Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 281 Old 10-24-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
From last Sunday's ep, don't forget yet another shady occurrence:

The bus from Phuket to Bangkok leaving but then waiting for the blondes a mile down the road (because if they had not been on that bus, they would have been totally stranded in Phuket with no way to make to Bangkok and thus the pit stop, and we all know TAR hates having a camera crew a full day behind in another location). Somehow that bus just decided to pull over and wait for the Blondes, and then the Blondes got a free ride to the bus that was waiting for them?

That whole thing made me think of passport-gate from the season premiere, but even worse because there wasn't even an attempt at a reasonable explanation. I really think a TAR producer/camera crew asked that bus to stop and wait for the blondes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 281 Old 10-24-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

The bus from Phuket to Bangkok leaving but then waiting for the blondes a mile down the road (because if they had not been on that bus, they would have been totally stranded in Phuket with no way to make to Bangkok and thus the pit stop, and we all know TAR hates having a camera crew a full day behind in another location). Somehow that bus just decided to pull over and wait for the Blondes, and then the Blondes got a free ride to the bus that was waiting for them?

I didn't see what you saw -- I thought the bus was at its next regular stop, hence getting the taxi driver to take them there for free. Why would they have needed the cab if the bus was just waiting?
post #93 of 281 Old 10-24-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

I didn't see what you saw -- I thought the bus was at its next regular stop, hence getting the taxi driver to take them there for free. Why would they have needed the cab if the bus was just waiting?

The blondes were told that the bus, which had left, was stopped somewhere waiting for them. They didn't say anything about a "next regular stop." Rewatch that whole sequence, I'm 99% sure that they were told the bus stopped somewhere, after already leaving, to wait for them.

They needed a cab because the bus was already a ways away, past walking distance.
post #94 of 281 Old 10-24-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I would have guessed that the snowboarders favorite passage would have been 4:20
post #95 of 281 Old 10-24-2011, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

I was left with the same impression .. next regular stop ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #96 of 281 Old 10-24-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I'll call the bus episode and raise you the non-elimination pit stop last week.

I've noticed in previous seasons that they create some roadblocks based on what the contestants put in their bios. Like fear of or desire to do bungie-jumping, skydiving, swimming, etc, etc.

And based on their giddy reaction, it sure looked like the elephant stage was chosen from the twins bio, so they decided to keep them around for this stage.
post #97 of 281 Old 10-24-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

I'll call the bus episode and raise you the non-elimination pit stop last week.

I've noticed in previous seasons that they create some roadblocks based on what the contestants put in their bios. Like fear of or desire to do bungie-jumping, skydiving, swimming, etc, etc.

And based on their giddy reaction, it sure looked like the elephant stage was chosen from the twins bio, so they decided to keep them around for this stage.

The NEL legs are set ahead of the race. Otherwise, the producers would be actually manipulating the outcome, and open themselves up to a big honkin' lawsuit, despite all the releases, etc. the racers have to sign. It would be fraud, plain and simple.

If that weren't the case, I can't believe that word of this conspiracy would not have leaked sometime over the course of 18 seasons.
post #98 of 281 Old 10-24-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 330
What a crazy leg! I am used to the show's time warping with the editing, but that bus right was a long and strange trip. You have teams going from first to middle of the pack while others come out of no where to leap into first place.

I think people have to separate creative editing from bending the rules to help a contestant. The Amazing Race will often play with time to make some legs more competitive than they really are. Or they may not show a bus sitting off to the side waiting for passengers.
post #99 of 281 Old 10-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Magic editing.
post #100 of 281 Old 10-24-2011, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I believe the blond twins have extraordinary powers over transportation. They can make buses miles away stop for them. They can get multiple taxi rides for free. Too bad it wasn't enough.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #101 of 281 Old 10-25-2011, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I believe the blond twins have extraordinary powers over transportation. They can make buses miles away stop for them. They can get multiple taxi rides for free. Too bad it wasn't enough.

How do you know the bus was miles away from them?
post #102 of 281 Old 10-25-2011, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you drove a taxi in an Asian country, where the general population all would like to be in America and most males worship blond Caucasian women, and two good looking blonds tried to bum a ride .. well, you get the picture ..

I've spent some time in that part of the World ..

And it looked to me like the bus was making a regular stop ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #103 of 281 Old 10-25-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

I believe the blond twins have extraordinary powers over transportation. They can make buses miles away stop for them. They can get multiple taxi rides for free.

They're beautiful Caucasian blonde blue-eyed females in a region of the world with almost nobody looking like that. Same could be said of African-Americans like Marcus and his wife, but lets be real here: cute white chicks vs. married black couple. Who are the locals gonna blush and do favors for (especially with a camera crew in tow)? Just the fact the twins made it all the way to the pit stop on the same day as everybody else and not a day or two behind is a testament to the power and appeal of the blonde blue-eye female beauty. And, for the record, if the twins had been brunette and brown-eyed but just as pretty (race/skin color is too tricky for me to concede wouldn't have factored in) they would have gotten the same preferential treatment.

As for the teams on buses arriving at different times/intervals than their departures, as someone originally from a third-world country all I can say is welcome to public bus transportation outside the USA. It's a wild world where buses become speeding bullets (depending on the driver), drivers compete against other drivers for fares and often take shortcuts/skip stops in order to get more runs in. Marcus should track down the bus driver on his ride so he and wife can take him with them to Bali on their Travelocity prize, he alone earned this team their #1 finish.
post #104 of 281 Old 10-25-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

And, for the record, if the twins had been brunette and brown-eyed but just as pretty (race/skin color is too tricky for me to concede wouldn't have factored in) they would have gotten the same preferential treatment.

Sorry, but the blondes would still have the edge ..

Uncle Willie

post #105 of 281 Old 10-25-2011, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 164
So you're the type that would kick Sofia Vergara off your bed if Gwenneth Paltrow showed up in your bedroom?
post #106 of 281 Old 10-25-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

So you're the type that would kick Sofia Vergara off your bed if Gwenneth Paltrow showed up in your bedroom?

My posts regarding blondes in Asian countries has nothing to do with my personal taste .. my wife in fact is brunette ..

I spent some time in that part of the World and I can tell you without a doubt, blonde, blue eyed good looking Caucasian women can pretty much write their own ticket with most of these Asian dudes ... of course, that's not exclusive to Asian countries .. .. however, it is very very prevalent in that part of the World .. and when it's twins, well ..

Uncle Willie

post #107 of 281 Old 10-30-2011, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I really wonder if quite a bit of the taxi, or any kind of drivers they use jack the fees way up since most wont really know what it costs.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #108 of 281 Old 10-31-2011, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hm... isn't tabacco such a politically incorrect thing that they would normally have avoided such a task?
post #109 of 281 Old 10-31-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have to say the non elimination leg did seem to come up faster than I remember in past seasons .. no conspiracy thoughts .. just seemed to me we just had one ..

Uncle Willie

post #110 of 281 Old 10-31-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Yeah, just a one week gap between non-eliminations. The Twins got saved then eliminated and now another non-elimination.

IIRC, the showgirls, the grandparents, the twins and now the footballers have been saved. It does seem like more than normal.

I have to admit the tobacco stage had me jonesing for a Partagas Special Reserve with it's Camaroon wrapper.
post #111 of 281 Old 10-31-2011, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I have to say the non elimination leg did seem to come up faster than I remember in past seasons .. no conspiracy thoughts .. just seemed to me we just had one ..

There's no conspiracy. My wife and I both felt it was going to be a non-elimination, and sure enough it was. Yes I wanted Peyton Manning's buddy who had a LONG NFL career (read: made plenty of money) Marcus Pollard and his wife gone, but I can for wait it to happen in a non-elimination leg.

I don't have a beef with non-elmination legs. I have a beef with the legs afterwards that:

1.) Have lame speed bumps that aren't time consuming
and
2.) Bunching points that allow the team doing the speed bump to easily catch up to other teams.
post #112 of 281 Old 11-01-2011, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

^ +1
post #113 of 281 Old 11-01-2011, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Yeah, it sure came again fast, but definitely could not be conspiracy. The effort it would take to create the speed bump couldn't be done in days. They have to coordinate it with locals, get it setup, show the locals what needs done and their role, etc.

Have we had the same number of elimination legs as past seasons already? Can't recall how many in past seasons.

post #114 of 281 Old 11-01-2011, 06:37 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
^^^
They probably have them set up in advance at every leg, then choose to use them or not when the time comes.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #115 of 281 Old 11-01-2011, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Not sure if the non-elimination legs are pre-determined or not. In this case, though, when Phil said they were keeping the beds to sleep on, I had a pretty good idea that they weren't going to eliminate someone during a "special" stopping point.
post #116 of 281 Old 11-01-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

As soon as they announced they were sleeping over I knew it was not going to be an elimination round. This is at least the second time they have done an African leg with a sleep over in the middle of no where.
post #117 of 281 Old 11-01-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

There's no conspiracy. My wife and I both felt it was going to be a non-elimination, and sure enough it was. Yes I wanted Peyton Manning's buddy who had a LONG NFL career (read: made plenty of money) Marcus Pollard and his wife gone, but I can for wait it to happen in a non-elimination leg.

I don't have a beef with non-elmination legs. I have a beef with the legs afterwards that:

1.) Have lame speed bumps that aren't time consuming
and
2.) Bunching points that allow the team doing the speed bump to easily catch up to other teams.

What is the point of having a non-elimination round if your going to handicap the last place team so much they have no chance of finishing ahead of some one else?
post #118 of 281 Old 11-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I haven't seen it in a while, but the most ridiculous thing I've seen is when they have a U-Turn as part of a non-elimination leg. What in the world is the point of that?
post #119 of 281 Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

What is the point of having a non-elimination round if your going to handicap the last place team so much they have no chance of finishing ahead of some one else?

Many a time the people that had to the extra task because of a non-elimination leg were NOT eliminated at the next pit stop.

post #120 of 281 Old 11-01-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor View Post

I haven't seen it in a while, but the most ridiculous thing I've seen is when they have a U-Turn as part of a non-elimination leg. What in the world is the point of that?

Revenge. If you have one team who expects to never see another competing team you have a natural drama point for further legs.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page