post #91 of 688 Old 08-23-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

Vudu HDX 1080p/5.1 DD+ streamed @4.5mbps-9mbps on my PS3 looks better than any HD channel on Directv and Cable...Remeber its being streamed..

If the programmers from Sunday Ticket can get the codecs to work like Vudu and Netflix then we are in business.

Hopefully we will get HD streams at 720p @ 4.5mbps - 8mbps for Sunday Ticket with minimal buffering and tiling......Fingers crossed.

Is that live video? I think that might be part of the streaming issue. I'll have to check out Vudu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 688 Old 08-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post
Vudu HDX 1080p/5.1 DD+ streamed @4.5mbps-9mbps on my PS3 looks better than any HD channel on Directv and Cable...Remeber its being streamed..
It's also not encoded on the fly like live streaming.
post #93 of 688 Old 08-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post
It's also not encoded on the fly like live streaming.
The only sports subscription that looks half way decent and encoded live on the fly at mp4/h264 720p/4.5mbps is MLBTV on the PS3 and when the HD locks in and stays steady the stream is comparable to uverse's HD channel line-up...(I know its not saying much)

Granted Baseball is a slow moving game so the picture holds better.But I just wonder how are they gonna make the HD stream on Sunday Ticket hold up with all the movement going on,added bandwidth and better codecs than mlbtv I hope....

They better have all the bug fixes worked out when it goes live because customers will be livid after they paid $340.00 for an inferior product...

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #94 of 688 Old 08-23-2011, 07:55 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post

Please do...although, I expect the same in return when you find I'm correct.

Actually, I've watched Sunday Ticket streamed to the PC for the past couple of years via DirecTV. Looking "fine" is not the same as looking like OTA or DirecTV HD.

Quite honestly, MLB.tv looks much better than Sunday Ticket. However, ST is watchable. It's just not how I choose to watch it. I can't see them changing the codec for PS3 and making it different or substantially better than it has been the last couple of years.

If you can say you've seen streamed live video that looks as good as HD provided from OTA or DirecTV, please show me the source. I'd love to be wrong.

Ok let's just say you are correct and ST on DirecTv looks better than on the PS3. Here's the rub, I'd be paying over $850 a year for that vs $340 with the PS3 version. The PQ in my book would not be $500 better. To pay $40 a game EXTRA for slightly better PQ is not value in my book.
post #95 of 688 Old 08-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I will be testing all of this out. As I have access to all. Is the ps3 option a $50 option for current subs or not? I have read both.

Direc on the PC has been freaking great. I didn't use it last year, and it looks like this year they may be using a different app. Used to be a stand alone software, now it looks browser based. So who knows.

For those with ST already, you know Direc compresses the hell out the sat feed. Is it bad? No. Anywhere near OTA heck no.

And honestly. Till you have had NFL ST don't comment about the price. If you are a hardcore/die-hard it is well worth the $340. I do think they should allow payment plans though.

FYI expect issues week 1. I cannot remember a season where something didnt get screwed up on the streaming side week 1. But on the plus, you complain enough, I always got a refund/credit of some sort. But now that is this directly though PSN not sure how at would work.

The "Red-zone" channel from NFLN is NOTHING compared to the Redzone channel from DirecTV. For the price I get it, it is cheap. But still. Lol
post #96 of 688 Old 08-23-2011, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I'm a diehard fan and no, it is not worth 340 bucks. I was happily paying for it when it was 149. Once it hit 199 I refused to pay full price and fortunately Directv gave me great deals. But once it hit 299 it wasn't even worth it with a deal. All I need now is free Redzone channel. If there's a game on that isn't being televised locally, I can just pop in to one of many sports bars or restaurants and simply watch it there.
post #97 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
1) If it's a PS3 account, so I can just log into a friend's PS3 when traveling with my account, and it should work fine? Will it work when I travel to Canada?
2) If I decide to pay a friend who has NFL ST on Direct TV an extra 50 bucks so he can get the online option, can I login at the same time he is watching the game on TV? I understand multiple logins are not allowed. But would they monitor the online use versus the same time TV use? Also, will it work when I travel outside the US? OUtside North America?
post #98 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantar View Post

1) If it's a PS3 account, so I can just log into a friend's PS3 when traveling with my account, and it should work fine? Will it work when I travel to Canada?
2) If I decide to pay a friend who has NFL ST on Direct TV an extra 50 bucks so he can get the online option, can I login at the same time he is watching the game on TV? I understand multiple logins are not allowed. But would they monitor the online use versus the same time TV use? Also, will it work when I travel outside the US? OUtside North America?

Just like Hulu, it won't work outside the US. And yes you can pay someone with Sunday Ticket on Directv 50 bucks to use the online access as long as they're not using it.
post #99 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Ok let's just say you are correct and ST on DirecTv looks better than on the PS3. Here's the rub, I'd be paying over $850 a year for that vs $340 with the PS3 version. The PQ in my book would not be $500 better. To pay $40 a game EXTRA for slightly better PQ is not value in my book.

I certainly understand your argument here.
post #100 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I can pretty much guarantee that it will look better on DirecTV. I'm sure that the PS3 version will use the same streams the PC version uses and it is much better on DirecTV then on the PC.

Do you not have any pay TV service? If you do then you really wouldn't be paying $500 more a year just to get Sunday Ticket, because you could just cancel your other TV service to make up that difference. Not to mention a lot of people with DirecTV don't pay the full $380 price for Sunday Ticket and To-Go. A lot are getting $200 or more off on Sunday Ticket, and free to go. That means more like $140 for both. I haven't had a chance to call in yet so I'm not sure what I'll end up paying this year but I know last year I only paid about $150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

And yes you can pay someone with Sunday Ticket on Directv 50 bucks to use the online access as long as they're not using it.

And if you get caught doing so you and the person with the DirecTV account could get in big trouble. This is definitely against DirecTV's Terms Of Service and could easily be considered theft of service.
post #101 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantar View Post

It isn't clear how it will work yet. It may require the purchase through PSN which would be tied to your PSN username. My guess is they will allow this option and also allow Directv users to login (one's who have the package). But non-directv users will probably not purchase through Directv.
post #102 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

I can pretty much guarantee that it will look better on DirecTV. I'm sure that the PS3 version will use the same streams the PC version uses and it is much better on DirecTV then on the PC.

Not necesserily....MLBTV on PC and MLBTV on PS3 use different streams and codecs,bitrate and bandwidth....PC = 3000kbps PS3 = 4.5 mbps.MLBTV PS3 is highly superior to its online pc counter part.

Also one added plus to having the ST on PS3 is if its pouring rain or a snow storm you dont have to worry about the dreaded "Loss of Signal" on your D* reciever.

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #103 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can I pay 100 dollars and add 2 PS3's for streaming on my 1 DirecTV account?
post #104 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you not have any pay TV service? If you do then you really wouldn't be paying $500 more a year just to get Sunday Ticket, because you could just cancel your other TV service to make up that difference. Not to mention a lot of people with DirecTV don't pay the full $380 price for Sunday Ticket and To-Go. A lot are getting $200 or more off on Sunday Ticket, and free to go. That means more like $140 for both. I haven't had a chance to call in yet so I'm not sure what I'll end up paying this year but I know last year I only paid about $150.

And if you get caught doing so you and the person with the DirecTV account could get in big trouble. This is definitely against DirecTV's Terms Of Service and could easily be considered theft of service.

Outside of you calling Directv and telling them you're doing it, there's no way they'll know.
post #105 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

Can I pay 100 dollars and add 2 PS3's for streaming on my 1 DirecTV account?

Depends if they are doing it based on the actual PS3 or based on the PSN account.
post #106 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Do you not have any pay TV service? If you do then you really wouldn't be paying $500 more a year just to get Sunday Ticket, because you could just cancel your other TV service to make up that difference.

Don't you think that if I wanted DirecTv I would already have DirecTv? Did it ever occur to you that some people either can't or just don't want DirecTv.

Quote:

Not to mention a lot of people with DirecTV don't pay the full $380 price for Sunday Ticket and To-Go. A lot are getting $200 or more off on Sunday Ticket, and free to go. That means more like $140 for both. I haven't had a chance to call in yet so I'm not sure what I'll end up paying this year but I know last year I only paid about $150.

Yeah that's for people that already have had Sunday Ticket. So those discounts do me no good. The fact remains that getting Sunday Ticket on DirecTv requires DirecTv service which is at minimum $30 a month plus taxes.
post #107 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 11:21 AM

People continue to mention the $50.00 add on for PS3 access - which was on the original press release. I think that has changed though to free access for DTV Sunday Ticket subscribers, based upon the wording in the release (which I assume was revised).
Quote:

How do you get in the game? At the start of the season, viewers who do not currently have access to DIRECTV will be able to subscribe to NFL SUNDAY TICKET at the season price of $339.95. Existing DIRECTV customers who already have NFL SUNDAY TICKET and NFL SUNDAY TICKET To-Go through DIRECTV can access the service on their PS3 for no additional charge.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...comment-630569
post #108 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 11:28 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaussie View Post

People continue to mention the $50.00 add on for PS3 access - which was on the original press release. I think that has changed though to free access for DTV Sunday Ticket subscribers, based upon the wording in the release (which I assume was revised).

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...comment-630569

If you are a DirecTV customer, it is free with ST To-Go. To-Go is technically a $50 add-on for DirecTV ST subscribers, although many of us have had it thrown in for free. http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/conten..._online_mobile
post #109 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Don't you think that if I wanted DirecTv I would already have DirecTv? Did it ever occur to you that some people either can't or just don't want DirecTv.

Yeah that's for people that already have had Sunday Ticket. So those discounts do me no good. The fact remains that getting Sunday Ticket on DirecTv requires DirecTv service which is at minimum $30 a month plus taxes.

+1

And that is the whole point of this.

For the first time(for most), someone can get NFL ST WITHOUT having to get DirecTV "base" programming first, which is a HUGE savings.

$350/12months=$29.17/month for ALL NFL FOOTBALL GAMES. Plus of course the cost/per month of broadband/DSL/FIOS access.

That is still a helluva alot cheaper than going the DirecTV route. I can't believe Liberty actually MADE/SIGNED this deal in 2010. I would never have given the money they gave for NFL ST if I knew this was in there.

If it were to begin with the 2014 season(last season of the current deal), then fine. But this takes away DirecTV's #1 advantage(EXCLUSETIVITY. How do you spell that?) over everyone else. Some very short sighted people signed off on this, and if I were in charge, heads would roll because of it.

Not from the NFL point of view. Simply brilliant. This is why I see them potentially giving their own NFL Network channel a chance to stream as an option for those who can't get it at all. Just as an option, month to month.

Boy, if I were DirecTV execs, I would be FURIOUS. But this is great. I love more options/choice.

This would be like being able to sign up to HBO/Showtime/Starz/Cinemax indvidually, with NO NEED/Requirement for base programming first. Just get them streamed directly to your PS3 for per month charge, with no base programming required.

This could be the beginning of that sort of revolution.
post #110 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm just saying you can't act like this is saving you $500 a year if you are spending most of that $500 a year paying for your Comcast/Dish service. You could easily cancel your Comcast/Dish service and pay the same amount.

No, those deals aren't just for people who have already had Sunday Ticket. I got a similar deal the first time I ever signed up for Sunday ticket, 4 months after I had become a DirecTV customer (they didn't give away Sunday Ticket for free when I signed up). Not to mention the fact that pretty much anyone who signs up for DirecTV right now gets Sunday Ticket and To-Go for free this year.

So chances are you could drop your current service provider, sign up for DirecTV, get Sunday Ticket and To-Go for free, and get almost 10 months of DirecTV Choice Xtra service for the same amount of money you are going to spend on Sunday Ticket for your PS3. So you actually would be saving whatever you are paying Comcast/Dish/etc. over the next 10 months. Sure you are locked in to 14 more months of DirecTV service after that, but you still get a pretty good discount in your second year so it's probably cheaper than what you currently pay for service, and you can probably get Sunday Ticket and To-Go cheap next year too.
post #111 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

Some very short sighted people signed off on this, and if I were in charge, heads would roll because of it.

Directv signed the extension so they were fully aware of this. They don't lose their advantage since they are offering ST for free to new customers. I would imagine this is the deal they will continue to use in the coming years to entice new users. If people aren't willing to switch to Directv and get ST for free, then they should have no problem taking $350 per customer. These customers would never switch to Directv anyways.
post #112 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutdotnet View Post

The "Red-zone" channel from NFLN is NOTHING compared to the Redzone channel from DirecTV.

Really ?

Whats the difference between them ?

post #113 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws192 View Post

If you are a DirecTV customer, it is free with ST To-Go. To-Go is technically a $50 add-on for DirecTV ST subscribers, although many of us have had it thrown in for free. http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/conten..._online_mobile

Gotcha - thanks for the clarification.
post #114 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Directv signed the extension so they were fully aware of this. They don't lose their advantage since they are offering ST for free to new customers. I would imagine this is the deal they will continue to use in the coming years to entice new users. If people aren't willing to switch to Directv and get ST for free, then they should have no problem taking $350 per customer. These customers would never switch to Directv anyways.

Good point. I, personally, just never would have signed off on it, in it's current state. Plus, I am sure DirecTV makes the "bulk" of it's NFL ST money off of bars. Depending on seating capacity, they make a pretty penny, so maybe the loss of individual subs won't hurt as much

I am just waiting until the word about this really spreads.

We here at AVSForums know alot about this, but the masses don't.

I will be very curious to see what happens when word really hits the streets about this.
post #115 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Exactly, DirecTV is still the one making most of the money off of this PS3 App/channel/whatever you want to call it. It's not costing DirecTV any more money (other than development costs/etc.) and they are bringing in more revenue. They realize most of the people paying for this will never switch over to DirecTV because they can't or they have some personal reason for not wanting too. Since they will never get them as a regular DirecTV customer why not still try to make some money off them?

The fact of the matter is the NFL is playing a tricky balance game here. They want to get NFL Sunday Ticket available to more people, but not too many. IF they get it available to too many the viewership on local channels will start to go down, which will piss off local advertisers and in turn the local stations. The local stations then get pissed off and don't want to pay the NFL as much for the rights to the games.

For example in Chicago Empire Carpet pays a bunch of money to the local FOX station to air ads during the Bears games. The local FOX station uses that money to pay the NFL for the rights to carry the Bears games. If a bunch of viewers in Illinois suddenly starts watching the other game on FOX at noon from Dallas/San Fran/Boston etc. instead of the Bears game on the local FOX stations those local stations aren't getting as many local viewers as they used to. So now Empire Carpet demands a lower price for their ad time since fewer people are watching the Bears games. Since the local FOX station isn't making as much money on ads they tell the NFL they won't pay as much money for the rights to the games, etc.
post #116 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Exactly, DirecTV is still the one making most of the money off of this PS3 App/channel/whatever you want to call it. It's not costing DirecTV any more money (other than development costs/etc.) and they are bringing in more revenue.

I am confused. How is DirecTV making "more" money off this? I am a little lost on this.

Is this going to be an app directly taking u to DirecTV, and the streaming is coming directly from them?

Or does this "circumvent" DirecTV altogether? Therefore the NFL, alone, gets this money?

This is where I am lost. If DirecTV is still getting a "piece" of every PS3 signup for NFL ST, and Redzone, then that changes my opinion on the deal altogther.

If not, then I still say it was "somewhat" foolish to lose exclusive content midway through the deal. That is my own opinion.

But this why I love AVSForum. I can learn more about it. And if I am wrong, no problem admitting to it.

Do you know this for sure about the app? And do you have something to back this up? OBJECTION!!
post #117 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
This article may answer some of your questions. Sounds like they are counting on defraying cost and banking on PS3 ST people to one day be D* subscribers.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...ion-offer.html

Quote:

College Students

If DirecTV is satisfied with the results of its PlayStation 3 partnership, the company could potentially pre-load Internet- connected televisions with its app, said Kaplan. Target audiences of the PlayStation partnership include residents in cities such as New York, where tall buildings prevent a clear signal for satellites, and video-game playing college students, he said. “Getting the NFL to people who aren’t DirecTV subscribers certainly helps to defray the costs of broadcasting the games,” said analyst Matthew Harrigan at Wunderlich Securities in Denver. DirecTV is paying the NFL about $1 billion per season through 2014 for the rights to the games.

There’s a risk the partnership with Tokyo-based Sony could cannibalize potential DirecTV satellite subscribers or lead to cancellations, Kaplan said. “Sunday Ticket” is one of DirecTV’s primary promotional tools for new customer additions. As a result, the company is capping the number of PlayStation subscribers to test how the partnership will affect the satellite business, he said.

Capping Subscriptions

While marketing “Sunday Ticket” to non-DirecTV subscribers is a move away from satellite television, the goal is to turn PlayStation users into future DirecTV customers, said Kaplan.

“There are real revenue opportunities here from non- DirecTV customers, and while they won’t sign up for DirecTV right away, ultimately these people could move to the suburbs, and we’ll have a relationship with them that could lead to a conversion to DirecTV,” said Kaplan.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #118 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

I am confused. How is DirecTV making "more" money off this? I am a little lost on this.

Is this going to be an app directly taking u to DirecTV, and the streaming is coming directly from them?

Or does this "circumvent" DirecTV altogether? Therefore the NFL, alone, gets this money?

This is where I am lost. If DirecTV is still getting a "piece" of every PS3 signup for NFL ST, and Redzone, then that changes my opinion on the deal altogther.

If not, then I still say it was "somewhat" foolish to lose exclusive content midway through the deal. That is my own opinion.

But this why I love AVSForum. I can learn more about it. And if I am wrong, no problem admitting to it.

Do you know this for sure about the app? And do you have something to back this up? OBJECTION!!

DirecTv has the rights to Sunday Ticket. ALL of Sunday Ticket. So when a PS3 owner signs up for Sunday Ticket DirecTv gets money.
post #119 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:

I'm just saying you can't act like this is saving you $500 a year if you are spending most of that $500 a year paying for your Comcast/Dish service. You could easily cancel your Comcast/Dish service and pay the same amount.

Maybe I do not want DirecTv. Which part of that don't you get? Maybe I'm getting a deal with my cable company. Maybe my cable company which is also my ISP charges an extra $10 a month if you have internet only.
Quote:
Not to mention the fact that pretty much anyone who signs up for DirecTV right now gets Sunday Ticket and To-Go for free this year.

THIS year. And you're required to sign a TWO year contract. Once again. $30a month for 12 month plus tax is $400 a year for minimum DirecTv service. PS3 NFLST is $340. So even is NFLST is free on DirecTv $340 is still less than$400

Quote:
So chances are you could drop your current service provider, sign up for DirecTV, get Sunday Ticket and To-Go for free, and get almost 10 months of DirecTV Choice Xtra service for the same amount of money you are going to spend on Sunday Ticket for your PS3. So you actually would be saving whatever you are paying Comcast/Dish/etc.

Which part of "I don't want DirecTv service" Do I need to explain? You read English right? I'm posting in English right? Where is the confusion? Help me help you understand my point.
post #120 of 688 Old 08-24-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

MLBTV for the PS3 has been lousy the past couple years. I have almost 15mb cable high speed and the games freeze, spinning circle and buffer, quality goes from 4.5mbps down to lower quality and takes time to get back to HD 4.5mb again. Since recent Sony update, the games have been doing their out of control instant replay loop over and over and over. I woke up in the middle of the night when I left a game on and I thought I was having a repeated nightmare 75 times in a row.

MLBTV uses a program called NEXDEF and it's a piece of GARBAGE!

Even on the 4.5meg streams, when a ball goes into the crowd or say a hit into the outfield there is ALOT of compression. More than you'd ever see on Directv or Dish. Please weigh in if you agree with me! The PQ for HD detail is better but on movement it's worse than last season. LOL, i've had MLBTV since 350k video quality was the only option!
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page