'Luck' on HBO - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 263 Old 02-08-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
And it's not just the mumbling. It's the mumbling with Spanish and Irish accents, not to mention Nolte's gargled-with-gin-and-razor-blades rasp.

I wasn't a JFC fan, but I was a Deadwood one. I enjoy not being spoonfed everything -- within reason - and I certainly know next to nothing about this world. But that's OK. The direction and cinematography are great and will definitely keep me interested in spite of the learning curve. But subtitles would be a plus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 263 Old 02-08-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I just make believe I understand what they're saying and I'm much happier. Seriously, I don't think I'm totally in the dark. I'm just waiting to see how it plays out.

What was the Peruvian trainer saying to Ace about his horse - something about it's legs being messed up? That isn't the same horse, Delphi, that Nolte was talking about that had it's legs broken for the 30 million dollar insurance policy? I wouldn't think a race horse could come back after having broken legs.

larry

In case people don't know it, the "Delphi" story is true.

As to the inscrutability of the dialog etc., I'm going on the assumption that all will become clear in time. If I was there in person I wouldn't understand any more than I do as a viewer, so it makes sense to me to wait it out and enjoy the ride.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #93 of 263 Old 02-08-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

As to the inscrutability of the dialog etc., I'm going on the assumption that all will become clear in time. If I was there in person I wouldn't understand any more than I do as a viewer, so it makes sense to me to wait it out and enjoy the ride.

Exactly. With HBO forcing their season down to 9 episodes, there's just no way that all these intertwined stories could be told if time was wasted on explaining lingo and backgrounds or characters. I highly recommend multiple viewings - a lot more will come clear. And all these exact same things were said about Deadwood when it was airing. People can invest the time and effort needed to mine the gold here, or not.
post #94 of 263 Old 02-09-2012, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

No big surprised that it really happened given the kind of $$$ involved.

Btw, here's a nice recap of episode 2: http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...ap-episode-two It helped.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #95 of 263 Old 02-09-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

No big surprised that it really happened given the kind of $$$ involved.

Btw, here's a nice recap of episode 2: http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...ap-episode-two It helped.

larry

It was nice to recap the two episodes. Nothing new here, no explaining needed, maybe because I'm very familiar with that real life "genre."

Regardless, this horse racing thing is only the backdrop for classic story telling. A fantastic backdrop that is generally untapped with a wealth of emotions. The same way the Black Hills gold rush was for Deadwood.

And I didn't like this guy's last line-- The worlds of horse-racing and gambling are still confounding here; fingers crossed that Luck's storylines all eventually congeal into something that, you know, makes sense as a whole; He is lazy.

I find this show to be as much of a "chore" to "understand" as DW was. The advantage I had with DW was coming late (very late) to the party and watching it all on BD. This 3 or more episode at a time viewing makes a world of a difference. Don't have that option right now.

To this guy in that link-- Stick with it and stop your whining. Have a viewing party-- open a can of peaches. Maybe someone in the room can spoon feed you.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #96 of 263 Old 02-09-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

To this guy in that link-- Stick with it and stop your whining. Have a viewing party-- open a can of peaches. Maybe someone in the room can spoon feed you.

Ooooh, ouch.

Hopefully I won't have to reach for the Gerber's now that I've found those recaps.
post #97 of 263 Old 02-09-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Ooooh, ouch.

Hopefully I won't have to reach for the Gerber's now that I've found those recaps.

I purposely added "to that guy in the link" as to be sure that it's understood that it is directed at him, not anyone here You already said you will invest a little more because you are fully aware that you most likely will be rewarded.

And it's worth the read. I just don't understand this guy. He obviously is a Milch fan. Why was a western genre okay to ride out but this one not?

Larry

post #98 of 263 Old 02-09-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mercedes Ruehl will join the cast of Luck in season 2

Quote:

Ruehl will reprise her first season guest-starring role as Julietta Caligari, the mother of Renzo (Ritchie Coster).

post #99 of 263 Old 02-10-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I've only seen the pilot so far, but the scene where the horse broke its leg and had to be euthanized was disturbing. The shot of its leg buckling during the race looked very real, but I assumed it was CGI. Now I read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16979834

Could that have been the actual injury and killing of the first horse mentioned in the article? Seems hard to believe, but...

Doug
post #100 of 263 Old 02-10-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

I've only seen the pilot so far, but the scene where the horse broke its leg and had to be euthanized was disturbing. The shot of its leg buckling during the race looked very real, but I assumed it was CGI. Now I read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16979834

Could that have been the actual injury and killing of the first horse mentioned in the article? Seems hard to believe, but...

Doug

It is most definitely CG.
post #101 of 263 Old 02-13-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Not one comment on Ep. 3. That should tell you something.
IMO there is no compelling reason to continue to follow this series.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #102 of 263 Old 02-13-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post

Some might not have gotten around to it yet, with the Grammy's (that was a waste of time).

I just watched it now. Story and character development episode, not too much excitement but a lot of information and more inside baseball stuff that should have been educational for most of the non horse fans here. There were some lingo thrown around that if you don't know you will probably figure out, like -- "the horse worked a bullet last time" which tells them that the horse is training well, fast.

Still good stuff. Loved Gus telling the young buck, "You haven't met me yet."

Larry

post #103 of 263 Old 02-13-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

OK, I'll go.

An easy to recognize agenda is not in the script.
So far, this is very much like walking in on a set of people you know nothing about and no one is interested in letting you in on their lives. If you stick around long enough, you might learn you're way around. Either hang and earn it or F-Off? Don't know the local lingo? Double F-Off!
Want character development? Here it is. Polar opposite of Californication/House Of Lies.

I could be wrong, but that's my guess
post #104 of 263 Old 02-14-2012, 03:31 AM

Ace's new about-to-be flunky should add something new. And, I'm pretty impressed how they're developing Nolte's character. Escalante and the vet - there's an odd pair.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #105 of 263 Old 02-14-2012, 03:34 AM

Quote:

Like there's others like myself that record shows and watch them later at their leisure?

larry

post #106 of 263 Old 02-14-2012, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I, for one, completely forgot to record the episode! And I don't see it listed for replay. Plus, Cablevision does not include HBO on Demand with your HBO subscription!
post #107 of 263 Old 02-14-2012, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
imo, so far, watchable... but not compelling.

Comcast, E.D.L.
post #108 of 263 Old 02-14-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney Jackson View Post

I, for one, completely forgot to record the episode! And I don't see it listed for replay. Plus, Cablevision does not include HBO on Demand with your HBO subscription!

It's playing several times again before Ep 4 airs next Sunday.

http://www.hbo.com/#/schedule/series/LUCK/PMRS1863
post #109 of 263 Old 02-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

It's playing several times again before Ep 4 airs next Sunday.

http://www.hbo.com/#/schedule/series/LUCK/PMRS1863

Thanks!
post #110 of 263 Old 02-14-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

And it's not just the mumbling. It's the mumbling with Spanish and Irish accents, not to mention Nolte's gargled-with-gin-and-razor-blades rasp.

But subtitles would be a plus.

I watched ep 2 last night and the above post pretty much sums up my experience. You can't turn this program up loud enough to catch half of what's said...then there's the language barrier. Nolte is incomprehensible.. I'm going to have a tough time lasting until ep.4 where Filmixer states it will start taking off (or making sense...or something).

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #111 of 263 Old 02-16-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Yes, because the success of a shows relies on the traffic on a niche message board.

Great show. I for one love the cryptic writing. It's like nothing else on TV today. Tip for everyone: use subtitles.
post #112 of 263 Old 02-16-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruven42 View Post

Great show. I for one love the cryptic writing. It's like nothing else on TV today. Tip for everyone: use subtitles.

Multiple viewings is also a good idea. There's gold in this series for anyone who wants to take the time to find it. If anything, there's too much going on, not too little. Multiple stories are tied together by the events at the track. Not easy to keep it all sorted out, to be sure. The Milch dialog alone will keep me watching.
post #113 of 263 Old 02-16-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
^^^ Not to mention the introduction of Joan Allen.
post #114 of 263 Old 02-17-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

From HOTP thread posted by dad1153

TV Sports
Jeremy Lin getting a national TV audience
By Michale Hiestand, USA Today - Feb. 17, 2012

Stevens Lucks into new career

Just because Gary Stevens won eight Triple Crown races, don't assume he got his role as a hard-drinking jockey in the intense HBO series Luck because he can ride. In fact, he's not allowed to.

"I have a stunt rider because of insurance," he says. "Paralysis or death would maybe cause problems for the production."

Uh, probably. "And I'm not allowed to ride my Harley Davidson, or jump out of airplanes — which I'd never do anyway."

But then, he'd never planned to go into acting or sportscasting. Stevens says that until the last few years of his career as a jockey — he retired in 2005 — he had "no other ambition to do anything other than train race horses. But unexpected opportunities arose."

Like the 2003 film Seabiscuit, where Stevens also played a jockey — and also wasn't allowed to ride. Stevens was sent to spend three days with an acting coach, who phoned the producers the second day. Stevens figured he was a goner. Instead, he heard the acting coach say: "I'm sending him home. He's ready. I don't want to screw him up."

In 2005, Stevens joined NBC, where he remains a lead analyst on its Triple Crown coverage.

In Luck (Sunday, 9 p.m. ET), a dark drama whose cast includes Dustin Hoffman as a scheming ex-con and Nick Nolte as an owner with a scandal in his past, Stevens' part was created with him in mind. He says he's known show writer David Milch for 30 years. "I rode race horses for him. He loves to play the ponies. … And every Luck character is based on certain personalities at race tracks."

And he trots out lots of racing lingo in his scripts. But cast members, including Stevens, use weekly Monday night Twitter chats —#LuckChat — to help viewers make translations.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post21658902

Larry

post #115 of 263 Old 02-17-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It's a good thing I clicked over to the original post w/ the entire article. Otherwise, I might have asked a stupid question like: "What does Jeremy Lin have to do w/ this article or w/ Luck?

Doug
post #116 of 263 Old 02-17-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's a good thing I clicked over to the original post w/ the entire article. Otherwise, I might have asked a stupid question like: "What does Jeremy Lin have to do w/ this article or w/ Luck?

Doug

Whatta you a wise guy? I only added the whole article as respect to the original poster and thread even though it's like a non sequitur. But it is a funny headline to see, in the Luck thread-- Lin. I guess the Lin--"insert fancy phrase here" hysteria is popping up everywhere.

Larry

post #117 of 263 Old 02-17-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Doug

Lin is going to guest star...as a gambler at the table with Jerry...on a future episode of Luck.

All Lin....all the time......

BTW--who is the actor playing the Asian guy at the table with Jerry? Don't see him listed on the IMDB site nor is he listed as a main character on the HBO site and I'm having a hard time figuring out where I've seen him before

Edit: Dennis Dun is his name. He was on the "more characters page" of IMDB---I knew he looked familiar---The Last Emperor and Big Trouble in Little China"
post #118 of 263 Old 02-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

4 episodes in... if this series were to suddenly be pulled/cancelled; i really wouldn't care. for me, there is no outstanding plot line that has grabbed me and that i must follow.

will keep watching, but luck seems to not be going anywhere very fast.

Comcast, E.D.L.
post #119 of 263 Old 02-20-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Excellent episode.

It's like being in a 5 star chef's kitchen peaking at his 6-burner stove-- each cooking up his own gourmet entree. On one burner there's Ace and his former business partner Mike, played so masterfully by Michael Gambon on that cool yacht. I'm saving up for a pool. That scene was chilling.

And then there's another burner with the expanded Leo Chan gambling action going on and we're finding out that Leo's involved in some broken nose dealings.

And then there's Rosie, stepping inside the room, getting her big break, where the great hall of fame jockey Julie Krone put on her silks -and on and on. There's so much happening here. Love it!

That race was great drama too. Once again, the inside baseball stuff helps the story move along - if you know it- but shouldn't be a speed bump if you don't. For instance, the horse was bleeding as it was running down the stretch. Lasix is usually given to horses for this ailment, nothing to drastic. But it was great-added suspense, especially with Nolte and the handkerchief and the Vet and her relationship with the interesting trainer.

And of course the time of 107 and change is phenomenal. The track record is a blazing 106 and change. The normal "very fast" horse would do 108-109. Compare this to another sport; it's like a baseball pitcher tossing a 100mph plus fastball.

Larry

post #120 of 263 Old 02-20-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I agree, an outstanding episode and firing on all cylinders. I liked Ace's comment about how honest people don't know how to take "yes" for an answer. It'll be interesting to see how Ace's scam plays out. Owning 51% of the track, he must be planning to wind up owning it outright with the "partners" getting screwed.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page