I'm looking forward to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 237 Old 09-25-2011, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Better tune to ABC, 'cuz that's where it is!
post #3 of 237 Old 09-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Fixed title. Saw the screener and will DVR it every week. Nice twist toward the end that just about every reviewer has happily spoiled. Pretty obvious they're trying to capitalize on "Mad Men's" period-piece success. Jury's out over whether that'll happen.

But hey, hot girls having sex and mixing business with intrigue? It's candy. I'll watch.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4 of 237 Old 09-25-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Fixed title. Saw the screener and will DVR it every week. Nice twist toward the end that just about every reviewer has happily spoiled. Pretty obvious they're trying to capitalize on "Mad Men's" period-piece success. Jury's out over whether that'll happen.

But hey, hot girls having sex and mixing business with intrigue? It's candy. I'll watch.

I'll be interested to see episode 2. Because the producers sold a pilot they can't afford to make week after week, and they know it. It will be fascinating to see what they cut to make their budget every week.
post #5 of 237 Old 09-25-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Expect to see more plane interiors and less CGI exteriors (which weren't that good anyway).

The open-air jetways shown at LaGuardia or Kennedy (Idlewild) - whichever it was meant to be - look more space-age than what are in use today. They looked like they must have been fixed walkways and the plane had to pull up close to it. The CGI as a whole painted too pretty of a picture. The sun was practically setting the entire way to London.

I enjoyed it enough to keep watching. Just hope it doesn't start to come off as a derivative of other shows.
post #6 of 237 Old 09-25-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Yeah, whatever the show's CGI budget is, they should just cut it entirely because it looked terrible.

Or maybe that's just a reflection of how much they were forced to stretch their budget even on the pilot, in which case I'm as interested as the person who commented above that they can't afford to keep this going on a weekly basis in seeing what they do the next couple of episodes.
post #7 of 237 Old 09-25-2011, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I enjoyed it. Pilots always blow the VFX budget (ahem Lost was the most expensive pilot in history it very nearly became a miniseries), but on Pan Am it seemed like they were very conscientious of what could be shot practically and what had to be done with VFX or set extensions. There were a lot of FX shots in this show, but probably no more than a show like the pilot of Star Trek: The Next Generation would've had when it first premiered. Both TNG and Lost, however, were 2-hour premieres. The problem with television is that you don't have the time (sometimes commercials and music videos have more time) or the money to invest in FX shots, especially if you have a lot of them, so its tough to get the quality up to feature film standards. Most TV shows just cannot afford Digital Domain or Lucas, and more importantly the breakneck speed of production makes it very difficult. Everything has to be done quickly.

I'm hopeful for this show. It had a strong cast, great production design, nice cinematography (though very clearly shot on an Alexa, the digital-ness of it almost makes the era look too snappy as opposed to the more textured film look of Mad Men).

This show has some heavy hitters and big guns behind it though. Tommy Schlamme (who directed the pilot) was a producer and director on both ER and The West Wing and created the distinctive energetic styles of both shows. Also Sid Ganis is an old school Hollywood producer who's been around since Methuselah, so ABC might actually be able to turn this show into something.
post #8 of 237 Old 09-25-2011, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCTV99 View Post

Most TV shows just cannot afford Digital Domain or Lucas

Correction. No TV show can. Furthermore, DD and ILM would have no idea how to work at a normal episodic pace. The show would be airing before ILM even had a bid out on the job. They do the best work in the world, but they are a very slow moving machine. Which is why, when Lucas was considering at TV show based on Star Wars, he was consulting with television oriented VFX firms. He and is people were smart enough to know they could not have produced that in-house. They just aren't designed for that pace.
post #9 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Well I'm still mad at ABC for cancelling All My Children. And soon One Life To Live. They have enough cheesey talk shows already. The AMC cliffhanger was good on Friday and that show should continue somewhere other than the internet. Who did J.R. shoot? Is Erica Kane really dead? Surely it can be so ... Anyhow, sorry to digress. My mother watched Pan Am and seemed to like it.
post #10 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The captain engages the thrust on their maiden voyage and out comes sappy music?....what the fr@k? Jet engines were silent in the 60s?

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #11 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 02:34 AM
Advanced Member

My DVR's got it, but I won't watch it until I see the ratings in the morning. Read a bunch of positive reviews, and based on my love for aviation I'm probably going to like it, but if Playboy's ratings were any indication, this will crash and burn.
post #12 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 04:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
You wont watch it until you see the ratings? Why does that matter? So if the ratings are bad will you just delete it w/o ever watching?

Afro GT
post #13 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

You wont watch it until you see the ratings? Why does that matter? So if the ratings are bad will you just delete it w/o ever watching?

Some people are reluctant to invest time, attention, emotional energy in scripted shows that are likely to be cancelled early. I understand their position.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #14 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Some people are reluctant to invest time, attention, emotional energy in scripted shows that are likely to be cancelled early. I understand their position.

I have a lot of shows - and this will probably be one of them - that I'll DVR and park. If they do well, I'll catch up. Of course, thanks to my job, I have to watch a lot more television than I'd really care to. Left to my own devices, I'd never watch any singing competition shows. SO burned on those.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #15 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I saw this, and I am not really into romance/love story type shows, but it kept me watching the full hour and didn't put me to sleep. I think the show has a good chance of staying around a while.
post #16 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The only thing I like so far about Pan Am was the Grace Potter version of Fly Me To The Moon used in one of the promos, the score in the pilot was pretty decent too. I don't like or care about any of the characters,and it's hard to believe Mike Vogel (the pilot) was considered to play Kirk in the 2009 movie, he completely lacks charisma.
post #17 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Well, it seems they have resurrected the spirit of Robert Burks, because photography the pilot looked like North by Northwest, except with a little more diffusion. You hear lots of things being described as "slick", but Pan Am was, and then some. Everyone was acting as if everything was earthshaking and important, and the music was terribly insistent, full of John Williams-ish uplifiting themes for planes taking off with lots of horns and sad themes for unhappiness with clarinets. I admit to being genuinely moved by the final shot of the four stews boarding the plane in slow motion with the ending of Bobby Darin's version of "Mack the Knife'' on the soundtrack.

It's watchable but it thinks itself very important and hammers home its themes relentlessly.

CW Hinkle
post #18 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
As far as TV pilots go, it wasn't bad. The primary function of a pilot is to introduce the audience to the "world" of the show. If you can get anything more than that out of it, consider yourself lucky.

As one, who remembers Pan Am and all the hoopla of the 60's, on nostalgia alone, makes it worth a look for me. At first I was not sure about the "spy" connection in the story line, but I am sure that happened much more than anyone will ever know. The Cold War of the 60's was a nasty place and time, and Pan Am was in the perfect place to be a facilitator, since it was an "unofficial" part of the government getting special exemptions and privileges other airlines of the times didn't get for favors. That is one of the reasons it failed. They got too used to the government looking after them instead of running it like a business.

Anyway, I am going to hang with it awhile and see how it works out. It gets a season pass at this point.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #19 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The world of the show and usage of physical props: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...391921594.html
post #20 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ratings for Pan Am weren't bad. In the middle of the pack. 3.1. The second half hour loss was only down slightly from the first, a good sign that people are sticking around and watching. It also held 100% of its lead-in. Another good sign. But the weeks to come will tell the story. Pun intended.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #21 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

The world of the show and usage of physical props: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...391921594.html

Like the line, "But friends convinced him to screen the show in the Pan Am cabin in his garage, which boasts one modern-day update: a flat-screen TV."

Man can not live without his flat-screen TV. I am just sayin'.

post #22 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

As one, who remembers Pan Am and all the hoopla of the 60's, on nostalgia alone, makes it work a look for me. At first I was not sure about the "spy" connection in the story line, but I am sure that happened much more than anyone will ever know.

I thought the nostalgia was a very nice change from the craze of today, so to speak, and the spy portion I think was what kept me tuned in to see what was going to happen with it. This on top of those flight attendants in the bright blue uniforms with their smiles and no cell phones going all over the place was such a breath of fresh air. No TSA groping women and children too.

What would people do today without their cell phones? Sometimes I think we don't know how good we had it back before all this technology. People actually talked to each other when they had something to say, instead of hitting up facebook.

Now if the story starts to take a turn with nothing but romance, and no action aspect, I will likely turn it off.
post #23 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
Yeah, I'm one of those people. I become invested in a show even to the extent of talking to the screen. I DVR everything, and USUALLY wait until the show is well established before beginning to watch. It isn't fair to cancel something a plot driven series in mid season. I can cite many examples of this happening, remember THE NINE which the critics said would be the best show that year, and which never did reveal the "great" ending. How about PERSONS UNKNOWN, V, the KILLING (yeah, I know) as just a few examples. Look at the outrage over RUBICON.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #24 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for that link. I will watch the show based on their effort to be exact and show it like it was.
post #25 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Yet somehow they decided that they were going to make the 60's smoke-free.
post #26 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Lol, that because after Mad Men there were no smokes left.
post #27 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 02:47 PM

I wish they could have at least gotten the nav lights right.
post #28 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 301
post #29 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalist5.1 View Post

My DVR's got it, but I won't watch it until I see the ratings in the morning. Read a bunch of positive reviews, and based on my love for aviation I'm probably going to like it, but if Playboy's ratings were any indication, this will crash and burn.

Watch it. This is the best pilot I have seen in a long time. Every one of the main characters has been developed. The story lines have been neatly set up. Great music and pacing. The very last scene with the four ladies walking in sync with the little girl gawking in amazement was fabulous. Can't wait until next week!
post #30 of 237 Old 09-26-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

According to an article in Entertainment Weekly, Disney said no to the showing of any smoking on the show.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page