The Secret Circle on the CW HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 09-16-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Another new pilot on the CW. This one is about a group of high school kids, and when I say high school I'd be surprised if any were actually that young but I could be wrong. Anyway they are mostly witches and they need the latest addition(Britt Robertson) to complete the "circle" and increase their powers.
Overall I thought it had good premise, definitely some nice eye candy I mean everyone seems to be a size 0 and dressed to the nines! Gorgeous backdrop(Washington state, or so they say) and everyone seems to drive a Beemer or at least Volvo oh and live in a $500K house
I'm setting up a season pass, we'll see how things pan out.
Great HD too! (at least in my market).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sec...28TV_series%29
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-16-2011, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I though it was a snoozefest but I'll see if things pick up next week. The characters were just cookie-cutter CW types.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #3 of 27 Old 09-16-2011, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry for the late notice but for anyone interested, CW will be repeating the pilot tonight at 8pm CT.
post #4 of 27 Old 09-16-2011, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

I though it was a snoozefest but I'll see if things pick up next week. The characters were just cookie-cutter CW types.

I'd have to agree with your assessment, I gave it a shot, just aint for me, of course I'm a 59 yr old male, so I'm definitely not the intended audience. The one effect it had on me, was that I wish The Sarah Connor Chronicles hadn't been cancelled.
post #5 of 27 Old 09-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
This is definitely not my usual cup of tea, but I actually thought it was decent. I'll continue watching as a guilty pleasure for a while.
post #6 of 27 Old 09-17-2011, 11:03 AM

I hate the guy that murdered Cassie's mother. When I say I hate him, I don't mean it in the sense that he's a well written villain that I love to hate. I hate him in the sense that he seems like a one dimensional villain from some kids cartoon. He comes off as a pure evil super villain, with no redeeming qualities. I also hate his character, because of the way other characters react to him.

When he murdered Cassie's mom, why didn't she use her witch powers to save herself? Why didn't she try to run out of the house? She acted like a chicken with its head cut off.

I would like to see a little more complexity and subtlety from the villain.

I was disappointed that a love triangle was set up during the first episode of this show. I worry that The Secret Circle is going to quickly turn into a soap opera.

Upon first meeting Cassie, Adam's father started talking about how Cassie's mother and him were supposed to be together, and that Cassie and his son, Adam, were destined to be together, because "it was written in the stars." Later on Cassie tells Adam that his father is "sweet, and that's a good thing." Um, no. The proper response would have been: "Your dad's kind of creepy."

I'll give this show 1, maybe 2 more episodes to start getting good. On the plus side, the main character, Cassie, is pretty easy on the eyes.

"Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced, they encompass the entire week." Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force
post #7 of 27 Old 09-17-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by randalthor View Post

When he murdered Cassie's mom, why didn't she use her witch powers to save herself? Why didn't she try to run out of the house? She acted like a chicken with its head cut off.

Maybe it's something along the lines of psychics never know the winning lottery numbers...you know, that whole "can't benefit personally from their powers" or something...

Or, perhaps Mom was a moron.

I'm sure not everyone graduated at the top of their Wicken University class...
post #8 of 27 Old 09-17-2011, 09:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Another new pilot on the CW. This one is about a group of high school kids, and when I say high school I'd be surprised if any were actually that young but I could be wrong.

unknown (no IMDB birthday listing for Nick)

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #9 of 27 Old 09-18-2011, 12:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Another new pilot on the CW. This one is about a group of high school kids, and when I say high school I'd be surprised if any were actually that young but I could be wrong.

One of my pet peeves.
If the show is about kids, get KIDS to play the parts!
Sheesh, the audience isn't that stupid.

At any rate, I watched 1/2 hour before I realized I would never watch another episode ever again...

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #10 of 27 Old 09-18-2011, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

That's bad! and people want to know why kids are trying to grow up so fast, I mean high school viewers thinking they need to look like 24 or even 27 year olds
Again I'm going to give it a few more shows but as mentioned before this is definitely a guilty pleasure
post #11 of 27 Old 09-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

At least most of them are within a decade of their character's age. I've recently been rewatching the old 1983 TV mini-series 'The Winds of War' on streaming Netflix. Not all the characters' ages are specifically given, but here are few of my estimates:

Robert Mitchum: 66 playing early 50's
Ali MacGraw: 44 playing 28
Jan-Michael Vincent: 39 playing 22
Ben Murphy: 41 playing 24
David Dukes: 38 playing 28
Lisa Eilbacher: 27 playing 17

Casting older actors into younger roles is just something Hollywood has always done.

Duane
post #12 of 27 Old 09-18-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post

Casting older actors into younger roles is just something Hollywood has always done.

Duane

You have a point there.
But I still don't like it.

post #13 of 27 Old 09-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 99
So then, this show has the double play of getting teen female viewers to think they need to look like 24 year olds AND getting middle age male viewers to lust after (portrayed) high school girls.

Sounds like a lose-lose to me.
post #14 of 27 Old 09-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

So, how are the new Star Wars Blurays? Personally, I've seen the movies so many times, my enthusiasm to buy them isn't that high. But I am really excited to hear Rocketeer is coming out in a couple of months and I may splurge for it.

Getting back on topic, I thought the first episode was only so-so, certainly not in the same league as Vampire Diary's. But then it probably took awhile for Vampire Diary's to get good, too. It definitely was almost the end of the first season before I became an Ian Somerhalder fan, but now I think he's one of the best parts of the show. Hopefully the girl who started the storm in the first episode will evolve in the same direction. A well done 'dark' character can be a lot of fun. (And the way VD develops characters over an arc and then simply kills them off to head in a new direction is a style I really like. Reminds me a little of the old Highlander show, which did the same thing.)

Duane
post #15 of 27 Old 09-18-2011, 11:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post

So then, this show has the double play of getting teen female viewers to think they need to look like 24 year olds AND getting middle age male viewers to lust after (portrayed) high school girls.

+1
make it +2

post #16 of 27 Old 09-19-2011, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

One of my pet peeves.
If the show is about kids, get KIDS to play the parts!
Sheesh, the audience isn't that stupid.

At any rate, I watched 1/2 hour before I realized I would never watch another episode ever again...

Quote:

Duane

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

You have a point there.
But I still don't like it.

I remember reading an interview with a producer of a show featuring high school age characters. He had said he would not cast 20+ year olds as 16 year olds in his show. He said in the interview that he screen tested almost a thousand 16-17 year olds, and they just didn't have the maturity to do the acting he required. He very reluctantly admitted that he was forced into the 20+ age group to get the performances he wanted. Now that was one case, and it was a few years ago, so I don't even remember the show he was talking about, but I remember the issue, and his eventual resolution. Since casting older actors to play teenagers is so very common, the problem might be more pervasive than most people imagine.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #17 of 27 Old 09-19-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I remember reading an interview with a producer of a show featuring high school age characters. He had said he would not cast 20+ year olds as 16 year olds in his show. He said in the interview that he screen tested almost a thousand 16-17 year olds, and they just didn't have the maturity to do the acting he required. He very reluctantly admitted that he was forced into the 20+ age group to get the performances he wanted. Now that was one case, and it was a few years ago, so I don't even remember the show he was talking about, but I remember the issue, and his eventual resolution. Since casting older actors to play teenagers is so very common, the problem might be more pervasive than most people imagine.

No doubt that plays a part.
As well as the complexity of ENFORCING a contract involving a minor when something goes wrong.

post #18 of 27 Old 09-25-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

In the 2nd episode I enjoyed the reference to the "Book of Shadows."

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #19 of 27 Old 09-26-2011, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

They managed it with BTVS, other than Zander. May take some effort but it can be done and it is worth it.

jdg
post #20 of 27 Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDG View Post

They managed it with BTVS, other than Zander. jdg

Not really. Buffy was fifteen when the show started.

Sarah was 20.
Alyson was 23.
Charisma was 27
Anthony was 43...Oh, wait a minute...

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #21 of 27 Old 09-27-2011, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Not really. Buffy was fifteen when the show started.

Sarah was 20.
Alyson was 23.
Charisma was 27
Anthony was 43...Oh, wait a minute...

Damn - I got that way wrong.

I thought I remembered an issue with Gellar's age and the second season sex scene with the Angel character. I guess the issue was with Buffy's age, not Gellar's age. :-)

jdg
post #22 of 27 Old 10-01-2011, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow this show has beautiful people and beautiful scenery(beautiful HD too) but for me that only goes so far, the story line is just too bizarre. Besides, being on the CW it's geared for people 30 years younger than me I'm out.
post #23 of 27 Old 10-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Too Bizarre? I would have said it is not bizarre enough. So far the plot seems overly simplistic and is moving glacially slow. They definitely need to add at least three or four more sub-plots.

Since most of these style of shows don't ever seem to get good until the second or third season, I wish they would just write the first season's worth of shows and then set them aside and move straight to the second before starting to film.
post #24 of 27 Old 10-01-2011, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

Since most of these style of shows don't ever seem to get good until the second or third season, I wish they would just write the first season's worth of shows and then set them aside and move straight to the second before starting to film.

Or, if they're on Fox, just cancel themselves...

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #25 of 27 Old 10-03-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
There will be changes after this pint. Up until now, they have all used their individual powers to give themselves perfect skin, bodies, and wardrobe. Now they are stuck with having to work together to have perfect skin, bodies, and wardrobe. I bunch of kids high school age, and not a zit among them all. It *HAS* to be magic.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #26 of 27 Old 10-12-2011, 04:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 161
TV Notes
The CW Picks Up 'Hart of Dixie,' 'Secret Circle' for Full Seasons
By Tim Kenneally, TheWrap.com - October 12th, 2011

The CW is officially three for three as far as new series are concerned.

In addition to the earlier reported*pick-up of "Ringer," the CW has renewed its two other freshman series with full-season orders, ringing up an additional nine episodes apiece of "Hart of Dixie" and "The Secret Circle," network president Mark Pedowitz announced Wednesday.

Lauding the "creative strength" of the dramas, Pedowitz enthused, "With compelling storylines, engaging characters and tremendous buzz, we firmly believe that 'Hart of Dixie, 'Ringer' and 'The Secret Circle' can become signature series for The CW, the kind of top-notch shows that are synonymous with our brand.

"Hart of Dixie" stars "The O.C" veteran Rachel Bilson as Dr Zoe Hart, a New York physician who transplants to the rural south.

Meanwhile, "The Secret Circle," which is executive-produced by "Vampire Diaries" maestro Kevin Williamson, stars Britt Robertson as Cassie Blake, who moves in with her grandmother in the town of New Salem to discover that the town is full of witches -- and she's one of them.

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/cw...-seasons-31798
post #27 of 27 Old 03-29-2012, 10:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

John de Lancie, ST:TNG's Q, will guest star as a grandfather on the 4/19 episode.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page