The Mtn network - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-26-2011, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Mtn sports channel is available on both Comcast and D*. I see the HD version listed on Comcast, but no programming. According to Comcast HD is not available in my area yet (Colorado).

Can't believe they still have sports channels in SD - pathetic.

Does anyone have this channel in their lineup and in HD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-26-2011, 03:19 PM

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the only thing in HD on that channel are games. Studio programming is only SD. I don't subscribe to sports pack on DirecTV so I don't get the channel.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-26-2011, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Don't get me started on the mtn. I've been lobbying Time Warner for 5 years to get the darn channel on & they won't do it. I tried to get satellite but the trees are in the way. It was real bummer missing SDSU's best basketball run in team history last year.

And the FOUL!
post #4 of 20 Old 08-26-2011, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't see any games even listed on the HD channel for next week. That's all I care about in HD anyway. The other crap on the sports networks may as well be infomercials as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe they won't have anything showing on the programming unitl the last minute. That's why I dropped Dish since they pulled that with FSN HD and don't offer enough for college football.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-26-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post
Don't get me started on the mtn. I've been lobbying Time Warner for 5 years to get the darn channel on & they won't do it. I tried to get satellite but the trees are in the way. It was real bummer missing SDSU's best basketball run in team history last year.
Nothing a chainsaw couldn't cure.

Problem is just not enough demand because of the population base in the mountain states. Part of the problem is the east coast bias in the other networks and few in the east or even midwest realize there are some pretty good games out here even if it's not your main team.
post #6 of 20 Old 08-26-2011, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Mtn shows games in HD on DirecTV on channel 616-1. The games usually show up in the guide closer to game day.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-26-2011, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaace01 View Post
The Mtn shows games in HD on DirecTV on channel 616-1. The games usually show up in the guide closer to game day.
Thanks, that at least tells me HD does exist and since Comcast has the HD channel in the guide maybe they will have the games. Anyway, I'll find out next week.
post #8 of 20 Old 08-26-2011, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Here's an older MTN topic, from when they first went HD in 2009:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1196518

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #9 of 20 Old 08-26-2011, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Saw that before I posted but it's not real relevant right now.
post #10 of 20 Old 08-26-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest
Saw that before I posted but it's not real relevant right now.
It's relevant to answer your questions from the initial post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest
Does anyone have this channel in their lineup and in HD?
Yes, and yes.

post #11 of 20 Old 08-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Here in Arizona, Cox Cable carries TheMtn in HD only during the college football season....according to the Cox rep. I talked to, TheMtn is only in HD "seasonally".

FWIW, YMMV.
post #12 of 20 Old 08-27-2011, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post

Here in Arizona, Cox Cable carries TheMtn in HD only during the college football season....according to the Cox rep. I talked to, TheMtn is only in HD "seasonally".

FWIW, YMMV.

Thanks for the feedback. While all HD would be nice, it's most important for the games.

The one I talked to at Comcast was essentially clueless and just said HD isn't available in my area which didn't make sense if the HD channel was listed separately in the guide. Then again, Comcast doesn't even have ESPNU or BTN in HD. Watching live sports in SD on a big screen is not an enjoyable experience, especially since it always seems to even be bad SD. If these providers don't wake up they'll discover too late why they're losing customers.
post #13 of 20 Old 08-28-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I am just delighted to get this channel at all...even if it's SD only , here in Michigan on the comcast sports pack.

SD is way better than not having it at all, and to expect a Michigan comcast system to devote bandwidth to HD on THIS channel is just not realistic
post #14 of 20 Old 08-28-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

I am just delighted to get this channel at all...even if it's SD only , here in Michigan on the comcast sports pack.

SD is way better than not having it at all, and to expect a Michigan comcast system to devote bandwidth to HD on THIS channel is just not realistic

As part of their digital conversion, Comcast has added a number of out of market sports networks to their systems, I believe to better compete with DirecTV. It would be no surprise to me if they went HD as better compression hardware and complete elimination of analog channels takes place, at some point in the future.

post #15 of 20 Old 08-28-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

If it were good quality SD I wouldn't mind so much but most of it is so bad it's not even watchable on a flat screen. All my TVs are HDTV now, and even on the smaller 32" screen it's hard to watch. Comcast doesn't even have ESPNU and BTN in HD in this area.

Fortunately there are enough games on that I can't record all of them anyway. I'm usually still watching games on Monday and I'm single and retired so I can watch them all day. The Mtn is important to me because they show a lot of Air Force games and that's one of my 2 main teams. ESPN is so east coast centric that it's nice we have The Mtn and Versus in addition to FSN.
post #16 of 20 Old 08-28-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post

If it were good quality SD I wouldn't mind so much but most of it is so bad it's not even watchable on a flat screen. All my TVs are HDTV now, and even on the smaller 32" screen it's hard to watch. Comcast doesn't even have ESPNU and BTN in HD in this area.

Fortunately there are enough games on that I can't record all of them anyway. I'm usually still watching games on Monday and I'm single and retired so I can watch them all day. The Mtn is important to me because they show a lot of Air Force games and that's one of my 2 main teams. ESPN is so east coast centric that it's nice we have The Mtn and Versus in addition to FSN.

I repeat:SD is way better than not having it at all, just ask Tom Wellman (above post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

As part of their digital conversion, Comcast has added a number of out of market sports networks to their systems, I believe to better compete with DirecTV. It would be no surprise to me if they went HD as better compression hardware and complete elimination of analog channels takes place, at some point in the future.

would be nice if they added ALL the comcast sports nets; Fox college sports does a fairly decent jobs of Culling the Fox RSN;s

any idea of when this may happen here in Detroit area?
post #17 of 20 Old 08-28-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I repeat:SD is way better than not having it at all, just ask Tom Wellman (above post)

You sure nailled that billmich. I would love to complain about shoddy HD quality. I'm tempted to buy a Slingbox and install one at my friend's place who has DirecTv who has a TV in his guestroom that doesn't get a lot of use.

And the FOUL!
post #18 of 20 Old 04-06-2012, 04:13 AM

Liked: 13
The cable channel created for the Mountain West ConferenceThe Mtnis shutting down and will go dark May 31, sources said. The channel's 44 employees were informed of the decision late this afternoon during a meeting at the company's Denver headquarters.

Sources indicate that CBS Sports Network and the Mountain West Conference are close to finalizing a deal for the conference's rights that will wind up increasing national distribution for the Mountain West's upcoming football and basketball games. CBS Sports Network is in around 45 million homes. Jointly owned by CBS Sports Network and NBC Universal, the Mtn is in around 13 million homes.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...#ixzz1rG2kFyfY
post #19 of 20 Old 04-06-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Well, this is one carriage fight that will be no more.
post #20 of 20 Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 AM

Liked: 11
mws192,

Thanks for the report. I'm sorry this channel is shutting down.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page