'Revenge' on ABC HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 334 Old 09-27-2011, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I searched but couldn't find a thread on this show. This is my favorite new show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 334 Old 09-27-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I liked it as well and hope it develops. But, it's a little hard to imagine how far they can go with the setup established that 'x' number of people are responsible for the dirty deed and the point is to get revenge on them. I suppose other targets, etc could develop from branching plots, but the premise seems limited.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #3 of 334 Old 09-27-2011, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have seen this plot in other movies (Asian movies in particular) as well, but it's usually part of a bigger theme. Chow Yun-Fat made a famous movie with this theme. He infiltrated the family of an enemy with the intention to kill him but fell in love with the target's daughter along the way. That complicated things. Would their love for each other result in the forgiveness of the father? Would he kill the target anyway? If he did, how could he live with the love of his live?

I don't expect to see the same thing here, but anything is possible. They have to find a way to make it long and interesting.
post #4 of 334 Old 09-27-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
A guilty pleasure. I'm a bit ashamed to say I really like it.
post #5 of 334 Old 09-27-2011, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I remember seeing something about a show or movie that's basically a reworking of Comte De Monte Cristo - is this that show?
post #6 of 334 Old 09-27-2011, 06:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 303
I enjoyed it as well, and as long as it doesn't descend into The CW or USA Network storytelling style I'll stick around.

There was a post in the HOTP thread where the creator talked about how we will have answers/resolution, to the current story by season's end(unlike The Killing). He said that next season would be a new "revenge" story/plotline but didn't really go into too much detail on how that was going to work, whether the same actors would return, or if a new set of characters and situation would take place for the second series. The bold thing to do would be to reboot with different actors and a different location and situation, but this is American broadcast TV and they rarely ever do anything bold.
post #7 of 334 Old 09-27-2011, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 380
IMHO, it seems like a total primetime soap opera.
post #8 of 334 Old 09-27-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Garbage...

A shame because I like Madeline Stowe.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #9 of 334 Old 09-27-2011, 09:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

IMHO, it seems like a total primetime soap opera.

Yes, it definitely has all the hallmarks of that sort of show, I'm hoping that it doesn't become just that though, that there will be an interesting, compelling story set upon the "soap opera" base.
post #10 of 334 Old 09-27-2011, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

...I'm hoping that it doesn't become just that though, that there will be an interesting, compelling story set upon the "soap opera" base.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Someone should have told them that the whole show then last few minutes of the plot then jump back in time to the start routine is so played out.
post #11 of 334 Old 09-28-2011, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I watched the pilot but that will be it, didn't care for the premise or program.
post #12 of 334 Old 09-28-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I agree that Revenge is a guilty pleasure but, then, I also agree that it is a prime time soapopera. It is saved by a good cast, high production values and occasional excitement. I'm going to stick with it for the time being at least.

The high point of the pilot was the scene where our blonde young heroine slyly exposed the affair in which the husband of the Madeline Stowe character, Victoria, was involved with Victoria's supposed friend. It made me laugh out loud. By the way, Victoria strikes me as the Bitch Goddess from central casting.
post #13 of 334 Old 09-28-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So this is what soap opera is supposed to be like? Then I regret missing all those soap operas. I rate this show higher than all those a-dime-a-dozen shows where special effects, car chase, unbelievable actions replace intelligent acting and storyline.
post #14 of 334 Old 09-29-2011, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I tried watching the pilot. I was interested because I've always enjoyed Madeleine Stowe. I think the last thing I saw her in was 12 Monkeys (although I must have seen something with her after that). She still looks about the same - gorgeous. Is it genes and/or healthy lifestyle and/or a little help from a surgeon?

Also, the review in the Washington Post was very favorable, and the young blonde is very attractive.

Despite all that, I just couldn't get interested in it. I lasted about 15 minutes. Sorry, but soaps about the super rich, no matter how attractive they are, just can't connect with me.

Doug
post #15 of 334 Old 09-29-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I"m still enjoying it. It gets a bit complex with so many layers of characters, but it's engaging and entertaining.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #16 of 334 Old 09-29-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

...I was interested because I've always enjoyed Madeleine Stowe. I think the last thing I saw her in was 12 Monkeys (although I must have seen something with her after that). She still looks about the same - gorgeous. Is it genes and/or healthy lifestyle and/or a little help from a surgeon?

Yes; I quote my own posts sometimes.

I just looked up Madeleine Stowe on IMDB. I'm shocked - she's 5 days older than me! For some reason, I thought she was a few years younger. I'm even more impressed at how good she looks. I'm not that pretty anymore.

And, I did see her in something after 12 Monkeys. It was The General's Daughter, but it was a pretty forgettable movie.

Doug
post #17 of 334 Old 09-29-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

I"m still enjoying it. It gets a bit complex with so many layers of characters, but it's engaging and entertaining.

So am I, call it my guilty pleasure of the new season if you will. One area where I think the show is shaky though is the young bar kid, I think we could do away with completely that whole poor-boy/rich-girl storyline, it just steals valuable screen time away from the main story/characters and adds zilch to the overall story - unless, he's somehow involved with the imminent death of golden boy, but two episodes in I don't see how that would make any sense.
post #18 of 334 Old 09-29-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Golden boy wasn't the boyfriend of the girl poor boy wants. He had no reason to kill him. I thought Nolan might have something to do with the murder of golden boy because he was jealous. I think the rich girl/poor boy story here is between Amanda and the bar owner. The ruining of the stock broker guy was way too easy.
post #19 of 334 Old 09-29-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

The ruining of the stock broker guy was way too easy.

I agree however I think it's more the fault of today's TV's mentality. Each episode's story line has to be wrapped up. I guess viewers or syndication demand such. For some unknown reason I really like how the lead actress plays her character... I even buy the premise but it would be more satisfying if there was one big (more believable) sting that took all of them down.
post #20 of 334 Old 09-29-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

Golden boy wasn't the boyfriend of the girl poor boy wants. He had no reason to kill him. I thought Nolan might have something to do with the murder of golden boy because he was jealous. I think the rich girl/poor boy story here is between Amanda and the bar owner. The ruining of the stock broker guy was way too easy.

I got that, I was talking about the younger brother of bar boy and the sister of polo boy, that's why I said it is, so far, superfluous to the main story, unless there is some future connection between the 'tweens angst and polo boy's death that we haven't been privy to yet.

Actually though, weren't the 'tweens on the beach when polo boy was killed? That makes their storyline even less interesting as they couldn't have had anything to do with his death. I don't know, it just seems like their storyline is only there to try and draw in a particular demographic(young) that otherwise would likely not be interested in this type of show.

Need to get some names down for these people.
post #21 of 334 Old 09-29-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I agree however I think it's more the fault of today's TV's mentality. Each episode's story line has to be wrapped up. I guess viewers or syndication demand such. For some unknown reason I really like how the lead actress plays her character... I even buy the premise but it would be more satisfying if there was one big (more believable) sting that took all of them down.

If this was a film it would likely play out like you suggest, TV is definitely dictating how the story is played out here. I admit though that seeing these people go like they have fuels a primal urge to "get even" which I'm enjoying.

Also agree the lead character is playing her role very well, at times she seems a bit on edge and others as if she is in complete control, which is most all of the time yet there's a softness that's peaking out from the main, focused "revenge" emotion that's dominating most all of her moves.
post #22 of 334 Old 09-29-2011, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know, it just seems like their storyline is only there to try and draw in a particular demographic(young) that otherwise would likely not be interested in this type of show.

I tend to agree. At the same time they need a few undercurrents to keep things interesting. Plus, I have already wondered where do they go after the murder... how long can the revenge aspect carry the show. One season? Two...
post #23 of 334 Old 09-29-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I admit though that seeing these people go like they have fuels a primal urge to "get even" which I'm enjoying.

That's each week's red cross closing scene.

Quote:

Also agree the lead character is playing her role very well, at times she seems a bit on edge and others as if she is in complete control, which is most all of the time yet there's a softness that's peaking out from the main, focused "revenge" emotion that's dominating most all of her moves.

Exactly. She isn't one dimensional. Now if some of the other characters weren't it would be a great show.
post #24 of 334 Old 09-29-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:

...Also agree the lead character is playing her role very well, at times she seems a bit on edge and others as if she is in complete control, which is most all of the time yet there's a softness that's peaking out from the main, focused "revenge" emotion that's dominating most all of her moves.

If only thay had written Madeleine Stowe's character so multi-dimensional. She is as dramatically flat as a cardboard cutout, and Stowe is a fine actress!

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #25 of 334 Old 09-29-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
It seems like the cable networks are producing better series than the majors. Justified and Bones come to mind.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #26 of 334 Old 09-29-2011, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

It seems like the cable networks are producing better series than the majors. Justified and Bones come to mind.

I think The Good Wife can compete with most anybody. Overall I think cable goes for different demographics.
post #27 of 334 Old 09-29-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

If only thay had written Madeleine Stowe's character so multi-dimensional. She is as dramatically flat as a cardboard cutout, and Stowe is a fine actress!

I think their excuse might be two-fold. They would have to emphasis her part which would focus the storyline elsewhere and reduce the revenge factor. It's much more fun to knock off really evil people.
post #28 of 334 Old 09-29-2011, 05:05 PM

Liked: 10
Does Jack know that Emily is Amanda ? Really like Jack !
post #29 of 334 Old 09-29-2011, 05:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffyrose View Post

Does Jack know that Emily is Amanda ? Really like Jack !

No, he doesn't know it's her, but his dog sure does!
post #30 of 334 Old 09-29-2011, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I, too, have been enjoying Emily VanCamp's performances as Emily/Amanda. On the surface, she is rich, beautiful and smart but underneath all that is a tough cookie who is ruthless enough to know how to get even without getting mad.

I agree that Madeleine Stowe has been largely wasted as the one dimensionally evil, Victoria Grayson. Maybe she'll get a chance in later episodes to display more of her skill than she's been called on to do so far.

I am liking the nerdy Nolan Ross character better all the time. He is just as smart as Emily and, in his way, just as tough, and his weirdness has been interesting and fun.

Despite its soap opera aspects, Revenge is solid entertainment.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page