'Pan Am' on ABC HD - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 237 Old 01-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 217
I've seen that happen with a number of shows here in Detroit. Figured it was something amiss, locally. The most habitual offender is "World News Now." Hasn't done it in a couple months, but there for a while it was impossible to sit through. Also had entire episodes of "Castle" reverberate all over the map.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 237 Old 02-04-2012, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Is this series now toast?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #213 of 237 Old 02-04-2012, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I really hope there is one more episode...I enjoyed the last episode a lot.

Suprising that they used Cronkite for the JFK assassination footage, and not ABC's...? I was reading somewhere that Cronkite was furious that there were no "warmed up" cameras; that's why they only did bulletins for the first 20-25 minutes. After that day, there was always a "standby" camera.
post #214 of 237 Old 02-04-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgerskid View Post

I really hope there is one more episode...I enjoyed the last episode a lot.

2 to go - although the next one is out of order
post #215 of 237 Old 02-04-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I see the next new PanAm episode is scheduled for Sunday 2/12/2012 at 10pm.
But ABC has been showing promos recently for a new show taking over the Sunday 10pm time slot starting in early March.
post #216 of 237 Old 02-14-2012, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Um, can anyone explain why this latest ep was shown out of order? It's pretty obvious, and I can only guess it's because ABC didn't like that creepy kid subplot (and which was really stupid).
post #217 of 237 Old 02-14-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Overall it was a very strange episode, but it did have a couple of story arcs in it that would have made more sense if it ran in order. Season (series?) finally this week.
post #218 of 237 Old 02-14-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
They'd have been better off never showing this episode at all, rather than have it placed so far out of order on so many subplots. Having nearly a month between episodes didn't help, but it was even more jarring to have so much make no sense at all, until I saw Slowbiscuit's reminder that this was that out-of-order episode. Clearly this was not an episode that could easily be run out of place. If I'd known how badly this messed up the storylines, I would have skipped it entirely. Ah well, just one more episode and it's done. The audience really fell off this week, no telling if it's due to the one month gap, or publicity that it's a dead duck, or being warned that this episode made no sense here.
post #219 of 237 Old 02-14-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Yes, it was definitely out of order, but it filled in a lot of gaps in the story that I thought they should have showed us. That they should have showed us in order is another matter. I'm just glad that we saw the story developments.

In order or not, Colette was gorgeous in some of those scenes.

Still, twelve or not, finding someone unwelcome in your room at night should have raised more of an alarm, at least my wife thought so. How'd he get in there?

Anyone who smashes their head through a window like that is certifiably mentally unstable!

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #220 of 237 Old 02-14-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Were women that promiscuous back in the early 60's? Not only the mores of the time, but also the lack of widespread use of the birth control pill.
post #221 of 237 Old 02-14-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Were women that promiscuous back in the early 60's? Not only the mores of the time, but also the lack of widespread use of the birth control pill.

The 60's were a great time. The Free Love movement influenced society to a large degree and without AIDS and whatnot things were far different.
post #222 of 237 Old 02-15-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Still, twelve or not, finding someone unwelcome in your room at night should have raised more of an alarm, at least my wife thought so. How'd he get in there?

I don't know what they were thinking - that whole deal with the kid was weird and they never explained how he was able to go anywhere he wanted. Made no sense.
post #223 of 237 Old 02-24-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I got around to watching the last episode last night. They wrapped the season up nicely since it most likely won't get a 2nd season pick up, yet left a couple of story lines there in case it does. Overall I found the show entertaining if not always factual. Just wondering, did they ever refer to the NY airport by name in any earlier episodes? That was the first time I remember hearing them call it "Idlewild" it's name for most of 1963 and earlier. Wondering if they ever slipped and called it JFK before.
post #224 of 237 Old 02-24-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

I don't know what they were thinking - that whole deal with the kid was weird and they never explained how he was able to go anywhere he wanted. Made no sense.

Actually, they did: Rich, divorced parents on different continents. He was being shuttled back and forth (for visitation), but apparently the parents couldn't be bothered to actually interact with him on either end of the trip. Simple.
post #225 of 237 Old 02-24-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

They'd have been better off never showing this episode at all, rather than have it placed so far out of order on so many subplots. Having nearly a month between episodes didn't help, but it was even more jarring to have so much make no sense at all, until I saw Slowbiscuit's reminder that this was that out-of-order episode. Clearly this was not an episode that could easily be run out of place. If I'd known how badly this messed up the storylines, I would have skipped it entirely. Ah well, just one more episode and it's done. The audience really fell off this week, no telling if it's due to the one month gap, or publicity that it's a dead duck, or being warned that this episode made no sense here.

ABC is good at fraking up the air order of series. Body of Proof is another show that they screwed up. They just can't seem to leave well enough alone.

Oh, ABC isn't the only network that does this. Fox does it as well. The Finder airs them out-of-production-order sequence as well. They've yet to air the 2nd one.

CBS has aired some episodes of Hawaii Five-0 and Blue Bloods out-of-order as well.

It is a disease that needs to be cured.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #226 of 237 Old 02-24-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Just another example of too many corporate chief's (that have no clue) and not enough Indians.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #227 of 237 Old 02-24-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

ABC is good at fraking up the air order of series. Body of Proof is another show that they screwed up. They just can't seem to leave well enough alone.

Oh, ABC isn't the only network that does this. Fox does it as well. The Finder airs them out-of-production-order sequence as well. They've yet to air the 2nd one.

CBS has aired some episodes of Hawaii Five-0 and Blue Bloods out-of-order as well.

It is a disease that needs to be cured.

Futurama fans will attest to just how badly FOX can mess up a show's order.
(It's probably the only show list on Wikipedia that most everyone agrees should NOT be listed in airing order)

But at least that show isn't heavily serialized - to do what ABC just did with Pan Am with 1 episode is just ridiculous.

Of course then there's ABC's attempt to get into animated shows with Clerks, and they completely destroyed any chance that show had just by stupid decisions like airing the 4th episode first, then the 2nd episode second, which included lots of references to the 1st produced episode... without ever actually airing it beforehand...
post #228 of 237 Old 02-25-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Actually, they did: Rich, divorced parents on different continents. He was being shuttled back and forth (for visitation), but apparently the parents couldn't be bothered to actually interact with him on either end of the trip. Simple.

Yeah I got that, but it still doesn't explain how a 12 year old kid gets into her bedroom.

But it doesn't really matter, it was just a minor dumb subplot. We're hoping that this one gets picked back up, but doesn't look good.
post #229 of 237 Old 02-25-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

Yeah I got that, but it still doesn't explain how a 12 year old kid gets into her bedroom.

Ah, more specific .... You'd be surprised at what a determined 12yr old can do.
post #230 of 237 Old 02-25-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

We're hoping that this one gets picked back up, but doesn't look good.

Doesn't look good? I think its fate was pretty much sealed when they only picked up one additional episode for the season instead of the whole back nine.
post #231 of 237 Old 02-25-2012, 06:55 PM

Liked: 11
It seems that if I like a show, it gets cancelled.

I was pulling for this one; how can people not like:

1) Stewardesses
2) Spies
3) Pilots
4) Travel
5) Love Triangles
6) Eye candy
7) International intrigue

What was missing? "Murdered by pirates"?

http://www.hark.com/clips/nknmvplzfs...red-by-pirates

My RPTV-based "Narnia Theater"
post #232 of 237 Old 02-25-2012, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimProuty View Post

The problem was that the first couple of episodes after the pilot aired were a huge let down. The spy plot was was about as exciting as watching the UPS man deliver packages to your office, there was too much soap opera drama between the sisters, and the 'international' part of it was lost due to the giant budget cuts and crapppy visual effects in the episodes following the pilot. Eventually, the show found a good balance, and was pretty interesting. But by then the audience had mostly fled.
post #233 of 237 Old 02-26-2012, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
A Vampire or Zombie would have helped too.
post #234 of 237 Old 02-26-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimProuty View Post

It seems that if I like a show, it gets cancelled.

I was pulling for this one; how can people not like:

1) Stewardesses
2) Spies
3) Pilots
4) Travel
5) Love Triangles
6) Eye candy
7) International intrigue

http://www.hark.com/clips/nknmvplzfs...red-by-pirates

Good writing. Or (hedging since I haven't seen any of the actual scripts) bad directing of good writing.

But I'm leaning towards just bad writing. It's not in the elements, it's in the execution of those elements.
post #235 of 237 Old 02-28-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
so has there been any OFFICIAL cancellation of the series? I don't care about struck sets, etc. Just wondering if there's been anything in print.
post #236 of 237 Old 02-29-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphish View Post

so has there been any OFFICIAL cancellation of the series? I don't care about struck sets, etc. Just wondering if there's been anything in print.

The only time you'd normally see something in print is if a network decides not to produce or air shows that were part of the original commitment. Like when they pull a show off the air after 2 or three episodes. When a network airs all the episodes that they committed to produce, but does not pick up the option to make any more, it is technically not a cancellation, and is not something you send a press release about. They didn't cancel anything. They made what they said they were going to make, and they just decided not to make any more this year.

If asked, the network PR people would say 'we haven't decided about next season yet'. Mostly because they don't want to embarrass the people involved. But not picking up the back nine was pretty much the death knell for this show. It would be a miracle if Pan Am were on next fall's schedule.
post #237 of 237 Old 03-01-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

If asked, the network PR people would say 'we haven't decided about next season yet'. Mostly because they don't want to embarrass the people involved. But not picking up the back nine was pretty much the death knell for this show. It would be a miracle if Pan Am were on next fall's schedule.

That, plus you can get into all kinds of legal trouble talking about "unofficial" decisions. So every decision is "undecided" right up to the moment it's "official" (in the contractually legal sense of the word with the signatures being put on the paper).
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page