The Amazing Race 19 on CBS - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 281 Old 12-12-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Pointing out cultural tendancies I would hope don't make us racists .. my background is German, and my folks always pushed structured / organised / loyalty / work ethic when I was a kid ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 281 Old 12-12-2011, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Being an old fart, I had a nice giggle at the typewriter challenge.

I'm just barely old enough that typewriters were still the primary means of writing college papers. In another five years, they were almost completely gone.

Hah ... my first Eng101 prof threatened to give a F for any paper produced on a computer. She thought computers would be the death of the language (she was probably right "BTW" ) Plus she hated the dot-matrix print. I dropped the class.
post #273 of 281 Old 12-13-2011, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 101
My Apple IIe computer Word Processor saved my sanity for my one College English class. Basically, we had just one paper to write the whole semester. First we had to turn in a rough draft, correct it, turn it in again...rinse and repeat. It was really a waste, but without the computer, I would have had to re-type the paper over 5 times on a typewriter.
post #274 of 281 Old 12-13-2011, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

not being a pilot or a flight sim gamer, I kept wondering what Marcus was doing wrong .. it looked like his landings were OK but then the plane veered off the runway .. ???

I was not a big Marcus fan, although Amani seemed like a great wife / person ..

My main beef on him was the constant reminders of his pro ball backgound .. everything had to be framed in that context ..

I think that was a challenge that favored the geek. My guess is Marcus, being an athlete pushing 40 has not spent a lot of time with a joystick in his hand. I was not surprised Ernie was the first to wrap up the challenge.

I had no problem with Marcus bringing up football. The older couple kept bringing up their teaching background. Teams are usually shown in the context of their personal history.
post #275 of 281 Old 12-13-2011, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 171
So glad the multi-millionare football player didn't win. They shouldn't let people that have millions play this game anymore.

The winners did good, she sure solved that puzzle fast with the world map.

I laughed so hard when that couple was running around the furniture store looking for a clue, man, that was priceless.

post #276 of 281 Old 12-13-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

not being a pilot or a flight sim gamer, I kept wondering what Marcus was doing wrong .. it looked like his landings were OK but then the plane veered off the runway .. ???

My main beef on him was the constant reminders of his pro ball backgound .. everything had to be framed in that context ..

Every attempt they showed he was coming in too fast and hard(nose too far down, back wheels not hitting pavement first), I found myself yelling at the tv: "pull up, pull up!" Slamming into the runway like that the plane just bounces off the runway and add in not being lined up correctly and you'll find you cannot stay on the runway when you land.

(^I'm not a pilot but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night)

Seriously as a fairly young engineer who likes planes/flying and has played around with flight simulators on PCs and logged a couple hours in a real glider, that challenge looked awesome.
post #277 of 281 Old 12-13-2011, 11:13 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

My guess is Marcus, being an athlete pushing 40 has not spent a lot of time with a joystick in his hand.

He's got Amani to help him with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

I had no problem with Marcus bringing up football. The older couple kept bringing up their teaching background. Teams are usually shown in the context of their personal history.

Yep, and people naturally tend to always relate and reference to what they know or do. I didn't have any problem with it necessarily myself, but it did get kinda old quickly though...

On a related note, I didn't really notice Marcus "trash talking" directly to the other teams so much as someone else mentioned. At least not in any kind of negative manner anyway. There may have been some good natured talk here or there but it seemed all in good fun if so. It's just something that seems to be ingrained in many sports and highly competitively oriented people. But I think for the most part Marcus was simply showing his ebullient personality both highs and lows. Yeah, he frequently puffed out his chest and loudly proclaimed his excellence (which admittedly is annoying to me as well), but he also frequently ate crow and didn't seem to have any issues openly expressing that he was the cause of his team's downfalls as well. To tell you the truth, despite his frequent exhortations I thought he appeared more humble deep down than Cindy by a long shot. She just didn't publicly broadcast her true feelings for all to hear.

Personally during the finale I found myself definitely rooting for Jeremy and Sandy. Unfortunately they were done in by the pressure and their overzealous desire to move as fast as possible instead of taking the time to really think that clue through.

ron
post #278 of 281 Old 12-13-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Besides the poor line-up that others have already mentioned, I'd be willing to bet that the rudder pedals on a Lear are very sensitive.

Remember that these planes often need to be able to do 135 degree turns at very low speed to follow the taxiways. Now image how wildy over-sensitive the rudder pedals must be when you're doing about 130mph at landing. Add to that the relatively short and narrow wheelbase of the Lear and I'll bet it's as twitchy as an F1 car at high speeds and takes a really light touch to keep it going straight.
post #279 of 281 Old 12-13-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

He's got Amani to help him with that

Yep, and people naturally tend to always relate and reference to what they know or do. I didn't have any problem with it necessarily myself, but it did get kinda old quickly though...

On a related note, I didn't really notice Marcus "trash talking" directly to the other teams so much as someone else mentioned. At least not in any kind of negative manner anyway. There may have been some good natured talk here or there but it seemed all in good fun if so. It's just something that seems to be ingrained in many sports and highly competitively oriented people. But I think for the most part Marcus was simply showing his ebullient personality both highs and lows. Yeah, he frequently puffed out his chest and loudly proclaimed his excellence (which admittedly is annoying to me as well), but he also frequently ate crow and didn't seem to have any issues openly expressing that he was the cause of his team's downfalls as well. To tell you the truth, despite his frequent exhortations I thought he appeared more humble deep down than Cindy by a long shot. She just didn't publicly broadcast her true feelings for all to hear.

Personally during the finale I found myself definitely rooting for Jeremy and Sandy. Unfortunately they were done in by the pressure and their overzealous desire to move as fast as possible instead of taking the time to really think that clue through.

ron

I agree Marcus just seemed like the type of guy who highly exuberant. He was not mean spirited. He gave encouragement to teams when he did not have to. I did not find it offensive.

I just could not root for Jeremy and Sandy. As a nerd who likes sports if the jocks were not going to win I have to pull for the nerds. Jeremy and Sandy were a bit too Barbie and Ken for me.
post #280 of 281 Old 03-05-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Does anyone have any screen caps from last nights episode? Especially at the end with the gorgeous woman who accompanied the host at the finish line! She was amazingly beautiful. OMG!
post #281 of 281 Old 03-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Are you living in a time warp?

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page