AVS Forum banner

New Girl on FOX HD

37K views 473 replies 79 participants last post by  vfxproducer 
#1 ·
Pilot is on iTunes now. Will hit Hulu on Sept 13th. Early reviews are not so good.

#29 ·
I mostly felt embarrassed for them with all the stupid comments they were making. I understand the running D-bag jar joke, but it was too over the top for me. I didn't feel the urge to laugh even once. I like the actors in most everything else I've seen them in so they'll get a few more chances, but I wasn't impressed so far. If they don't pick it up quick, room on the DVR may require a deletion.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan /forum/post/21005926

You're mean GM2.

Yes! Yes I am. And proud of it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan /forum/post/21005926

I'm going to give it another chance because I'm hoping Zoey can land on a comedy that isn't on premium channels that I don't get. I think she's a good comedian.

I liked her in The Tin Man. I hope it gets better and will watch for a few weeks before I let the axe fall.

There are a lot of new shows though. I don't want it to hog up all my DVR space if this is all they have to offer.

#33 ·
I can't believe this bull @#$%ing crap is winning over 2 broke girls... wow...

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid /forum/post/21010311

I thought they handled the transition to the new cast member well.

I think he adds some street cred which gives them a polar oppositie they can play up. I was happy to see the cookie jar gone and overall the premise being a little more subdued. For me it was much better than the pilot.

#39 ·
Another vote for this show's not living up to the promise of the pilot. Parks and Recreation didn't really shine until they trusted their ensemble and made the show more about them than just the primary mover on the show; this one shifted the focus to Deschanel, and it was like eating too much of a rich dessert. The male roommates were really funny on the first show but didn't have so much to do on the second, except for the ladies' man, who this time I ended up finding simply annoying.

She's a charmer, but she could wear her welcome out pretty quickly, more's the pity because she seems to be the one who decides how she presents herself.

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood /forum/post/21010895

The male roommates were really funny on the first show but didn't have so much to do on the second, except for the ladies' man, who this time I ended up finding simply annoying.

I found them nothing but bad caricatures in the pilot. In the last episode they left the Saturday morning sitcom behind. Never did like Saved by the Bell.

#41 ·
Wow. Did not like the new episode AT ALL. Half way through, my wife turned to me and said 'do we have to finish it?', and I told her 'that's what I was thinking'. I literally decided that going to do the dishes would be better entertainment than watching the rest of the show.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer /forum/post/21011409

Wow. Did not like the new episode AT ALL. Half way through, my wife turned to me and said 'do we have to finish it?', and I told her 'that's what I was thinking'. I literally decided that going to do the dishes would be better entertainment than watching the rest of the show.

That was exactly my reaction to this episode. Got to about halfway and deleted it. If that happens next week, the series pass gets deleted.

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid /forum/post/21011814

I am curious for those who really disliked this episode what shows do you consider funny? I do not really see the big drop off from the pilot to this episode.

There are plenty of great shows:

Curb your enthusiasm

Big Bang Theory and I don't even watch it much

Nurse Jackie if you like dark humor.

It's easy to make a list.

I don't mind that there is no laugh track and even that it seems to be a show about nothing but the writing and even the acting pace is pretty bad. We all love Zooey but they are just not interesting so far.

When they make you want to turn it off - its bad.

#46 ·
I just watched the free episode of Happy Endings on iTunes and New Girl really lost out by not getting Coach(Damon Wayans Jr). The new guy wasn't nearly as good, and didn't have a presence like Coach had in the pilot. Gotta say I loved the episode of Happy Endings I saw and I'll be adding that to my DVR. Loved Casey Wilson.

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky /forum/post/21012259

There are plenty of great shows:

Curb your enthusiasm

Big Bang Theory and I don't even watch it much

Nurse Jackie if you like dark humor.

It's easy to make a list.

I don't mind that there is no laugh track and even that it seems to be a show about nothing but the writing and even the acting pace is pretty bad. We all love Zooey but they are just not interesting so far.

When they make you want to turn it off - its bad.

The reason I asked about what people find funny because it puts in perspective when some one says something is really bad. Of your list I watch none those shows because I do not think they are funny. With comedies there is a lot of subjective things that come into play.

#51 ·
What's funny to one person, may not be funny to another. That's the way it is. We all come from different backgrounds and different stories of our own.

For New Girl, I like it. Because the girl reminds me of my daughter, who has similar taste in clothes and is about the same age.

And Zooey seems to have some good comic spark.

I like Curb Your Enthusiasm. My wife hates it because of all the shouting Larry David does.

I like 30 Rock. My wife and daughter dont' because they hate Alec Baldwin.

Both my wife and I like Louis C.K. All the crude humor and such is offset by the heart underneath shown by Louis, and that appeals to my wife.

Go figure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.