post #1 of 253 Old 09-17-2011, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC View Post

NBC's new multi-camera comedy "Whitney" is a hilarious look at modern day love, which centers around Whitney (Whitney Cummings, "Chelsea Lately") and Alex (Chris D'Elia, "Glory Daze"), a happily unmarried couple. Together for three years, the duo is in no rush to get hitched, which seems to get a mixed response from their friends.

Whitney's close circle of girlfriends includes, on one side, Lily (Zoe Lister-Jones, "The Other Guys"), a romantic idealist who loves being in love, and on the other, Roxanne (Rhea Seehorn, "The Starter Wife"), a recent divorcee who is practical, cynical and dreading being single again. Lily and Roxanne's opposing points of view only exacerbate Whitney's own complicated outlook on relationships.

Completing their close-knit group is Neal (Maulik Pancholy, NBC's "30 Rock"), a real modern day Renaissance man - sensitive and cool, who knows a little bit about everything and happens to be dating Lily. On the other end of the spectrum is Whitney and Alex's next-door neighbor Mark (Dan O'Brien, "How I Met Your Mother"), a police officer and total bachelor, who claims to be the ultimate player, but likes to talk a good game.

At the end of the day, Whitney and Alex try to have a relationship on their own terms - in a world that expects a more traditional approach.

"Whitney" premiers this Thursday, September 22, 2011 at 8:30 PM CST.

For more information about the show, please see the official link below.
http://www.nbc.com/whitney/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 253 Old 09-17-2011, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone find themselves unfairly biased against this show just based on the annoying on-screen ads they've been running all summer of her walking on the screen during whatever show/sporting event you happen to be watching on NBC?

That's how I feel.

Any reviews yet on the show? Is it supposed to be any good or is this the latest failure in this genre from NBC?
post #3 of 253 Old 09-17-2011, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
It's based on her comedy, which I checked out via Netflix on Demand and apparently I don't like her comedy. So I'll pass. I believe it was Entertainment Weekly that said she has two shows she's involved with this season - Two Broke Girls, which they said was good, and Whitney I think is a writer or producer for it. Her other show is obviously this one, which they said isn't good. This has all the makings of a gone-by-November show.
post #4 of 253 Old 09-17-2011, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Tim Goodman of the Hollywood Reporter gave odds for each new show of the season being the first to get cancelled. He gave Whitney 8:1 odds, with the following comment 'Of course, this network stubbornly stuck with Outsourced, so you never know'. That said, I'll check it out. The previews look funny. Or maybe its just that I find her very attractive.

In case you are interested, Mr. Goodman's candidate for most likely to be the first show to be cancelled is Charlies Angels, with 3:1 odds. Goodman says 'Unless it wins the distiction of becoming this seasons Unkillable Awful Show (like Mike and Molly), this remake won't be around long'.
post #5 of 253 Old 09-18-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
That said, I'll check it out. The previews look funny. Or maybe its just that I find her very attractive.

She's cute. But that will only help you so far.

CW Hinkle
post #6 of 253 Old 09-18-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I've seen her standup a little... I like her... but I have a feeling like this comedy won't last long. The previews don't make it feel like something sustainable.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #7 of 253 Old 09-18-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I watched the pilot via On Demand. This show is really terrible. I couldn't even finish it. Not even remotely up to par with the other NBC Thursday night comedies, or any of the fourth/fifth wheels that have been cancelled by NBC in recent years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 253 Old 09-19-2011, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 47
which show will last longer whitney or the one with zooey deschanel?

from the ads of whitney, it seems the plot involves her dry humping her boyfriend while he's busy doing other things.

neflixis our nemesis
post #9 of 253 Old 09-19-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I cannot imagine Whitney doing anything other than standup and being called a whore on Comedy Central roasts.
post #10 of 253 Old 09-19-2011, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

which show will last longer whitney or the one with zooey deschanel?

from the ads of whitney, it seems the plot involves her dry humping her boyfriend while he's busy doing other things.

It's a race to the bottom I fear.

I like Zooey more... but her show looks kind of painful as well.

post #11 of 253 Old 09-19-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

Isn't there a market for that on Cinemax? Maybe the show is just on the wrong network.
post #12 of 253 Old 09-20-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I watched it on TWC Video on Demand for free about 4 days ago.

That being said, it was "OK". And that OK is a stretch. I think it is worth a few viewings, and then will decide.

This happened last year with me on Outsourced. Watched it for about 3 episodes, and got more and more bored with it.

The last time I was blown away by a pilot was "Friday Night Lights". So it has been a while.
post #13 of 253 Old 09-21-2011, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have high hopes for this chick, she's cute, love her humor, her other show is great, the preview of this show looked good, I can't wait.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #14 of 253 Old 09-21-2011, 02:59 AM
Advanced Member

I liked Chris D'Elia much more than Whitney herself in this pilot. I'll be watching episode 2 though, just to be safe; hoping they work through some of the awkwardness.
post #15 of 253 Old 09-21-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
TV Review
'Whitney,' the laughs are with the star
NBC sitcom works when Whitney Cummings is cracking the jokes
By Tom Conroy, Media Life Magazine

What are the odds that two new network sitcoms would both feature jokes about lonely single women who own a talking bird so that someone will tell them they are attractive?

Pretty good, actually. Anyone who covers TV could tell you that almost every fall, two or more comedy pilots feature virtually the same joke. It's probably not a question of plagiarism. The pressure on the shows' creators to follow trends and imitate successes creates a similarity in subject matter and tone that leads to a similarity in writing.

NBC's new comedy Whitney, which has a punch line about a lonely divorced woman with seven parrots that say she looks pretty, premieres Thursday at 9:30 p.m., just eight days after NBC's Free Agents, in which someone says that her widowed grandmother bought a mynah bird for that purpose.

Although the eponymous star of Whitney, the standup comedian Whitney Cummings, is a talented and quirky performer, there's about a mynah's worth of difference between most of the jokes on Whitney and those on the usual singles-in-the-city comedy. The premiere episode builds up some energy when the focus is squarely on Cummings, but too much of the time is filled with young people sitting around swapping zingers about romance and sex, a tired formula that is probably impossible to freshen.

The series is about a happily unmarried couple who have sitcom jobs in other words, ones that allow them to hang with their friends at any given moment of the day or night. Whitney, a photographer, is living with her boyfriend of three years, Alex (Chris D'Elia), who, according to one of the many lines of expository dialogue in the premiere, sold a big Internet company.

The episode opens with Whitney and Alex jostling in front of a sink while getting ready to go to a wedding. In what may be a TV first, we see her shaving her upper lip.

The wedding makes them question their own relationship status. Alex is ready to get married, but Whitney says to him, Half of all marriages end. If half of all planes crashed, would you continue to fly?

Like many of the lines on the show, that joke feels as if it were cut and pasted from one of Cummings' standup routines. Similarly, when Alex tells her she can't wear white to the wedding, Whitney responds, Does the bride think the groom's going to get confused and marry me by accident?

Granted, most sitcoms have improbably witty characters. But the ones on Whitney are also rather blatantly designed to present various perspectives on relationships.

Roxanne (Rhea Seehorn) is a cynical divorcee. Lily (Zoe Lister-Jones) is a romantic who's all lovey-dovey with her boyfriend, Neal (Maulik Pancholy). And Mark (Dan O'Brien) is a single guy who tries to play the field.

At the wedding, they all joke in character. Mark, who's a police officer, checks out the female guests and says things like Someone's going on a ride-along tonight and Someone's getting a cavity search.

After Lily returns to the table saying that she had to fight off another girl to catch the bouquet, she shouts across the room, Enjoy another year of eHarmony, beeyotch!

The episode builds energy when Whitney tries to heat up her sex life with Alex by dressing in a naughty-nurse costume. Seemingly missing the point, she makes him produce his insurance card and then tells him to fill out some forms.

Whit, do I really need my employer's address? he asks.

It helps that Cummings is one of those rare funny people who can wear a sexy outfit without having their physique be part of the joke.

The scene takes a few clever turns before the plotline resolves itself conventionally. Rather implausibly, Whitney's mother shows up, but the good news is that she's played by Jane Kaczmarek, of Malcolm in the Middle.

Few sitcoms that star a standup comic have been edgier and funnier than the comic's own material, Seinfeld being one exception. Whitney has moments that suggest it will capture and capitalize on its star's uniqueness, but just as many moments that suggest it's going to settle into the relationship-comedy template. That's a joke that recurs more than several times each fall.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...h-the-star.asp
post #16 of 253 Old 09-21-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Geez... Spoil the whole friggin episode... Good thing I caught the episode "early".

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #17 of 253 Old 09-22-2011, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Way, way, WAY too insistently "sweetened" a laugh track on this one. I might check back in a week or two to see if it has been corrected, but it's a dealbreaker now.

CW Hinkle
post #18 of 253 Old 09-22-2011, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Didn't realize it had a laugh track. Immediately turned it off when I heard it.
post #19 of 253 Old 09-22-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Awful show that I don't see having any potential.

I agree about the laugh track. I for some reason expected Whitney to be tied to a show that did not have one.
post #20 of 253 Old 09-22-2011, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I kind of liked it, will tune in again...
post #21 of 253 Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 PM

Ummm. it was recorded in front of a live audience...

"Basically, some people seem really stressed out about the fact that the show is multi-camera with a live studio audience. People think it has a 'laugh track' which is f**king wrong. We shot it with a live in-studio audience so what you are hearing is real laughs from real people in the real audience."

Cummings acknowledged that some people may find the audience "jarring" as no other sitcoms on NBC are currently filmed that way, but pointed out that previous hits like Cheers, Roseanne, Seinfeld and Friends were shot in front of a crowd.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a3...bc-sitcom.html
post #22 of 253 Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Awful show that I don't see having any potential.

I agree about the laugh track. I for some reason expected Whitney to be tied to a show that did not have one.

So did I, but yet she's attached to 2 laugh track shows (this and "2 Broke Girls," which she also created).
post #23 of 253 Old 09-22-2011, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought it was OK. I'll give it a couple more viewings. The laughing was annoying, but only at first. They just need to tone it down in the audio mix...make it more subtle.
post #24 of 253 Old 09-22-2011, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The laugh track in this show is worse than That 70's show. I hope it gets cancelled next week.
post #25 of 253 Old 09-23-2011, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

The laugh track in this show is worse than That 70's show. I hope it gets cancelled next week.

If it becomes as consistently funny as That 70's Show, I hope it has just as long a run.
post #26 of 253 Old 09-23-2011, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Did everybody miss the "this show was filmed before a live studio audience"?

I can't say if they seeded it with additional laughter, but since it was filmed with an audience, I assumed the laughs were real even if perhaps they could have been prompted.

post #27 of 253 Old 09-23-2011, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I liked it. I'll keep watching for a while. She seems funny to me. I think her timing and delivery are very good. So far, so good for me ..

p.s. for some reason I now like nurses :-)
post #28 of 253 Old 09-23-2011, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 378
For me, I can not get past the laughing in the background whether it is a live audience or laugh track. It feels artificial since most of the time they were laughing at stuff that wasn't all that funny. They should push this show to another night. It ruins the flow of NBC's other Thursday night comedy lineup.
post #29 of 253 Old 09-23-2011, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Its seems they added some laughs on top of the audience and probaly used "laugh" signs like some of these shows have done in the past.

Argee
post #30 of 253 Old 09-23-2011, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
About 90% of everything on the show last night was seen in the advertising. I think I chuckled ONE time, I will give it a few tries though, but for me, not a good start what so ever.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page