post #182 of 281 Old 11-22-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

Would it not be equivalent of the Blondes talking a taxi driver into giving them a free ride? This has happened multiple times over the years, and there have been no penalties for it.

You beat me to it.

Considering all the taxi drivers that have gotten stiffed over the seasons without the teams getting penalized, they'd be opening up a can of worms if the penalized Cindy and Ernie in a situation where the train company actually didn't get stiffed at all.

What would have been funny as heck would have been if Cindy and Ernie had been arrested for not having the ticket and then had subpoenaed the recordings and called on the videographer to testify during the arraignment hearing.
post #183 of 281 Old 11-22-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 578
OK, OK, I see your points .. no penalty then ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #184 of 281 Old 11-22-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

anybody notice the big bruise on Cindys thigh .. ??

Remember when the bed fell on her in Africa? That was weeks ago for us, but would be just a few days or so in race time.
post #185 of 281 Old 11-22-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
My take on whether Cindy and co should get a penalty is that since they bought a ticket for all the legs they travelled, (even though they lost the ticket for that last leg) they should get no penalty.

If it ever came out, though, that the producers had a hand in not having tickets checked, I would be upset. That's a different issue than the penalty issue though.
post #186 of 281 Old 11-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

...if Cindy and Ernie had been arrested for not having the ticket and then had subpoenaed the recordings and called on the videographer to testify during the arraignment hearing.

The law is that you must present a valid ticket upon request at the time of train travel. To ride the train without a ticket in your possession is illegal. It doesn't matter if a person bought 15 tickets previously, and lost them all.
post #187 of 281 Old 11-22-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Because most people don't have videotaped evidence and impartial witnesses to prove that they in fact did purchase a ticket, failure to present the ticket is considered prima facia evidence that a crime (defrauding the train system) has been committed and thus the arrest. Not having the ticket is not the crime itself, it's just usually the best and only evidence that the crime of not paying has been committed.

But I guess you missed the part when the conductor asked them if they had a receipt for the ticket and they said "no" and only after that did she reply "then I can't help you".

So obviously they didn't have to have the actual ticket, all they needed was the solid proof of a receipt for the ticket and the conductor could have canceled the old ticket in the computer system and issued them a new ticket.

[p.s. I've had this happen to me on a plane flight one time. But this was back in the olden days when companies still booked their business travel through a booking agent. So since I had only lost the ticket and not the itinerary and receipts from the booking agent, I was able to get a new ticket issued without too much fuss.]
post #188 of 281 Old 11-22-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Any way you look at it, the steward apparently took no action .. and what action could have been taken .. ?? They were on a moving train ..

It seems to me that the train folks let them slide intentionally, likely because they knew they were part of the Race ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #189 of 281 Old 11-22-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Any way you look at it, the steward apparently took no action .. and what action could have been taken .. ?? They were on a moving train ..

Just to be clear, they had a multi-leg journey as shown in the episode. They lost their tix for the second leg, not the first.

On the first train, they asked the steward about the second leg's tickets and if there was anything that could be done. The steward said no.

When at the transfer point (where we see teams change trains), instead of then going to the station agent and trying to figure something out, they simply hopped on that second train. No tix were checked on the second train as pointed out in the show.

On that basis, I could see the justification for the penalty. They should have gone to the station agent at the transfer point and figured something out. Although that would have made them miss that second train, they would have been totally legitimate (or they would end up just flat out stuck at that transfer point). But that's where I think TAR producers are involved: they absolutely hate when teams end up a day behind/stuck somewhere for logistical reasons and IMHO, they may have done something on that second train to make sure Cindy and co would have been okay.
post #190 of 281 Old 11-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Getting away without tickets just reeks of more Producer interference to me. This wasn't a short 2 minute ride between stops on City Transit, that part of the trip must have been a few hours long. Having ridden trains throughout Europe, there is absolutely no way that they wouldn't have been checked in that time frame.
post #191 of 281 Old 11-22-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

Getting away without tickets just reeks of more Producer interference to me. This wasn't a short 2 minute ride between stops on City Transit, that part of the trip must have been a few hours long. Having ridden trains throughout Europe, there is absolutely no way that they wouldn't have been checked in that time frame.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, if they showed the video of Cindy and her man (keep forgetting his name) actually purchasing that ticket and how they dropped that ticket to the ticket taker, is that interference?

Is it interference if they picked up the ticket that was dropped (the camera zoomed to it on the floor so we know they saw it and probably wouldn't just leave it lying there, just like passportgate) and handed it to the ticket checker for the 2nd train? After all, they did purchase a ticket. It's not like they didn't have enough money and then the producers bought a ticket.

Maybe the producers simply need to be very forthcoming of their assistance on this, but assess a penalty. I.e., a policy that the producers will pick up tickets, passports, and other small (but important things) that are dropped and caught by the camera/producers. These will then be given to the appropriate person for use by the team. However, a team that loses such documents/tickets and relies on camera/producers is assessed a 2 hour penalty. That way, the team isn't stuck somewhere when they bought a ticket but simply lost it, but they do suffer a penalty and most importantly, all of this is clearly revealed to the viewer so we aren't left to think that:

1.) Magically some random person picks up a passport and brings it to LAX and stalks out the contestant who needs it because they tweeted about the found passport and got tweet responses about TAR and to go to LAX.

2.) Magically that second train in Europe, a non-commuter train, didn't check tickets when we know that leg of the trip cost what, 77 euros according to Cindy?

Just food for thought.
post #192 of 281 Old 11-22-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

I've ridden intercity trains in Europe where my rail pass was never checked -- IIRC, from The Hague to Brussels, about a 2 hour trip. A little bit longer than Cologne to Brussels. It does happen.
post #193 of 281 Old 11-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

I've ridden intercity trains in Europe where my rail pass was never checked -- IIRC, from The Hague to Brussels, about a 2 hour trip. A little bit longer than Cologne to Brussels. It does happen.

Wow. I am surprised. Never happend to me, or anyone I know, either.
post #194 of 281 Old 11-22-2011, 07:50 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Just to play Devil's Advocate, if they showed the video of Cindy and her man (keep forgetting his name) actually purchasing that ticket and how they dropped that ticket to the ticket taker, is that interference?

Is it interference if they picked up the ticket that was dropped (the camera zoomed to it on the floor so we know they saw it and probably wouldn't just leave it lying there, just like passportgate) and handed it to the ticket checker for the 2nd train? After all, they did purchase a ticket. It's not like they didn't have enough money and then the producers bought a ticket.

Maybe the producers simply need to be very forthcoming of their assistance on this, but assess a penalty. I.e., a policy that the producers will pick up tickets, passports, and other small (but important things) that are dropped and caught by the camera/producers. These will then be given to the appropriate person for use by the team. However, a team that loses such documents/tickets and relies on camera/producers is assessed a 2 hour penalty. That way, the team isn't stuck somewhere when they bought a ticket but simply lost it, but they do suffer a penalty and most importantly, all of this is clearly revealed to the viewer so we aren't left to think that:

1.) Magically some random person picks up a passport and brings it to LAX and stalks out the contestant who needs it because they tweeted about the found passport and got tweet responses about TAR and to go to LAX.

2.) Magically that second train in Europe, a non-commuter train, didn't check tickets when we know that leg of the trip cost what, 77 euros according to Cindy?

Just food for thought.

I have no idea about the train tickets, but it's really time to put the producer interference with "passport gate" speculation to bed. The article in the NY Times explained it pretty well. Another follow up article at Reality Blurred goes into detail including all the tweets from the guy at the station who found the PP, and the tweets about what to do with it from the "TAR Detectives" at Reality Fan Forum. You can dig through their "Tar Sighting Tweets" thread and see the very post where Plaidmoon first reported the guy's tweets about finding the PP back on that first day of shooting, June 18th, here:

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/ind...html#msg619483

And you can read their reactions to watching it unfold on TV in their "EP #1 live thread" when it aired four months later in Sept starting here:

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/ind...html#msg666877

Now those folks look to be what you call TAR obsessive!

ron
post #195 of 281 Old 11-27-2011, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Brendon and Rachel from "Big Brother 12/13" on the next "Amazing Race" season? Apparently so: http://www.realitynation.com/big-bro...-amazing-race/.
post #196 of 281 Old 11-28-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
No!!!!!!
post #197 of 281 Old 11-28-2011, 10:48 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Brendon and Rachel from "Big Brother 12/13" on the next "Amazing Race" season? Apparently so: http://www.realitynation.com/big-bro...-amazing-race/.

Oh geezus... I have not really had any issue with occasional crossovers or semi-known contestants to add interest, but those two are the most obnoxious and annoying couple imaginable. This is a sad day in the history of TAR....

ron
post #198 of 281 Old 11-28-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Oh geezus... I have not really had any issue with occasional crossovers or semi-known contestants to add interest, but those two are the most obnoxious and annoying couple imaginable. This is a sad day in the history of TAR....

ron

ditto .. hope they don't last ..

Uncle Willie

post #199 of 281 Old 11-28-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like I'll be skipping the next season of AR.
post #200 of 281 Old 11-28-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

the thought has now crossed my mind ...

Uncle Willie

post #201 of 281 Old 11-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

"Amazing Race" "Survivor" and "Big Brother" have their regular cast template:

1. religious bible thumpers
2. a homosexual
3. returning reality show members (or other semi-celebs like retired pro-athletes)

Same thing every season.
post #202 of 281 Old 11-29-2011, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

"Amazing Race" "Survivor" and "Big Brother" have their regular cast template:

1. religious bible thumpers
2. a homosexual
3. returning reality show members (or other semi-celebs like retired pro-athletes)

Same thing every season.

Actually only #2 has been featured on every AR. Not sure on all the Survivors,etc.
post #203 of 281 Old 11-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie View Post

Actually only #2 has been featured on every AR. Not sure on all the Survivors,etc.

I probably shouldn't have added that last line. It wasn't meant to be a factual statement, just a random observation of recent seasons.
post #204 of 281 Old 11-29-2011, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I probably shouldn't have added that last line. It wasn't meant to be a factual statement, just a random observation of recent seasons.

No problem. I'm sure there have been seasons of every series that have notfeatured all 3. I have never watched BB so I have no clue on that show. Survivor has not had outspoken Christians or outspoken homosexuals every year. Rehashed competitors have only occurred in 5 or 6seasons (including all-stars). Amazing Race has been far more consistent with homosexual and faith-based teams.
post #205 of 281 Old 11-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I think the last line is more about getting an initial draw when you don't know any of the characters yet. It doesn't always help the contestant as Ethan and Jenna showed.
post #206 of 281 Old 11-29-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know this team from BB either, but if you all don't like them so much, you can always do I what I do and simply root for them to be gone as early as possible. It does add another element to the show for me. Yes I enjoy the competition, the travel, and the sights, but it does add to the fun to have a rooting interest against a certain team or teams.
post #207 of 281 Old 11-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Why have former NFL players?

Don't they already have millions of $$$$.
post #208 of 281 Old 11-29-2011, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

Not all, but Marcus Pollard does as he had a successful ten year (I think that's right?) career:

Pollard's NFL contracts, note the HUGE signing bonuses he got, especially in 2001 from the Colts ($4.675M). Looks like he cleared about $10M for his career:

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsda...Marcus-Pollard

The guy made BANK...and is outsmarting everyone on TAR by not disclosing who he is. I keep saying that's the smartest move by anyone this season in TAR.

Try watching (but don't, it's pretty horrible) "Most Eligible Dallas" on Bravo. They had two former NFL'ers who didn't make squat in the NFL (because they hardly played IN the NFL).

Most, if not all, of Survivor's former NFLers didn't do well financially in the NFL, just as a point of comparison.
post #209 of 281 Old 11-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

So? The point of the show is to be interesting, not to give a million dollars to a person who needs the money.
post #210 of 281 Old 11-30-2011, 06:19 AM

Liked: 10
Uggh. If they ever get to the point where they have an "Amazing Racing with the Stars" that will be the end of the show for me. I don't care how interesting it is.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page