AVS Forum banner

"Ringer" on the CW

19K views 272 replies 44 participants last post by  Fastslappy 
#1 ·
I didn't see a thread about this new series that started tonight. I apologize if one exists already.

I thought the pilot was quite interesting. Looks like the plot could get intricate, but I am a sucker for serialized shows, so that's just how I like it. Buffy still looks good it seems too
. I will be watching for sure. Anyone else?

See less See more
#154 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 /forum/post/21666754

Yeah, I referenced that 3 days ago. Which, to be fair Hd, I did kinda let the cat out of the bag, didn't I? Sorry-I'll use spoilers in the future...The twisted thing about the twist is it was so cliched, so obvious, so DUMB...and yet, so very, very sly...

No worries, at least not from me... I read spoilers all the time... I just thought in the beginning this was the obvious twist, so I figured the less-obvious was where they would go... but then at the last minute they switched and went for the obvious twist just to keep us guessing I suppose.

#155 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 /forum/post/21668101

drawing a blank, which is extremely frustrating.I have a nagging suspicion I noticed something but it could be my imagination. Enlighten, please?

Unless I too missed something... I think it is when Olivia goes to see Henry and they have the quick dialog about inviting her in and vampires.

#156 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo /forum/post/21668169

I missed it as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 /forum/post/21668153

I need to listen more closely as I missed someone shouting, "Look! A vampire!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 /forum/post/21668101

drawing a blank, which is extremely frustrating.I have a nagging suspicion I noticed something but it could be my imagination. Enlighten, please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 /forum/post/21668604

Unless I too missed something... I think it is when Olivia goes to see Henry and they have the quick dialog about inviting her in and vampires.

Yeah that one.

Olivia ask "aren't you going to invite me in?"

Henry "what are you a vampire" with a smug look on his face.

Very reminiscent of early Angel and Buffy scenes when Angel was explaining the rules.

Also on Angel's show when he explained the rules to the blonde cop.

#157 ·
^^^ OK, I didn't miss it.

Here I am thinking that I missed someone actually saying the words "Look! A vampire!" I didn't put 2 and 2 together to relate the text to that scene.

#158 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydigi /forum/post/21675304

Yeah that one.

Olivia ask "aren't you going to invite me in?"

Henry "what are you a vampire" with a smug look on his face.

Very reminiscent of early Angel and Buffy scenes when Angel was explaining the rules.

Also on Angel's show when he explained the rules to the blonde cop.

pretty standard rules though-going all the way back to Stoker's Dracula. Not really a Buffy reference, sadly.

#159 ·
Well, this twist I did see coming
As I'm sure everyone else did too, being the only reason I can think of for having the mother still around...they practically spoon fed us what was going to happen, offerring several not so subtle hints over the last couple of episodes...Another thing I love about this show. Its so secure in its smartness it isn't afraid to appear dumb
At first glance this episode might not seem to be up to the level of the last few, but to me me it was extremely clever. Slyly changing gears, leaving the outrageous twists and surprises behind for the moment to concentrate on the drama...They took the weight of the story off the surreal for the moment and placed it all on Sarah's pretty shoulders, letting her carry the load. And she did it admiringly, more than up to the task. I'm admittingly biased-Buffy is my favorite show of all time. But to me at least Sarah's performance last night was amazing. Its going to go unsung of course, just like her acting was never rewarded properly for the Slayer. And no, I'm not saying she's Meryl Streep...but I will say MS couldn't have done a better job than Sarah did in this one. My opinion of course YMMV...but I'm still enjoying the heck out of this show..

#160 ·
The scene in the previews where the two sisters confront each other made it appear that it was in the present. It didn't say so exactly, but me, and I'm sure most of the audiance, got that impression. Not long into the episode, I realized that it was a flashback. Well done with the mis-direct there.

Nice to see Misha again--in a very different role from Cass.

I certainly saw the "brains" behind the teacher scam early on as well. Still, it worked the way they did it. I don't think the teacher did the physical assault.

#161 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 /forum/post/21681760

Well, this twist I did see coming
As I'm sure everyone else did too, being the only reason I can think of for having the mother still around...they practically spoon fed us what was going to happen, offerring several not so subtle hints over the last couple of episodes...Another thing I love about this show. Its so secure in its smartness it isn't afraid to appear dumb
At first glance this episode might not seem to be up to the level of the last few, but to me me it was extremely clever. Slyly changing gears, leaving the outrageous twists and surprises behind for the moment to concentrate on the drama...They took the weight of the story off the surreal for the moment and placed it all on Sarah's pretty shoulders, letting her carry the load. And she did it admiringly, more than up to the task. I'm admittingly biased-Buffy is my favorite show of all time. But to me at least Sarah's performance last night was amazing. Its going to go unsung of course, just like her acting was never rewarded properly for the Slayer. And no, I'm not saying she's Meryl Streep...but I will say MS couldn't have done a better job than Sarah did in this one. My opinion of course YMMV...but I'm still enjoying the heck out of this show..

Sara's work on All My Children was incredible also. Those hyperventilating crying fits with Susan Lucci looked pretty real a lot of the time.

#162 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydigi /forum/post/21683134

Sara's work on All My Children was incredible also. Those hyperventilating crying fits with Susan Lucci looked pretty real a lot of the time.

are those available anywheres? And what was she-15 or 16?

#163 ·
#164 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydigi /forum/post/21683403

Couldn't find a direct crying scene. This was a good scene with Susan and Sarah going back and forth. Don't forget this was truncated down to 10 mins so some of the tension was lost without the commercial breaks and other stories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7mqN4kWtQ4

Bonus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fo86...eature=related

I really appreciate that-mucho thanks. Been curious for years about her AMC days. Interesting clip.

#166 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/21682323

The scene in the previews where the two sisters confront each other made it appear that it was in the present.

I thought that as well.

Quote:
I certainly saw the "brains" behind the teacher scam early on as well. Still, it worked the way they did it. I don't think the teacher did the physical assault.

I didn't catch on to that until the bench scene. I'm beginning to think that mother did the beat down by hiring someone to do it.

#167 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo /forum/post/21691142

I didn't catch on to that until the bench scene. I'm beginning to think that mother did the beat down by hiring someone to do it.

That hadn't occurred to me, but I like it. That way the loving mom would get her split of the money, plus a whole third just for herself...very possible...course if Bridget finds out...or, even better, Siobhan

#168 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo /forum/post/21691142

I didn't say it, but that was what I was getting at. I think the mother hired someone to get the money. If Juliet goes with her mother, I bet she gets Juliet's money too, somehow (without using violence). Just one day, she and ALL the money is gone. Won't that make Juliet feel good about herself?

#169 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/21682323

The scene in the previews where the two sisters confront each other made it appear that it was in the present. It didn't say so exactly, but me, and I'm sure most of the audiance, got that impression.

I didn't think so... When I remember first seeing the preview of that scene, I thought for sure it was a scene from the past. They had been building up to "something bad happened in the past that was unforgivable" so I kind of figured that was what was going to be happening in that scene.

For once they didn't trick me.

#172 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 /forum/post/21698577

Thinking about the beat down, I've got a notion it was the stepmom Juliet met at the hospital.

Foster mom... but yeah, that would add a new twist... maybe Foster mom sees the new car and gets curious, finds the money and then beats her foster daughter and tells her to make up the story about a guy.

Teacher-dude definitely seemed surprised... and while they wanted us to think it was Juliet's mother since she was revealed as the mastermind... it makes for a more twisty story to have foster mom get in on the action.

#173 ·
Slipped up on the foster-step thing, but that actually makes it even more likely, doesn't it? I'm just thinking there has to be more to the character than just a couple lines of exposition, and having it quickly established she's not a blood relative removes some of the stigma of doing violence to her "daughter". Course I'm probably completely wrong. Heck, with this show it will probably turn out to be the FBI guy

Or Siobhan...

#174 ·
Okay, they shocked me by going with the obvious again
The last thing I'd expect from this show so it worked for me...Other than that it was back to the surreal, throwing info about the storyline at us with so many twists and turns it makes my head spin. Andrew a crook? Twins? Siobhan growing more complex in her motives? Ringer redefines guilty pleasure for me, I'm amazed by how much its sucked me in. Full discloser-I don't really watch that much network tv-the only shows I'm really invested in right now are The Walking Dead, Justified, and this one. And of the 3, Ringer is the one I find myself most looking forward to each week. Weird...

#175 ·
I felt all along that Andrew was more involved in the crooked scheme... but I agree, it was obvious... so I thought they might throw us a curve. I suppose they could still throw a different curve... and maybe Olivia will turn out to be working to expose the scheme?

I got the feeling, though, that Andrew and Olivia had a thing going prior to Bridgette taking Siobhan's place.

Meanwhile, I like that they do the classic soap-opera repeating stuff after a commercial break.

Like... at the end of a scene someone will say "I have something to tell you"... and then after the commercial break, the other person starts the next scene by saying "So, you say you have something to tell me"... it's weird, but unique to soap-opera scene switches since they often drop to a different story before coming back to finish a scene and have to remind the viewer where they last left off.

The longer this plays out... Bridgette might be the only normal/sane person in the whole show!

#176 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 /forum/post/21716095

I felt all along that Andrew was more involved in the crooked scheme... but I agree, it was obvious... so I thought they might throw us a curve. I suppose they could still throw a different curve... and maybe Olivia will turn out to be working to expose the scheme?

I got the feeling, though, that Andrew and Olivia had a thing going prior to Bridgette taking Siobhan's place.

Meanwhile, I like that they do the classic soap-opera repeating stuff after a commercial break.

Like... at the end of a scene someone will say "I have something to tell you"... and then after the commercial break, the other person starts the next scene by saying "So, you say you have something to tell me"... it's weird, but unique to soap-opera scene switches since they often drop to a different story before coming back to finish a scene and have to remind the viewer where they last left off.

The longer this plays out... Bridgette might be the only normal/sane person in the whole show!

I've got a feeling she's not what she appears either...What about the mole? Is that Siobhan or her parisian lover? Or a new character? Will they play the old chestnut of Siobhan's twins having different fathers? And if they go through the 2nd wedding will Andrew be a bigamist? Whats to stop the teacher from confessing to the whole scam in return for immunity? And where the heck is the FBI guy? Still trying to make sense of the timeline?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.