'Person Of Interest' on CBS HD - Page 90 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 133Likes

post #2671 of 2698 Old Yesterday, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post
13 probably means this is the end of the road for it.
The way things are going for CBS, anything could happen. It wouldn't be much of a stretch for POI to outperform the new crop along with some older ones - TGW, Madame Sec, Hawaii Five-O. As things have turned out this year, cancelling Mentalist is looking like a mistake, as are some of those early renewals...

Maybe a shortened late-season run would keep their options open, and entice Shahi back to bank some bucks before the possible end...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2698 Old Yesterday, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Has any 22-episode series ever recovered from a reduced-season order?

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #2673 of 2698 Old Yesterday, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I'm sure there is someone with a better memory than me but my first guess is no. Generally the whole reason they reduce the order is they were on the fence about canceling it.
post #2674 of 2698 Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

From HOTP thread

TV Notes
‘Person Of Interest’ Gets ‘The Mentalist’ Treatment With 13-Episode Order; Will Season 5 Be Its Last?

By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - May 11, 2015

Of the slew of the returning scripted series renewed by CBS today, only one, Person of Interest, is not owned by the network. (It comes from Warner Bros. TV.) It was the lone series to get a partial order, which I hear is for 13 episodes. That is exactly what happened last May, with a last-minute 13-episode order to another veteran Warner Bros drama procedural, The Mentalist. Just like last year with The Mentalist, CBS would not say whether the upcoming fifth season of POI would be its last though I hear that is likely. (The Mentalist announcement came a few months later.)

POI was a breakout when it launched in September 2011 as CBS’ new Thursday anchor. But while fellow WBTV-produced CBS dramas Without A Trace and The Mentalist got to spend four seasons on Thursday before they were moved to another night, POI was transplanted after only two seasons. It has done OK in its new Tuesday 10 PM slot, performing in line with other CBS bubble dramas, which were picked up for full seasons including Hawaii Five-O, NCIS: LA and Elementary. The difference is that the other shows are owned by the network and make millions for the company via off-network syndication deals. POI also has an off-network deal with WGN America, but that is money for WBTV, which would be hit financially if POI is cancelled prematurely.

This is just one of the harsh realities of vertical integration that independent studios have to deal with these days, with series assured a long life if they are owned by a network but if they are not, they face an uncertain fate.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/person-o...st-1201424813/
post #2675 of 2698 Old Yesterday, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm sure there is someone with a better memory than me but my first guess is no. Generally the whole reason they reduce the order is they were on the fence about canceling it.
Maybe a comedy or two but can't think of a drama offhand - except for the writer strike of course...

CC

post #2676 of 2698 Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Having watch several shows on cable that are only 13-episode runs, they cut to the chase on their storylines and really don't get off track. If POI can do the same thing for season 5, I am all for it.

The biggest mistake CBS made with this show was moving off Thursdays at 9 and moving it to Tuesdays at 10.
post #2677 of 2698 Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post
.... The biggest mistake CBS made with this show was moving off Thursdays at 9 and moving it to Tuesdays at 10.
Bingo!

For us it went from Thursday at 8 (CST) to Tuesday at 9. But the alarm goes off at 4:15am at our house, so shows that start at 9 get recorded to watch later. When it was on earlier we always watched live.. commercials and all . . .

I believe it's time to Overthrow VerticalScope..
and Bring Back Huddler!

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
post #2678 of 2698 Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Having watch several shows on cable that are only 13-episode runs, they cut to the chase on their storylines and really don't get off track. If POI can do the same thing for season 5, I am all for it.

The biggest mistake CBS made with this show was moving off Thursdays at 9 and moving it to Tuesdays at 10.

True. I've said several times in this thread over the years that this show would have been ideal for a 13-16 show per season cable type setup. We get 3-5 filler episodes a year which are stand a lones and don't move the overall story forward.
post #2679 of 2698 Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
I would be happy with a nice, tight 13-episode arc that consists entirely of telling the rest of the Machine/Samaritan story with the kind of style of which the series is capable. I would be sad that it was the end of the series.

How often do these truncated final seasons actually fulfill their promise, though? Usually, it seems like a reduced budget and a writing/production staff with one foot out the door looking for their next job ends up delivering something that's a pale shadow of what the series was when it was great.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #2680 of 2698 Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I would thinkg that would depend on how much Nolan is still personally involved with the show, which it appears he is.
post #2681 of 2698 Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I actually won't be terribly upset if the show ends its run next year. I find that each year the show has drifted further and further down the road to becoming a virtual cartoon. At the beginning it was semi-plausible with a few over-the-top action sequences of Mr. Reese taking out a room full of bad guys. Root was always a psycho, but a tech nerd at heart. Now Root seems to have the fighting ability of a CIA agent, and the John Woo style scenes with the heroes walking down the street while the machine gun wielding bad guys shoot all around them have become commonplace. The Martine character just never really worked, as she was played more like a terminator robot than an actual person.

Anyways, I am sticking around til the end, but I find the show has really morphed for the worse over the years. Hopefully we will get Leon and Zoey back for next year.
post #2682 of 2698 Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

I agree with the shorter seasons. But the biggest mistake was it putting on after NCIS NO. That show is a total drag that skews to the oldest of the old people. Chi Fire on NBC at 10pm is basically doing same numbers as POI and they renewed it early. CBS having NFL on thurs and ABC having Scandal thurs 9pm probably had something to do with move.

13 eps puts POI just over the 100 ep syndication threshold for WB. 5 is it.
post #2683 of 2698 Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
I would be happy with a nice, tight 13-episode arc that consists entirely of telling the rest of the Machine/Samaritan story with the kind of style of which the series is capable. I would be sad that it was the end of the series.

How often do these truncated final seasons actually fulfill their promise, though? Usually, it seems like a reduced budget and a writing/production staff with one foot out the door looking for their next job ends up delivering something that's a pale shadow of what the series was when it was great.
Some of the greatest shows on the history of TV have been 13 eps or less. No one is ever happy with final seasons. Especially when long time characters get bumped off during the final season. POI has a bunch of filler eps that they could now rinse.
post #2684 of 2698 Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

The show is very binge watching friendly I expect it to be on Netflix or Prime in the next 2 years.

I cannot remember but what was the lead in on Thursday nights?
post #2685 of 2698 Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM

Quote:
The show is very binge watching friendly I expect it to be on Netflix or Prime in the next 2 years.

I cannot remember but what was the lead in on Thursday nights?
Netflix in sept. with first three seasons. That's an issue with CBS. They should have had a show like POI on netflix years ago. Many shows, like breaking bad and orphan black, drew in major fans who binge watched on netflix/amazon and then watched new seasons as they aired.

Edit: POI not on thursdays anymore. It's not even on the fall schedule. Coming back in 2016. Gives shaw time to get back for final season.

Last edited by BroadwayBlues; Today at 07:34 AM.
post #2686 of 2698 Old Today, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Show will not come back until mid season. No decision has been made on if it is the final season. Limitless is taking the 10 pm Tuesday time slot.
post #2687 of 2698 Old Today, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Midseason is great - 10 to 1 Shahi will come back early for it, and it'll be competing for renewal against a CBS lineup that's circling the drain...

Bombing finales must be contagious - AOS (on ABC) also tanked last night...

CC

post #2688 of 2698 Old Today, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 44
It is different writing with a finish line. Opportunity to tie things up.
post #2689 of 2698 Old Today, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Midseason is great - 10 to 1 Shahi will come back early for it, and it'll be competing for renewal against a CBS lineup that's circling the drain...
I guess that's true, it would give her enough time to come back.
post #2690 of 2698 Old Today, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

And if she knew this was it for the show she might be willing to come back earlier than she expected as well. maybe they write her off early on so she only has to shoot a few scenes or something if she is reluctant.
Machuran likes this.
post #2691 of 2698 Old Today, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
And if she knew this was it for the show she might be willing to come back earlier than she expected as well. maybe they write her off early on so she only has to shoot a few scenes or something if she is reluctant.
That's a good point, hopefully she does come back by then.
post #2692 of 2698 Old Today, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Maybe she's already set for life, but I have to believe that for most women 3 months of work in exchange for 20 years of full time motherhood would be hard to pass up...

CC

post #2693 of 2698 Old Today, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 89
By bringing it back mid-season, no interrupted weeks?
post #2694 of 2698 Old Today, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
By bringing it back mid-season, no interrupted weeks?
I wouldn't bet on that - NCAA tournament if nothing else. 13 straight weeks of new episodes ain't gonna happen...

CC

post #2695 of 2698 Old Today, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I wouldn't bet on that - NCAA tournament if nothing else. 13 straight weeks of new episodes ain't gonna happen...
Show is on Tuesday. No NCAA games on Tuesday.
post #2696 of 2698 Old Today, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If a new show bombs, it might be back sooner than expected.
post #2697 of 2698 Old Today, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post

Some of the greatest shows on the history of TV have been 13 eps or less...
The Closer comes immediately to mind. POI should be so eagerly awaited each week.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #2698 of 2698 Old Today, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
Show is on Tuesday. No NCAA games on Tuesday.
I stand corrected - I thought the first-round games went all week.

I still think 13 straight weeks is a long shot, but a couple of 1-week breaks wouldn't bother me...

CC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming