Old 08-21-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post

AFAIK the contract extension the NFL made with Directv has the stipulation that an online version be available by 2012 for non-Directv customers. This is also why the "Red Zone" channel exists on cable providers systems.

The stipulation is that people who have no way to access Directv be able to purchase it via an online stream. In other words NYC residents, students in dorms, and people that live in large apartments with blocked views of the sky. Nothing is in their contracts to change that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

In the article it says:
"At the start of the season, viewers who do not currently have access to DIRECTV...."

Thats for people that are described here:

"It's our attempt to open up the universe a bit to people that can't get DirecTV - students, people who live in big apartment buildings and people who live in New York City - and it's a new revenue stream for us," DirecTV senior director of product management Alex Kaplan told Multichannel News.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...n_Consoles.php

If you have access to directv but just choose not to get directv then you dont qualify.
Its only meant for people like those mentioned above that cant get directv even if they wanted too.

Now if they give it to a person anyway thats another story.

Anyone who doesn't subscribe to Directv technically doesn't have access to it. Having access and having the ability to have access could be considered two different things. I think it's all in the terminonology....and I'm still convinced that if that was their intent they would be more clear about it. By being vague they would just end up giving themselves headaches by tying up CSR's and having a whole lot of confusion. Plus, that quote doesn't say you can ONLY get this if you live in an apt, are a student, etc. It simply says they are trying to open up access to those people. It makes sense that they are going to talk about the people who CAN'T get Directv service and not the people who CHOOSE to not have service. But that doesn't mean it's exclusive to those who can't. Plus, proving it would be nearly impossible. I can't get service because of trees and D* came out twice when we moved here. But they obviously don't keep notes because I still get calls at least monthly trying to get me back. Are they going to spend the money to have an installer go to the home of everyone who wants to sign up so they can prove that they can't get service? That may work for the online option that they didn't publicize at all, but not for this PS3 deal.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Question: If a non-subscriber can only get ST by proving they can't get DirectTV due to tree's, apartment etc.. and after proving it is allowed to access the online streaming version of ST, then what's the point of having it on the PS3 if you have to prove the same thing? Why not just access the streaming ST without a PS3 once proving you can't get DirectTV? Why go through a PS3 when you could go directly from your PC?

Unless you are allowed to access ST with a PS3 without having to prove you can't access DirectTV I don't see the point of using a PS3 unless DirectTV cut a deal with Sony to allow PS3 owners the same access and non-subscribers without having to prove they can't access it.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

Old 08-22-2011, 09:50 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHergenrader View Post

Quit your crying. Before the NFL and DirecTV renewed their contract ST was offered to Dish and other cable providers. DirecTV stepped up and kept it.

Crying? Sounds like a troll/flame repsonse which is clearly against the rules here. Hopefully the mods will delete your post. Is that the ony way you can make a point is by insulting people? Hey forget reason, logic, facts just throw insults around that's how you'll "win" an argument. Hopefuly one day you can have a discussion and make a point like a mature person and not with insults.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

Question: If a non-subscriber can only get ST by proving they can't get DirectTV due to tree's, apartment etc.. and after proving it is allowed to access the online streaming version of ST, then what's the point of having it on the PS3 if you have to prove the same thing? Why not just access the streaming ST without a PS3 once proving you can't get DirectTV? Why go through a PS3 when you could go directly from your PC?

Unless you are allowed to access ST with a PS3 without having to prove you can't access DirectTV I don't see the point of using a PS3 unless DirectTV cut a deal with Sony to allow PS3 owners the same access and non-subscribers without having to prove they can't access it.

Because a lot more people out there have PS3s hooked up to their TVs then people with computers hooked up to their TVs. DirecTV is coming up for a way for more people to be able to actually see it on their TV screen instead of forcing them to watch it on a computer just because they can't get DirecTV service.

As far as I know you will still be asked to prove that you can't subscribe to regular DirecTV service in order to get this service on the PS3. I believe this service on the PS3 is actually just the same Sunday Ticket To-Go service they offered last year to people who can't get DirecTV. The difference is this year they are adding an app to the Playstation so you can watch it on there instead of just on a computer or iPad/iPhone/Android device.

I am also fairly certain anyone who buys this PS3 service will actually have access to all of the other services as well (iPad/iPhone/Android/computer streaming).
Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not discounting what you are saying, but to me a simple HDMI cable from the PC to the TV gets you the "on the go" on your TV from your PC. Seems like they went throught a lot to cut a deal with Sony just to promote it on the PS3 just to eliminate running an HDMI from a PC to TV. If some doesn't have a PS3 and has to prove they can't get DirectTV buying an HDMI cable to run from the PC to the TV is a lot cheaper than buying a PS3.

Seems to me the only selling point would be buy a PS3 and you don't have to prove you can't get DirectTV versus don't buy a PS3 and you have to prove it to stream it on your PC.

It seems like Sony is using ST as a PS3 selling point. Ijust don't see the advantage to spending the money to buy a PS3 (if you don't have one) if you can get the same thing on your TV with an HDMI cable from your PC.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

I am also fairly certain anyone who buys this PS3 service will actually have access to all of the other services as well (iPad/iPhone/Android/computer streaming).

According to Directv you need the full service Sunday Ticket and to go through them to have access to watch on your computers/laptop and Ipads.

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3279

I have spoken with various Sony CS Supervisors and they continually tell me that the Sunday Ticket on PS3 will be available to anyone with a PSN account regardless if you have Directv or not.

Last season D* only made online ST available to those who had to prove they could not access D* services.

This is a new season and having ST on the PS3 is a whole different animal with alot of profit potential ,so I'am sure D* and Sony do not want to scourn the masses by limiting this great package.

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
Old 08-22-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I just got off the phone with DirectTV and was told the same thing. Anyone with a PS3 can get ST without having to prove they can't get DirectTV. I specifically asked if I'd be asked to prove I can't get DirectTV and the rep said "no anyone with a PS3 and Playstation account can get ST". If the CSR is correct then it makes sense why to use a PS3 vs streaming to your TV from a PC.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I just got off the phone with DirectTV and was told the same thing. Anyone with a PS3 can get ST without having to prove they can't get DirectTV. I specifically asked if I'd be asked to prove I can't get DirectTV and the rep said "no anyone with a PS3 and Playstation account can get ST". If the CSR is correct then it makes sense why to use a PS3 vs streaming to your TV from a PC.

Yes, they didn't make a deal with Sony to limit it to a few people. My question is NFLST going to come to other devices this season (Apple TV, Roku, Boxee, etc).
Old 08-22-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:

I'm not discounting what you are saying, but to me a simple HDMI cable from the PC to the TV gets you the "on the go" on your TV from your PC.

Most PCs don't have a HDMI port. People would have to get a new graphics card which many people won't care to do.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, but there's also VGA and composite video on PCs and TV's along with simple adapter cables for under $10 to go from VGA to composite (if the TV didn't have VGA). Which ever way a person chooses, a cable is a lot cheaper than buying a PS3 to watch football on your TV if you already paid for ST on-the-go because you can't get DirectTV in your area.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK, but there's also VGA and composite video on PCs and TV's along with simple adapter cables for under $10 to go from VGA to composite (if the TV didn't have VGA). Which ever way a person chooses, a cable is a lot cheaper than buying a PS3 to watch football on your TV if you already paid for ST on-the-go because you can't get DirectTV in your area.

It's about convenience. I doubt people will buy a PS3 just for NFLST. But studies have shown that the majority of people do not hook up a computer to their tv. However, many people already have a PS3 that they use for blu-ray and games. Now with the NFLST, it's just another feature to entice users to buy.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

That's my take on it. Adding ST to the PS3 is another selling point that adds to the list of reason to buy one. I've had one since launch day in the theater and when came down with the dreaded YLOD and bought a slim. I can't see myself getting ST due to the price being pretty steep but it's a great option for those willing to pay for it.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post

Yes, they didn't make a deal with Sony to limit it to a few people. My question is NFLST going to come to other devices this season (Apple TV, Roku, Boxee, etc).

This is nice news for football fans. And I do expect other platforms, most likely Sony's STB's or Blu-Ray players getting it added, and all the others to follow suit.

I won't be getting it because i live near my favorite team and get every game already. Plus I get about an additional 4-5 games extra(this includes the SNF/MNF games) eack week since I live in between Brown-Steelers territory, I get the best matchups(for the most part), of the week.

Question:

If the NFL is going to do this, why not just create an APP/link on the PS3 for the NFL Network and stream it for like $3-$4/month for those of us stuck with TWC and Cablevision.

I mean, why not just bypass those companies altogether, and stream your channel to people with PS3(and other boxes),a nd collect the money directly from the subs without having to pay cable companies?

Why not just do that, and then the debate will be over for those of us with TWC and Cablevison who are left out.

I am sure there are some legal things about it which are not allowed, but it seems like an idea they would persue.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh and second question:

So, if I decided to get NFL Sunday Ticket through my PS3, I would not need to "PROVE" to DirecTV that I can't get their service, right? Which I could, no problem, but I don't want it.

So then, I could go buy Gift Cards at Giant Eagle(located near me in NW Pennsylvania, and NE Ohio) for my account on the Playstation Network Store, add the Funds, and then just "BUY" the NFL Sunday ticket? Plus get either $.10cents/$.20cents off/per gallon of gas because of the Giant Eagle giveaway to it's customers. At $.20cents/per gallon, that comes to $1.40-$1.50 off/per gallon of gas. NICE!!!!! if true?

Kinda like Buying,a nd downloading a video game for the PS3 at the store, or am I incorrect?

If the above is all true, that is a nice added bonus to the PS3, and I wonder if XBOX360 can be far behind, or if they are screwed. That would hurt.

NOT TRYING TO START A FLAME WAR HERE BETWEEN XBOX360 OWNERS and PS3 OWNERS. just a passing observation.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

Oh and second question:

So, if I decided to get NFL Sunday Ticket through my PS3, I would not need to "PROVE" to DirecTV that I can't get their service, right? Which I could, no problem, but I don't want it.

So then, I could go buy Gift Cards at Giant Eagle(located near me in NW Pennsylvania, and NE Ohio) for my account on the Playstation Network Store, add the Funds, and then just "BUY" the NFL Sunday ticket? Plus get either $.10cents/$.20cents off/per gallon of gas because of the Giant Eagle giveaway to it's customers. At $.20cents/per gallon, that comes to $1.40-$1.50 off/per gallon of gas. NICE!!!!! if true?

Kinda like Buying,a nd downloading a video game for the PS3 at the store, or am I incorrect?

If the above is all true, that is a nice added bonus to the PS3, and I wonder if XBOX360 can be far behind, or if they are screwed. That would hurt.

NOT TRYING TO START A FLAME WAR HERE BETWEEN XBOX360 OWNERS and PS3 OWNERS. just a passing observation.

As someone that owns both consoles, this isn't going to have any appreciable affect on the current 360-PS3 situation. As a sports fan, I'd much rather have ESPN 3 than have the option to pay 350 bucks for 17 days of football games.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

I just spoke with Directv and they mentioned that the sign up/log-in for PS3 will start on Sept.6th and that everyone will be signing up through Sony possibly the PSN store/Qriocity service.That basically Sony will be in charge of the sign ups.

Also you do not have to prove that you cant recieve Directv services to qualify"Everyone With A PSN Account is eligble" per Directv CS Stephanie.Also this has been stated by a mod over on DBSTalk named Tom R. who has insider hook-ups.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=195903&page=3

My main concern is at what will the quality levels for the HD streams be like.MLBTV produces 4.5mbps for their HD streams and I'am hoping Directv/Sony can top it and give us top notch quality as I have Road Runner Lightning 40/5 internet and would like to put it to good use...

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Old 08-22-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

I just spoke with Directv and they mentioned that the sign up/log-in for PS3 will start on Sept.6th and that everyone will be signing up through Sony possibly the PSN store/Qriocity service.That basically Sony will be in charge of the sign ups.

Also you do not have to prove that you cant recieve Directv services to qualify"Everyone With A PSN Account is eligble" per Directv CS Stephanie.Also this has been stated by a mod over on DBSTalk named Tom R. who has insider hook-ups.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=195903&page=3

My main concern is at what will the quality levels for the HD streams be like.MLBTV produces 4.5mbps for their HD streams and I'am hoping Directv/Sony can top it and give us top notch quality as I have Road Runner Lightning 40/5 internet and would like to put it to good use...

4.5 mbps is actually quite good. Netflix HD tops out at 4800 kbps. you do realize that even HD via OTA tops out at 19 Mbps and most channels don't even do that. Many are in the 11-15 Mbps range. And that's with mpeg-2. HD streams from Sunday Ticket would use something better than mpeg-2.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

4.5 mbps is actually quite good. Netflix HD tops out at 4800 kbps. you do realize that even HD via OTA tops out at 19 Mbps and most channels don't even do that. Many are in the 11-15 Mbps range. And that's with mpeg-2. HD streams from Sunday Ticket would use something better than mpeg-2.

While this might be true in theory, streamed NFL Sunday Ticket does not look as good as OTA or DirecTV. Just a fact.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
While this might be true in theory, streamed NFL Sunday Ticket does not look as good as OTA or DirecTV. Just a fact.
Also, the masses of people who are going to try this. I wonder if they have the ability to "handle" all of this between 12pm-7pm EST on Sundays.

The biggest/mass group IMHO that will be getting this is college kids. No question, they will be the biggest subs.

And the NFL/Sony has not even begin to market this yet. Wait until the masses hear about this.

I didn't know about this until yesterday, reading it here.

And I thought the thread was a joke/come on to something else. Glad I read it.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I still dont understand why this is available to everyone when the internet only option from a few years ago wasnt.

Even the articles are basically worded the same way -- why is directv doing this PS3 version different ?

Old 08-23-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

There must be some advantage for D* by cutting the PS3 deal with Sony. Perhaps Sony invisions selling more PS3s and has promised a very small portion of pS3 sales to D*. Who knows there must be some monetary value to both sides for them to do this.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

I still dont understand why this is available to everyone when the internet only option from a few years ago wasnt.

Even the articles are basically worded the same way -- why is directv doing this PS3 version different ?

It's been known for about 6 months that Directv was bringing NFLST to devices starting this season. They wouldn't spend the resources on this effort if they were limiting it to the few people who can not get Directv. We can expect to see it on more devices by next season I would assume. This is probably why you see Sunday Ticket offered for free to new customers. My guess is this is how they can entice new customers while they are offering a streaming option for people not willing to switch.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Considering Sunday Ticket has NEVER been streamed through the PS3 before you can't make that statement. Even so

A) OTA? Since I'm 800 miles form Tampa the % of Bucs games have been able to see via OTA have been minimal. just a fact.

B) DirecTv? $340 is already a lot of money. The addition of at least another $500 a year just to have DirecTv is simply not worth any supposed improvement. just a fact
Old 08-23-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Considering Sunday Ticket has NEVER been streamed through the PS3 before you can't make that statement. Even so

A) OTA? Since I'm 800 miles form Tampa the % of Bucs games have been able to see via OTA have been minimal. just a fact.

B) DirecTv? $340 is already a lot of money. The addition of at least another $500 a year just to have DirecTv is simply not worth any supposed improvement. just a fact

I've NEVER seen streamed video content look as good as OTA or DirecTV HD content. At some point, it may be possible. If PS3 looks as good, I'll be the first to say I was wrong. However, I'd bet I'm right.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:

I've NEVER seen streamed video content look as good as OTA or DirecTV HD content. At some point, it may be possible. If PS3 looks as good, I'll be the first to say I was wrong. However, I'd bet I'm right.

Oh now you BET? Shall I re-quote you

Quote:

streamed NFL Sunday Ticket does not look as good as OTA or DirecTV. Just a fact.

DOES NOT is a pretty definitive statement. Plus you added that it was a FACT. Not you're not so sure?

At any rate I've watched Netflix on my HDTV. Looks fine. I've watch ESPN3 on the XBOX 360. Once again looks fine. I'm sure if one weants to be super nit picky maybe you're right then. Most people aren't super nit picky.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Once again looks fine. I'm sure if one weants to be super nit picky maybe you're right then. Most people aren't super nit picky.

Actually, most of the young(30 and under), are nit picky. They have no idea what an actual "good" picture is.

When I was a kid in NJ growing up(1980's), and I was able to watch a Pirates-Phillies game after moving the antenna just right to get it, and watch it.

And there was a lot snow/cross noise, but still, watchable. of course this was on a 27" console tv, which back then was considered big

Alot of young people have no idea what "watchable" is.

The REBUFFERING is a PIA, no doubt. But the picture coming from something that is not rebuffering every little bit or so is fine.

Star Trek: The Next Generation downloaded epidoes from Netflix on my ROKU(set at 720p HD since it is an older one) shown in 4:3 on my 40" Samsung LCD looks really good, and HD shows look great.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh now you BET? Shall I re-quote you

Please do...although, I expect the same in return when you find I'm correct.

Quote:

DOES NOT is a pretty definitive statement. Plus you added that it was a FACT. Not you're not so sure?

At any rate I've watched Netflix on my HDTV. Looks fine. I've watch ESPN3 on the XBOX 360. Once again looks fine. I'm sure if one weants to be super nit picky maybe you're right then. Most people aren't super nit picky.

Actually, I've watched Sunday Ticket streamed to the PC for the past couple of years via DirecTV. Looking "fine" is not the same as looking like OTA or DirecTV HD.

Quite honestly, MLB.tv looks much better than Sunday Ticket. However, ST is watchable. It's just not how I choose to watch it. I can't see them changing the codec for PS3 and making it different or substantially better than it has been the last couple of years.

If you can say you've seen streamed live video that looks as good as HD provided from OTA or DirecTV, please show me the source. I'd love to be wrong.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

We use a 1080p Mitsubishi HC3800 projector in the theater and OTA HD looks way better then Netflix HD on our 108" screen. I'm also very picky though.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you can say you've seen streamed live video that looks as good as HD provided from OTA or DirecTV, please show me the source. I'd love to be wrong.

Vudu HDX 1080p/5.1 DD+ streamed @4.5mbps-9mbps on my PS3 looks better than any HD channel on Directv and Cable...Remeber its being streamed..

If the programmers from Sunday Ticket can get the codecs to work like Vudu and Netflix then we are in business.

Hopefully we will get HD streams at 720p @ 4.5mbps - 8mbps for Sunday Ticket with minimal buffering and tiling......Fingers crossed.

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR