post #1 of 27 Old 09-26-2011, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBO View Post

"Enlightened" is the new offbeat HBO series written by Mike White and starring Laura Dern as Amy, a self-destructive health and beauty executive who has a very public workplace meltdown. After three months of contemplation and meditation at a treatment center in Hawaii, Amy returns rested and ready to pick up the pieces of her old life and reshape the world she left behind. That includes delivering well-meaning, but generally unwanted advice to her mother Helen (Diane Ladd), with whom Amy is now living; her slacker ex-husband Levi (Luke Wilson) whose only solace comes from recreational drugs; and the crew of awkward co-workers Amy finds herself reassigned to. The series follows Amy as she navigates an unconventional path between who she is, who she wants to be...and what everyone is willing to tolerate from her.

"Enlightened" premiers Monday, October 10, 2011 at 9:30 PM.

For more information about the show, please see the official link below.
http://www.hbo.com/#/enlightened

This show could be good. I like a bunch of the cast members.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Friendly reminder,

The series premier of "Enlightened" starts tonight at 8:30 PM CST.
post #3 of 27 Old 10-10-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 496
I haven't decided if I want to watch this yet. Sure it's got a name cast, but the premise doesn't really appeal.

Only the fact it's on HBO is kind of making me lean towards watching it.

post #4 of 27 Old 10-10-2011, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just watched the premier.

It was OK. Might be a little too girlie for me. I'll check back next week to see what's going on.
post #5 of 27 Old 10-11-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 164
This is going to be fun. I've taught meditation courses and known many people who have felt a change in their lives and felt conflicted dealing with past acquaintances they feel are stuck in a rut. And then there is the "Office Space" element in this series that it looks like they are especially going to have fun with next week (with Mike White doing some acting too). As far as I'm concerned you can't bash attitudes in corporate America enough (yup, I'm a "Dilbert" fan).

This also falls into the "United States of Tara" and "The Big C" genre.
post #6 of 27 Old 10-12-2011, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nielsen Overnights (Cable)
HBO's Enlightened' Off To A Soft Start
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - October 12th, 2011

Opening a new night of original programming is not easy, so expectations for HBO's new Monday 9 PM comedy block which faces CBS' comedies, ABC's Dancing With The Stars, Fox's House and ESPN's Monday Night Football were modest. Even by that standard, the well-received new Mike White/Laura Dern comedy Enlightened opened low with 210,000 viewers at 9:30 PM.

It slipped a little from its lead-in, the third season premiere of Bored To Death, which drew 240,000 viewers. Quirky noir comedy Bored To Dead was down dramatically from its season premiere last fall, which averaged 1.05 million viewers, but back then, the show aired on Sundays following Boardwalk Empire, which drew 3.33 million viewers on the night of the Bored debut. This time around, it is dark comedy Hung that follows Boardwalk Empire and, like Bored to Death last year, it opened with 1.1 million viewers earlier this month. (Boardwalk Empire logged 2.6 million that night) Sophomore comedy How To Make It To America dropped further to 467,000 viewers at 10:30 PM.

While soft, the numbers for Bored and Enlightened were only slightly down from the average for another half-hour series that aired outside HBO's signature Sunday night, drama In Treatment.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/hbos...-a-soft-start/
post #7 of 27 Old 10-12-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

This is going to be fun. I've taught meditation courses and known many people who have felt a change in their lives and felt conflicted dealing with past acquaintances they feel are stuck in a rut. And then there is the "Office Space" element in this series that it looks like they are especially going to have fun with next week (with Mike White doing some acting too). As far as I'm concerned you can't bash attitudes in corporate America enough (yup, I'm a "Dilbert" fan).

This also falls into the "United States of Tara" and "The Big C" genre.

Very cool, Brian.

I also agree that it falls into the same area as USoT and The Big C.
post #8 of 27 Old 10-17-2011, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Much better episode tonight.

Her new coworkers and boss are a strange group. They made me laugh.
post #9 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brian Conrad,

How are you liking the recent episodes?

I thought the ending for tonight's episode was charming. How Amy went to lunch with Tyler and blew off her rude 'friend'.

I still think coworkers are a silly group of people.
post #10 of 27 Old 10-25-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm liking the way the show is developing and how it is also very much delving into "Office Space" and "Dilbert" territory.
post #11 of 27 Old 12-14-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good deal.

The season finale was this past Monday. Did you watch it?

Overall, and not trying to be rude, I thought it wasn't a good finale. Maybe I wasn't paying attention or something.

A unique show, but I'd prefer HBO's other offerings a lot more.
post #12 of 27 Old 12-20-2011, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

HBO renews 'Enlightened,' cancels comedy trio
Tuesday, December 20, 2011 by Stuart L.

HBO has renewed its low-rated but critically applauded comedy "Enlightened" while canceling half-hour laffers "Hung," "How to Make It in America" and "Bored to Death."

The fate of the four comedies has weighed heavily on programming president Michael Lombardo. He, along with HBO co-president Richard Plepler, made the choice to ax the three shows, a rare housecleaning move for the payer cabler, in order to create more room on Sunday nights for a slew of incoming series the pay cabler has set to debut in 2012.

Of the three shows that were canceled, "Hung" had the largest audience. Series, starring Thomas Jane as a well-endowed high school teacher who makes a living as a male prostitute, averaged 3.9 million viewers -- including multiple linear telecasts, DVR and On Demand usage -- in its third season. However, that was down 44% from the 6.9 million garnered during the second season.

The skein was created by exec producers Colette Burson and Dmitry Lipkin. Other exec producers are Scott Stephens, Alexander Payne, Michael Rosenberg, Noreen Halpern and John Morayniss.

Second-year series "How to Make It in America" and third-year skein "Bored to Death" drew an identical 2.3 million apiece, each down about 25% from their respective previous seasons.

"How to Make It in America," about a pair of Manhattan twentysomethings looking to make their way in the fashion business, was created by Ian Edelman, who exec produced with Stephen Levinson, Mark Wahlberg, Julian Farino, Rob Weiss and Jill Soloway.

"Bored to Death" was created by novelist Jonathan Ames, who exec produced with Sarah Condon, Stephanie Davis and Dave Becky. Series starred Jason Schwartzman, Ted Danson and Zach Galifianakis

Ironically, of the four comedies whose future was on the line, "Enlightened" had the smallest audience. Only 1.5 million viewers tuned in to see the Laura Dern and Mike White exec produced series about a woman (Dern) who returns home from a treatment center to face a mind-numbing job in the corporate world.

Through ratings were small, "Enlightened" was a favorite of many critics and had a passionate following. The series had a healthy metacritic.com score and it scored on the kudos front last week when both the show and Dern were nominated for a Golden Globe.

"This is a big deal for a show like us," White said last week after the nominations were announced. "It's cool for a show like 'Modern Family,' but for us it's a whole different thing."

If not for HBO's incoming slate of new series, Lombardo and Plepler might have renewed one or two of the shows that were canceled. Net, however, is under a strict Sunday-only programming slate going forward -- with the exception of one or two smaller Friday shows -- the strategy for 2012 is to not air original series on Mondays.

That experiment, which had been attempted previously with "Six Feet Under" and "Big Love" many seasons ago, looks to be shelved for awhile now. HBO tested "Enlightened" on Mondays during its first season with poor results.

Among the new comedy series HBO has arriving in the new year are "Girls," created by and starring Lena Dunham; "Veep," with Julia Louis-Dreyfus; "Life's Too Short," with Ricky Gervais; and "Angry Boys," from "Summer Heights High" creator Chris Lilley. Also set to return is the third season of Danny McBride baseball laffer "Eastbound & Down."

On the drama side, Jan. 29 marks the debut of the David Milch-Michael Mann horseracing drama "Luck." The Aaron Sorkin project starring Jeff Daniels, tentatively titled "Newsroom," is looking like a possible summer entry. Also arriving are the return seasons of "Game of Thrones," "Treme" and "Boardwalk Empire."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118047762?refCatId=14
post #13 of 27 Old 01-02-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Season 2 of Enlightened will start on Sunday, January 13, 2013 at 9:30 PM CST (may need to double check the time zone.)

I like the cast, but the premise of the show is a bit weird and annoying. Ha tongue.gif
post #14 of 27 Old 01-19-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just watched the season premier. Half of me thinks she is wrong and is falling getting into a downward spiral. An OK episode.
post #15 of 27 Old 01-19-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I like the series and it's like watching her as a train wreck in slow motion. We already know her latest scheme is not going to turn out well and that's the fun of it. biggrin.gif
post #16 of 27 Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I liked the music for this week's episode. Poor Omar, getting blamed for something he did not do. He got fired frown.gif
I liked his character, wonder if he's gone for the season. I assume so since he's not in the office anymore.
post #17 of 27 Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The coke scene was something else.
post #18 of 27 Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

I liked the music for this week's episode. Poor Omar, getting blamed for something he did not do. He got fired frown.gif
I liked his character, wonder if he's gone for the season. I assume so since he's not in the office anymore.

he had it coming, being a spy for that douchebag of a boss.
post #19 of 27 Old 01-28-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter65 View Post

The coke scene was something else.

I liked the whole rehab subject. It was a nice change of pace from the typical office setting storyline.

Wonder what happened to the lady and the guy who he went to the hotel with. Hopefully the lady is safe, the older guy was a little creepy.

Overall good episode. Wonder how they mix this storyline into the paranoia office subject.
post #20 of 27 Old 01-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

I think this story line mixes with Levi trying to get back with Amy. There will be a complication because I think Amy develops feelings for the journalist.
post #21 of 27 Old 02-09-2013, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

wow, she actually recruited her boss Dougie. That's pretty cool. Good episode.
post #22 of 27 Old 02-09-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I liked the turn the episode took. Dougie was definitely a "bad boss" that could have been shown the door anytime though clueless CEOs tend to overvalues such types. I also liked the link between emerging fascism in American business with the government and business partnership guy she first saw on YouTube and then meets at her company.
post #23 of 27 Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm glad that her and Jeff finally started to date. Well, they kissed and all. I thought it was a sweet episode until her ex came back into play. Then it became a "debbie downer".
post #24 of 27 Old 03-19-2013, 11:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 187
From the "Hot Off The Press" Thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' page). frown.gif

TV Notes
'Enlightened' Canceled by HBO
By Tim Kenneally, TheWrap.com - Mar. 19, 2013

"Enlightened" is no more.

HBO has canceled the drama-comedy, which starred Laura Dern, after two seasons.

"It was a very difficult decision," the network said. "We’ve decided not to continue 'Enlightened' for a third season. We’re proud of the show and we look forward to working with Mike White and Laura Dern in the future."

The second, eight-episode season of "Enlightened" wrapped in early March.

Created by "The School of Rock" writer Mike White, "Enlightened" starred Dern as Amy Jellicoe, who decides to become an agent of change after suffering a mental breakdown.

Luke Wilson and Diane Ladd also starred.

Though the series had its fans, "Enlightened" failed to capture much of an audience. With its Seaon Two premiere in January, the series drew just 300,000 viewers, which though small, was a 43 percent boost over the series premiere.

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/enlightened-canceled-hbo-81846
post #25 of 27 Old 03-20-2013, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ Thanks for the update, dad.

Sad to see it go. I actually never knew the season finale was already over. I was wondering why it hasn't been on TV for the past few weeks.
post #26 of 27 Old 03-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Bummer. I liked this show and will miss it but at least it ended on a good note.
post #27 of 27 Old 03-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Kinda boring, but I stuck it out to see where the storyline was going. I could see how the rating weren't good. Compare the forum action on this vs other HBO or Showtime series.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page