post #182 of 457 Old 03-08-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

IMHO, this week's ep was horrible. My first thought after watching was, "Wow. I thought comedies on TV stopped doing the once-per-season 'serious but totally unfunny' episode."

Agreed. It seemed a little too soon to be doing the 'Very Special' episode about cancer. Season 3, maybe.
post #183 of 457 Old 03-08-2012, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I had to play catch up on this show and watched the last three episodes back-to-back. The two before the last one were great, best of the series(imho) but then the last one just sucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

I thought Winston had the best line about speaking on behalf of the human race we don't want this girl making robots.

^^That was hilarious! I love Winston's car also.....lol....
Like others have said, I couldn't stand Schmidt at first, but now he's probably my favorite.
Well, Cece is my favorite <3
post #184 of 457 Old 03-13-2012, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Too soon indeed, i thought it was going to be the season finale cliffhanger or something............

Am i the only one who thinks Zooey isn't even acting? She just plays herself

The show would be great just for her, but it turned out to be pretty good, i'm not really into modern sitcoms.

post #185 of 457 Old 03-14-2012, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post

Am i the only one who thinks Zooey isn't even acting? She just plays herself

I've thought that as well. She seems completely in her element on this show.
post #186 of 457 Old 03-14-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Another incredibly solid half hour of TV. It probably helped that the episode focused almost entirely on Schmidt. Can't believe how quickly the writers (and the actor) made me go from wanting the d-bag off the show to now wanting to hear more and more of his d-bag sayings. Emmys need to show him some love.
post #187 of 457 Old 03-14-2012, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 128
The white whale!

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #188 of 457 Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Solid episode. Some pretty funny moments.

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #189 of 457 Old 03-15-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Am i the only one who thinks Zooey isn't even acting? She just plays herself.

Michelle Williams on a Fresh Air interview said that Marilyn Monroe was an act (She studied her carfully for her portrayal of her in My Week With Marilyn). It was a carefully constructed persona. Shelley Winters showed her how to put vaseline on her teeth so her lips would slide up, for instance.

Zooey is always doing the waif. It is acting, because she shows more variety in her movie roles. She does have a good sense of comic timing and she does physical comedy well. She gets a little too cutesy, but I'm a fan nonetheless.

CW Hinkle
post #190 of 457 Old 03-15-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

It would be pretty funny if Zooey was actually the biggest a-hole you could possibly get to know.
post #191 of 457 Old 03-15-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

It would be pretty funny if Zooey was actually the biggest a-hole you could possibly get to know.

Oh, don't worry. If her career lasts long enough, she'll become that eventually. They usually do.
post #192 of 457 Old 03-15-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

The voice over from behind the door at the end of the last episode was hysterical. "And now he's knighting you...." LOL.
post #193 of 457 Old 03-15-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Just read the new Entertainment Weekly. Interesting article about the tonal shift in the show, specificially about how the show seems to rip Zoey's quirkiness as of late, while in the beginning, it was embraced without anyone ripping it for laughs.

The producers defend it saying that tonal shifts during shows are common, but at least part of the article makes the point (or should I say, makes the case) that the show is trying to appeal to people who are put off by the quirkiness of Zoey (And her character).
post #194 of 457 Old 03-15-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Oh, don't worry. If her career lasts long enough, she'll become that eventually. They usually do.

If rumors about her split with Ben Gibbard are true, then she already has.

She doesn't need him to prop up her music career now she has a prime time sitcom.

post #195 of 457 Old 03-16-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Sister's boyfriend ushered a She and Him outdoor concert and said that Zooey was rude to the ushers during her sound check. It later really rained extensively and she might have been preoccupied, but still...

CW Hinkle
post #196 of 457 Old 03-20-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Good episode.

The more I watch this show, the more I can relate to Nick's mannerisms.

"Ghost protocol, man," Nick says as he's wearing a hoodie with the hood over his head. Incorporating references like that makes for some rather smart writing.
post #197 of 457 Old 03-20-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Finally, my wife has been won over. She watched one of the first episodes and didn't like it at all. Tonight as TiVo cut off the last few seconds she said... is that it... and later admitted it has improved. I thought the library scene was great.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #198 of 457 Old 03-20-2012, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That was a good Nick episode. But it needed more Schmidt, but most every show on TV could use more Schmidt. And Cece.

"This is President Miller...of Earth!"
post #199 of 457 Old 03-21-2012, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Finally, my wife has been won over. She watched one of the first episodes and didn't like it at all. Tonight as TiVo cut off the last few seconds she said... is that it... and later admitted it has improved. I thought the library scene was great.

Charles-
Same here. This show has gone a complete 180 since the start of the season. This is now in my Top 3 favorite shows on TV (Happy Endings being #1).

Nick's credit score of 250. "You have the credit score of a homeless ghost". I spit my water out...

This show is on an awesome roll.
post #200 of 457 Old 03-21-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Still like the show but this to me was one of its least funny episodes. Liked the shot at the very end over the credits with Nick goofing (improvising?) sitting at the desk.

CW Hinkle
post #201 of 457 Old 03-21-2012, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Really good wrting and charactors. Even Breaking In has good writing. As opposed to I Hate My Teenage Daughter with such lame writing you can picture the sound guy turning up and down the laughtrack pot on every line uttered.
post #202 of 457 Old 03-21-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

Still like the show but this to me was one of its least funny episodes.

I think it's the stand-up versus plot driven preference in many cases. Like with The Big Bang Theory. One group will love the episode and the other not so much... just goes to what one is looking for.

| 
|
|
|
post #203 of 457 Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

This show was filled with tons of great lines. For example, Just Nick at Russell's study:

"I'm President Miller, you're all fired! Bring our boys home."
Clutching a wooden mallard: "I want to kill you... because I respect you. [to Jess] I think I understand hunting!"
"You want to come in here and charge me a billion dollars? That's nothing to me!"
"You're off the streets... [pause] I don't want to either, you're the best cop I got!"
"It's President Miller of Earth. I'd like to speak to the Galactic Emperor, please. [pause] Yeah it's about money."
"I'm going to push a piece of paper across the desk that I've written a little number on.... Why don't I just tell you? It's $5 kabillion. What do you say? Is China mine, Mr. Ying?"

post #204 of 457 Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

That was a good Nick episode. But it needed more Schmidt, but most every show on TV could use more Schmidt. And Cece.

"This is President Miller...of Earth!"

Yeah I used to hate Schmidt and like Nick. Now I want more Schmidt and want to kick Nick in the stones.

------

post #205 of 457 Old 03-27-2012, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another really good episode. Loving Schmidt more and more with every show. I'd love a one-on-one interview with Harold and Kumar.
post #206 of 457 Old 03-28-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Nielsen Notes
How New Girl' on Fox Lost Its Ratings Mojo
By Bill Carter, The New York Times' 'Media Decoder' Blog - Mar. 28, 2012

What's happened to New Girl? The Fox sitcom that exploded at the start of the fall season with bona fide hit ratings has moved into a pattern that is approaching a tailspin.

The latest episode of New Girl on Tuesday night plunged to its lowest numbers yet, a 2.5 rating among the 18- to 49-year-old audience that Fox sells to most advertisers and only 4.89 million total viewers.

It was the eighth week in a row that the show has seen its audience decline. In terms of total audience, New Girl, which stars Zooey Deschanel in the title role, attracted far less than half as many viewers this week as saw its premiere in September, 10.28 million viewers.

The show opened the season with a 4.8 rating in that 18-49 audience, a spectacular debut. It stayed above a 4 rating in that group for its first three episodes, which ran consecutively from Sept. 20 to Oct. 4.

Then the decline began, and it is not hard to trace a major reason why. Just as New Girl was establishing some hit momentum with those first three episodes, Fox removed the show from the air for a month. The next New Girl episode came on Nov. 1. The show fell that week from a 4.3 rating for its Oct. 4 episode to a 3.6 in that 18-49 category and lost more than 1.2 million viewers from the previous episode.

The comedy remained relatively stable through January, but then the plunge began. Some of the decline has been related to the falloff in the shows that have preceded it from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. Glee has seen its one-time hit numbers slide this year; since that show went on hiatus on Feb. 21, the lead-in to New Girl has been worse.

Fox installed two comedies Raising Hope and I Hate My Teenage Daughter from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m., to substitute for Glee. But Teenage Daughter was so thoroughly rejected by audiences (and critics, who hated it much worse than the characters hated their offspring) that Fox canceled the show and now uses repeats of Raising Hope at 8:30. These draw puny ratings. That hurts New Girl at 9.

But the explanation for the comedy's disappointing ratings after those first three episodes centers on the scheduling decision that yanked the show off the air for a month, just as it was settling in with viewers. Fox made the move partly to accommodate post-season baseball, but mainly to protect another show.

For several weeks, The X-Factor the new singing competition on Fox, inherited the Tuesday slot that belonged to New Girl because Fox feared breaking the weekly pattern of the reality show during its baseball coverage. The move did preserve the ratings for X-Factor, but it may have come at the cost of New Girl, which seems never to have recovered fully from that separation from its early fans.

The hope for a turnaround for New Girl now rests with the return of Glee on April 10. The comedy is in no danger of not being ordered for a second season, but if it doesn't bounce back with a better show in front of it, the great prospects it showed in its first three episodes may dim considerably.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...ref=television

post #207 of 457 Old 03-28-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I laugh at the fact that some people only watch shows because they come on after other shows. There's some really stupid people out there.
post #208 of 457 Old 03-28-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Networks have been doing this hiatus crap for a few years. I can understand why people dump the shows when they are missing for months. I only watch shows that have been recorded by my dvr so it doesn't matter to me nor does it matter to me what shows are on first as I handpick shows I want to watch.

post #209 of 457 Old 03-28-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Ratings wise I can't help but think the early on lousy episodes drove away many viewers. I pretty much gave up and if I didn't have a season pass I would have never keep watching. As good as the show is now (for me) one can only hope it catches on. I think my favorite bit (there were plenty of good ones) last episode was Jess dragging herself out of the room after falling.

| 
|
|
|
post #210 of 457 Old 03-28-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Ratings wise I can't help but think the early on lousy episodes drove away many viewers. I pretty much gave up and if I didn't have a season pass I would have never keep watching. As good as the show is now (for me) one can only hope it catches on. I think my favorite bit (there were plenty of good ones) last episode was Jess dragging herself out of the room after falling.

That wasn't Jess. That was Jess' sister who fell.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page