 Old 02-04-2015, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Another wonderful outing that hit on all cylinders. The one thing I kept thinking during this whole episode: 'It's about time they bring Fusco into the fold and tell him about Samaritan and the machine.' He really shined on this one and I think we can agree he's more than made up for his early transgressions and proved himself by laying his life on the line time and again.....
Machuran likes this.
post #2437 of 2726 Old 02-04-2015, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
Another wonderful outing that hit on all cylinders. The one thing I kept thinking during this whole episode: 'It's about time they bring Fusco into the fold and tell him about Samaritan and the machine.' He really shined on this one and I think we can agree he's more than made up for his early transgressions and proved himself by laying his life on the line time and again.....
Exactly, I'm glad he did as he's usually the one left out on the mission.
post #2438 of 2726 Old 02-04-2015, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Great episode.
post #2439 of 2726 Old 02-04-2015, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Wonder if they're going to recruit the former IA, now on the gang unit gal to replace Shaw. She seemed to have some similar attributes like shoot first, take names later.

The scene where she went into the basement reminded me of teen slasher movies where you sit on the edge of your seat saying don't go in there.

Good to see Shaw still above room temp. too. Guess they can write script for her where she stays in bed thruout the pregnancy.

Guess Root is going out on her own.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #2440 of 2726 Old 02-05-2015, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
We're almost done with the show. It started out with this cool project/computer and each week we'd save a new person or two, learn their backstory, care about them enough to want them saved, learn a little more about our heroes, then rinse & repeat.

Now it's become this silly story-line with "The Others" and now kidnapped Shaw and taking complete control of citizens lives, etc.

Can't they go back to what made the show good? Homicide: Life on the Streets - they always said "the show is about closing cases" - not about the people or deeper stories.

I loved the stories they created for the people who needed rescuing. Even the one rescue this week was a great story. We're about to remove the Season Pass to be honest. Done with Root, done with Samaritan, done with corrupt cops, corrupt government contractors, etc. Just go out and save normal people like the show started out doing.
post #2441 of 2726 Old 02-05-2015, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittCaleb View Post
Done with Root, done with Samaritan, done with corrupt cops, corrupt government contractors, etc. Just go out and save normal people like the show started out doing.
It seems like they'll still save normal people and have episodes about that while doing the Shaw/Samaritan storylines.
post #2442 of 2726 Old 02-05-2015, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
When did this happen during the episode? I didn't see any scenes where Fusco learned about The Machine and Samaritan.
post #2443 of 2726 Old 02-05-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
When did this happen during the episode? I didn't see any scenes where Fusco learned about The Machine and Samaritan.

It didn't. I'm just saying that he deserves to know at this point since he's come a long way from when he was a corrupt cop when the show first started.
post #2444 of 2726 Old 02-05-2015, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittCaleb View Post
We're almost done with the show. It started out with this cool project/computer and each week we'd save a new person or two, learn their backstory, care about them enough to want them saved, learn a little more about our heroes, then rinse & repeat.

Now it's become this silly story-line with "The Others" and now kidnapped Shaw and taking complete control of citizens lives, etc.

Can't they go back to what made the show good? Homicide: Life on the Streets - they always said "the show is about closing cases" - not about the people or deeper stories.

I loved the stories they created for the people who needed rescuing. Even the one rescue this week was a great story. We're about to remove the Season Pass to be honest. Done with Root, done with Samaritan, done with corrupt cops, corrupt government contractors, etc. Just go out and save normal people like the show started out doing.
I think you're misunderstanding the depth of this show. It might have been a procedural at first when it started out but the show has grown into so much more since then. There are a million shows out there regurgitating the same formula week after work and I for one am glad that this isn't one of them. The story arc and the depth of the characters has grown over time and there isn't a single show out there that's daringly different asking the questions that many of us haven't even deeply contemplated yet. The scary thing is every scenario they're painting for us is utterly believable and could easily happen without the checks and balances which we all know don't truly exist today.
post #2445 of 2726 Old 02-05-2015, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I think you're misunderstanding the depth of this show. It might have been a procedural at first when it started out but the show has grown into so much more since then. There are a million shows out there regurgitating the same formula week after work and I for one am glad that this isn't one of them. The story arc and the depth of the characters has grown over time and there isn't a single show out there that's daringly different asking the questions that many of us haven't even deeply contemplated yet. The scary thing is every scenario they're painting for us is utterly believable and could easily happen without the checks and balances which we all know don't truly exist today.

I agree with you! We really enjoy this show!
post #2446 of 2726 Old 02-05-2015, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Spot on.
There are dozens of procedurals on TV, so folks not liking the core story of POI have lots of other choices.
But even in the early episodes we saw shadows of what we came to know as Decima in Reese's backstory. We didn't know the whys and wherefores of his overseas mission but later saw how it was seamlessly integrated into the fabric of the story.
Right from the start in Season One, POI had a rich backstory tapestry that was FAR more involved than a Rescue Of The Week procedural. I guess that some just dismissed it as noise.
b5fan001 likes this.
post #2447 of 2726 Old 02-06-2015, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 56
If you want Same, Simple then there are all the NCIS variants.
b5fan001 likes this.
post #2448 of 2726 Old 02-06-2015, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Please don't get me wrong. We love deep shows. We find so often they feel the need to wrap-up a story arc in 1, maybe 2, episodes a true telling of American's short attention spans.

What I'm saying is creating this evil shadow system, that can control entire towns, is just silly. I love learning more of the back story of the Machine, how it talks directly to Root but not to Finch.

It's the "recurring bad guy" aspect that I don't like. So many shows fail when they get into this mode. We don't want to introduce any new characters, so we're just going to keep this old one coming back. That's just what it feels like to me.

I buy into the whole, someone is watching everything you're doing and can track you down at any place, any time. I'm on board with that. The stretch is the 2nd system which is being used for evil. Just reeks too much of KARR to me, that's all.
post #2449 of 2726 Old 02-06-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

What's fresh (for network TV, not fiction or film) is the concept of 2 contending AIs. an AI ecosystem. The show illustrates the potential for societal good and societal evil that differing AIs could bring. Much more interesting and fruitful concept than one single Machine feeding #s to people for Rescue of the Week, NCIS New York.
b5fan001 likes this.
post #2450 of 2726 Old 02-06-2015, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I wouldn't be watching this show if it was simply the bad guy of the week procedural. The complexity of the arcs on the show keep me watching. It's unlike any other show on network tv.
gwsat likes this.
post #2451 of 2726 Old 02-06-2015, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I remember watching the first few episodes of POI. Watched it because "Ben" from LOST was in it. It was just OK and I liked the Reese guy but I recorded the next few episodes without watching because I figured it was just a procedural, albeit with a unique twist of The Machine feeding them numbers. Then I finally watched the next couple episodes sitting on my TiVo and realized that there was a lot more going on here. I was worried that perhaps like Battlestar Galactica and LOST the writers were maybe just giving the illusion that they had a coherent underlying thread and I'd fall for it only to find out there was no there there. They surprised me as the backstories got richer, the characters deeper and the whole conundrum of an all seeing AI came to the fore. Upped the ante with Root and went exponential with Samaritan.
post #2452 of 2726 Old 02-07-2015, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post
I wouldn't be watching this show if it was simply the bad guy of the week procedural. The complexity of the arcs on the show keep me watching. It's unlike any other show on network tv.

No offense, but I honestly don't get the logic when people say this.

The whole first season was nothing but a bad guy of the week procedural, so if you don't care for such a template then why did you stick with it?
post #2453 of 2726 Old 02-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
...The whole first season was nothing but a bad guy of the week procedural, so if you don't care for such a template then why did you stick with it?
The first season was good but unsustainable. The characters were established, some back story was told, some dynamics were set. If that model were extended, it would become stale and increasingly unbelievable.
It was a case of grow or die (see: Castle).
jamieva and b5fan001 like this.

Jiggery - Pokery!
post #2454 of 2726 Old 02-07-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The whole first season was nothing but a bad guy of the week procedural, so if you don't care for such a template then why did you stick with it?
I almost gave up on the show Season One, but even in the early episodes we saw shadows of what we came to know as Decima in Reese's complex and deep backstory. We didn't know the whys and wherefores of his overseas mission but later saw how it was seamlessly integrated into the fabric of the story with the genesis of the 2nd AI.
Right from the start in Season One, POI had a rich backstory tapestry that was FAR more involved than a Rescue Of The Week procedural. Many here just dismissed it as noise.
gwsat and b5fan001 like this.
post #2455 of 2726 Old 02-11-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 107
The best thing about last night's episode was the return of Zoe.
post #2456 of 2726 Old 02-11-2015, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Zoe or Iris.. mmm hard choice for Reese.. like Zoe said he's interested in another woman, Iris maybe interested in Reese.. but John being in constant danger, I don't know.. maybe recruit her?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #2457 of 2726 Old 02-11-2015, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Excellent Excellent points!! If a show just starts and stops with the characters in the same situations week after week with no growth or change, I lose interest very fast. I cannot stand a show in which the characters are stagnant cutouts to serve the weekly plot. After Babylon5 and LOST, I cannot and will not go back to the old formulaic version of television that meant a show's characters lives, emotions, lifestyles and life situations are frozen in place so that viewers can watch any episode in any order without having to ever know what happened in another episode. That is storytelling at its worst! The old model is dead. Thank the Lord!

-B
humdinger70 likes this.
post #2458 of 2726 Old 02-11-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by b5fan001 View Post
Excellent Excellent points!! If a show just starts and stops with the characters in the same situations week after week with no growth or change, I lose interest very fast. I cannot stand a show in which the characters are stagnant cutouts to serve the weekly plot. After Babylon5 and LOST, I cannot and will not go back to the old formulaic version of television that meant a show's characters lives, emotions, lifestyles and life situations are frozen in place so that viewers can watch any episode in any order without having to ever know what happened in another episode. That is storytelling at its worst! The old model is dead. Thank the Lord!

-B
See 'Hawaii Five-0' on CBS. I think people tune in more for the 'beauty shots' of the Hawaiian landscape than the actual plots. It's a favorite of mine (although minor now) through all four seasons in its current iteration. I wonder what the stars of the original 'Hawaii Five-O' (note the difference, letter ''O' vs. numeric '0') - if they're still alive - think of the new version vs. the original.
post #2459 of 2726 Old 02-11-2015, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 131
This show grows and changes. it doesn't get stuck in a procedural rut. If it was just season 1 over and over the show would have been cancelled by now. Last night's episode was a throwback to season 1 style of "POI procedural". Those filler episodes happen many times in a 22-24 ep network season unlike a strong 13 ep cable season. Great show.
post #2460 of 2726 Old 02-11-2015, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Why? JJ Abrams........creator, executive producer and director of great entertainment!

.........if you don't know who that is........I'm sorry...........This guy's show's are ones you should avoid if you like procedurals.
His shows include LOST (the second greatest TV show ever made....Babylon5 being number one), Alias, Revolution, Alcatraz, Fringe and Almost Human.
This is the guy that produced and directed the new Star Trek movies. If anyone had told me that I would be literally crying the first ten minutes of a Star Trek movie, I would have called them crazy!!

I know that if a show comes from JJ Abrams, it is going to have a backstory that will run the whole series and it will be interesting, mysterious and wild.

People who want nice safe procedurals need to look for shows from Dick Wolf, Donald Bellisario...I cannot think of anyone else because I don't watch their shows!

-B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming