Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 688 Old 08-17-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Its kind of the same deal they offer already where if you cant get access to directv (no line of sight, idiot landlord etc.) then you can get ST thru the internet....the difference here is its thru PS3.

post #3 of 688 Old 08-17-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Yeah, now that I read it, it is worded like that. Not a good deal at all.
post #4 of 688 Old 08-17-2011, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 31
As I posted in the BHN Orlando thread.

NBA League Pass is $175-$200 with games for 5 1/2 months almost every night of the week.

MLB Extra innings is around $200 I think with games every night for 6 months.

NHL Center Ice is around $170 with games every night for 6 months.

NFL Sunday Ticket is $349 for 17 days a year.

That is a ridiculous rip-off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 688 Old 08-17-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDOrlando View Post

I suppose it depends on your perspective. $20 per Sunday is not a bad deal for me. A bunch of friends get together, we eat and enjoy the ability to watch whatever game we desire. I'd rather the price be lower, but I'd also rather be able to watch my Colts every week.

BTW, I won't use PS3, I have DirecTV.
post #6 of 688 Old 08-17-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I posted in the BHN Orlando thread.

NBA League Pass is $175-$200 with games for 5 1/2 months almost every night of the week.

MLB Extra innings is around $200 I think with games every night for 6 months.

NHL Center Ice is around $170 with games every night for 6 months.

Everyone can get a $$ discount on sunday ticket by calling directv.
Alot are getting at least $120 off, some $200, some $250, some even getting it free so $349 is meaningless #.

Also regular season games are big in the NFL unlike the other sports where the seasons drone on & on endlessly & you win you lose you win you lose rinse repeat.

Thats why nbc, cbs, fox avg 20,000,000 people per NFL game.
No other pro sport comes even close to that.

oh....should add its really 34 days of content since every monday they replay every game.

post #7 of 688 Old 08-17-2011, 04:30 PM

My sister has directv with the free sunday ticket. If I get a ps3 would I be able to take advantage of it at my place using her account?

PS3 price just dropped, I was thinking of picking one up... this would help that decision along...
post #8 of 688 Old 08-17-2011, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceywilly View Post

My sister has directv with the free sunday ticket. If I get a ps3 would I be able to take advantage of it at my place using her account?

PS3 price just dropped, I was thinking of picking one up... this would help that decision along...

She'd need to pay the additional 50 bucks for the Sunday Ticket PC streaming access, in which case yeah then you could use it by logging in via her account info.
post #9 of 688 Old 08-17-2011, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice.. sucks that you can't talk em down on the price though. maybe mid-season..
post #10 of 688 Old 08-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Everyone can get a $$ discount on sunday ticket by calling directv.
Alot are getting at least $120 off, some $200, some $250, some even getting it free so $349 is meaningless #.

Also regular season games are big in the NFL unlike the other sports where the seasons drone on & on endlessly & you win you lose you win you lose rinse repeat.

Thats why nbc, cbs, fox avg 20,000,000 people per NFL game.
No other pro sport comes even close to that.

oh....should add its really 34 days of content since every monday they replay every game.

Don't say everyone, I've been turned down twice for the discount. Calling one more time tomorrow.
post #11 of 688 Old 08-17-2011, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman87 View Post

Don't say everyone, I've been turned down twice for the discount. Calling one more time tomorrow.

There was a "general rules" posted that was written up....its really good:

1.) Call 1-800-DIRECTV during the day early in the week. Don’t call at night since they do have one outsourced call center and you don’t want that.
2.) When asked why you are calling at the first automated prompt, say “CANCEL SERVICE.” You’ll be asked by the automated prompt if you want to cancel some programming or your entire service, say again “CANCEL SERVICE.” All this does is direct your call to a Retention Department Customer Service Rep (CSR). You want Retention CSR’s only because they hand out credits and freebies like candy.
3.) Doing this connects you to the retention CSR. They won’t say “retention,” and likewise, you should never say anything about cancelling your service to a live person.
4.) For me, if I draw a male CSR, I usually hang up and start over since I find the female retention CSR’s are the best in terms of deals/credits. Some people find this extreme though and it’s not technically necessary.
5.) When you speak to them, be very friendly and naïve. If they offer you a great deal at some point, you should sound like you are blown away, not expecting it.
6.) Mention that you saw the deal that NFL ST is now included if you get the premier pkg and you want it. 99.99% chance they will respond that it is a new customer offer only, but if in the slight chance they let you get that, take it. It’s too good of a deal to pass up.
7.) Ask them something to the effect of “Money is tight this year, what can you do for me?” At this point they should make you an offer for NFL ST for this season. Anything from free all the way down to $10/month off for 6-12 months. If the deal offered is free or $250 one-time credit, take it and run. If not, proceed with next steps.
8.) If you get anything else that you don’t like, mention that you have some friends you know of who are getting a one-time $250 credit. This is 100% true, I have seen people’s account statements with this credit. Ideally that should get you the $250 credit or maybe something on the order of $200. You may also get other discounts or freebies that you can consider.
9.) If the deal at that point is awesome, confirm the deal with them and take it.
10.) If the deal is not that great, just tell them you need to think about what you are going to do this year for football and end the call.
11.) Start back at step 1 again if you passed on the deal from the first call. The offers will vary based on which CSR you get, what kind of mood they are in, and how much they like you, etc. Being friendly is key. Sometimes it takes several calls. Usually the best bet is try again the next day, although if it is closer to the beginning of the season, trying again in an hour or so is okay too.
12.) For future calls, you can say the same thing you have said before OR simply talk about how expensive it is, but you (or your wife) really wants it.

post #12 of 688 Old 08-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Of course none of that will work for non-Directv customers. So those wishing to watch on their PS3 that aren't Directv customers will have to pay that price. For streaming (which will undoubtedly be worse quality), it's crazy to expect people to pay that price. It's almost 3 times more than all the other major sports for streaming regular season access.
post #13 of 688 Old 08-17-2011, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

There was a "general rules" posted that was written up....its really good:

1.) Call 1-800-DIRECTV during the day early in the week. Don't call at night since they do have one outsourced call center and you don't want that.
2.) When asked why you are calling at the first automated prompt, say CANCEL SERVICE. You'll be asked by the automated prompt if you want to cancel some programming or your entire service, say again CANCEL SERVICE. All this does is direct your call to a Retention Department Customer Service Rep (CSR). You want Retention CSR's only because they hand out credits and freebies like candy.
3.) Doing this connects you to the retention CSR. They won't say retention, and likewise, you should never say anything about cancelling your service to a live person.
4.) For me, if I draw a male CSR, I usually hang up and start over since I find the female retention CSR's are the best in terms of deals/credits. Some people find this extreme though and it's not technically necessary.
5.) When you speak to them, be very friendly and naïve. If they offer you a great deal at some point, you should sound like you are blown away, not expecting it.
6.) Mention that you saw the deal that NFL ST is now included if you get the premier pkg and you want it. 99.99% chance they will respond that it is a new customer offer only, but if in the slight chance they let you get that, take it. It's too good of a deal to pass up.
7.) Ask them something to the effect of Money is tight this year, what can you do for me? At this point they should make you an offer for NFL ST for this season. Anything from free all the way down to $10/month off for 6-12 months. If the deal offered is free or $250 one-time credit, take it and run. If not, proceed with next steps.
8.) If you get anything else that you don't like, mention that you have some friends you know of who are getting a one-time $250 credit. This is 100% true, I have seen people's account statements with this credit. Ideally that should get you the $250 credit or maybe something on the order of $200. You may also get other discounts or freebies that you can consider.
9.) If the deal at that point is awesome, confirm the deal with them and take it.
10.) If the deal is not that great, just tell them you need to think about what you are going to do this year for football and end the call.
11.) Start back at step 1 again if you passed on the deal from the first call. The offers will vary based on which CSR you get, what kind of mood they are in, and how much they like you, etc. Being friendly is key. Sometimes it takes several calls. Usually the best bet is try again the next day, although if it is closer to the beginning of the season, trying again in an hour or so is okay too.
12.) For future calls, you can say the same thing you have said before OR simply talk about how expensive it is, but you (or your wife) really wants it.

These rules look familiar...because they are from me on dbstalk.

They won't work for these for non-directv customers. They are for directv customers only.
post #14 of 688 Old 08-17-2011, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I can't wait to try this out. I've been able to use NFL Sunday Ticket to go over the last 2 seasons courtesy of my uncle. He's not as tech savvy as I am, but is just happy enough to watch it on his HDTV and he gives me his username and password since he doesn't have all the tech gadgets. What I'll be interested in finding out is, if logged into the PS3 watching NFL Sunday Ticket, will it only allow me to watch using the PS3 on one device again (like previous seasons where multiple users aren't able to simultaneously watch), will blackout restrictions be enforced (last few seasons they have mentioned that blackouts policies are applied using the online version NFL Sunday Ticket, but that has never been enforced as I was able to watch 3 blacked out Charger games from within the blackout zone. Needless to say I am looking forward to trying it out with spending the $350!

And the FOUL!
post #15 of 688 Old 08-18-2011, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

I agree. You get to watch 4 of the best matchups of the day on the major networks. If your team is good you will get to see them plenty each year. But if your team sucks like the Panthers or the Browns you will have to shell out all that money just to watch them lose.

Being a Dallas Cowboys fan I was glad that disaster they had last year didn't cost me money.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #16 of 688 Old 08-18-2011, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You can get NFL Game rewind for $40 for the year if you don't mind waiting until Monday to watch the games.
https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/packages

My friend uses this to watch the Giants games that he doesn't get OTA.
post #17 of 688 Old 08-18-2011, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

I agree. You get to watch 4 of the best matchups of the day on the major networks. If your team is good you will get to see them plenty each year. But if your team sucks like the Panthers or the Browns you will have to shell out all that money just to watch them lose.

Being a Dallas Cowboys fan I was glad that disaster they had last year didn't cost me money.

Unless you live in the viewing area of a bad team. Then you get to see each and every one of their games.
post #18 of 688 Old 08-18-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

its dumb.. only because Directv customers now can get it for free and some can get it for cheap...

330 is tooooo expensive..

honestly, stick with Red Zon channel and save your money.

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #19 of 688 Old 08-18-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

its dumb.. only because Directv customers now can get it for free and some can get it for cheap...

330 is tooooo expensive..

honestly, stick with Red Zon channel and save your money.

By the way it's $350 for people who just want to buy the standalone NFL Sunday Ticket Package for the PS3 (and there is no additional $50 fee if you buy the standalone package), that fee only applies to people who already have NFL Sunday Ticket with their DirecTV subscription, then they would have to spend the additional $50 to get NFL Sunday Ticket To Go.
Anyways $350 might be expensive for the casual fan but for the hardcore fan that doesn't have DirecTV and absolutely has to watch their team every weekend, they might come out ahead, considering you'd probably have to spend at minimum $25/$30 per person on food and drinks at the sports bar.

And the FOUL!
post #20 of 688 Old 08-18-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

By the way it's $350 for people who just want to buy the standalone NFL Sunday Ticket Package for the PS3 (and there is no additional $50 fee if you buy the standalone package), that fee only applies to people who already have NFL Sunday Ticket with their DirecTV subscription, then they would have to spend the additional $50 to get NFL Sunday Ticket To Go.
Anyways $350 might be expensive for the casual fan but for the hardcore fan that doesn't have DirecTV and absolutely has to watch their team every weekend, they might come out ahead, considering you'd probably have to spend at minimum $25/$30 per person on food and drinks at the sports bar.

true.. if you dont live in the area where you local team plays.. without a doubt but still 350 is a lot of money especially when you can get it for free on the net.

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #21 of 688 Old 08-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

My question is when are they going to wise up and offer team specific packages? I live in PHX and would pay good money to have all the Steelers games without having to pay for all the crap games as well...
post #22 of 688 Old 08-18-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post

My question is when are they going to wise up and offer team specific packages? I live in PHX and would pay good money to have all the Steelers games without having to pay for all the crap games as well...

Wise up? On what planet is it smart for them to offer team specific packages? All of DirecTV's marketing for NFLST since getting rights to it has been related to seeing your favorite team but you don't live there. I think it's foolish (IMHO) to think that a reduced price single team package is going to be more of a money maker than forcing those same people to get full NFLST.
post #23 of 688 Old 08-18-2011, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Wise up? On what planet is it smart for them to offer team specific packages? All of DirecTV's marketing for NFLST since getting rights to it has been related to seeing your favorite team but you don't live there. I think it's foolish (IMHO) to think that a reduced price single team package is going to be more of a money maker than forcing those same people to get full NFLST.

For one it gets more people involved with DirecTV. I don't have it, I have cable but you sure as **** can bet that if they were to offer that I would cancel my cable subscription and sign up for DirecTV. I don't need to spend excessively in today's market, paying 120 for a full season of Steelers football is something I would do, spending 350 for a full season of teams I will not watch is out of the question. I think that offering a team pass would be soemthing that could get a lot of people of off the fence. And thanks for the angsty post, someone needs their coffee...
post #24 of 688 Old 08-18-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

These rules look familiar...because they are from me on dbstalk.

They won't work for these for non-directv customers. They are for directv customers only.

Yea but the person that posted they couldnt get the discount is a directv customer.

post #25 of 688 Old 08-18-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

For one it gets more people involved with DirecTV. I don't have it, I have cable but you sure as **** can bet that if they were to offer that I would cancel my cable subscription and sign up for DirecTV. I don't need to spend excessively in today's market, paying 120 for a full season of Steelers football is something I would do, spending 350 for a full season of teams I will not watch is out of the question. I think that offering a team pass would be soemthing that could get a lot of people of off the fence. And thanks for the angsty post, someone needs their coffee...

I'd quickly jump off the fence for a team specific package. Paying $300+ for teams I have no interest in is too steep for me.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 688 Old 08-18-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I thought I was a stupid fan when I was paying 199 a season. There's no way in hell they'll ever get me to pay their current charge.
post #27 of 688 Old 08-18-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Didn't mean to be angsty, point is, DirecTV has had nflst for a while now and have never said one word about even toying with a one team package. If it was going to make them more money, wouldn't they have done it by now? Think about that for a minute.
post #28 of 688 Old 08-18-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Yup it's a nice thought and I'd be all over it, but it will never happen.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #29 of 688 Old 08-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Didn't mean to be angsty, point is, DirecTV has had nflst for a while now and have never said one word about even toying with a one team package. If it was going to make them more money, wouldn't they have done it by now? Think about that for a minute.

I can see your point, and as long as they go with the "ain't broke, don't fix it" policy they keep making the same money from the same people, but if they wanted to entice people like myself or Legairre and actually grow directv user base doing something along those lines would be a tremendous boon for them.
post #30 of 688 Old 08-18-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can see your point, and as long as they go with the "ain't broke, don't fix it" policy they keep making the same money from the same people, but if they wanted to entice people like myself or Legairre and actually grow directv user base doing something along those lines would be a tremendous boon for them.

But is it same money from the same people? Doesn't DirecTV's subscriber numbers go up each year, especially around this time of year (For NFLST)? if so, that doesn't support the idea that DirecTV is just making the same money from the same people.

So I question whether it would be a tremendous boom. Each year I see people ask this in real life, here, dbstalk, etc. I'm sure DirecTV's been aware of it for a while, as well as the NFL. I'm guessing it wouldn't be a tremendous boom otherwise they would have done it.

Also, more speculation on my part, it wouldn't be a tremendous boom because for every person like you that signs up, there are people who were willing to pay $350 that drop down to the single team package (like me, I would drop to a single team package). So the boom from people like you is offset by the losses of people downgrading. This speculation is based on the fact that if you want RZC only on DirecTV you may be able to get it, even free, but it's quite the chore and not publicly advertised. You have to reason that they are scared too many NFLST subs might drop to an RZC only if it were publicly dangled in front of them.

Finally, I wanted to add that I've been a DirecTV sub since Nov 09 and had NFLST in 2010 and will have in 2011. In 2010, I got it half off, with free to-go. In 2011? $200 off regular price, plus free to-go. That list of steps posted by dcowboy7 to get a discount was written by me. Point is, I've never more than $150 for NFLST to date and I'll never pay more than half for it ever, but given how DirecTV operates, I'll get it each year. I understand I'm not getting the advertised price, but I get a good deal.

You could switch now (now means right now) and get free NFLST for this season and I could help you get it cheap like I for future years. Hell for this year I can help you get an extra $100 off your new DirecTV bill if you switch (PM me for details).

Just sayin...
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page