New Girl on FOX HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 463 Old 09-08-2011, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Pilot is on iTunes now. Will hit Hulu on Sept 13th. Early reviews are not so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 463 Old 09-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I caught this show OnDemand on BHN....

And in the words of the Great Charles Barkley..

This Show is Teahraable.

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #3 of 463 Old 09-08-2011, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #4 of 463 Old 09-13-2011, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally got around to watching it. It's in fact, not TURRIBULL. They definitely need to tone down the cutesiness of Zoe though. I liked Wayans as Coach, so it'll be interesting to see how the guy that replaces him plays it.
post #5 of 463 Old 09-13-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The previews looked horrible and very unfunny, but I'm such a sucker for Zoey that I'll have to give it a chance

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #6 of 463 Old 09-13-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I watched the pilot and it had a couple of nice moments. The rest was overblown and I couldn't help but think of Accidentally on Purpose. Hopefully the guys can become less one-dimensional.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #7 of 463 Old 09-20-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Saw the pilot tonight. Not because of Damon Wayans Jr in the pilot, but I really did get the vibe that this show is the poor man's version of Happy Endings. I'd be surprised if anyone didn't see the similarities in style and attempts at "pop culture jokes," and using break-ups as a basis for show.
post #8 of 463 Old 09-20-2011, 10:46 PM

Liked: 11
I liked it. During this first episode, several jokes caught me off guard with laughter. Surprise laughter is my favorite kind of humor; and this show definitely has that kind of humor to it.

Plus, I love Zoey Deschanel. I loved her characters in "Tin Man" and "Weeds." And then I absolutely hated her character in the movie "500 Days of Summer." So it's kind of nice to have her play a character I can like again. She has a bubbly quality to her that I find charming. I also love the way her voice rises and falls in tone and pitch. It's very unique to Zoey. I've never heard anyone else talk like she does.

I laughed at the Lord of the Rings joke, despite the fact that I had already seen the joke in the ad for the show. There's a certain random quality to this show that I really like.

It's also really refreshing to not have a laugh track, I mean "live studio audience," laughing at every single joke during the show. The absence of audience laughter, makes the jokes feel more natural. It's nice that Fox doesn't pollute their comedies with unnecessary laugh tracks, the way that CBS does. I wish CBS would get rid of the studio audience on all of their sitcoms.

I'll be giving "New Girl" a season pass. It's definitely got potential.

"Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced, they encompass the entire week." Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force
post #9 of 463 Old 09-21-2011, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Pretty bad and FOX you still blow.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #10 of 463 Old 09-21-2011, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 110
It was better than I thought it would be... but then I had lowered my expectations.

I like Zooey... I don't know if that will be enough.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #11 of 463 Old 09-21-2011, 05:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Our youth is in SERIOUS trouble if this is anywhere NEAR reality. AIR HEADS! All! It looks like the writers are dumbing down the jokes. In a comedy, you are supposed to laugh, not snicker under your breath. No out and out laughs.

As a whole it wasn't bad, but then I haven't seen too many pilots that are great. Will watch the next episode to see if it starts to solidify. If not, this thing is probably toast.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #12 of 463 Old 09-21-2011, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 58
It wasn't terrible and had its good moments. Zooey's cutesy shtick is charming, but I see it quickly wearing off.

With the way the characters behave, their douchebag jar must fill up at least twice a day.
post #13 of 463 Old 09-21-2011, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
The show felt like a pilot, but there were still some promising moments. It certainly helps the show to be wedge between Glee and Raising Hope.
post #14 of 463 Old 09-21-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I liked it. I thought the real humor was in a lot of the throwaway humor, the remarks that happened in the background. There was also a real eye for detail (the Dirty Dancing and Rings references, and the douchebag jar running gag was really funny. And the supporting players were all funny.

I think this could go somewhere.

CW Hinkle
post #15 of 463 Old 09-21-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

I liked it. I thought the real humor was in a lot of the throwaway humor, the remarks that happened in the background. There was also a real eye for detail (the Dirty Dancing and Rings references, and the douchebag jar running gag was really funny. And the supporting players were all funny.

I thought so too. You can't tell much from a pilot. I thought this was funny. Whether it has legs depends on the writing and character development down the road. The gags that worked in the pilot will grow stale if overused, but I'm sure there will be more. I'll keep watching for now.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #16 of 463 Old 09-21-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I was really looking forward to this and, especially, to Zooey. But I really didn't like it (except the ending scenes about saving Zooey). I really don't see how her off-beat cuteness quotient can carry a show like this. And truly, I didn't find it to be nearly as funny as I hoped, except in very limited spots.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #17 of 463 Old 09-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Very impressive ratings, built almost a full point out of Glee. If you liked this in you're for a whole season, at least.

Because 2 Broke Girls followed 31 million viewers at the end of 2.5 Men on Monday, I'm inclined to throw out its 7.1 rating and call New Girl's 4.7 the best premiere of the season that probably won't be beaten... except by X-Factor.
post #18 of 463 Old 09-21-2011, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

I was really looking forward to this and, especially, to Zooey. But I really didn't like it (except the ending scenes about saving Zooey). I really don't see how her off-beat cuteness quotient can carry a show like this. And truly, I didn't find it to be nearly as funny as I hoped, except in very limited spots.

I came away with about the same feelings as you about the show. I like Zooey a lot, but this show doesn't seem to do it for me, of course I've never really been a fan of network comedies. I'll probably give it another shot, but I'm doubting it will make a series recording.
post #19 of 463 Old 09-21-2011, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I am a huge Zoey fan but this was not good. I am rooting for it and will watch but 2 more shows like this and the 3rd will be the last that anyone ever watches IMO. Fox will yank it.
post #20 of 463 Old 09-21-2011, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I thought it was pretty good. For me, the weakest point wasn't the writing or the peformances, it was the editing. The comic timing was ruined in the edit. I could see all the material there, it just fell flat in some places because the timing was off. I can't blame the editor, though, given how pilots work. Too many cooks nit picking it to death. Subsequent episodes could be much better.
post #21 of 463 Old 09-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I enjoyed it. Lots of pilots are "meh" (I remember thinking that even with the pilot for 'Friends' back in the 90's), but I enjoyed this pilot more than most.

I think it has good potential depending on the writers.
post #22 of 463 Old 09-22-2011, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I thought it was pretty good. For me, the weakest point wasn't the writing or the peformances, it was the editing. The comic timing was ruined in the edit. I could see all the material there, it just fell flat in some places because the timing was off. I can't blame the editor, though, given how pilots work. Too many cooks nit picking it to death. Subsequent episodes could be much better.

Bingo. I felt exactly the same way.
post #23 of 463 Old 09-25-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Wow, Zooey! Enjoyed the lack of studio laughing(unlike one of the other shows with a Zoey) and it was quite fast paced. Setup a season pass, we'll see how thing pan out, eye candy for sure
post #24 of 463 Old 09-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Wow, Zooey! Enjoyed the lack of studio laughing(unlike one of the other shows with a Zoey) and it was quite fast paced. Setup a season pass, we'll see how thing pan out, eye candy for sure

What is it with the laugh tracks / no laugh tracks. It has absolutely zero effect on me in how much I enjoy the show. I don't think having no laugh track helped this at all.
post #25 of 463 Old 09-26-2011, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post

What is it with the laugh tracks / no laugh tracks.

It's one of those things .... like gluten ... either you're hyper-sensitive to it, or not.
post #26 of 463 Old 09-26-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I thought so too. You can't tell much from a pilot. I thought this was funny. Whether it has legs depends on the writing and character development down the road. The gags that worked in the pilot will grow stale if overused, but I'm sure there will be more. I'll keep watching for now.

You're both wrong...it sucks.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #27 of 463 Old 09-27-2011, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I laughed a few times in the premiere, especially from Coach. Will stick with it for awhile.

post #28 of 463 Old 09-27-2011, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I laughed a few times in the premiere, especially from Coach. Will stick with it for awhile.

Me too, which is why it's a shame he's off the show now.
post #29 of 463 Old 09-27-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I mostly felt embarrassed for them with all the stupid comments they were making. I understand the running D-bag jar joke, but it was too over the top for me. I didn't feel the urge to laugh even once. I like the actors in most everything else I've seen them in so they'll get a few more chances, but I wasn't impressed so far. If they don't pick it up quick, room on the DVR may require a deletion.

My Maelstrom-18" EGG build.
post #30 of 463 Old 09-27-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
You're mean GM2.

I'm going to give it another chance because I'm hoping Zoey can land on a comedy that isn't on premium channels that I don't get. I think she's a good comedian.

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page