AVS Forum banner

New Girl on FOX HD

37K views 473 replies 79 participants last post by  vfxproducer 
#1 ·
Pilot is on iTunes now. Will hit Hulu on Sept 13th. Early reviews are not so good.

#53 ·
Looks like it will be around for a while. good ratings.

LOS ANGELES | Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:08pm EDT

(Reuters) - It looks like Fox television's "New Girl" will be around for awhile.

The TV comedy starring Zooey Deschanel got the first full season order of the new TV season on Wednesday, after proving one of the brightest spots in Fox's fall line-up.

Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly said the network had ordered an additional 11 episodes of the program, after just two have been broadcast. With more than nine million viewers, "New Girl" is Fox's highest-rated fall comedy debut in 10 years.

"We love the charming Zooey Deschanel and the entire cast," said Reilly. "It's great that audiences have responded so positively so far and we're confident that even more people will embrace the show -- and more comedy on FOX -- this season."

The comedy about a ditsy 20-something woman and her three male housemates has so far outshone Fox's costly and much-hyped new dinosaur adventure series "Terra Nova", which attracted just nine million viewers when it debuted on Monday.

It has also bested "Glee" -- the 2010 pop culture sensation whose audience is falling in its third season. Some 8.3 million people watched the quirky musical comedy on Tuesday.

Fox's other headline new venture "The X Factor" drew a smaller (12.1 million) total audience than many industry watchers had expected for its premiere last week.

Creator Simon Cowell had predicted that "X Factor" would trump his old singing contest "American Idol", also on Fox, in the ratings. But Fox executives say that last week's debut audience for "X Factor" was in line with the network's expectations.

After the first week of the new 2011-12 TV season, Fox was the top network in primetime among 18-49 year olds most prized by advertisers, while CBS came first in overall viewers for the third straight year.

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant; Editing by Bob Tourtellotte)

#54 ·
Cool, I'll give it a full season. I like Zooey enough, but if the show doesn't become more than what it's been the first two weeks (girl gets in predicament, roommates to the rescue) I'll give up. It's a very quick half hour.

And since we're naming comedic shows we like:

Parks and Rec, Community, The League, 30 Rock (although it's on the wane), Happy Endings, South Park.

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer /forum/post/21011409

Wow. Did not like the new episode AT ALL. Half way through, my wife turned to me and said 'do we have to finish it?', and I told her 'that's what I was thinking'. I literally decided that going to do the dishes would be better entertainment than watching the rest of the show.

I agree! except I suffered through the whole episode, I'm out! Even Zooey's beautiful blue eyes can't save this train wreck.

Modern Family, Parks & Rec., two broke girls(for now)

#57 ·
I still stand by my comment that New Girl is a poor man's Happy Endings, and New Girl definitely was worse without Damon Wayans Jr. I'm surprised others don't see how this appears to be a Happy Endings rip off, or at least similar shows (although the quality differs). Much like last season with Traffic Light and Perfect Couples. Similar type of show, but Traffic Light was better, but both were cancelled.

What do I think is funny?

South Park, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Eastbound and Down, Workaholics, Community, Parks & Rec, Wilfred, The League, and Happy Endings.

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 /forum/post/21014195

I still stand by my comment that New Girl is a poor man's Happy Endings, and New Girl definitely was worse without Damon Wayans Jr. I'm surprised others don't see how this appears to be a Happy Endings rip off, or at least similar shows (although the quality differs). Much like last season with Traffic Light and Perfect Couples. Similar type of show, but Traffic Light was better, but both were cancelled.

What do I think is funny?

South Park, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Eastbound and Down, Workaholics, Community, Parks & Rec, Wilfred, The League, and Happy Endings.

I just got into Happy Endings. I really love it.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill /forum/post/21014254

I just got into Happy Endings. I really love it.

I tried a few of them when it was recently repeated and quickly deleted the season pass.

#60 ·
I like the show but mostly because I really like Zooey. The first two shows' plots have been threadbare and the guys' characters and stuff isn't making it thus far. The alpha male subplot was a fail. Zooey's personality is carrying the show but I'm not sure how far that will go.

#63 ·
well after seeing last nights episode of whitney, this show has a better chance of making it through a full season than whitney.

whitney would be better if they just let her do her stand up stuff. putting her in these contrived situations do not play well to her talents.

#66 ·
One of perhaps the absolute worst episodes of any comedy I've ever watched. It didn't even make me smile. The supporting cast is just bad. Really bad. And last night Zoey's charm couldnt even keep me interested. Couple more like this and I'm out.

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill /forum/post/21041305

One of perhaps the absolute worst episodes of any comedy I've ever watched. It didn't even make me smile. The supporting cast is just bad. Really bad. And last night Zoey's charm couldnt even keep me interested. Couple more like this and I'm out.

Yeah, the episode was pretty bad but Zoey looked amazing in that dress

I think they need to tone down her quirkiness a bit.

#68 ·
I thought this was the best episode of the three.

Probably, though I liked the pilot too. The beginning was funnier than later in the show when they started to make everything touching.

#69 ·
Polarizing comments about this show, and really, I can see both sides. She's a very interesting character, but the question is how she will wear over time. The writing is uneven and the supporting cast is weak. I guess it comes down to whether you like her or not, and I'm starting to think that a little of her goes a long way.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood /forum/post/21041725

The beginning was funnier than later in the show when they started to make everything touching.

I was the exact opposite. When they stopped acting like fools and became somewhat normal towards the end I thought it was watchable. I will say the storyline for each episode remains identical with the situation they are thrown into being the only difference. Did anyone see a hint of attraction between her and one of the roomies?

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer /forum/post/21042650

The best supporting cast member in last night's episode was the chick with the clip-on earings who was in bed with Schmidt at the end. When a basically walk-on guest star upstages your cast regulars, that's a problem. Coach replacement is getting better, though.

I think she was a bit character in American Pie.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer /forum/post/21042650

Coach replacement is getting better, though.

I think he is fine too. Although is it because of his acting or the material they give him (yet to see them force him to be as foolish as the others)? I tend to think it's more the material than acting across the board.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.